v8 vs v6....what is muscle...the conclusions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to tedness
v8 vs v6....what is muscle...the conclusions

when you have a v8 owner who looks down upon a v6, what are the conclusions to be made? KEEP IN MIND I COULD CARE LESS WHAT THE V8 GUYS THINK AND THIS IS NOT TARGETING ALL V8ERS, JUST THOSE WHO FEEL HIGH AND MIGHTY OVER US 6ERS, THIS IS JUST A CONCLUSION FOR THOSE WHO DO CARE SO DON'T GIVE ME LIP ABOUT IT

- are we the same level as rice to them?
- what does it take to earn respect of non-respecters of the # of cylinders?
- the above is assuming you care what they think in the first place
- what is american muscle?

technically american muscle doesn't even refer to half of the modern camaro and modern stang guys out there. it is respectfully those cars made in the mid-later part of the 20th century and the modern day v8 is technically not muslce by definition...

well from what i've seen the v8ers respect smaller block cars more that can make the same numbers as them, without power adders.

take for example this guy in our neighboring scene. he drives a stroked 4.2l and keeps up with many a sn95 cobra. they ask 'whats he boosting' and he replies with 'all motor' and their jaws drop.

then you have the set of v8ers that says 'the money you put into that 6 could blah blah blah'...

in reality, much of the time it costs less to make the power in the immediate and long run.

late model gt = $15k
late model v6 + engine build or boosted = $9k + $4k = $2k less than gt but more power

their argument? you hit a power wall. ok sure we hit a power wall on the stock block, but if we forge liek many of them do we can boost to 600rwhp+ easily. and i don't know about you but i don't ever plan to have a daily driver making that much power. it's just pointless and too tempting to be stupid with.

so yes, they start out with more power, but insurance and initial costs can easily trump us 6ers by $2k-$3k, but in the end if we're all lookin for power on the track, we can keep up just as easily without problems.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

i dont care what people think. i got my car for ME, NOT THEM

i got it for three reasons:
1. looks
2. decent performance for me
3. cheaper (price and insurance)

if someone says "why didnt you get a v8?" i respond "i didnt think it needed one."

and when you think about it, the v6 is not really a slouch at all. 15.5 out of a STOCK, BASELINE mustang isnt bad considering that most mid-line imports run those times whereas their baselines are mid 16s.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Send a message via AIM to 232stang01 Send a message via Yahoo to 232stang01
good point. Thie other one to ponder is where would the GT and Cobra be if not for the V6? Yes, there are plenty of v8 stangs on the road, but if the 6er didn't sell like it did, there'd be no v8, or mustang for that matter.
232stang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #4
Regular

Region: Tennessee
They won't be talking any **** to me in 2 months I know that much

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
*claps*
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Really?

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang01
good point. Thie other one to ponder is where would the GT and Cobra be if not for the V6? Yes, there are plenty of v8 stangs on the road, but if the 6er didn't sell like it did, there'd be no v8, or mustang for that matter.
i think there still would be gts and cobras on the road, but they would be way more expensive than they are now.
b/c ford sells many mustangs, they can lower the price. now knock out the top selling mustang (v6) then, the price would obviously have to go up to still make a profit.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
Really?
No really.

Reddit
Old 04-18-2005, 10:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
- are we the same level as rice to them?
- what does it take to earn respect of non-respecters of the # of cylinders?
- the above is assuming you care what they think in the first place
- what is american muscle?
A. this arguement seriously resurfaces at least once every other month. Seriously make this a stickie too.

B. V6s can be rice alot go for that show look but then you have that % a very small % that decide hey im gonna modd my V6 (I myself was there at one time)

Why must you worry so much what the V8 owners think? Seriously I never got it why so many V6 owners would whine so much about the V8 owners picking on them. Its like seriously who cares stop caring so much and just do it for yourself. **** you think those riceboys are stopping what they do nope cause most dont care and are just doing it for themselves do most agree on those choices nope cause they arent ours. Get it.

As for american muscle thats none of us, cause the days of good ol straight up hot rods ended back in the early 70s. plain and simple a small generation made of just flat out straight out the dealers im gonna whoop your *** at the first red light type car. That they just dont make today and in my opinion never honestly will like they did back in that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang
and when you think about it, the v6 is not really a slouch at all. 15.5 out of a STOCK, BASELINE mustang isnt bad considering that most mid-line imports run those times whereas their baselines are mid 16s.
your crazy to think a stock 99+ V6 runs 15.5 stock. Please turn around and slam your head against the wall.
Your right there with imports dont let that reality escape you. Dont let the reality of a certain 4 door cars that will ***** slap you into reality.

Coming from someone that put alot of money into a V6 and was damn proud of cause I was whipping on bolt on V8s was great but reality is as much cash as I sank into that car didnt even come to par to when I got my 89 in all stock form was in every way faster then V6. Sucks to know that I threw only a few gs into my car and at already how fast I am. Something thats just not possible witha V6 unless your deeply into it. Like I said whos to stop you from modding your 6-er. Your just that % and be proud cause thats def accomplishable in the end
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:36 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

preach it yo.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
your crazy to think a stock 99+ V6 runs 15.5 stock. Please turn around and slam your head against the wall.
a properly-driven 5-speed v6 can do mid 15s. an auto is around 16 sec range. i have seen this happen. i live about 5 min from a 1/4 mile dragstrip and see this on a regular basis.
avg for stock manuals that i have seen is around 15.5-15.7 if the driver can drive
avg for stock autos that i have seen is around 15.8-16.3 range. on a bad night, my auto hit 15.9.
believe me, mid 15s in a stock 5-speed is not an impossible task.
not trying to argue or start **** w/ you, just goin by what i have read in other mustang forums as well as my own personal experience.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:45 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

hmmm is the 99-01 that much diff than 02-04?

supposedly...ever so slightly more torque and hp in the latter cuz of the added .1 liter displacement? or is that just ford's way of trying to entice our v6 market?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:45 PM   #13
Regular

the .1l is not anything other than ford using windstar parts to save money. No HP and no TQ gain.

Reddit
Old 04-18-2005, 10:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to NJStang86
I can assure you that a stock auto v6 is not going to run anywhere near a 16 flat....you're easily looking at mid 16s

a stock 5-speed with a decent driver can pull a 16 flat if not a 15.8 or 15.9........you will not see mid 15s out of a stock (off the lot) 5-speed v6

you obviously saw partially modded (cai or whatever else they had) v6s running

now that is the facts
NJStang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
a properly-driven 5-speed v6 can do mid 15s. an auto is around 16 sec range. i have seen this happen. i live about 5 min from a 1/4 mile dragstrip and see this on a regular basis.
avg for stock manuals that i have seen is around 15.5-15.7 if the driver can drive
avg for stock autos that i have seen is around 15.8-16.3 range. on a bad night, my auto hit 15.9.
believe me, mid 15s in a stock 5-speed is not an impossible task.
not trying to argue or start **** w/ you, just goin by what i have read in other mustang forums as well as my own personal experience.
Sorry man but as long as I owned a V6 and been around the V6 boards from the very first one made way back. Ive never seen anyone show a timeslip for what you say a 15.5 Ive seen really high 15s but never anything in the mids. I then again have no clue how much of deal the 02-04s but ive never seen it. Not saying you didnt see it but I havent. Know of any timeslips. (only way im gonna believe it sorry no offense or anything)
Old 04-18-2005, 10:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJStang86
I can assure you that a stock auto v6 is not going to run anywhere near a 16 flat....you're easily looking at mid 16s

a stock 5-speed with a decent driver can pull a 16 flat if not a 15.8 or 15.9........you will not see mid 15s out of a stock (off the lot) 5-speed v6

now that is the facts
Glad im not the only one thinking the same thoughts
Old 04-18-2005, 10:54 PM   #17
Regular

Quote:

now that is the facts
That is not anymore fact than what he has said. It can not be proven has true or false so it is not a fact. You can only speculate one way or the other.

Reddit
Old 04-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is not anymore fact than what he has said.
Most timeslips posted of stock V6s are in that range go look over at V6P
Old 04-18-2005, 10:57 PM   #19
Regular

Quote:
Most timeslips posted of stock V6s are in that range go look over at V6P
Still doesn't make it a fact which is what he said it was. v6power doesnt hold every timeslip that a v6 mustang as run either.

I am not saying that one can run 15.5 and I am not saying one can't I am saying that no one can say that it is a fact one way or another.

Reddit
Old 04-18-2005, 10:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry man but as long as I owned a V6 and been around the V6 boards from the very first one made way back. Ive never seen anyone show a timeslip for what you say a 15.5 Ive seen really high 15s but never anything in the mids. I then again have no clue how much of deal the 02-04s but ive never seen it. Not saying you didnt see it but I havent. Know of any timeslips. (only way im gonna believe it sorry no offense or anything)
heres a post i made in another mustang board i belong to
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/show...=112007&page=1
post 14 is the owner of a stock 5-speed

yes he does have high 15s in other posts on this thread, but post 14 shows what he ran w/ minimal wheelspin.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

im sure the '05 v6 comes closer than the '04
Old 04-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is not anymore fact than what he has said. It can not be proven has true or false so it is not a fact. You can only speculate one way or the other.
You want slips Brent? Cause I sure as hell have them......Don't even begin to lecture me on this.....

I spent the day at the track 2 weekends ago and there was a handfull of 6-banger stangs running, mine included....I could not for the life of me match the 16.2 that I ran when I first got there. My r/t's ranged from .014 to .100

Yea it was obviously the conditions, but I can honestly tell you there is no f.uckin way a stock v6 auto can come close to running a 16 flat
Old 04-18-2005, 11:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
heres a post i made in another mustang board i belong to
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/show...=112007&page=1
post 14 is the owner of a stock 5-speed

yes he does have high 15s in other posts on this thread, but post 14 shows what he ran w/ minimal wheelspin.
His car is definately not stock...
Old 04-18-2005, 11:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
he has never mentioned anything about mods. you can go and search other threads and posts that he has made, but to my knowledge, he is stock.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedness
im sure the '05 v6 comes closer than the '04
although i dont like car and driver mag too much and i hate to be a magazine racer, car and driver claims 15.3 out of an 05 auto v6

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2

i think thats impressive
Old 04-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #26
Regular

Quote:
And you know this how?

Reddit
Old 04-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #27
Regular

Quote:
You want slips Brent? Cause I sure as hell have them......Don't even begin to lecture me on this.....

I spent the day at the track 2 weekends ago and there was a handfull of 6-banger stangs running, mine included....I could not for the life of me match the 16.2 that I ran when I first got there. My r/t's ranged from .014 to .100

Yea it was obviously the conditions, but I can honestly tell you there is no f.uckin way a stock v6 auto can come close to running a 16 flat
and the very person you are arguing with ran a 15.9 with only a UDP and CAI which is basically nothing. Stock your looking at 16.0-16.15 in the same conditions.

and why do people continually try to get around a swear censor that can be turned off :chin:

Reddit
Old 04-18-2005, 11:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
although i dont like car and driver mag too much and i hate to be a magazine racer, car and driver claims 15.3 out of an auto v6

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2

i think thats impressive
You should've taken your advice and not even posted that. These magazine tests are done usually at optimum conditions or on a dyno. I have yet to see the new 4.0 v6's run at the track, so I'm not going to make any guesses on the 1/4 times for it.

And as far as that other guy in the post, even though he hasn't "bragged" about any mods doesn't mean he hasn't got any. I can't believe you're having this hard of a time in calculating/estimating 1/4 mile times......It's just not possible for a stock v6 to run that low.

Dude have you really been to the track? No offense man, but if you really have then you'd know how hard it is to get those times with an auto, let alone a v6
Old 04-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
ah the v6 vs v8 mustang thread. didnt see this one coming

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #30
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
ah the v6 vs v8 mustang thread. didnt see this one coming
It's not even about this now. Now they want to argue over what a V6 can run stock

Reddit
Old 04-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You should've taken your advice and not even posted that. These magazine tests are done usually at optimum conditions or on a dyno. I have yet to see the new 4.0 v6's run at the track, so I'm not going to make any guesses on the 1/4 times for it.

And as far as that other guy in the post, even though he hasn't "bragged" about any mods doesn't mean he hasn't got any. I can't believe you're having this hard of a time in calculating/estimating 1/4 mile times......It's just not possible for a stock v6 to run that low.

Dude have you really been to the track? No offense man, but if you really have then you'd know how hard it is to get those times with an auto, let alone a v6
i know, thats why i was hesitant about posting the mag times.

i can pm the guy next time he is on and ask, but thats all i can do.

can you post a link to an e/t calculator? i want to put in my hp numbers and see what it tells me i should run.

and yes, i have been to the track, quite a few times, but only raced one night though, the other times were to watch.
here are my times w/ my first night ever running, except for the first run, it wasnt very hard to hit high 15s as you can see, i kept it there 3 times 15.9,15.9, 16.0------heres the thread:
http://mustangevolution.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13739
Old 04-18-2005, 11:31 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Quote:
It's not even about this now. Now they want to argue over what a V6 can run stock
wow theyre bringing et calculators. its bench racing at its finest.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:33 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
wow theyre bringing et calculators. its bench racing at its finest.

i dont think i'm benchracing as i have brought in timeslips
yes, the e/t calculators can be seen as benchracing, but c'mon man, i posted some timeslips, gimme some slack
Old 04-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i will always talk **** to you
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #35
Regular