Confederate Flag - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Confederate Flag

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Page...erate-flag.jpg

What do you guys think? As in, what is your opinion on the flag and why?

I encourage you guys to do some actual research on the flag before your comments...


I'll give you my opinion:
The Confederate Battle Flag should not be looked upon as a sign of hate. The Confederate Batte Flag is a symbol of the men, both white AND black, who fought and died. Anyone who thinks that the flag is a sign of racism should know that inbetween 60,000 to 93,000 black free men fought under that flag. The Confederate Flag is a showing of heritage, a reminder of the true history of the civil war. History is tought by the people that won the wars, therefore the American society has been tought to hate everything to do with the Confederacy. I do not agree with hate groups waving the Confederate Flag, that is wrong. I wave the flag for the simple fact that I am extremely proud of it and will never take it down. The flag is a symbol of the true history and a way of life that is gone forever. It has to do with the fact that my ancestors fought and died for something they believed in and I will not hide from my families past, I am not ashamed nor will I ever be. The flag's design is based off the British flag and the American flag; for that purpose it took the shape of and X with the American stars. Red, White, and Blue. No one ever complained about the rebel flag until the NAACP started saying it was racist *but if you haven't noticed every thing is racist to them. Also the flag was designed before the Civil War.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Registered User
Regular
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 11,873
Re: Confederate Flag

I was born and raised in the South and I could give a rats *** about the Confederate flag. I also hate dumb rednecks, so that might have some kind of effect on my feelings of it as well.

They usually go together.
__________________

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Confederate Flag

To me, the flag represents the rights of the states. Most importantly, their right to secede from the union if they should see fit. After all, that's what the Confederacy was really all about. Slavery was just one small part of the equation.

For that reason, I am very proud of the flag.
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Confederate Flag

to me, the confederate flag is a significant piece of history. but with that said, i have no idea why people hold it as some sort of lifestyle icon that they plaster around everywhere.

im a pretty patriotic, politically involved individual and i wouldnt be caught dead with ANY flag on my car, on my shirt, on a magnet on my fridge, etc. not even the current american flag (unless of course its some work shirt with a small flag with some wording or something).

so when i see a confederate flag, i dont think omg slavery lovers, but rather, why did that guy put a flag on his truck. kinda like if i saw a honda with the japanese flag on it.
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: Confederate Flag

^^^ i kinda agreewith that i don't really have a problem with the flag i'd just rather people put up the american flag to support the people we have fighing for our country now
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
GtrTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
To me, the flag represents the rights of the states. Most importantly, their right to secede from the union if they should see fit. After all, that's what the Confederacy was really all about. Slavery was just one small part of the equation.

For that reason, I am very proud of the flag.
+1
__________________
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
Ted Nugent
GtrTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otlaw80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 504
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Page...erate-flag.jpg

What do you guys think? As in, what is your opinion on the flag and why?

I encourage you guys to do some actual research on the flag before your comments...


I'll give you my opinion:
The Confederate Battle Flag should not be looked upon as a sign of hate. The Confederate Batte Flag is a symbol of the men, both white AND black, who fought and died. Anyone who thinks that the flag is a sign of racism should know that inbetween 60,000 to 93,000 black free men fought under that flag. The Confederate Flag is a showing of heritage, a reminder of the true history of the civil war. History is tought by the people that won the wars, therefore the American society has been tought to hate everything to do with the Confederacy. I do not agree with hate groups waving the Confederate Flag, that is wrong. I wave the flag for the simple fact that I am extremely proud of it and will never take it down. The flag is a symbol of the true history and a way of life that is gone forever. It has to do with the fact that my ancestors fought and died for something they believed in and I will not hide from my families past, I am not ashamed nor will I ever be. The flag's design is based off the British flag and the American flag; for that purpose it took the shape of and X with the American stars. Red, White, and Blue. No one ever complained about the rebel flag until the NAACP started saying it was racist *but if you haven't noticed every thing is racist to them. Also the flag was designed before the Civil War.
This I have caught flack for having a tattoo of a skull with a rebel flag bandana on it. I have never once seen someone with almost the exact same feelings about this subject. Though i'm not from the south I respect that the confederate states believed in something so much and stood up for their beliefs. I'm a very strong opinion'd person and feel everyone has the right to their own beliefs. To many people believe the flag (and civil war) was all about slavery. I don't believe slavery is/was right, but i'll be damned if someone is gonna change my way of living without a fight just because they don't like it.
__________________
1986 GT T-Top. Driving Project
Otlaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Registered User
Regular
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 11,873
Re: Confederate Flag

Ok my problem with the flag is what it has become today. It might have stood for good things at one point but today the only argument you hear is race. That's my problem.
__________________

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Region: Alabama
Posts: 201
Re: Confederate Flag

I'd rather see a confederate flag on some rednecks's truck with "I hate ******s" in bold print under it than one more fake *** soccer mom with a three foot US flag on the back window of her monster SUV and Support our troops! plastered on it because it the "in" thing to do. At least you know the redneck isn't doing it to fit in at little league practice.



This isn't supposed to be racist, I just respect a person more for saying what they believe instead of what they think people want to hear, even if I don't agree with what they are saying. This is also the reason I hate politics.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cobra GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 201
Re: Confederate Flag

My problem with The Flag is it is not flown enough. I was born, live and will die in the South and am proud of it. It is too bad that the NAALCP (national association American liberal colored people) are ramming there minority agenda down the majority’s throat. South Carolina and Georgia were victims of there racism and Mississippi is next. It is a shame that if some one has a Rebel Flag on there vehicle some people stereotype them as a racist or a Redneck. Fly on Freebird.
__________________
1996 GT (sold)
1997 Cobra
1993 Ranger GT (not broke)
Want an 03/04 Cobra

Born:5/23/97, Build # 5722 of 6961 Builds
Cobra GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #11
Registered User
Regular
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 11,873
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWill View Post
I'd rather see a confederate flag on some rednecks's truck with "I hate ******s" in bold print under it than one more fake *** soccer mom with a three foot US flag on the back window of her monster SUV and Support our troops! plastered on it because it the "in" thing to do. At least you know the redneck isn't doing it to fit in at little league practice.



This isn't supposed to be racist, I just respect a person more for saying what they believe instead of what they think people want to hear, even if I don't agree with what they are saying. This is also the reason I hate politics.
Me and you are on the same page there. I'd rather someone believe in something and me feel they are a dumbass than some person just going with the flow putting their dumbass stupid support the troops ribbon on their gas guzzlin middle eastern oil supportin SUV who has never had a child go overseas and give their life in the name of freedom.

That's basically how I feel about America right there.

I was just commenting on the Confederate flag though and how all it's about now is race.
__________________

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 AM   #12
Registered User
Regular
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 11,873
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra GT View Post
My problem with The Flag is it is not flown enough. I was born, live and will die in the South and am proud of it. It is too bad that the NAALCP (national association American liberal colored people) are ramming there minority agenda down the majority’s throat. South Carolina and Georgia were victims of there racism and Mississippi is next. It is a shame that if some one has a Rebel Flag on there vehicle some people stereotype them as a racist or a Redneck. Fly on Freebird.
Blacks are the most ****ed people in America. The Indians got reservations and casinos, the Japanese Americans got retribution and blacks get comments like this.

White people right now are like 'OMG don't take my rebel flag' but in 1980 were you supporting the black community when Clarence Brandley was put on death row for being black?

Too many white people love to act like racism ended after the civil war and then love to blame the black community for all their problems today.
__________________

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra GT View Post
My problem with The Flag is it is not flown enough. I was born, live and will die in the South and am proud of it. It is too bad that the NAALCP (national association American liberal colored people) are ramming there minority agenda down the majority’s throat. South Carolina and Georgia were victims of there racism and Mississippi is next. It is a shame that if some one has a Rebel Flag on there vehicle some people stereotype them as a racist or a Redneck. Fly on Freebird.
so wait, you say the flag should be flown more, make a racist comment and then say its a shame that the rebel flag stereotypes a person as a racist?

i personally dont think the flag equates racism, but this is a pretty classic example of why a lot do.
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Region: Alabama
Posts: 201
Re: Confederate Flag

It's unfortunate that the flag has evolved into a symbol of racism, but that's just how it goes sometimes. Look at what happened to the swastika.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Herbstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,932
Re: Confederate Flag

The flag represents Southern history The original version of the Confederate national flag, called the Stars and Bars, included seven stars representing the first seven states to secede from the Union: South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas. In its final form, the flag contained thirteen stars (adding the seceding states of Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee, as well as two states that attempted, but failed, to secede: Kentucky and Missouri). The flag's first official use was at the inauguration of Jefferson Davis on March 4, 1861. It was also used in combat, but its similarity to the Stars and Stripes caused confusion on the battlefield.

Name:   conflag1.gif
Views: 361
Size:  2.1 KB


The best-known of all Confederate flags—the battle flag—is often erroneously confused with the national flag of the Confederacy. The battle flag features the cross of St. Andrew (the apostle was martyred by being crucified on an X-shaped cross), and is commonly called the "Southern Cross." A large degree of the Southern population was of Scottish and Scotch-Irish ancestry, and thus familiar with St. Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland. The stars represented the eleven states actually in the Confederacy, plus Kentucky and Missouri.


Name:   conflag4.gif
Views: 520
Size:  3.7 KB

The final version of the Confederate flag was adopted just a month before the end of the Civil War. A wide band of red was added to the right side of the Stainless Banner design


Name:   conflag3.gif
Views: 294
Size:  2.9 KB
__________________

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: Confederate Flag

Haven't we learned quite a lot today? This is going exactly where I wanted it to go.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Herbstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,932
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Haven't we learned quite a lot today? This is going exactly where I wanted it to go.
Damn !!
__________________

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Confederate Flag

Its a flag, I hate stupid rednecks that get that crap tattooed all over them or they fly it out the back of their stupid redneck truck WTF it just looks stupid.

fyi racism is far worse up north than it is in the south...
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: Confederate Flag

^^^Yah that is true, there are plenty of racist people up here ~ towards the mexicans and hmongs especially.

Texas likes to make its mentally handicapped patients brawl for amusement, and Alabama almost kicked Jeremy Clarkson's ***...which I'm perfectly fine with
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
CrzyBeautiful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: California
Posts: 55
Send a message via AIM to CrzyBeautiful Send a message via Yahoo to CrzyBeautiful
Re: Confederate Flag

Hello - New here - If I haven't met you yet I am sure we will meet soon! But I just wanted to jump in real quick... from a minority perspective.

I was born in Cleveland and moved to North Carolina when I was six. I was raised there, went to high school & college there, have friends there... my life was North Carolina. For a long time the Confederate Flag bothered me because my first encounters of racism were with those who bore those flags in their homes or on their license plates, etc. But after sitting down and talking with a few friends I realized - as with most things - its user error and you can't group EVERYONE into the same category just because they have a confederate flag. For many, even tho it bears negativity right now, it represents where they came from and their history and I can respect that.

HOWEVER.... Brent brought up a good point. Too many people think that racism is over. Its not and it never will be. It is still alive and well for many minorities. (Don't even get me started on the racism I rcvd from my own race because I am mixed - thats a whole 'nother forum!) Do I think that people should tip toe around each others feelings? - no - but we should ALL take a moment to understand each other's point & perspectives. You see the flag as a sign a pride - but somone else may see that flag and have a flashback from when they saw it in their front yard with a burning cross as they were beaten and their home burnt down to the ground. Think about that pain. Feel that pain. Now understand that this is the pain that someone feels everytime they see you wave your flag around at a parade. How would you like if someone's symbol of pride was your symbol of pain? Even though you may not agree, you may learn something. Its easier & takes alot less energy to be open minded than to hate.
__________________
"No Day But Today"



CrzyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
Registered User
Regular
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 11,873
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyBeautiful View Post
Hello - New here - If I haven't met you yet I am sure we will meet soon! But I just wanted to jump in real quick... from a minority perspective.

I was born in Cleveland and moved to North Carolina when I was six. I was raised there, went to high school & college there, have friends there... my life was North Carolina. For a long time the Confederate Flag bothered me because my first encounters of racism were with those who bore those flags in their homes or on their license plates, etc. But after sitting down and talking with a few friends I realized - as with most things - its user error and you can't group EVERYONE into the same category just because they have a confederate flag. For many, even tho it bears negativity right now, it represents where they came from and their history and I can respect that.

HOWEVER.... Brent brought up a good point. Too many people think that racism is over. Its not and it never will be. It is still alive and well for many minorities. (Don't even get me started on the racism I rcvd from my own race because I am mixed - thats a whole 'nother forum!) Do I think that people should tip toe around each others feelings? - no - but we should ALL take a moment to understand each other's point & perspectives. You see the flag as a sign a pride - but somone else may see that flag and have a flashback from when they saw it in their front yard with a burning cross as they were beaten and their home burnt down to the ground. Think about that pain. Feel that pain. Now understand that this is the pain that someone feels everytime they see you wave your flag around at a parade. How would you like if someone's symbol of pride was your symbol of pain? Even though you may not agree, you may learn something. Its easier & takes alot less energy to be open minded than to hate.
That is all I really ask for. Is a bit of thinking before you speak.

I didn't vote for Obama. I respect him more than Bush though. He gave an EXCELLENT speech at Notre Dame today. Whether you agree with his policies or not I think his message should resonate to everyone. I think there is common ground that all of us can meet at.

Watch the speech and make your own opinion. I thought it was a great speech. Again, I wish it was a conservative making his speech but it isn't. The biggest voice conservatives have right now is Rush Limbaugh. If you made me choose between Limbaugh and Obama I'd choose Obama without even thinking twice about it.

Rush Limbaugh is a cancer to Republicans.
__________________

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
hottcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,638
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Rush Limbaugh is a cancer to Republicans.
know ****.
__________________

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
CrzyBeautiful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: California
Posts: 55
Send a message via AIM to CrzyBeautiful Send a message via Yahoo to CrzyBeautiful
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
That is all I really ask for. Is a bit of thinking before you speak.

I didn't vote for Obama. I respect him more than Bush though. He gave an EXCELLENT speech at Notre Dame today. Whether you agree with his policies or not I think his message should resonate to everyone. I think there is common ground that all of us can meet at.
I have a great example since you mentioned the Notre Dame speech....

I really hadn't been paying attention to the news, so when I saw that some people at Notre Dame were upset and against him speaking at the commencement ceremonies I said to myself "Why are they so upset?" - but when I read that Notre Dame is a Roman Catholic school and they were upset because of Obama's stance on Stem-Cell Research & Abortion - it made perfect sense to me why they were upset! It was nothing against the man himself. And what really caught my eye and what I applaud is that they did their protest peacefully and they prayed for President Obama & prayed that he would change his opinions on those issues. They didn't riot - they didn't attempt to slander his name. I truly wish more & more Americans, people in general, thought on this scale. These individuals realized that there was a difference of beliefs, voiced their opinion in a respectful manner and kept it moving.
__________________
"No Day But Today"



CrzyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
fast64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,263
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Re: Confederate Flag

Getting in late in the game here, but....

Racism definitely is not dead. Most people seem to ignore the fact that it goes both ways though (I am not saying its OK for whites to be racist if blacks are racist too, because its not). Living in a city that is a large majority black - I mostly see "reverse racism". The Autozone by my house (that I visit once a week or more) has 0 white employees. I can walk in and stand in line in front of 2 or 3 black people that walked in after me and they are typically helped before me - even if its very clear that I was there first. I was helping clean up and repair a struggling after school program building in a "black neighborhood" one day a few years ago that some friends worked at. While we were there, 3 or 4 different cars drove by and screamed at us telling us to leave their neighborhood, they don't need crackers helping them, etc. It was ridiculous.

Another time, I was inquiring about a summer engineering internship that I had heard about and was well qualified for. The manager of the department (a black woman) told me that the budget was tight and they couldn't hire an intern that summer. Two weeks later, she hired a black girl that didn't meet any of the qualifications of the position.

It might just be that my city is the cesspool of the south (it very well may be), but it seems that the black community here is far more concerned with getting back at the white man than just living their lives. The black-on-black crime here is through the roof (over 100 shootings in the city last year, less than 10 non-blacks were involved) and the black "leaders" in town just like to stir up trouble. For instance, the black city council members recently led a protest against racism in town because the rest of city council voted down a measure to make Obama an honorary member of the council. A black judge in town held a black man, with a record, on $150 bail for armed robbery and the next week held a white man, with no record, on $5,000 bail for growing pot in his house. That could just be the "war on drugs", but that's another rant.
__________________
-Jimmy I drive a station wagon.
GO BRAVES
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Confederate Flag

reverse racism is a result of distrust - probably from racist experiences in their past.

seriously, think about it - if you were minority that occasionally experienced racism by the majority, you would probably end up not being so fond of the majority. i know i would.

racism will always exist. its perpetual. the only end to racism is that it slowly fades away as the differences fades and there are other different people to discriminate upon.

i predict in the next few decades, you will see less racism towards blacks as things improve for them, and shift towards hispanics. just my 2 cents.
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
fast64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,263
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
reverse racism is a result of distrust - probably from racist experiences in their past.
There is still no excuse for it, from either side.

Being racist because someone was racist towards you sounds like ignorance to me. I'm sure your dad gave you the "be the bigger man" speech like mine did to me when I was little.

Would it be ok for me to murder puppies if I was bitten by a dog in the past?
__________________
-Jimmy I drive a station wagon.
GO BRAVES
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
fast64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,263
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Re: Confederate Flag

The truth is, we can all come together in one place though....

__________________
-Jimmy I drive a station wagon.
GO BRAVES
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
There is still no excuse for it, from either side.

Being racist because someone was racist towards you sounds like ignorance to me. I'm sure your dad gave you the "be the bigger man" speech like mine did to me when I was little.

Would it be ok for me to murder puppies if I was bitten by a dog in the past?
racism isnt a decision/choice, it is an embedded belief based on societal factors. you cannot address racism by being a bigger man until you address the underlying fundamental issues.

also, murdering puppies is not the equivalent of racism. a better analogy would be that if you were bitten by a dog in the past, to distrust and negatively view dogs in the future.
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
fast64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,263
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Re: Confederate Flag

I don't think one is born racist, you choose to hate a certain sect of people. You can arrive at that hate based on social interactions, yes, but you still decide if its one person being an idiot or if the whole race is idiots. Your parents beliefs can influence you, yes, but you still decide if their belief are right or wrong.

My poor analogy aside, you are still kind of proving my point. You, like much of society defend reverse racism or just let it slide because blacks were/are persecuted against. By doing that, you are keeping racism alive and perpetuating negative stereotypes just as much as the klan member or the guy down the street from me that hands out pamphlets on the corner about how evil the white man is.
__________________
-Jimmy I drive a station wagon.
GO BRAVES
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Confederate Flag

exactly. thats what i meant when i said "racism will always exist. its perpetual."

don't get me wrong, i'm not defending racism and reverse racism - im just saying why it exists and why its perpetual.
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
CrzyBeautiful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: California
Posts: 55
Send a message via AIM to CrzyBeautiful Send a message via Yahoo to CrzyBeautiful
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
The truth is, we can all come together in one place though....

LMAO - that's hilarious and it is even more funny because it is in High Point NC which is supposed to be the furniture capital! I am so going to send this to friends back home to see if they have seen this as an actual commerical on TV!

Comedy does bring people together! Good Call!
__________________
"No Day But Today"



CrzyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
fast64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,263
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Re: Confederate Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyBeautiful View Post
LMAO - that's hilarious and it is even more funny because it is in High Point NC which is supposed to be the furniture capital! I am so going to send this to friends back home to see if they have seen this as an actual commerical on TV!

Comedy does bring people together! Good Call!
That commercial cracks me up. Its just so awkward and strange; I wish I could see it on TV.
__________________
-Jimmy I drive a station wagon.
GO BRAVES
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #33
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Confederate Flag

I think I would be covered head to toe in a confederate flag if I went to this nascar race...just out of spite.

NAACP Branch Readies for Confederate Flag Fight - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Herbstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,932
Re: Confederate Flag

Am I a racist !! Hell Ya !!!! But I'm a Equal opportunity racist .I found over the years there are enough idiots in every race to dislike So why specialize
__________________

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #35
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 841
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta
Re: Confederate Flag

I'm not racist, I hate EVERYBODY. Besides, it's heritage, not hate.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUSTANG flag paulmuller Mustangs for Sale and Wanted 0 02-04-2008 11:14 AM
Should it be illegal to burn the American flag? Brent The Bar 14 04-16-2006 08:11 PM
Flag taken Hostage Brent The Bar 5 09-06-2004 11:28 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:11 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.