LS1 Fits Perfect in 4.6 Stangs - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:21 AM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
no imports(namely hondas) do it cause the engines that come with most of their pos commuters were made for 1 thing, COMMUTING. they gotta take a engine out of a top of the line acura 30k car, which the engine swap alone costs around 3 grand. and by the time theyre running they only shave .5 seconds off their time, not cause its lighter, because theyre ****tards that shouldve bought a car that has the potential right off the bat.
lol I know totally. This guy at work was telling me he wants to swap engines with this other car, but the engine is so heavy it'll only shave off a small amount. So I told him, write out everything and how much it'll cost. Then ask yourself if it really is worth going through all that trouble. He said he's just going to buy a new car now

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 04:44 AM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
i dont know. maybe if my parents gave me a civic for a first car or graduating or whatnot, then instead of taking out a 10k loan on a new car id mod the civic. 3k is the going rate of most swaps, this is with the engine, tranny, ecu and harness. but if you look at the honduh sites its a frenzy, everyones constantly swapping parts. its like a huge network them honda traders have, my buddy was getting deep into honda parts swapping for a while before i turned him from the dark side into dsm's.

tell your buddy to look for a car he can easily mod that doesnt require swapping in parts from 10 other cars to get it remotely capible of having any potential. a car that doesnt require a second job to make it alot faster than it is. i think a fox 5o will suit these needs. or if hes into the 4bangers a 1g awd is always a good find if you know what to do with it. but if hes a ricer please dont let him know about the 1g awd, because like i said there are people who id rather see them with the car and not the hands of a fast and furious wannabe wrenchhead who knows nothing about bewst, timing, fuel control, etc.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:11 AM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy
you sooo need to put a 03 cobra 4.6 in your car man!!!!
Yeah! Because swapping from an all aluminum 5.7L to an iron block 4.6L makes alot of sense... :chin:

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 07:36 AM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
^lol
Old 03-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
A lot and I mean a lot of bracket racers do stuff like this especially if you race for motors. A 350 in a mustang will fit and run super but if you loose you loose less than if you are running a 4.6.
Ive thought about doing something like this just for fun but I have way to many other projects.. Wifes stang with a 4.2, green car, 4.0 stuff. It will have to wait. a Nice carbed 350 in a notch would be fun.
AlmostN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:26 AM   #41
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
I'm just curious why the thread says that it fits perfect in 4.6 stangs.

Why wouldn't it fit perfect in a 3.8?
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
cause the way the motor mounts already sit on the 4.6 less work

bet it would work either way once you move around the mounts
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #43
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
i know a guy thats dropping an ls1 into his 80 something supra... its pretty ****in sweet actually

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:46 PM   #44
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
Yeah! Because swapping from an all aluminum 5.7L to an iron block 4.6L makes alot of sense... :chin:
When that iron 4.6L is able to make that aluminum 5.7L its ***** time after time...it makes lots of sense.

As was stated before: Ford | Chevy --> There is a line...and it shouldn't be crossed. Whether old or new, that line should not be crossed. Ever.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #45
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
When that iron 4.6L is able to make that aluminum 5.7L its ***** time after time...it makes lots of sense.

As was stated before: Ford | Chevy --> There is a line...and it shouldn't be crossed. Whether old or new, that line should not be crossed. Ever.
:patriot:

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 1997grnstang
true
5-speed
1997grnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:56 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
347 > LS1 in price/performance
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:19 PM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
oh yeah, oh yeah. They had to throw a supercharger on it, just to make 50 more horses than the LS1 (or 15 less than the normally aspirated LS6...). We'll forget about the weight difference for now.

I like turtles.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:23 PM   #49
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
whoooo here we go again comparing a small block SMALL displacement V8 to a small block LARGE displacement v8

of course displacement is gonna own.... there's no replacement for displacement, and any argument about it can hold true for the larger engine (SC the mustang to beat the LS1! ... answer? SC the LS1 and have a BEAST on your hands without hardly trying)

not the LARGEST fan of chevies ever but c'mon.. make some sense here people =p

besides, we all know that if ford put their mind to it, and made a 5.7/8 liter engine today it'd blow the LS1 and all its NA variants out of the water :nod:
/end ignorant mode
Old 03-30-2005, 08:29 PM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
The only LS1 swap that might be better than a Mustang (complete with a big *** bowtie in the back window...) would be these LS1 powered RX-7's...damnit, having trouble finding the links...
Found some:

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=22

I like turtles.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:29 PM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy

Here's what I was really looking for:

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/

I like turtles.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #52
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
oh yeah, oh yeah. They had to throw a supercharger on it, just to make 50 more horses than the LS1 (or 15 less than the normally aspirated LS6...). We'll forget about the weight difference for now.
This wasn't about an LS6 though, it was about the LS1. Also, it was about sticking the cobra's 4.6L into a mustang instead of a chebby LS1. By the way, what number are you basing the 15 less on? The marketed HP of the cobra, or the actual HP of the cobra? There is a difference...about 35 hp difference in fact.

As for the weight difference, I will put my car, in stock form, against any stock LS1 and I would bet on me. In current form, I will put it against any stock LS1 and I will give them a head start. I've drilled many, and will continue to do so.

As for the supercharger argument. That is about as lame as the ricers saying "yeah, well, you need 8 cylinders and we are doing it with 4". Forced induction is used to mimic what happens when you have big displacement. Chevy uses litres to get X amount of air into the engine, Ford uses a supercharger. Big deal. The same argument could be used to say that the only reason the viper is as fast as it is is because dodge had to use 2 more cylinders.

The fact of the matter is that the 03/04 cobra engine is a beast that is easier, cheaper, and better to get power out of that its larger counterpart...you know, the one that was the heart of that other set of rival cars. What were they again...F Bodies I think. Don't remember, been a while since I saw a new one.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #53
Regular

Quote:
ha yea and what are they putting those engines into now

Reddit
Old 03-30-2005, 08:34 PM   #54
Regular

Quote:
This wasn't about an LS6 though, it was about the LS1. Also, it was about sticking the cobra's 4.6L into a mustang instead of a chebby LS1. By the way, what number are you basing the 15 less on? The marketed HP of the cobra, or the actual HP of the cobra? There is a difference...about 35 hp difference in fact.

As for the weight difference, I will put my car, in stock form, against any stock LS1 and I would bet on me. In current form, I will put it against any stock LS1 and I will give them a head start. I've drilled many, and will continue to do so.

As for the supercharger argument. That is about as lame as the ricers saying "yeah, well, you need 8 cylinders and we are doing it with 4". Forced induction is used to mimic what happens when you have big displacement. Chevy uses litres to get X amount of air into the engine, Ford uses a supercharger. Big deal. The same argument could be used to say that the only reason the viper is as fast as it is is because dodge had to use 2 more cylinders.

The fact of the matter is that the 03/04 cobra engine is a beast that is easier, cheaper, and better to get power out of that its larger counterpart...you know, the one that was the heart of that other set of rival cars. What were they again...F Bodies I think. Don't remember, been a while since I saw a new one.
:patriot: x 2

Reddit
Old 03-30-2005, 10:05 PM   #55
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
After all this discussion. Look back at the late 90's, early 00's. What was the best bang for your buck in a sports car, the Z28/SS/TransAm. This is a fact, you could pick up a all aluminum 5.7 LS1 car with a T56 tranny for around 20k. Ford could not rival these prices. My main problem with the stupid f-bodies is the dang rear window view. You can't see crap out the back window.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:20 PM   #56
Regular

Quote:
Ford could not rival these prices.
There is a reason.. and it is why Ford is still making the Mustang and GM isnt making the TransAm or Camaro

Reddit
Old 03-31-2005, 12:12 AM   #57
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
its not because of the cars GM is or isnt selling, GM is going downhill, regardless of car sales

you guys can bicker, whine, fight, flame, but in all reality, the LS1 is a better designed engine in some aspects, and the 4.6 is better in some aspects

i personally prefer the LS1, less complex, they are easy to work on, and can make killer KILLER power, ive seen more 10 second daily driven LS1's than any 4.6L, and theyre still a pushrod V8 with one cam
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 AM   #58
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
I'm just curious why the thread says that it fits perfect in 4.6 stangs.

Why wouldn't it fit perfect in a 3.8?
the actual crossmembers are different between a 3.8 car, and a 4.6 car, im not sure of the exact differences, but a 5.0 and 3.8 work in one k-member, and a 4.6 works in a differnet one
Old 03-31-2005, 12:15 AM   #59
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
its not because of the cars GM is or isnt selling, GM is going downhill, regardless of car sales

you guys can bicker, whine, fight, flame, but in all reality, the LS1 is a better designed engine in some aspects, and the 4.6 is better in some aspects

i personally prefer the LS1, less complex, they are easy to work on, and can make killer KILLER power, ive seen more 10 second daily driven LS1's than any 4.6L, and theyre still a pushrod V8 with one cam
umm I am pretty sure Ford could go the same route GM did and make them a Pushrod large displacement engine and put it in mustang but there is a reason they don't and you can figure that out on your own.

The LS1 does no good if they can't put it in a car that makes them money.

Reddit
Old 03-31-2005, 08:59 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Actually the year of car is what matters 94-95 3.8/50 fit. 96 up 4.6/3.8 fit. Were dropping a 4.6 in a 2001 3.8 car no problems.
AlmostN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:48 AM   #61
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
See, this is where you are getting confuzzled. The statement was, stick a cobra motor in and be done with it. Now, I am willing to bet there are more 10 second cobra 4.6L than you imagine. It doesn't take a ton to get one there....and they are all DDs.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:33 AM   #62
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
umm I am pretty sure Ford could go the same route GM did and make them a Pushrod large displacement engine and put it in mustang but there is a reason they don't and you can figure that out on your own.

The LS1 does no good if they can't put it in a car that makes them money.
so the corvette isnt a money maker? the GTO isnt a money maker? there is a truck version of the LS1, then the LS6 which isnt much different...

and ford and their better ideas...i personally dont like modular engines, theyre too complex, have a 10ft timing chain to drive 2 or 4 cams (ever change one?), and parts are way too expensive, prices are starting to come down, but jesus man, the parts are brutal!

we can argue all we want, we're still going to have the "ford or nothing"/"chevy or nothing", i just happen to prefer the LS1 over the 4.6 (i DESPISE modular engines), but i wouldnt put one in a Ford, unless it was a 30's hot rod or something of the sort
Old 03-31-2005, 11:35 AM   #63
Road Trip!

Quote:
See, this is where you are getting confuzzled. The statement was, stick a cobra motor in and be done with it. Now, I am willing to bet there are more 10 second cobra 4.6L than you imagine. It doesn't take a ton to get one there....and they are all DDs.
not locally, ther 03 cobra guys around here put exhaust on it, and then drive like they have a stick up their ***

you could pull up next to them in a tubbed out, ford falcon, roots blower out the hood, headers out the fenders, parachute, the works, and theyd look at you with the "why should i bother racing you, im too good for you"

maybe elsewhere there are 10 second DD cobra's, not around here
Old 03-31-2005, 11:37 AM   #64
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Bane-
I believe tbird was talking about the 2v 4.6's.

ill admit the ls1 is a hell of a motor. But if I ever swap a motor into my 88 Ill either do a 331 or 351

btw...
pushrod > all

with my whole 225hp and 300ft lbs w/ just tranny work (c4,shift kit,trac lok,ratchet shifter) , Im confident I can take just about any pre99 v6 or gt and it feels good to have a almost 20yr old car still whooping ***.

The other day I beat a 00 v6 5spd (my friend) a pre 99 v6 (dumbass punk kid) then a friend with a 03 focus w/ intake/exhaust (hes not to bright either lol)
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:18 PM   #65
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
so the corvette isnt a money maker? the GTO isnt a money maker?
No, the GTO is NOT a money maker. They are almost paying you to take an 04 off the lot. In fact, there are so many unsold ones that they are planning to sell them to places like avis and enterprise just to get them sold.

The 05, in it's mystical form since there are nearly none anywhere yet (what takes companies so long to get **** out anyhow), might make a couple of dollars, but, it isn't going to be a money maker. It better be if anyone wants to see an 06 as pontiac may be going down if they don't make money this year or next.

Pushrod motors may be the greatest thing to sliced bread for some, but that is no reason to put a chebby motor in a ford. Why not just buy a 351 and be done with it. Or, like has been stated, a 347 or something simular. No need to put a little boy's (afterall, only little boys wear bowties) engine into a ford. Upgrade to a bigger better ford motor and be done with it.

There, I'm done pissing up this rope for now. Carry on.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #66
Road Trip!

Quote:
No, the GTO is NOT a money maker. They are almost paying you to take an 04 off the lot. In fact, there are so many unsold ones that they are planning to sell them to places like avis and enterprise just to get them sold.
i guess it depends on the area, ive seen a good amount of em in one town (rockville area), and it seemed like people were buying the hell out of em down there
Old 03-31-2005, 01:18 PM   #67
Legacy Member
Legacy

rich yuppies dont count tbird

ive only seen like 4 new goats and 1 was a 05 by the bar down the road from the house. but its hard to compare a 281 .vs a 350 even though chevy had to compare their 350 to the 302 awhile back when the camaro and **** was around, cant imagine why they woulnt compare their cars to a motor of similar size :chin: stupid chebby
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Old 03-31-2005, 01:22 PM   #68
Regular

Quote:
so the corvette isnt a money maker? the GTO isnt a money maker? there is a truck version of the LS1, then the LS6 which isnt much different...
Are you kidding me... the Corvette is the ONLY car that they can sell. I didn't say every car they made failed but it is the ONLY thing they have that actually sells. And it gets uglier every year.. imo

Quote:
and ford and their better ideas...i personally dont like modular engines, theyre too complex, have a 10ft timing chain to drive 2 or 4 cams (ever change one?), and parts are way too expensive, prices are starting to come down, but jesus man, the parts are brutal!
They can get the power out of them they want and they can make them and sell them for profit in the cars they put them in. It's called smart business. I am sure they could go back to pushrod and come up with a ls1 montster displacement engine and lost money out of the *** when they either have to raise the price of the mustangs or take the hit and keep the price the same.

Quote:
we can argue all we want, we're still going to have the "ford or nothing"/"chevy or nothing", i just happen to prefer the LS1 over the 4.6 (i DESPISE modular engines), but i wouldnt put one in a Ford, unless it was a 30's hot rod or something of the sort
Well that's nice that you prefer the ls1 but we are talking about economically sound choices here between automakers. The LS1 is a beast of a engine.. I never said it wasn't. I am the type that will never put a GM engine into a Ford car... especially a mustang... that is just not right. I have Ford in my blood though and that is why. I can not see the point when you have the 331 and the 347 to play with.

Reddit
Old 03-31-2005, 02:26 PM   #69
Legacy Member
Legacy

they dont even need to come up with a pushrod on par with the ls1...the 5.0 was fine until they killed it, Id prefer it to a 4.6 anyday just a more well built motor imho.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:23 PM   #70
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

one word HEMI!!!!
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar