rant: the "truth" anti-smoking ads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
rant: the "truth" anti-smoking ads

If you have never seen these ads on tv, its always a bunch of highschool or college aged kids standing in the street in a big city debating a building labelled "Big Tobacco"; yes, they are in fact debating the actual building. These ads blame big tobacco companies for the deaths or injuries of people who smoke cigarettes. After seeing one of these tv ads, i was afraid that a giant machine named "Big Tobacco" is going to come into my house, throw me off of the couch, pin me to the ground, stick a lit cigarette in my mouth, and then repeatedly punch me in the stomach forcing me to smoke the cigarette. It's not the tobbaco companies fault that smokers die, smoking is a choice that is made by the person sticking the lit stick of tobacco in their mouth. It even says on the side of the cigarette carton you get cigarettes from - which is produced by Big Tobacco - in big bold letters SMOKING WILL KILL YOU OR ATLEAST FVCK YOU UP PRETTY DAMN GOOD. What if a kid gets a cigarette from one of their friends you might ask? Well, that kid is going to smoke the damn cigarette because he has only been warned by the commercials on Cartoon Network to watch out for robots named "Big Tobacco", not that smoking cigarettes is deadly. I mean, am I going to run anti-Ford or anti-Budweiser ads on tv if I get smashed into by a drunk driver? NO, i am going to run anti-drinking and driving ads because that is what ultimately screwed me over, not Budweiser or Ford. So, in conclusion: Big Tobacco is not at fault if you smoke cigarettes and get lung cancer, its your fault for smoking cigarettes and "The Truth" should start running ads focused more on the fact that smoking cigarettes is bad for your health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
hahahahhaah well. http://www.thetruth.com/index.cfm?seek=truth < for all that have not seen it
Old 01-02-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Dark02Pony
you bring up a good point , i for 1 dont smoke but your right, companys sell many things that can kill you not just ciggarettes, but wether the person decides to put it in their body or not is their choice not the companys
Operation: Evolutionization.......Member #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
Ford Motor Company = FoMoCo..
what does that make Honda Motor Company????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole
Mineral Gray is such a hott color. Much better then orange
Dark02Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark02Pony
you bring up a good point , i for 1 dont smoke but your right, companys sell many things that can kill you not just ciggarettes, but wether the person decides to put it in their body or not is their choice not the companys
But for a long time, people thought Smoking was not bad for you, but the companys new that it was, but didnt tell anyone. Indiana has the hardest laws on Cig smoking, I dont smoke, and i would love to go all day with out the smell of it.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
the question ive always wondered is...why smoke? theres seems to be 0 logical reasons but o well, its peoples lives, they can live em how they choose
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers Stang
But for a long time, people thought Smoking was not bad for you, but the companys new that it was, but didnt tell anyone. Indiana has the hardest laws on Cig smoking, I dont smoke, and i would love to go all day with out the smell of it.
Yeah good point, didnt look at it that way..some people still think its not bad for you
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
I find those ads to be kinda stupid.

The Tabacco company sells the cigarettes, they aren't forcing it down anyone's throats. If someone's dad dies because of cigarettes it's the dad's fault for buying them. It's like.. if a hair treatment place sells hair spray to everyone and this kid inhails it and dies because he's a snorter, is it then the hair treatment's fault for selling it or the person's fault for buying it? Come on..

btw I don't smoke, I find it very unhealthy so nobody come at me like I'm pro tabacco

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

hell, i wont even let somebody smoke in my car, ill pull to the side of the road tell em to get out do their thing then get back in
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark02Pony
hell, i wont even let somebody smoke in my car, ill pull to the side of the road tell em to get out do their thing then get back in
no one smokes NEAR my car!
Old 01-02-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

btw, i dont smoke - never have, never will
Old 01-02-2005, 08:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

haha 1 my friends tried to smoke in my car few days ago ...thru his pack out the window on the highway
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
Anybody who ever thought smoking wasn't bad for you is stupid and I don't feel bad for them getting sick. People make their own choices in life and there are consequences for those choices.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

exactly,, everything we really does has an outcome or a consequence,, this 1 just happens to be fatal
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64
no one smokes NEAR my car!
werd that man

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
It's like.. if a hair treatment place sells hair spray to everyone and this kid inhails it and dies because he's a snorter, is it then the hair treatment's fault for selling it or the person's fault for buying it? Come on..
That's not really relevant because it's a misuse of the product. People can kill themselves with anything. Hair spray... Golf balls... Spandex...

But cigarettes are one of the only products that are designed and known to kill you through PROPER use.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:36 AM   #16
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser02
That's not really relevant because it's a misuse of the product. People can kill themselves with anything. Hair spray... Golf balls... Spandex...

But cigarettes are one of the only products that are designed and known to kill you through PROPER use.
So true.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:01 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
i dont see how you could think that smoking couldnt have any badd side effects. youre inhaling smoke from burning materials. if theres a fire in a building do you see everyone jump up and take a big puff?

my parents smoke, since their teens. i thought i would have the smoking gene and follow, but guess what, i have a anti smoking gene. no matter what, i didnt get addicted. when of my freinds(and me) tried cigs they got addicted, not me. and i had more than those 2 puff chumps. smoking cigs did 0 things positive for me. though i have no problem smoking other things that actually do something(ie get you stoned or higher than a kite), cigs are in my opinion pointless.

so now all of a sudden people started dying from cancers, that "could" be caused by smoking. guess what, smoking wasnt what caused them. its not like the cigarette magically jumped in your mouth and lit itself up and forced you to inhale. sure you could say "cigarettes are a cause of lung cancer", but hello, any smoke you inhale can cause cancer if you do it enough.

dont try to put the blame on someone else(i.e. the "big tobacco") cause you were too stupid to make better decisions.

on a further note, i would like to do some "anit-truth" ads, that show how stupid these people who are in these commercials are, and how blantantly inaccurate their claims are. and id like to see "big tobacco" sue them for something really good, so we could have more commercials with sweet car ads in them, instead of listening to some stupid ***** complain on how her husband died cause he made a bad choice.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
dont try to put the blame on someone else(i.e. the "big tobacco") cause you were too stupid to make better decisions.
But you see... Cigarettes are designed to kill you and those around you with properly directed use. Of COURSE it's the smoke that causes cancer... But the tobacco companies lace that nasty cancer-causing smoke with additives that make you want to do it more. How many people do you see smoking nicotine-free cigarettes? None. The tobacco companies know that nobody would use their products if they didn't get everybody uncontrollably hooked on them. These things shouldn't even be allowed on the market. How many other products do you know of that kill hundreds of thousands of people per year intentionally that are still marketable? Fen phen killed a little over ONE HUNDRED people and they pulled it off the market. Why? Because an otherwise good drug had the "side-effect" of killing some sickeningly obesely fat people who didn't take care of their heart. And yet cigarettes are still here?

If I were the director of the truth campaign I'd try to get big tobacco hooked on a Dr. Kevorkian-esque assisted suicide charge... It would at least make for a good media stunt. And then I'd hook up with all the hot campaign girls with great breath.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:24 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

i dont see why everyone goes after "big tobacco". they just mass produced something that was until their time made in backyards and garages.

if youre stupid enough to use it, youre dumb enough to die from it. darwanism at its best.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:00 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser02

Point is though it's the buyer who is at fault, that's what I was trying to come across as my point

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:02 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
Quote:
if youre stupid enough to use it, youre dumb enough to die from it. darwanism at its best.
^word
Old 01-03-2005, 02:43 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
i think smoking should be outlawed if it would stop it... but it wouldnt.... its a persons choice to start.... but without the correct information that desicion is not alwasy easy to see the clear answer to.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:55 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
i dont see how you could think that smoking couldnt have any badd side effects. youre inhaling smoke from burning materials. if theres a fire in a building do you see everyone jump up and take a big puff?
maybe.... hints the use of a SCBA (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus)
I dont really like the ads they run, only the one where the have the mom inthe van, and she straps her kid inthe car seat, rolls up all the windows and lockes the doors and lights up a cig,.. if you want to smoke then grand, but dont it around me.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
First and foremost i dont smoke cigs never jumped the band-wagon on smoking the cancer sticks and wont.

Secondly are you guys this passionate against alcohol? Its only fair that if your wanting to outlaw one bad thing then you gotta outlaw the next thing that can kill you which is the alch. Its just the same as cigs. and in times alot worse then the actual cigs.

My opinion is those truth commercials have some point to them. When you are growing up dont you ever notice that all those bad things are the first that attract you, they are always around you and will always be till your that age to finally buy. Its like an unconscience thing.

Thats just me now.

They need to make everything legal whos the government to tell you whats bad or not, its your body and no-one elses
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
First and foremost i dont smoke cigs never jumped the band-wagon on smoking the cancer sticks and wont.

Secondly are you guys this passionate against alcohol? Its only fair that if your wanting to outlaw one bad thing then you gotta outlaw the next thing that can kill you which is the alch. Its just the same as cigs. and in times alot worse then the actual cigs.

My opinion is those truth commercials have some point to them. When you are growing up dont you ever notice that all those bad things are the first that attract you, they are always around you and will always be till your that age to finally buy. Its like an unconscience thing.

Thats just me now.

They need to make everything legal whos the government to tell you whats bad or not, its your body and no-one elses
yes.... but also here in indiana we have this > http://whitelies.tv/
"Nicotine is addicitive. we are then, in the business of selling nicotine, an addictive drug."
B&W Internal memo, 1963

"I do not believe that nicotine is addicitive."
Chairman of B&W, 1994
Old 01-03-2005, 06:05 PM   #26
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
I smoke cuz I'm that cool.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #27
Regular

Alchol isnt nearly has bad as smoking

There have been studies whee a glass of wine every once in a while is good for your heart

Now you abuse it and drink 2-3 beers a day your gonnhave liver problems eventaully

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
i think they should try to keep young people from smoking until they are old enough to make an educated desicion, which will be not to do it cuz its a horrid habbit. they get em young and they get addicted and they are lifers.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

no they would still do it cause people are dumb, stupid and ignorant. some people will do things just cause theyre there.

just like drugs. years of D.A.R.E made me think "if its really so bad, then how come so many people do it?" which of course made me want to see what the big deal is. i sometimes ponder if we were never told what drugs were if we would even know they existed(being a whiteboy living in middle america). it wasnt until HS that i was confronted with actual pariphernalia, i didnt inhale the first time, but as soon as everyone started laughing and having a good time, i jumped in. wasnt peer pressure(i was smarter than that, thus no inhale) it was internal curiousity.

the fact is people will make their own decisions wether or not they know the outcome or not. even if it was in writing on the side of the box "IF YOU SMOKE THIS YOU WILL DIE!!!!!!" it wouldnt change a thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar