Computer problem....for all you computer gurus.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Unhappy Computer problem....for all you computer gurus..

OK, I have an XP 3000 with 400 mhz fsb, on an A7V600-X mainboard by ASUS. The memory is 1024 meg or a gigabyte of SAmsung and Corsair Value select DDR 3200 or 400 mhz memory. The ATI video card is a 9200 with 128 meg of ddr memory, there is also an ATI wonder TV card separate from the video card. It has been doing great, then the other day I left for a little while and left it on, when I got back the screen had gone blank, I hit the space bar a few times and it came up in the bios, I started to go to the exit bios, and it shut down on me completely, since then all I can get is beeps with about a one second spacing, no video signal or anything. Any clues? What is wrong with this thing. I took the memory out and all the cards and reseated them, and checked the cables, nothing, oh, the hard drive is a 120 GB Seagate. Any help would be appreciated, Corey??? anyone, Brent??? Help, lol.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
hmm.. hard drive failure maybe?

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well, I really don't know, that would be my last guess, if it were that i think it would try to boot, its not even trying to boot...
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

I am really afraid it might be my processor, but I hope not. Kept hoping I would just find a bad connection somewhere and it would be fine, but I have not found any.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Try resetting the CMOS. Don't know if that'll fix it, but it's worth a shot.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Thanks man, I thought so too, tried it the other day, still doing the same thing, I would say a good guess, my brother thought it was a good one when I asked him about it, he has an associates in Computer Engineering and one in Electronics, he has been building and fixing computers for years. I may end up letting him play with this one. He is the one I learned what I do know about them from.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Brent can help tons, hopefully he'll come on soon

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

I know that he and Corey are both good, hate it when its not working, that one is my tv and my spare computer, lol.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
It may very well be your power supply, and if not that I would insert items back to the computer 1 by 1 as it might start to come alive at that point and the item not installed would lead to being bad. I dont believe its not your HD, as you mentioned it would at least come up and tell you it cant find your hard disk 0 or no disk detected as mine likes to do alot lately!

So I do believe it might be your power supply! But I have seen Video Cards to this aswell!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
try resetting the CMOS get the manual out should be very very easy to do, but as soon as you do jump back into the bios and check all specs and make sure they are all set up correctly since it resets....

My ati TV tunner card acted up the other day also... i had just installed it and it messed up so i removed it... got to reinstall her and see if it works.

If that dont work and she is comming on it may be the power supply, if so i have a brand new one sitting here in great shape for very very cheap (25 bucks) its a 350 watt and will power it with no problem.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
if you have another vid card definatly try it, just to see if yours craped out on you.

do you have any safty cutt off settings? make sure your cpu fan and all that is working, make sure its pluged in to the mobo and all that.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

I didn't set up any safety cut off settings, probably should have. I think I have an older ATI card I can try in there. I didn't actually try starting it with anything removed yet. I did pull out the vid card, and the tv card, dial up modem, I think that is about all the cards, any way, I pulled them all out and reseated them to check connection, but I have not tried to start it with anything removed. Maybe I should try it with the TV card out, I suppose it could have crapped out. That is a fairly new 400W power supply, but its possible it could be about gone, but as I said its getting power, lights stuff up, blinks the light on the dvd, lights the power and hard drive and the on board led lights. Thanks for all the hints, now to try some. Its an older Enlight case, on its 2nd or 3rd power supply already.

Rick
Old 02-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #13
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Sounds like your motherboard is messed up. Throw another processor in there to make sure it isnt that if it still doesnt work rma the motherboard

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #14
Regular

and make sure you dont just screw the mb down directly to the case and use the gold screws that come with it to mount it higher

Reddit
Old 02-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Depending on the beeps it sounds like Memory or the Processor. A computer will get to bios with a bad HDD. It could be your Video.

Here is the skinny

bad memory causes beeps
bad processor causes beeps
bad video causes no screen
A bad board does not do *****
Anything else is not actually need at boot so is not the culprit
A bad power supply is not the issue unless it is getting no power and you would not be getting a on board power light
Old 02-14-2005, 09:43 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Thanks guys
Old 02-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Send a message via AIM to 19ClearCobra96 Send a message via MSN to 19ClearCobra96
did u get it fixed then?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

NO, I wish, still trying man, checked the memory again, that didn't effect anything, had one out, then the other out, went back to original video card, Its probably fine, have the processor out now, I have 3 here, but the only one I am sure about is an old 900 mhz athlon, it was working for a while recently, the mainboard I had it on overclocked it a couple hundred mhz, but it did work. I have a 1.7 palomino core, and my old 1.2 ghz, which I am sure is bad, not positive on the palomino, but I dont' think its any good.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Now the one other thing I am thinking is the AGP slot my have taken a dump. Do you have a PCI video card laying around by any chance
Old 02-14-2005, 10:26 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

No, haven't had one of those in ages that I can remember. I thi4nk the motherboard, I tried two other processors, no luck, the 1.7 and the 900 mhz, same old beeps.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:28 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

It should be under manufacturers warranty, this is the second one I have had from the store, www.intrex.com. Had it a while, don't know about them turning loose of another one.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
No, haven't had one of those in ages that I can remember. I thi4nk the motherboard, I tried two other processors, no luck, the 1.7 and the 900 mhz, same old beeps.
Do you have any 333 ddr you can try
Old 02-14-2005, 10:34 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

No, just the 400 mhz pc 3200
Old 02-14-2005, 10:34 PM   #24
Regular

Doesnt even have to be 333 can be 266. I dont think its the ram though. Still thinking mb

Reddit
Old 02-14-2005, 10:39 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Doesnt even have to be 333 can be 266. I dont think its the ram though. Still thinking mb
It could be the board but the on board light comes on. I am thinking the AGP slot or ram slot is toast if the board is to blame. a couple of months ago I was in need of a PCI video card for a check on a computer I built 5 years ago that did not want to boot it would only beep. I got a TNT 2 PCI video card and it workedl. It ended up being a fried AGP slot

Is your board under warranty I have a Asus KT600 M/B if you want I will sell it cheap
Old 02-14-2005, 11:03 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Should be under warranty I haven't had it that long. Back in the Fall sometime. Store warranty is most likely gone, but should have manufacturers warranty.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:11 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

The only ddr I had before this was a stick of 266 and I gave that to my brother, I didn't really need it with what I have here.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Any new news ??????
Old 02-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

No, same as it was, I would describe the beeps as pulsing, very little quiet in between, and about 1 second long. I believe the motherboard is most likely gone bad somehow or other. Tried about everything else.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:58 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

That a 400 mhz motherboard you were telling me about? How much would you have to have for it Corey?
Old 02-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

It is the Asus A7V Kt600 400 FSb. 45 shipping included. It is brand new bought in late october.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to red pony V6
buy a Mac!
MGW shifter
and slow as hell...
red pony V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red pony V6
buy a Mac!
OH Hell MAC boy is trying to butt in. I would rather gouge my eyes out that by a MAC.

GO AWAY !!!!
Old 02-15-2005, 01:20 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to red pony V6
NO WAY DUDE!!! Macs are the way to go! i guess i've just always been a Mac person. that's what most of us graphic designers use anyways. sorry, didn't mean to take this thing off of topic!
MGW shifter
and slow as hell...
red pony V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Sounds good Corey, is that NForce II chipset or VIA? Will it support 2 or 3 sticks of 400 mhz DDR?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar