Alright! National Sales Tax.. bye bye IRS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:00 AM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Alright! National Sales Tax.. bye bye IRS

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,140076,00.html

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2004, 01:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to 01GTType
Sweet, its about time.. They just need to get the tax bracket figured out so that way I dont pay the same taxes as a guy that just made 1 million for the year.
01GTType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 01:08 AM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
That will be an interesting debate. I like the idea of all those that claim to be "not for profit" that can evade income tax having to cough up tax when the spend their cash. But, I agree it might hurt those retiring and such. On the surface, I think it sounds great...even if it is just to see more cash in your pay check. I know you would be passing it out at the check out counters, but, it would look pretty on paper and in your account.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2004, 01:09 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GTType
Sweet, its about time.. They just need to get the tax bracket figured out so that way I dont pay the same taxes as a guy that just made 1 million for the year.
You might be paying the same rate, but he is dishing out more. You will spend it on "pidly things"....he will spend it on ferarris...porshes...extravegant items. He will end up paying out more than you, even though it is the same rate. I would be cool with that I think.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:13 AM   #5
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
You might be paying the same rate, but he is dishing out more. You will spend it on "pidly things"....he will spend it on ferarris...porshes...extravegant items. He will end up paying out more than you, even though it is the same rate. I would be cool with that I think.
:yup:

Reddit
Old 12-01-2004, 04:57 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
that's a pretty good idea. just consider, when they remove income tax from your paycheck you'll only be giving uncle sam 5-10% of your pay, as opposed to 20-25% that you pay now. the only tax you'd submit in your pay would be social security, medicare, things like that. the rest would be paid when you buy something. this would also eventually help with inflation, i believe

nice to see progress
Old 12-01-2004, 08:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
the only tax you'd submit in your pay would be social security, medicare, things like that.
Nice to see you also know that SS, Medicare, etc are taxes too. Too many people don't consider them as such.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Hm...if I wasn't paid cash at the moment I might care...lol
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

After rereading the article I see they plan to also replace the "payroll tax" with this sales taxe. Payroll tax is another term for social security. I might have to calculate how much I pay now.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:28 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

^right now i pay anywhere from 18-23% of my weekly as taxes (depending on how much overtime i get). that's anywhere from 150-300$ and i hate it lol

the only problem i see with this is that everyone will have to keep every receipt to be able to prove that they paid for something. i hate organizing receipts :p
Old 12-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

meh, i dont make enough to care at the moment(cause im still studying, and ussually get paid cash )
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:01 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
i think this is a great idea, but couldnt this hurt the economy if the tax is too high? people hate spending money out of pocket
Old 12-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
WTF? I move to NH to get away from taxes (sales & state income). Now the government wants to redo my fed taxes? Also, I don't see anything more specific than "23-cent national sales tax on all retail goods." Do they mean $0.23 per purchase, or per dollar of purchase? Further, what about overseas purchases? What about internet purchases? Are we gonna hafta crack down on little guys trading stuff on-line? What happens if Amazon or someone jumps to the Caymans? Will I have to pay an extra 0.23 for my next book?

Are there more details around?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
It wont hurt the economy and here is why

A national sales tax will not be on used stuff . You can go without paying taxes if you shopped wisely.

You would get all your money in your paycheck with almost no deduction.

Think about it no car tax, property tax, income tax,
Old 12-01-2004, 08:03 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
but I get almost all my taxes back this year... since I don't make even $10,000 this year (college student)... if they went this route, I'd lose that. I've got about $800 or so coming back to me. If I would've gotten all that, I would've already paid $800 in taxes. I don't know about this. As long as I don't end up paying this $800 I NEED for school... I'll be ok. It sounds like a good idea, I just don't want to see us that NEED every dime we can get.... get screwed. I know I spend a lot on my car, but other than my gf (hahahaha ).... what else do I have to spend it on? (the laughing, was because I mentioned my car before my gf.... and gf's aren't cheap).... but yeah, I have to pay for school, gas to get there, books... apartment next year... ***** ain't cheap.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
but I get almost all my taxes back this year... since I don't make even $10,000 this year (college student)... if they went this route, I'd lose that. I've got about $800 or so coming back to me. If I would've gotten all that, I would've already paid $800 in taxes. I don't know about this. As long as I don't end up paying this $800 I NEED for school... I'll be ok. It sounds like a good idea, I just don't want to see us that NEED every dime we can get.... get screwed. I know I spend a lot on my car, but other than my gf (hahahaha ).... what else do I have to spend it on? (the laughing, was because I mentioned my car before my gf.... and gf's aren't cheap).... but yeah, I have to pay for school, gas to get there, books... apartment next year... ***** ain't cheap.
Dude think past your immediate existance and think about your damn future and the future of your parents and grandparents who need all of their money. This type of debates are almost useless if you dont have a home or live 100% on your own without parental subsidies. Most high school and college kids live for the moment and have no clue or desire to think about future responsibilities. The current tax code is broke.

The IRS spend billions trying to collect billions. If you had national sales tax the Irs and its annual cost of running it would be saved and could go to fixing Social Security.

Now with all that I said there are a few young people that dont have there heads in the sand who understand the need to fix the tax system and a national sales tax is one of many option to look at!!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:18 PM   #17
Regular

By fixing Social Secuirty it means making it optional in my book, or even setting up private accounts like was mentioned by Bush in the debates.

Reddit
Old 12-01-2004, 08:21 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Dude think past your immediate existance and think about your damn future and the future of your parents and grandparents who need all of their money. This type of debates are almost useless if you dont have a home or live 100% on your own without parental subsidies. Most high school and college kids live for the moment and have no clue or desire to think about future responsibilities. The current tax code is broke.

The IRS spend billions trying to collect billions. If you had national sales tax the Irs and its annual cost of running it would be saved and could go to fixing Social Security.

Now with all that I said there are a few young people that dont have there heads in the sand who understand the need to fix the tax system and a national sales tax is one of many option to look at!!
excuse me Corey, maybe I didn't bring up EVERYTHING.... I should've... you ride my *** when I don't. I'll step this out one at a time. If I don't get the money back from my taxes.... my going to school becomes that much more difficult.... $800 from just my summer job would pay the rent for 2, maybe 3 months... now, if I can't afford to go to school.. I can't get an education to work, do what I want, make a decent living. This is how it becomes full circle, and this is how now affects my future... not just right now

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 12-01-2004, 08:29 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

I am not riding you it is to all of the people you are not raising a family and a home. Like you said you get back all of your money now so it does not effect you. But one day it will and hopefully it will be fixed by then

Dont take debates so personal.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:43 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

it's not so much about it being personal, but this is my life Corey. It directly affects me. I need that tax money back. I need it, it figures into what I need to make the budget for me going to school work. I know I'm not alone either.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:48 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

the thing about it jimmy, is that you'll be getting the money straight up. it will never be removed from your paycheck. thus, you'll have more cash to spend. the 23% national sales tax would only apply to brand new goods and food items. any used items would be tax free. so yes, you'd pay more when you bought something, but you'd also have more to spend becuz you're actually bringing more of your earnings home
Old 12-02-2004, 08:11 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Here is the real problem with the Tax code

1. Why do they take to much to begin with????
2. Why do they keep your money and use it for a year but dont pay interest???
3. Why is it I have to it pay while really rich people never have to????
4. Why is it there are so many loopholes in not having to pay as long as you are Rich and powerful
5. Why is it that you have to be a accountant to understand the tax code.

Today the tax code is lengthier than the Encyclopedia Britannica and consequently there are now are 115,000 IRS employees to interpret and enforce this monstrosity. (See Table.) Incredibly, the IRS now has more employees than the Environmental Protection Agency, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Drug Enforcement Agency, the Food and Drug Administration, and the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms--combined

Income Taxes Paid (Billions 1994 $)....$6.7................$683.4
Per capita income taxes (1994 $).......$69................$2,622
Individual tax filers...........................360,000..........113,829,000
Percent of population filing returns......0.5%..............45%
IRS Budget (Millions 1994 $)..............$110,000,000...$7,100,000,000
IRS Employees................................4,000..............115,000
Pages of federal tax law...................14...................9,400
Pages of IRS forms...........................4...................4,000
Top Tax Rate..................................7%................40%
Tax Rate on Median Family.................0%................28%
Old 12-02-2004, 11:03 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It wont hurt the economy and here is why

A national sales tax will not be on used stuff . You can go without paying taxes if you shopped wisely.
The thought of used food ties my head in knots.

Quote:

Think about it no car tax, property tax, income tax,
Car taxes and property taxes are NOT federal taxes, you'll still be paying that. Not to mention all those "fees" mandated by various Federal entities that have no legal right to levy a tax, so they call it a fee and it's "legal". Look at your phone bill.

The only way I could support this (I like the idea in general) is if there was a constitutional amendment BANNED any other type of charge, be it called a fee, a tax, or any other term, other than this sales tax. Otherwise you and I will end up paying both a national sales tax and an income tax.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:44 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
The thought of used food ties my head in knots.

Car taxes and property taxes are NOT federal taxes, .

The only way I could support this (I like the idea in general) is if there was a constitutional amendment BANNED any other type of charge, be it called a fee, a tax, or any other term, other than this sales tax. Otherwise you and I will end up paying both a national sales tax and an income tax.

Steve
Used food ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! YUCK YUCK !!!HAHAHHAHAHAH

Actually in my state of South Carolina they are looking at a state Sales tax instead of state income, car or property taxes. I am sorry I should have metioned it.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to chips
23 cents on the dollar?

hell no! that's absolutely rediculous. i understand that it would replace other taxes, but i sure as hell don't wanna hassle with a 23 cent tax on each dollar.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:21 PM   #26
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips
23 cents on the dollar?

hell no! that's absolutely rediculous. i understand that it would replace other taxes, but i sure as hell don't wanna hassle with a 23 cent tax on each dollar.
You would rather pay 25+% on every dollar you make instead of 23% on every dollar you spend? I pay 33% on every dollar I make. I don't spend everything I make. When you think about the whole picture, sure, it sounds like a hike in the cost of things, but, you will only be taxed on what you spend, not what you make. If you hoard money away, you don't pay tax on that. If you save money, you end up paying less tax. Plus, your check will look bigger every week. I know my bring home would go up about $400 every check (I get paid bi-monthly).
Old 12-02-2004, 01:23 PM   #27
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
You would rather pay 25+% on every dollar you make instead of 23% on every dollar you spend? I pay 33% on every dollar I make. I don't spend everything I make. When you think about the whole picture, sure, it sounds like a hike in the cost of things, but, you will only be taxed on what you spend, not what you make. If you hoard money away, you don't pay tax on that. If you save money, you end up paying less tax. Plus, your check will look bigger every week. I know my bring home would go up about $400 every check (I get paid bi-monthly).
Exactly

Reddit
Old 12-02-2004, 02:06 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Hell My check would go up $500 a week or $2000 a month. I could go get a Dodge Viper MUHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA
Old 12-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

why would you want a Viper... when you could get the Ford GT?.... , I love that car....mmmmmmmmmm... happy thoughts. Sorry, in any occassion... If the country goes to this idea, I think each state should have to go to it as well. Then we'll know if it truly works or not.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:05 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Because I could by 2 vipers and supercharge them for the price of one GT.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Because I could by 2 vipers and supercharge them for the price of one GT.
Hehe, nice quote there
Our's:
Old 12-03-2004, 01:45 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hell My check would go up $500 a week or $2000 a month. I could go get a Dodge Viper MUHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA
WOW 2000 a month in cali is not enough for a viper
Old 12-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you save up long enough it is...lol
Our's:
Old 12-03-2004, 02:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

my dad makes like 5000 a month and it is not considered alot. he could afford a viper with that. but with only 2 thousand a month we would be in the gutter lol
Old 12-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

He said he would have 2000 extra a month without income tax...
Our's:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar