Campus Police power - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Campus Police power

I'm just kinda being curious if anyone can answer my question here...I'm trying to figure out what kind of power the campus police over here have off of campus. Reason I'm asking is this is the 3rd time I have been followed from campus to nearly my apartment by a campus police officer for no reason. Today, I stopped at a stop sign across from one, had my blinker on, no loud music etc etc. I turned left to leave campus (about a 1/2 mile to leave campus) well he turns in behind me. I ran the madated 20 mph speed limit on this wide open straight road with noone around. He follows me nearly on my bumper. I then turn off of campus at a red light and he keeps following. I ran the speed limit on this road as well. Well he continued following me nearly all the way to my aparment, about 5 minutes. I'm just wondering if he could have done anything to me had I left him once I left campus or anything. I used my blinkers at every turn, etc etc. Just kinda pisses me off. I get enough from the city police following me, but now the campus police are following suit. I've never been pulled over in town by anyone, never done anything in town to be pulled over for. Just being curious I guess. O yeh, the campus is a land grant state funded institution if that makes a difference.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
I know back in NY they had no more power than mall security. In fact, they could only write you for things that had to do with campus rules. Any other infractions had to be take care of by real cops. Outside of campus, they were no different than anyone else.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
is it a actual crown vic police car theyre using? if not id just flip them off and high tail it out of there.

i work at a mall, and our security has jeep liberties. a couple years ago i had the undercar lights on and they came after me(the mall had closed, it was empty) so i took them on a wild goose chase around planter boxes and through the lot till they gave up.

back in hs i was caught doing a donut in my old mustang(74 II) the janitors ratted me out, they pulled me out of class and took me to the schools active duty officer( a real cop placed in the school to look good) and he was saying he was gonna suspend my license this and that. i told him he can suck off cause he has no real power, the school is private property and the school officials would be the only ones in power to deal with it. they gave me a day inschool suspension, cool, i got out of class and got to hang out with the cool people. man i miss high school.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
probably the worst he could do is radio the real police.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ha...it is a crown vic, I found out they are the same as state troopers.
Our's:
Old 04-26-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Ha...it is a crown vic, I found out they are the same as state troopers.
You mean the car or the security officers?

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to chips
i'm pretty sure they have just as much power as SAPD here at UTSA. but i don't know how much power they have off campus...
Old 04-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #8
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
our campus cops work in conjunction with the lawrence PD and either one can go to a call on either campus, or around lawrence. Theyre real cops here at KU and will arrest you if youre doing illegal things.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
our campus cops work in conjunction with the lawrence PD and either one can go to a call on either campus, or around lawrence. Theyre real cops here at KU and will arrest you if youre doing illegal things.
Same way with AU campus police, since AU is pretty much the town, AUPD runs the campus as well.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips
i'm pretty sure they have just as much power as SAPD here at UTSA. but i don't know how much power they have off campus...

Campus cops in Texas are classified as Highway Patrolmen. They have statewide jurisdiction.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to NJStang86
At Penn State (or atleast the campus I'll be attending) they are real police officers that are assigned to the campus itself...They have plenty of right to throw you in the back of the squad car if you're doing something wrong.
NJStang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to mustang22 Send a message via Yahoo to mustang22
i dont think they actually do anything but they can see you break the law and call a city officer to do something about it, they were prob following you to intimidate you.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:26 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
Iowa State DPS officers can pull you over and give you tickets off campus even.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
@ my Girl friends school, the police are the same as city police. in Indiana, all "police" school, town, city, county...." all are "state police" they have police power in the whole state.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Around here "campus" police are state troopers so they can get you anywhere
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:39 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
In most southern states campus police are the same as state police and Troopers. They have the whole state as jurisdiction.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:23 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

You could do what I did last time one shadowed me. I pulled into a parking lot and then flagged him down he pulled up and I asked him flat out why he was following me. He came up with some lame excuse about seeing if I would speed. I then explained to him if he followed me any more I would call his supervisor and file a harrassment charge as I now had his name and badge number. He sat there kinda dumbfounded but did not follow me out of the lot.
AlmostN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:45 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I was followed once.... so I just took this big like circle around campus..... over and over and over again. I never left campus... and I'm sure that cop wondered what in the hell I was doing. My music was up, but my subs were off... so nothing over sound ordinance. No illegal stuff. He followed me for maybe 20-25 minutes. Or what equals about 7 trips around campus

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:29 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostN8
You could do what I did last time one shadowed me. I pulled into a parking lot and then flagged him down he pulled up and I asked him flat out why he was following me. He came up with some lame excuse about seeing if I would speed. I then explained to him if he followed me any more I would call his supervisor and file a harrassment charge as I now had his name and badge number. He sat there kinda dumbfounded but did not follow me out of the lot.
haha That's actually prob one of the funniest things Ive read all week.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I dunno if its true in every state but if an officer follows you for over a mile he cant pull you over. And if he does theres your loophole :yup: thats in CT anyways
Old 04-27-2005, 10:58 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
I dunno if its true in every state but if an officer follows you for over a mile he cant pull you over. And if he does theres your loophole :yup: thats in CT anyways
A mile is not **** if you are folowing a probable felon or fugitive or a probable DUI. On a interstate at 75mph a mile goes by every less than a minute so I will say I think you are mistaken. Even at 45mph a mile goes by in just over a minute. That is not enough time to make a stop
Old 04-27-2005, 11:17 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
A mile is not **** if you are folowing a probable felon or fugitive or a probable DUI. On a interstate at 75mph a mile goes by every less than a minute so I will say I think you are mistaken. Even at 45mph a mile goes by in just over a minute. That is not enough time to make a stop
Im not talking interstate. Im talking regular city streets. a mile is enough time for a cop to determined whether your doing something wrong or not. Thats how its done up here. Thats what the my friend dad told me and hes a cop like I said it cant be true for every state
Old 04-27-2005, 11:23 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
Im not talking interstate. Im talking regular city streets. a mile is enough time for a cop to determined whether your doing something wrong or not. Thats how its done up here. Thats what the my friend dad told me and hes a cop like I said it cant be true for every state
So you are saying in less than 2 min which is 30 miles an hour a cop can make a clear decision on stopping someone. Now I know why they pull you over all the time. Instead of monitoring a situation they just stop eveyone at a moments notice. Wow that is jumping the gun.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #24
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
I know a cop followed me in the city for a while so I headed to the neighbor city to get out of our cities jurisdiction... wel the guy pulled me over anyway even when I was in the other city, and wrote on the ticket that he pulled me over in my city, on a completely different road then what i was on. He got me for "not having a front plate" then nabbed on a tint ticket. Needless to say I got them dropped since he was out of his jurisdiction.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you are saying in less than 2 min which is 30 miles an hour a cop can make a clear decision on stopping someone. Now I know why they pull you over all the time. Instead of monitoring a situation they just stop eveyone at a moments notice. Wow that is jumping the gun.
Yep pretty much. On monday id have to say the cop stayed behind me for a good min before the lights came on. Its just enough time to pull your info up on their laptop. Its ghey. Plus they see my record and **** and they see weed so they also instantly ask me if I have any and if I smoked any right after they ask me for my drivers lisc. and reg.

its ghey at times. :yup:
Old 04-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

That is crazy from the time he spots a suspicious car and calls it in and gets a response from dispatch or NCIC it can be more than a a few minutes. Also I have found no such provision in Connecticut driving laws.

http://www.statedrivinglaw.com/conne...iving-law.html
Old 04-27-2005, 01:13 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

I would just keep circling campus...but that gas gets expensive...lol. I should of turned into a few random places to see if he followed, O well, thanks for the responses.
Our's:
Old 04-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is crazy from the time he spots a suspicious car and calls it in and gets a response from dispatch or NCIC it can be more than a a few minutes. Also I have found no such provision in Connecticut driving laws.

http://www.statedrivinglaw.com/conne...iving-law.html
hey i just go by what im told. Hes been on the force for over 30 years so Ill just take his word for it plus hes gotten me out of a few tickets before

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar