2014 mustang v6 possible radiator leak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #1

Region: Maryland
2014 mustang v6 possible radiator leak

So I recently checked my coolant level and it was below the cold fill line, so I added some 50/50 coolant. Later that same day I check the coolant and it's basically back down to where I first added coolant in. There's no overheating and the coolant light isn't on, it doesn't even go below the point where I first added but I'm wondering if this is normal. How should I check for leaks? With more coolant or could I use water?

Thanks
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Look for evidence of leaks from the waterpump located on the front of the engine. There have been many that have leaked prematurely.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
Look for evidence of leaks from the waterpump located on the front of the engine. There have been many that have leaked prematurely.
That's my plan, could I just use distilled water? Don't want to waste coolant if I have a leak.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
That's my plan, could I just use distilled water? Don't want to waste coolant if I have a leak.

Yes you can add water but if you get the mixture off too much then you will have overheating issues in the summer and freezing in the winter so make sure you have a coolant tester.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, just get it fixed and then a full flush and filled with coolant before the weather gets cold. Don't want it to freeze.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yes. Water wont hurt anything while you find your leak. As long as you don't freeze of course.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
o
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Yea, just get it fixed and then a full flush and filled with coolant before the weather gets cold. Don't want it to freeze.

You won't have to flush and refill unless there is something in the coolant. Just get non diluted coolant and you can use a tester and get it back to range.

wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if it is the water pump there is a history of them leaking from the degas hose NOT having a check valve. search for updated degas hose or just look in the V6 forum there are threads about it.

most folks have had luck getting it replaced (pump) under wtty 5/60 I did my hose a preventive

Mud
Old 10-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Take it to your dealer. They will check it out and replace it for free on your 2014 Mustang Post back and tell us what they (your Ford dealer) tell you.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
Yes you can add water but if you get the mixture off too much then you will have overheating issues in the summer and freezing in the winter so make sure you have a coolant tester.

It will not overheat in the summer, but could freeze in the winter. We don't run ANY coolant in my car because I can't be dumping coolant on track if I have a problem, since it will cause a yellow flag for cleanup, where water wont.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Ford TSB 14-0212 addresses this issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12662641_10206963650108158_7574534083889156108_n.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	205566  
Steeda CAI, 73mm TB, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, DynoTech 3.5" Aluminum DS, Ford Racing 3.55 Gears, Steeda Pro-Action Struts & Shocks, Steeda Adjustable Sway Bars, Steeda, Upper Strut Mounts, Hotchkis Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arm, J&M Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms, J&M Adjustable Steel Panhard Bar, Tune by MPT
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
It will not overheat in the summer, but could freeze in the winter. We don't run ANY coolant in my car because I can't be dumping coolant on track if I have a problem, since it will cause a yellow flag for cleanup, where water wont.
Antifreeze/Coolant raises the temperature at which water boils, so it does help prevent overheating in hot temperatures.

I hope that you are strictly using only distilled water in your cooling system.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
So I recently checked my coolant level and it was below the cold fill line, so I added some 50/50 coolant. Later that same day I check the coolant and it's basically back down to where I first added coolant in. There's no overheating and the coolant light isn't on, it doesn't even go below the point where I first added but I'm wondering if this is normal. How should I check for leaks? With more coolant or could I use water?

Thanks
What ever became of this possible problem?
Hopefully it's been diagnosed by now.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
What ever became of this possible problem?
Hopefully it's been diagnosed by now.
I actually got some of the cheap coolant repair liquid from amazon, like $4, topped it off and havent had an issue yet. its been a few weeks. I recommend that first if you think you might have a minor leak.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
I actually got some of the cheap coolant repair liquid from amazon, like $4, topped it off and havent had an issue yet. its been a few weeks. I recommend that first if you think you might have a minor leak.
Hmmm...not a fan of stop leak products.
If there was, in fact, a leak(?) and it wasn't external, hopefully it wasn't internal.

Thanks for the follow up response.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Tags
2014 mustang