insurance - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-14-2004, 01:18 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
insurance

ok, I was wondering something. I want to make my car a v-8. I'd be looking for a salvaged Mach 1 (I wish) or a GT (more likely) to basically make my car that car... but with the VIN of a v-6. Does anyone know if this is insurance fraud? Would my rates go up to the v-8's? If I don't tell them, how F*cked am I when they find out? I asked my insurance company to figure up a quote for me for a Mach 1 about 3 weeks ago, and haven't heard a word back yet.... so could someone here tell me about what my rates would do if I went from a 2001 Mustang v-6 automatic to a 1999 Mustang GT auto? thank you all so much for your help

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 01:29 AM   #2
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
When you turn 25 the rates drop by half. Ask them if they would care about an engine swap in a old junker car say for instance.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Damn, that happens when your 25?Spotless record and I never saw that one!
Some of the discount can depend on your resident state I think?Am not sure how much(if any) of a difference would be for swapping an engine.You might could play the dumb route and deny knowledge of the swap engine being a V8(only if you got caught at it later).How the hell were you supposed to know what uncle Joe-Bob was droppin under the hood when you weren't lookin?All you knew is that it was broke and when Joe-Bob got it back to ya it was fixed...and DAMN CAN IT MOVE!!It's one hell of a V-6(no,I'm serious?!)You mean that was a V-8?!!(Start crying at this part)
Catch ma drift??
Was just a thought but don't get me testifyin in here!!hehehehe
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 02:07 AM   #4
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Quote:
How the hell were you supposed to know what uncle Joe-Bob was droppin under the hood when you weren't lookin?All you knew is that it was broke and when Joe-Bob got it back to ya it was fixed...and DAMN CAN IT MOVE!!It's one hell of a V-6(no,I'm serious?!)You mean that was a V-8?!!(Start crying at this part)
Remember that when they get you for insurance fraud. The part about crying.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:16 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
yeah when you get in a little fender bender and you take it to a shop to get it fixed, then they give the agency a quote for a GT, then the agency sais thats not possible its registered as a v6, then shop says no it has 8 spark plugs and 8 cylinders, so the agency then gets you for fraud.

if you turn your 6er into a GT you have to get insurance for a GT, thats just how it goes.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
ok, I was wondering something. I want to make my car a v-8. I'd be looking for a salvaged Mach 1 (I wish) or a GT (more likely) to basically make my car that car... but with the VIN of a v-6. Does anyone know if this is insurance fraud? NO(as long as you have V-8 coverage)

Would my rates go up to the v-8's?YES

If I don't tell them, how F*cked am I when they find out?PRETTY

I asked my insurance company to figure up a quote for me for a Mach 1 about 3 weeks ago, and haven't heard a word back yet....
JIMMY....CALL EM BACK,MAN!!
so could someone here tell me about what my rates would do if I went from a 2001 Mustang v-6 automatic to a 1999 Mustang GT auto?
Depending on your age and record it could raise it into the ballpark figure of about $20-$50/mo extra.Might be more but that's just a rough estimate(unofficial of course)
thank you all so much for your help
Don't thank me too much,I was playing the dumb guy but none the less...your welcome
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Send a message via AIM to Hoover
you can make any modifications you want, but the car wil only be covered for a V6 not a V8, as long as you tell you insurance agency that you are making the change and they make a notation on the account they CANNOT get you for fraud, but they also will NOT cover any of the new modifications if you are in an accident. I work for statefarm by the way, and that is the policy here for my particular state.
Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:47 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
I heard this one guy had this V6 Fox Body mustang, he modified everything and put a 5.0 in there taking out the V6 engine. He never told the insurance people about it, so he paid the cheap rates. One day a car hits him head on and he takes it to the mechanic. The insurance company calls the mechanic to get the information and damage. They say, "I'm here to call about the 19(whatever) V6 Mustang." The mechanic says "Well, I have a 5.0 here, but no V6." They get the license plate number, talk to the driver, and because he didn't tell them about it... nothing was insured and he had to fix everything out of his own pocket. Moral of the story?

don't get in an accident :p

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've been buying insurance for years. I have never been asked what engine I have, even on my old cars that do not identify the engine in the VIN number.

My 65 Cuda, they don't know what it has under the hood and they never asked. It coulda come with a 6 or 8, it's got an 8, the original one no less.

My 87 Diplomat had a 318, it's now got a 360, which is essentially a bored and stroked 318. Never had an issue with it and yes my agent knows cause we talk cars all the time.

My Stang is pretty stock as is my Montana. So they don;t really fall into this category.

I think you ought to ask the insurance agent and not us here cause none of us really knows the particulars of this swap in your state or with your insurance company. What maybe legal here in TX may not be where you are.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:36 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
here they check VIN and the engine size, will drop you if you dont tell them,. best thing to do would tell them, and then they will keep your insurance, but not cover the motor,...
Old 11-14-2004, 11:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Most insurance places have a section to list modifications. When I signed up with geico that asked what mods I had done. That way they can cover it and adjust your rates.
elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:03 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
why the hell do I care if they cover the motor?... they won't pay me if it stops working anyway. The only way I'd get paid for my motor now is if I ran over something.. I'd literally have to run over a Geo Metro for it to smoke my engine... in which case I'm assuming my car would be totalled anyway.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 11-14-2004, 01:31 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
why the hell do I care if they cover the motor?... they won't pay me if it stops working anyway. The only way I'd get paid for my motor now is if I ran over something.. I'd literally have to run over a Geo Metro for it to smoke my engine... in which case I'm assuming my car would be totalled anyway.
no the problem is if you hit some one, they will not cover you and then if you get sued you will get really screwed. a lawyer will prolly take your house and all your stuff. a insurance company will fight it and cover you. if your alone your f*cked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yep if you lie about the vehicle coverage they have the right to deny you coverage. Or even if they don't have the right they will try and then you legal bills will probably be more then out of pocket expenses for the wreck.

Lieing to insurance companies isn't wise. Its kind of like tax fraud, you may get away with it but if you don't your butt is theirs for the taking.
elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:47 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

I know that, what I meant was why do I care if they don't cover my engine. I plan on talking to them anyway.... I will be going to a v-8. I'm hoping that the 1999 GT will have similar insurance if my 2001 won't be able to have the v-8

Old 11-14-2004, 07:37 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher
nope the insurance will be a good bit higher, but it should not be too bad, i think its about 500 a year diff in my plan. and thats with no wrecks and tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:43 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

$500 a year for me to get a 2001 GT? or for the 1999? or to swap engines? what are we talkin' about here?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar