Seeking New Employment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Lightbulb Seeking New Employment

OK! I have come to the conclusion that I am going to change direction in my life. I am beginning a search for a job that I can begin doing and maybe enjoy. I am completely worn out with the automotive industry and my love for vehicles is slowly waining due to this. An automotive dealership is probably one of the most bile and depressing places to work, especially right now in this industry. I want an interesting job that I can continue to learn as it continues to change and shape. Nothing changes in a dealership, new cars same work ethics and attitude.

I have excellent communication skills and am also very talented with computers, mechanics, sales, and customer service. I have managed a crew of a half dozen employees. I have performed the duties of accounting and human resources as a small business manager/operator.

I know there is something better out there....

Anybody know of anything let me know!





/rant
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Seeking New Employment

Decide what you love to do, and do it. If you have to get an education to do it... then get one, before you know it you will have it and be ready to go.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
hottcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,638
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Decide what you love to do, and do it. If you have to get an education to do it... then get one, before you know it you will have it and be ready to go.
can't say it much better than that
__________________

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: Seeking New Employment

porno star...j/k seriously though, I run a small landscape/lawn care business in the summers when I'm home and I love it. You have the ideal skills/experience to own and operate one. I'm not sure how important lawn care and landscaping to people is down there by you...maybe that wouldn't work out.

IMO, at this point, I would do exactly what Spec said, do something you would love, something you would enjoy doing everyday. With your experience and management skills, I'm sure your options are not limited.

I've owned/operated a landscaping business for almost 11 years, and a small candy sales business for 2 years, and I loved it. I also worked at a hardware store for 4 years, and in dining hall for 1 year, and can honestly say I didn't enjoy it nearly as much. Being self employed is truly a pleasure if you manage your time/finances correctly.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
porno star...j/k seriously though, I run a small landscape/lawn care business in the summers when I'm home and I love it. You have the ideal skills/experience to own and operate one. I'm not sure how important lawn care and landscaping to people is down there by you...maybe that wouldn't work out.

IMO, at this point, I would do exactly what Spec said, do something you would love, something you would enjoy doing everyday. With your experience and management skills, I'm sure your options are not limited.

I've owned/operated a landscaping business for almost 11 years, and a small candy sales business for 2 years, and I loved it. I also worked at a hardware store for 4 years, and in dining hall for 1 year, and can honestly say I didn't enjoy it nearly as much. Being self employed is truly a pleasure if you manage your time/finances correctly.

The landscaping market down here is flooded with available companies. I would love to do that, but everybody does!
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
sonicpony03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,411
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
The landscaping market down here is flooded with available companies. I would love to do that, but everybody does!
Yah, I figured that, up here in bum**** egypt there isn't too much serious competition to worry about. Plus, my town is smaller, and that helps...

Well, good luck with your search, Hopefully you'll find something you'll like to do that is challenging, yet rewarding.
__________________


12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
Registered User
Newbie
 
HawaiianJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Florida
Posts: 10
Re: Seeking New Employment

How about aviation?

There are a ton of aviation jobs (especially A&P Mechanics) that will be opening up once the Baby Boomers start retiring. If you have any questions about the airlines or aviation in general, lemme know - I'm currently working as a Boeing 737 Maintenance Controller for a Charter airline in Miami, FL. I used to work for a few different airlines as an A&P Mechanic (Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines).
__________________
HawaiianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Seeking New Employment

I feel you on the dealership bull..

That's why I went back to school - It's a shame the automotive industry is in the shape it's in at the moment, or I would suggest an auto manufacturer, I got in at just the right time..
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianJohn View Post
How about aviation?

There are a ton of aviation jobs (especially A&P Mechanics) that will be opening up once the Baby Boomers start retiring. If you have any questions about the airlines or aviation in general, lemme know - I'm currently working as a Boeing 737 Maintenance Controller for a Charter airline in Miami, FL. I used to work for a few different airlines as an A&P Mechanic (Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines).
Are you serious? I have always wanted to get into aviation school, training, or a hands on job! I was very close to entering the Airforce years ago for Air Traffic Control but I got married and ......

I am very interested in a career path this direction. Since I have decided to look for other employment I have ran into an old buddy that is doing Air Traffic Control for the Navy in Miss. and a few people have recommended it. I checked out the FAA for available positions, but they all require a four year degree. ??? I would really like to get into this area with out 4 years of school at this moment! Let me know if you have any knowledge to offer me for this direction!
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Scut95's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Region: California
Posts: 501
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
I would really like to get into this area with out 4 years of school at this moment! Let me know if you have any knowledge to offer me for this direction!
I recommend talking to them and see what kind of 4 year degree they want you to have. Then see if they will allow you to start working for them and have them pay for you to go back to school while you work. Online night classes aren't so bad. Even if they partially pay for it, it's a win win. Maybe you can even do an internship deal with them!? Who know's but it doesn't hurt to ask and talk to them.
__________________

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Registered User
Newbie
 
HawaiianJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Florida
Posts: 10
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Are you serious? I have always wanted to get into aviation school, training, or a hands on job! I was very close to entering the Airforce years ago for Air Traffic Control but I got married and ......

I am very interested in a career path this direction. Since I have decided to look for other employment I have ran into an old buddy that is doing Air Traffic Control for the Navy in Miss. and a few people have recommended it. I checked out the FAA for available positions, but they all require a four year degree. ??? I would really like to get into this area with out 4 years of school at this moment! Let me know if you have any knowledge to offer me for this direction!
I have a couple of friends who used to work here with me at my airline - and now they're working Miami Tower for the FAA.

You will be required to be certified (licensed) to be an Air Traffic Controller by going to a participating school. The ones we have here in Miami are Miami/Dade College and Pan Am Flight Academy. One of the MAIN requirements to be hired as an ATC is that you MUST BE in school for your ATC certification at age 31 or younger! If you are in school already at age 31, then you are OK... if you're older than 31 - sorry, they won't take you.

If you're under 31 or getting close, I would suggest trying to get into an ATC school ASAP! Some schools have waiting lists, so you might want to check out a few different ones to see what would be best for you. If you have any other questions, let me know... I can ask my buddy Jose who is working at MIA TWR - and I can get back to you.

BTW - a 2 year college degree IS NOT REQUIRED (but HIGHLY recommended), but as with most schools that have the ATC program, you will end up getting a 2 year degree while getting certified for ATC. However, if the FAA website says that a 4 year degree is required, then they must have changed their requirements... cause my friends both only have 2 year degrees.
__________________
HawaiianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Registered User
Newbie
 
HawaiianJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Florida
Posts: 10
Re: Seeking New Employment

One other thing that is VERY important regarding working in aviation...

there are tons of aviation jobs available around the entire WORLD! However, you have to GO TO THE LOCATIONS THAT THOSE JOBS ARE AT!

Most aviation jobs are at MAJOR CITIES (cause that's where the major airports are at.... obviously... LOL). For anyone else looking to work at an AIRLINE, most likely you will have to work at the location that they have their headquarters - cause that is where most of the STARTING job openings are. Once you put in your time and a position opens up in a city where you really want to go, you can then bid on that opening.
__________________
HawaiianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Region: Alabama
Posts: 201
Re: Seeking New Employment

This is the sound of me never flying again.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianJohn View Post
I have a couple of friends who used to work here with me at my airline - and now they're working Miami Tower for the FAA.

You will be required to be certified (licensed) to be an Air Traffic Controller by going to a participating school. The ones we have here in Miami are Miami/Dade College and Pan Am Flight Academy. One of the MAIN requirements to be hired as an ATC is that you MUST BE in school for your ATC certification at age 31 or younger! If you are in school already at age 31, then you are OK... if you're older than 31 - sorry, they won't take you.

If you're under 31 or getting close, I would suggest trying to get into an ATC school ASAP! Some schools have waiting lists, so you might want to check out a few different ones to see what would be best for you. If you have any other questions, let me know... I can ask my buddy Jose who is working at MIA TWR - and I can get back to you.

BTW - a 2 year college degree IS NOT REQUIRED (but HIGHLY recommended), but as with most schools that have the ATC program, you will end up getting a 2 year degree while getting certified for ATC. However, if the FAA website says that a 4 year degree is required, then they must have changed their requirements... cause my friends both only have 2 year degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianJohn View Post
One other thing that is VERY important regarding working in aviation...

there are tons of aviation jobs available around the entire WORLD! However, you have to GO TO THE LOCATIONS THAT THOSE JOBS ARE AT!

Most aviation jobs are at MAJOR CITIES (cause that's where the major airports are at.... obviously... LOL). For anyone else looking to work at an AIRLINE, most likely you will have to work at the location that they have their headquarters - cause that is where most of the STARTING job openings are. Once you put in your time and a position opens up in a city where you really want to go, you can then bid on that opening.
Well, I am definitely interested and would really like to look into this further, I have always dreamed of flying and this would help me my head into that category so that I may one day get my licenses. I am only 22, so I have plenty of time but I still don't even know where to begin? Who do I call/email? I need to talk to somebody that knows what jobs are available, salaries, requirements, and somebody who can tell me what I have to do to get my foot in the door. Whether its an internship (PAID) or what? Thank you so much for the help you have given me already HawaiianJohn!
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWill View Post
This is the sound of me never flying again.
I think I missed the sound.. could you do that again ??
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
OsirisGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Region: New York
Posts: 1,262
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Seeking New Employment

Good luck on getting a new job, I just quit mine since I had it with them and I am now looking for a new job.

For the most part I disagree with SpecV. I've learned that hobbies and careers do not mix well unless you are really good at what you do and have been doing it or are at the head of the company. Then again I am sure that is just me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
OsirisGuy is correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Good luck on getting a new job, I just quit mine since I had it with them and I am now looking for a new job.

For the most part I disagree with SpecV. I've learned that hobbies and careers do not mix well unless you are really good at what you do and have been doing it or are at the head of the company. Then again I am sure that is just me.
Thank You! So, what were you dong?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Registered User
Newbie
 
HawaiianJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Florida
Posts: 10
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Well, I am definitely interested and would really like to look into this further, I have always dreamed of flying and this would help me my head into that category so that I may one day get my licenses. I am only 22, so I have plenty of time but I still don't even know where to begin? Who do I call/email? I need to talk to somebody that knows what jobs are available, salaries, requirements, and somebody who can tell me what I have to do to get my foot in the door. Whether its an internship (PAID) or what? Thank you so much for the help you have given me already HawaiianJohn!
Not a problem Nelson... I'm always happy to help.

I think you need to ask yourself - if you indeed plan to go into aviation, just WHAT do you want to do? What is your primary reason for getting into aviation? Is it for the Flight Benefits? Good money? Retirement package? Want to work for the government (FAA)? Want to be a Mechanic, throw bags or be a CSR (Customer Service Representative)?

There are many different types of jobs within aviation... and to tell the truth, the good paying ones all require certification. Regardless of WHICH job you would like to choose as your eventual career, it is best if you get your foot in the door in aviation as soon as possible. Whether its as an Aircraft Cleaner, Bag Smasher or Caterer.

You might want to check out the local colleges near you and see what kind of aviation related programs are available.
__________________
HawaiianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #19
Registered User
Newbie
 
HawaiianJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Florida
Posts: 10
Re: Seeking New Employment

BTW - here's a link to steer you in the right direction.

Schools

As for A&P Schools that are near you in Louisiana...

LOUISIANA TECHNICAL COLLEGE-LAFAYETTE CAMPUS
205 SHEPARD DRIVE
LAFAYETTE, LA 70508
(337)262-5962

SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY
3050 MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. DRIVE
SHREVEPORT, LA 71107
(318)674-3382

SOWELA TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE
3820 SENATOR J. BENNETT JOHNSON AVE
LAKE CHARLES, LA 70615
(337)491-2678
__________________
HawaiianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
OsirisGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Region: New York
Posts: 1,262
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Seeking New Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Thank You! So, what were you dong?
What was I doing?

Basically car audio stuff. The shop I went to had me do more ***** work then getting the experience I need. I know what I am doing, I just need the physical experience.

Aviation is a really good business. Become a pilot and you will see the world.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicMist View Post
OsirisGuy is correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
seeking some help from anyone around san francisco whipster24 The Bar 10 02-20-2005 01:04 PM

» Members Mustangs

SGM

BigCiv

Ilima

desotelljl2
Add your Mustang
» Like Us On Facebook



09:41 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.