drove a jetta today.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
drove a jetta today..

big whoop right?

Just sharing anyway
2004 2.8 V6, 20 some k miles, 5 speed.. after driving the thing.. I honestly do not understand why people rave about how peppy a 2.8 VR6 is.. it moved okay but it didn't feel like it was pulling at any point.. and at 75 MPH it was running almost 3k RPMs.. reminded me of my old monte LS - I was not impressed at all.. our 1.8t passat automatic at least feels like it has more pull, even though I know its slower

Bah, silly Germans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Shoulda test drove the GLi now thats a jetta to be proud of in all honesty. Only VW Id drive (maybe that R32 too)
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
Shoulda test drove the GLi now thats a jetta to be proud of in all honesty. Only VW Id drive (maybe that R32 too)
it was a GL something.. may have been an '03

.. ... the vr6 has the same HP in the GLI as it does in the other editions.. what makes the GLI better? the vr6 felt like a dog.. I'd bet the 1.8t moves though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

They should put another gerbil on that wheel under the hood. That will improve the torque big time.
I have an 01GT w/ frpp 3:73's, sportline springs, wms cold-air w/95mm mass-air, (ceramic) BBK equal length headers (ceramic) mac 70mm t. body, trickflow intake plenium, mac pro-chamber, flowmaster catback, Nitto drags, NX N20 150hp jets, & some good predator tuning! Best E.T. 11.79 @ 118.4mph :drive:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\jon.straszewski\Desktop\TOP ****y to bar 020.JPG[/IMG]
Js281GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
it was a GL something.. may have been an '03

.. ... the vr6 has the same HP in the GLI as it does in the other editions.. what makes the GLI better? the vr6 felt like a dog.. I'd bet the 1.8t moves though
If I remember correctly gearing is differ, suspension is better. I know theres a few tweeks. a buddy of mine she just got one like last week. Its dope red wit black interior wit the bodykit and 18 in wheels.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
proud of a jetta??? i dont care if it had a 1000 hp v-12 in it - its still a girls car.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64
proud of a jetta??? i dont care if it had a 1000 hp v-12 in it - its still a girls car.
werd
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher
my friend 1.8t 5 spd is a nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No but the Gli is a really nice decent car for its price. It looks good, rides great, and high grade interior.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to red herring
It probably didn't seem right/fast because you're used to driving a completely different car, the Mustang. Anyone who drives a Mustang will tell you that their car feels faster than mine, but knows that my car is faster than theirs (not faster than every Mustang obviously). Torque makes a big difference in how fast a car feels. My dads car feels like it is pulling hard all the time and my car feels like it's just cruising along, but no one can argue that mine is faster, at least it was last time we raced. Since then there have been more mods done to both but even Kris will probably say his car feels faster than mine. When cars have all their power at high rpm instead of low end torque everything feels different and more smooth. There isn't a big kick in power, it just feels linear.

And with the stock differential my car revved at 3k rpm at low speeds too, but 5th must be a big gear cause hitting 140 was no sweat. You can rev higher in that VW (I assume) than in your mustangs, especially the v6's. Your guys's redline is at like 5500 isn't it? No way you guys would drive around a 5k rpm, but I drove at 5k rpm for over an hour on a recent road trip. VW is coming out with some pretty decent cars especially for the price. And for those of you who say it's a girls car, if you got beat by one how would you feel? Would you say "at least I drove home in a Mustang" or would you think "I just got beat by a girls car"
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:22 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring
And with the stock differential my car revved at 3k rpm at low speeds too, but 5th must be a big gear cause hitting 140 was no sweat. You can rev higher in that VW (I assume) than in your mustangs, especially the v6's. Your guys's redline is at like 5500 isn't it? No way you guys would drive around a 5k rpm, but I drove at 5k rpm for over an hour on a recent road trip. VW is coming out with some pretty decent cars especially for the price. And for those of you who say it's a girls car, if you got beat by one how would you feel? Would you say "at least I drove home in a Mustang" or would you think "I just got beat by a girls car"
well, with only 200 hp in the gli, i guess i would say "at least i drove home in a mustang" because the other one doesnt apply....
Old 02-02-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher
there is a GLI for 17k at my bank, i think its a 6 spd and it only has like 2k miles on it. is that a good deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

thats about how much my friend paid on her GLi. Telling ya its a pretty sweet car esp wit the 6 spd
Old 02-02-2005, 07:11 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring
It probably didn't seem right/fast because you're used to driving a completely different car, the Mustang. Anyone who drives a Mustang will tell you that their car feels faster than mine, but knows that my car is faster than theirs (not faster than every Mustang obviously). Torque makes a big difference in how fast a car feels. My dads car feels like it is pulling hard all the time and my car feels like it's just cruising along, but no one can argue that mine is faster, at least it was last time we raced. Since then there have been more mods done to both but even Kris will probably say his car feels faster than mine. When cars have all their power at high rpm instead of low end torque everything feels different and more smooth. There isn't a big kick in power, it just feels linear.

I know all about power bands... I've driven some wicked cars.. and plenty of slow cars... don't get to drive too many imports, and we have a passat so this one made me curious - its just not what I expected at all, I know the passat is slower but it feels like its' got more pull.. and its the 1.8t, with 170 HP - the vr6 has 200... I just don't get it haha.. I think I like engines that let you know they're pulling better than those that don't
Old 02-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to red herring
Quote:
well, with only 200 hp in the gli, i guess i would say "at least i drove home in a mustang" because the other one doesnt apply....
When my car was stock it had less than 200 hp and I bet it would still beat a 2004 v6 mustang, 11 years old and all. Horsepower doesn't mean too much here. I don't imagine your car with a supercharger will have anything to worry about when it comes to 200hp cars, I'm just saying that the vr6 with 200hp will hold it's own against cars in it's category.
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:14 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
ive got to have down low tq... i cant stand a car that dont peak tq till WAY up in the power band and you have to rev the piss out of to get it to move....
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar