Car junk.. Out with the old, in with the new.. maybe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Car junk.. Out with the old, in with the new.. maybe

Hey all I know I haven't been posting too often lately, I try to keep up with threads and goings on but I haven't posted much...

So figured I'd give everyone an update out here..

Anyway.. I've been living in Sunny SoCal for over 2 months now, loving almost every minute of it
as far as cars..

I) Current Status:
I've heard info about the 92 I sold.. the guy is keeping my exact same engine setup down to the heads.. He's still impressed with the motor, for having iron heads haha.. But.. I keep stalking him on corral, so far he's bought several new interior parts, a NOVI 2000 (!) with 72 lb injectors and numerous other go fast parts... I only wish I'd had the resources to do the same type of setup! he's going all out with the car..

So I miss it but I know the car enjoyed being driven, 3+ years after the motor install and had ZERO mechanical issues with it

As for me..

Still driving the GS, but the car is starting to have some issues. It's showing its age.. but it's still temporarily the daily driver..

Last time to the track, the car would have been 12s if Id had traction (2.2 60') trap speed was up to 107.. but that was back in jersey.. running a slight bit less timing to run 91 octane here, but the intercooler helps a ton so didn't have to pull much

However, daily driving a buick that's making near 100 ft lbs of torque more to the wheels than it was rated for at the crank.. for over 3 years (had the car 3.5 years now.. and mind you its a buick not a mustang) is starting to pose its problems.. esp now that I do a lot of stop and go and city driving..

I had initially been planning to drive the buick til I obtained a higher job title, and in turn a position in the fleet (will take a year or so) but I think that will be a bad idea with time..

II) The Solution:

SO in order to resolve the problems of having the buick as a daily driver.. I ordered a Lease car.

As I work for Toyota, they have a great lease program for associates..
1.5x of cost of the vehicle per month - all maintenance AND insurance is included - Plus there's no fee to end the lease once I get into the pool of vehicles, whether it is 10 days from now or 2 years

I submitted the order for the car, but it doesn't go to the factory until the 15th.. and I won't get it for 30-60 days beyond that

I know.. it's worse than the buick when it comes to boring (much worse.. it's not SCd) lol..

But it's a BASE model V6 SE camry.. Blue ribbon metalic... didn't select any of the upgrades (still turn-key, no leather or moonroof, standard stereo.) and will pay only about 3x what the Buick is costing me on insurance at the moment to drive a brand new car that was built specifically for me.

It was either that, or a scion tC... for about $15 less per month, I figured the bigger car and the v6 made up for the difference... and I do all city driving, so while I would still enjoy a manual.. why bother?

So that leads me to...

III) What's next:
Once I get the lease car I need to decide what to do with the buick..
At this point I'm planning to fix the ABS issues, replace the struts, all the bushings in the front end, new CV axles and a front wheel bearing..

Then fix some things with the exhaust, and see how it runs and rides after that -

If I'm not satisfied with it as a 'fun' car (since it is quick... and handles better than my 92 did haha) and I don't find any interest on the enthusiast forums, I'll demod it (take the IC off.. trade the built trans with someone local, probably) trade off the ported SC/etc sell my tuner software (after reflashing it to run properly of course) then try and sell the car... Or trade it on a 99-04 mustang, there are a lot around here for great prices..

Basically if I'm not satisfied with having the regal as a second car, I will try and unload it.. Then I WILL be getting another mustang..

I miss having a driveway with plenty of room for spare cars...

And no smog laws..

By the way, ignore any grammar or punctuation errors, I haven't proofread this post like I do most of my longer ones..

Cliff notes:
Nothing new yet, but ordered a 2010 Camry SE V6 as a daily driver
WILL eventually fix up the buick, and will someday have a mustang again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Car junk.. Out with the old, in with the new.. maybe

fun fun
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

glad to see u're doing good in cali.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

The Camry isn't as bad as you think. It will carry all your crap, it's reliable, and it will have decent power. By the way, if you want to somewhat get out of traffic; get a motorcycle. When traffic is slow on the freeway, you can ride between lanes and keep going. This is an added bonus to the fun factor of a bike.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

good to hear from you again

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

cliffs please?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

run between lanes in cali?

lol your braver than I, of coarse I did just spend two weeks in atlanta. HSV feels such a piece of cake now.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
cliffs please?
They're where they should be.. bottom of the post..

Which were put there so those who didn't want to read my post could read the cliffs and not comment that they didn't want to read the post

K, Thx.

And Scut, yeah.. lane splitting would definitely save time however I don't have the guts, I don't trust CA drivers in a CAR let alone on a bike

hottcobra -> I haven't gone anywhere, just haven't been posting as much, but if it makes you feel any better, I miss you too!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
They're where they should be.. bottom of the post..

Which were put there so those who didn't want to read my post could read the cliffs and not comment that they didn't want to read the post

K, Thx.

And Scut, yeah.. lane splitting would definitely save time however I don't have the guts, I don't trust CA drivers in a CAR let alone on a bike

hottcobra -> I haven't gone anywhere, just haven't been posting as much, but if it makes you feel any better, I miss you too!
lol, I didn't read any of it.. sorry Ill go look
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Yea, Cali drivers are crazy/really bad drivers. My roommate came out here from PA and he was freaked out by the concept too, but he said he just did it one day and the more you do it, the more comfortable you get. He even clipped his mirror on a truck because the guy didn't move over for him and that didn't scare him off. I think I'm going to keep my car and get a bike and see how long it takes me to grow a set haha.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar