Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2013 v6 Air release noise when turned off?

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  tym_v6 
#1 · (Edited)
Thanks for checking out the post. When I finish my 35 mile commute home, I occasionally (but not always) hear this noise coming from the right rear within a minute of turning off the car. Only thing back there that I can think of that would be powered after the car is turned off is a fuel pump?

There are no modifications to the car related to the mechanical or performance aspects of the vehicle and it has 60k miles.

EDIT:

Here is a link to the recording I caught the other night (sorry for the tilted video)

https://youtu.be/GcDEypwNppA

#4 ·
sorry I laughed......under the car where the spare is located is some type of fuel evap unit? I would have a 3' length of hose to use as a stethoscope and try locating it with that. going into the trunk 1st would make it quicker than crawling under the car.

#8 ·
I'd like to know what this is as well.
I had two friends listen to that, and they had nothing.

#9 ·
This is just a guess:
Could it be pressure building up inside of the fuel tank?
Does anyone know if there is a vent on the tank that may not be working?????
I know the fuel system is a closed system but even so, They have to have some way of equalizing the pressure in the tank.
It sure is something I never heard before on any car.
Ronnie

#11 ·
Sounds like the fuel pump to me. At first, when I just read your question, before listening to your youtube post I thought it may be the sealed fuel system sucking in air. But that whirl that I heard sounds like an electric motor spinning. Just my guess.

#14 ·
I've been thinking about it and listened to your noise again. Could you have a bad fuel pump check valve. There is about 30 to 40 pounds of pressure in the fuel line that should stay there and the check valve in the pump will hold it. If your valve is letting loose the fuel could be rushing back through the pump and spinning it backwards, causing the sound you hear. You may want to put a pressure gague on your fuel rail and see if the prssure holds when you turn the car off or if it goes to 0.

#17 ·
Trunk Monkey? A dead body that's not all the way dead? Just joking :) I've never heard anything like this before. Let us know how it goes......

#18 ·
Wow, that is a weird noise. I thought I saw a drop of water from somewhere (tailpipe?) right when the noise reached its crescendo. The noise isn't coming from anywhere near the tailpipe, is it?

#20 ·
First, Please don't let it be the trunk monkey! NOT the Trunk Monkey!
Second, after watching the video a few times, I saw what looks like two drops of something falling (sideways LoL) from the car at nearly the same time as the beat sound speeds up and you hear the swoosh as though pressure is being released.
I missed the drops of fluid nearly every time I watched the video on youtube, so I saved the video to my machine, and watched with quick time, frame by frame.
My question is,
What are those drops? Water, fuel, something else?

#21 ·
Sorry for the delay in responses. I've only had it do it once since I posted the video but i wasn't thinking about it until it had already started. Stopped before I could get under the car to trace the sound.

Regarding the liquid dripping, it was raining that night and I had just pulled into the garage within a minute of the video. I've never seen dripping during that before when it hadn't been raining.

#22 ·
Spitballing here, but could there be some junk in the tailpipe that's producing a partial check valve effect?

Mice and squurrels can get anywhere...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.