How exactly does buying a car work? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
How exactly does buying a car work?

When I go get this cobra, wtf do I do? My dad took care of the last car... but Im on my own for this one and im not really sure how to get a temp tag since its gonna be registered in iowa, but im in kansas. Also, how does insurance work? Do I get some temporary thing for that too or what? Anyone with some insight on this let me know, Im goin to see the car tommorow

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Depends on the state.

You can get a temporary license to drive the car home to register it, which is probably the easiest way to go.

If you state doesn't have any sort of emissions or inspection program then you can probably do it by mail, but you will have hassles. Usually you will have to have a cop verify the VIN and you will be dealing with all this via the mail.

Look and see if Iowa has a webpage on this.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Call your insurance company and they will give you temp insurance cards, or, if they are advanced enough, permanant ones. These are just a matter of walking in, setting up the policy on the car, and walking out with the papers.

The tag, you will probably need to visit a DMV of some sort to get the temp tag or permanant tag. To get the regular one, you will probably have to show proof of insurance first. To get an "I just bought it and I need to drive it home" tag, you may not need such a thing.

Another option, does the original owner still have the car on the road? If so, you could just drive it home with his tags and then bring them back to him. But, the fact you are asking this leads me to believe that he doesn't have tags.

One other thing to look at is when you register it, are they going to charge you sales tax? I know here in Louisiana and back in NY, if you bought a car out of state, or even in state and didn't pay sales tax, then you had to pay sales tax when you registered it. I am getting seriously hosed on this right now as I bought my Cobra in NY and then moved here. I paid 8.5% NY sales tax when I bought it. Now, when I register it, I need to pay 5% sales tax again...on the value that they claim the car is worth. Their book says 30k...so I get to pay a fun $1500 to register the car. Yippie.

I say, call a DMV and ask them what your options are...or find a web site for the Iowa DMV.
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Im just going to call my dad and see what he did with my brothers car. He bought that one down in south carolina and then drove it back to iowa the next day, so we'll see. I also thought about just putting my v6's tags on the cobra since its the exact same year and color lol... then if i get pulled over i show my insurance card that says white ford mustang with tags matching up and the cop probably wouldnt think twice about it. Then when I get home I could register the car with new tags, and put my sixxer tags back on it when I come back to kansas.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
Im just going to call my dad and see what he did with my brothers car. He bought that one down in south carolina and then drove it back to iowa the next day, so we'll see. I also thought about just putting my v6's tags on the cobra since its the exact same year and color lol... then if i get pulled over i show my insurance card that says white ford mustang with tags matching up and the cop probably wouldnt think twice about it. Then when I get home I could register the car with new tags, and put my sixxer tags back on it when I come back to kansas.
I was going to suggest that, but I didn't want to be the one giving you the idea.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
^unless he checks the vin number, in which case, you're in trouble

in that regard, you're probably safest in taking it to a bank and having the bank notorize the sale. then there's official record of it, and you have all the seller's info if something goes wrong. maybe you can actually get the bank to conduct the sale, as the middle man... but i couldn't guess one way or the other on that point...

as for registration, you might get hosed on sales tax, but then, last time i was in iowa, it was pretty low.. like 6.5% i think. i dunno if it's changed since then... i don't know if iowa has set up emissions testing in the year and half since i've been there. they didn't have it in 03... but call or visit kansas' DMV and provide them with details and ask how to go about this, be sure to ask if they can issue you iowa tags or if you need to drive home...

as for insurance, just call your agent and ask about additional coverage for the cobra. you can always cut the coverage on the v6 whenever you sell it

hope i was helpful
Old 04-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

p.s.- banks will notorize ANYTHING. lol, i had the reciept and invoice for my exhaust install notorized lol
Old 04-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
use ur V6 tags, and if you get pulled over then tell them (with your proof of sale) that u just got this car, ur driving home to buy plates in your state.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
all u need from him is the car and a bill of sale in his writing saying he sold you the car and for how much. goto ur insurance place with that stuff, get insurance then goto the dmv or if your lucky to have the little express places do that, took me 5min to get tags, sat for 15min or so with my insurance guy.

throw ur tags on it, if your driving like a normal person theres no need for you to get pulled over unless like a taillight or something is out.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
All you should need is proof of insurance and the bill of sale. most states will acknowledge the bill of sale as registration for 15 days past date of sale. some do 30
AlmostN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
here are things you can do. Before buying the car contact the insurance company and have them put the new car on the policy before you pick it up, all they need is the vin.
Go get the car you do have a grace period before changing the car title over. You can have your current tag switched over to the Cobra or just get a new tag. When you buy the car you will get the title if no title is provided do not buy it.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:57 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

yea like danger dude said, if theres no title then just walk away, also if theres a lean or anything on the title, walk away. you want it to be clean with nothing on it.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Old 04-26-2005, 01:01 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
2 weeks ago i got my car in my own name...similar situation cause my mom gave the car to me

first get the title make sure they're aren't any problems with it...also, if u write something wrong on it, u can't cross it out or white it out cause its a legal document

then go to the insurance company, get insurance on the car, then u have up to 2 weeks to get plates for the car (as far as i know in jersey) but i went to the dmv that day that i got the new insurance for my car and got my new plates

best if u start everything in the morning so that by the time u get ur insurance done, u have enough time to show up at the dmv the same day

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:10 PM   #14
Regular

Well first you give the person who has the car the money for it. Then you open the door, step in, sit down, turn the ignition, and drive it home.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

^lol, smart ***
Old 04-26-2005, 01:15 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
^lol, smart ***

uh huh lol

Modified 2004 V6
Old 04-26-2005, 01:27 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
^lol, smart ***
more like dumbass, he never mentioned the bill of sale, etc. so he just paid someone to drive there car
Old 04-26-2005, 05:03 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
in NJ you just have to let your insurance company know...

And you don't have to have tags or anything just title and proof of purchase to drive it home.. I think you have 24 hours to do it?

Don't quote me on anything at all though
Old 04-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
here are things you can do. Before buying the car contact the insurance company and have them put the new car on the policy before you pick it up, all they need is the vin.
Go get the car you do have a grace period before changing the car title over. You can have your current tag switched over to the Cobra or just get a new tag. When you buy the car you will get the title if no title is provided do not buy it.
Forgot about the whole Bill of Sale. Thats pretty damn important thats the waiver that tells ownership has changed hands. So if you havent picked up a bill of sale at the dmv do so. Then do everything of the above.

Good Luck
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:21 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

he doesnt get the bill of sale from the dmv...just needs the guy to write one.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:55 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
in NJ you just have to let your insurance company know...

And you don't have to have tags or anything just title and proof of purchase to drive it home.. I think you have 24 hours to do it?

Don't quote me on anything at all though

u get 2 weeks...cause i just got mine done

Modified 2004 V6

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar