holy crap a twin turbo ranger on ebay - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2005, 11:27 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge
holy crap a twin turbo ranger on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
350HP is all???

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:35 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
350HP is all???
that is actually really good for a ranger. With just a supercharger and all stock on a 4.0 you will get around 275hp so 350 is good. Right now there isn't a whole lot of working room with the 4.0 but give it a year we will probably see 400+ possible. Also from what I can tell the motor is totally stock. He didn't list anything else so. 350 with just the twin turbo and engine managment system its very impressive.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 11:53 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
no its not impressive by any means.

ok heres why. i know hes not even working those turbos to their potential. im betting hes running like a measly 10psi which is the max he can do on stock internals, assuming theyre stock.

if they are stock internals and he can only run 10psi, what the **** is the point in running 2 freaking turbos? is a single turbo ranger not awe enough? hell 10psi, he couldve accomplished that with the stock t25 pos turbo that came off my car. and assuming he did what all tt guys do and put the biggest ones they can get, hes actually screwing himself over. if he has 2 big huge turbos and theyre not even close to operating in their efficiency range, theyre just being a exhaust restriction. having a restriction that huge in the exhaust means his volumetric effiency must suck complete ***. hes getting forced in more air than is exhumed. that-bad.

ok now lets say hes running 10psi and making 350hp, which is pretty good. but if youre gonna spend that much on a turbo setup capible of 500+ hp and hope one day to do just that, why put on such a big setup, when you cant even run that much yet. i would have started with the engine, and worked my way outward for a project like that. i dont know, spending 3k on a turbo kit and not being able to use it to even half its potential till you soak another 3k into the engine just doesnt sound like smart modding.

ok lets say that he is running built internals, more than 20psi of boost, etc. then thats a really low number. im at around 350hp as i stand with lots of headroom(500hp cabible on stock internals), im a 2.0 I4 running 20psi. he is a 4.0 V6 running 20psi(still assuming he is) which is almost at his peak.

ok so its pretty nifty anyways, turbo ranger, whoopteedoo and all that. i wouldve done things different but i guess thats me.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:04 AM   #5
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
wiat... youre runnin 350hp in that eclipse??? i wanna see some dyno numbers man lol

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
no its not impressive by any means.

ok heres why. i know hes not even working those turbos to their potential. im betting hes running like a measly 10psi which is the max he can do on stock internals, assuming theyre stock.

if they are stock internals and he can only run 10psi, what the **** is the point in running 2 freaking turbos? is a single turbo ranger not awe enough? hell 10psi, he couldve accomplished that with the stock t25 pos turbo that came off my car. and assuming he did what all tt guys do and put the biggest ones they can get, hes actually screwing himself over. if he has 2 big huge turbos and theyre not even close to operating in their efficiency range, theyre just being a exhaust restriction. having a restriction that huge in the exhaust means his volumetric effiency must suck complete ***. hes getting forced in more air than is exhumed. that-bad.

ok now lets say hes running 10psi and making 350hp, which is pretty good. but if youre gonna spend that much on a turbo setup capible of 500+ hp and hope one day to do just that, why put on such a big setup, when you cant even run that much yet. i would have started with the engine, and worked my way outward for a project like that. i dont know, spending 3k on a turbo kit and not being able to use it to even half its potential till you soak another 3k into the engine just doesnt sound like smart modding.

ok lets say that he is running built internals, more than 20psi of boost, etc. then thats a really low number. im at around 350hp as i stand with lots of headroom(500hp cabible on stock internals), im a 2.0 I4 running 20psi. he is a 4.0 V6 running 20psi(still assuming he is) which is almost at his peak.

ok so its pretty nifty anyways, turbo ranger, whoopteedoo and all that. i wouldve done things different but i guess thats me.

I agree however being that it is a ranger and most people dont look at it as a performance vehicle. It is pretty impressive. Right now the 3.0 v6 is the only that has anyaftermarket performance add-ons. There are a few small things here and there but nothing that gives a substantial gain. However right now explorer express is working or should be just about done with the kit with the 4.0 v6. However it alone cost 4-4500 which is extreme for just a 75hp gain. Also I give the guy credit weither he did it the way it should of been done or not. For just attempting to go that extreme in a ranger. I love rangers and would love to see the aftermarket boom in performance for them. I know most people would careless about buying and ranger and building it for performance, but rangers have a lot of potential to see high hp. The fastest street legal ranger I know of is in the low 12's running a 4.0 that is supercharged and was stroked to a 4.2 also running nitrous and street tires.

I do believe though that the guy is running a stock block. Not to much room to mess with them right now. Hopefully that will change soon now that the 4.0 is in the mustang.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 04-22-2005, 07:03 AM   #7
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Its cool and all, everyone knows I love turbos, but. its. still. a. ranger.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:40 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
i wouldnt buy it

that description is so...lacking

kinda like when you ask what a guy has done to his car, and all he can say is "engine work"
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
i wouldnt buy it

that description is so...lacking

kinda like when you ask what a guy has done to his car, and all he can say is "engine work"
Doug who owns www.bamachips.com and also had the sponsored whipple charged 3.0 ranger said he's seen the truck. He said it was built by a company and that they used some weird engine management for it and that he wouldn't even touch it now.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 04-22-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
Quote:
hell 10psi, he couldve accomplished that with the stock t25 pos turbo that came off my car.
i have to disagree with you there

the T25, which is almost equivalent to the IHI on the turbo coupes, wouldnt support a 4.0L if their lives depended on it, the T25, and even T3 work best on engines with displacement from rougly 1.9-2.4 litres, sure they could make boost, and maybe your desired boost, but at that point, the turbos would be nothing but a restriction, and create backpressure issues, and probably create a lot of heat, because it cant flow the exhaust that the engine is making

sonic04edge, do you know any other details, managment doesnt concern me too much, because theres so many variations, but do you know anything about the setup, or any sources that do? things like turbo placement (since its not visible), intercooler, turbo size etc.?
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
^^^yeah i know, i was just using that as an example.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:30 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
i have to disagree with you there

the T25, which is almost equivalent to the IHI on the turbo coupes, wouldnt support a 4.0L if their lives depended on it, the T25, and even T3 work best on engines with displacement from rougly 1.9-2.4 litres, sure they could make boost, and maybe your desired boost, but at that point, the turbos would be nothing but a restriction, and create backpressure issues, and probably create a lot of heat, because it cant flow the exhaust that the engine is making

sonic04edge, do you know any other details, managment doesnt concern me too much, because theres so many variations, but do you know anything about the setup, or any sources that do? things like turbo placement (since its not visible), intercooler, turbo size etc.?

No clue man I just ran across it on my ranger forum and the link was the only thing in it.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar