Oh Lookie I ended up being Right - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Oh Lookie I ended up being Right

Remeber maybe a month or so ago we were having the whole abortion debate whether or not a teen has any rights to have an abortion and whatever what not well guess what, a judge in FL ruled that a 13 year old is mentally capable to decide to have an abortion or not.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,155326,00.html

Quote:
Fla. Judge OKs Abortion for Girl, 13
Tuesday, May 03, 2005

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. A judge ruled that a 13-year-old girl at the center of an abortion fight with the state may terminate her pregnancy, and Gov. Jeb Bush (search) said Tuesday that the state will not appeal further.

Juvenile Judge Ronald Alvarez (search) ruled Monday that the teen, who has been in state custody for four years, would not be physically or emotionally harmed by the procedure. Last week, Alvarez blocked the girl's abortion until a psychological evaluation was completed.

"He ruled that she is competent, that she has made a decision and that she has a right to act on that decision," said Howard Simon, executive director of the Florida American Civil Liberties Union, which represented the girl.

Lawyers for the girl, who is 14 weeks pregnant and known only as L.G. in court papers, would not say if she had the abortion after the judge allowed her to do so Monday. But attorney James Green said Tuesday that "the case is over."

State Department of Children & Families (search) spokeswoman Marilyn Munoz said the agency would "respectfully comply with the court's decision." She declined to provide further details.

"We are working for the best interest of the young girl," Munoz said.

The teen became pregnant after running away from the DCF shelter where she lives.

"It's a tragedy that a 13-year-old girl would be in a vulnerable position where she could be made pregnant and it's a tragedy that her baby will be lost," Bush said in Tallahassee.

The department had argued that the girl was too young and immature to decide for herself to have an abortion. The agency said state law prohibited the agency from consenting to the procedure.

The girl told the judge last week as part of the psychological evaluation process that she wanted an abortion, citing her age and no way to support a baby. The girl's ACLU (search) attorneys argued that Florida law protects a minor's right to choose an abortion.

A measure is moving through the state Legislature to require notification of parents or guardians when girls seek abortion. In 2003, the Florida Supreme Court struck down a 1999 law requiring parents to be notified if their minor daughters seek an abortion.
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
haha what a slut
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
haha what a slut
+1

i think that a 13 yr old is mentally capable of making this decision, however, i also think that she will regret it later on.
but this is just my opinion b/c i am against abortion.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Eh maybe she will maybe she wont. Cant honestly say cause shes prolly not all there to begin with ya know.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
Eh maybe she will maybe she wont. Cant honestly say cause shes prolly not all there to begin with ya know.
yeah, thats true. i think she will regret it only if she really thinks of the severity of the situation. its all in the mind set of this young lady.
if she thinks that it happens all the time and its no big deal, then she probably wont. if she realizes that she has taken away a life, then she might come to regret it.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Eh dont take this the wrong way or in any disrespect but only people who are pro-life/religious people would take what you said into heart (meaning the day she realizes she took a life)

I personally know some girls who have had abortion and their mentally afterwards they were sorrowful because you know the obvious, but after a few days they were back to normal.

But again every girl prolly reacts to this in a very differ ways
Old 05-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

you know that feeling you had when you left Highschool and you had this load of responsibilities? It was scary, but it was nice to be free? She's 13, and if she decided she was going to have sex at that early of an age without protection... then she ****ed up and shouldn't let her have anymore decisions.

Why is it that everything that comes outta Florida has been so.......

Whatever, that's my opinion on it, if you disagree go get hit by a lawn-mower.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

we all **** up at some point should we all be followed around for all the mistakes we do for the rest of our lives.

Because if thats the route your thinking, think of every ****ed up thing youve done that has effected others. Do you think those mistakes should follow you every where for the rest of YOUR life?

This is the reason why our society now a days suck. We want people to take their mistakes and keep them and deal with it. That shouldnt be our thinking how is a 13 year old gonna take care of a baby. Theres not even good enough programs out there to even help out this girl or even others if they did keep it. I rather have a society of choices and not a society of future failure
Old 05-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

my stand on abortion http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=regressive
Old 05-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
killing babies = bad. if she wasn't prepared to have a kid, she shouldn't have spread her legs.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:01 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
interesting...its legal for a 13 year old to have an abortion, but illegal for me to do anything with a 16 year old...very interesting
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64
killing babies = bad. if she wasn't prepared to have a kid, she shouldn't have spread her legs.
So im presuming everyone thats saying that if a chick isnt ready to have a kid she shouldnt spread her legs so okay.

Im presuming all you nay-sayers are all virgins cause im presuming most of you arent prepared yourself to have kids so that means you cant take your shlong out either.

And remember condoms/pills arent 100% preventable for those that say she could have had the guy wear protection. remember **** happens
Old 05-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
interesting...its legal for a 13 year old to have an abortion, but illegal for me to do anything with a 16 year old...very interesting
Under FL law yes. Im also presuming FL law has a low consenting age too though for all that to work
Old 05-04-2005, 06:15 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Im presuming all you nay-sayers are all virgins cause im presuming most of you arent prepared yourself to have kids so that means you cant take your shlong out either.
and also, i can garentee that you guys havnt had a pregnancy scare in your lives, when you have that scare, your opinions will change, especially when youre in a position where youre jobless, in high school, and living with your parents, and your girlfriend is the same
Old 05-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
and also, i can garentee that you guys havnt had a pregnancy scare in your lives, when you have that scare, your opinions will change, especially when youre in a position where youre jobless, in high school, and living with your parents, and your girlfriend is the same
i had one of those
Old 05-04-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
we all **** up at some point should we all be followed around for all the mistakes we do for the rest of our lives.

Because if thats the route your thinking, think of every ****ed up thing youve done that has effected others. Do you think those mistakes should follow you every where for the rest of YOUR life?

This is the reason why our society now a days suck. We want people to take their mistakes and keep them and deal with it. That shouldnt be our thinking how is a 13 year old gonna take care of a baby. Theres not even good enough programs out there to even help out this girl or even others if they did keep it. I rather have a society of choices and not a society of future failure
So are you going to go get hit by a lawn-mower now?

If I don't follow those mistakes for the rest of my life, I'm bound to **** up again in the future so I best don't make those same mistakes.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So, instead of a 13 yo paying for her mistake for the rest of her life the baby gets to pay with it's life?

Interesting logic, not.

If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
So, instead of a 13 yo paying for her mistake for the rest of her life the baby gets to pay with it's life?

Interesting logic, not.

Steve

Old 05-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i totally agree with you on the point that we have all messed up at some point or another and we can chaulk up some mistakes in the "**** happens" category. however, there are instances where SOME mistakes will follow you and you will wish that it never happened.

i dont think that every single time you mess up that it should follow you for the rest of your life b/c there are some actions that can be taken to correct some mistakes made in life.

i would have rather seen this girl put the child up for adoption though. there are many families that cant have kids that would love to adopt. she doesnt have a child with this alternative and the child still lives. the only catch is that this girl has to carry the child.

to me, this is a much better alternative to abortion, but to each his own.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #20
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Remeber maybe a month or so ago we were having the whole abortion debate whether or not a teen has any rights to have an abortion and whatever what not well guess what, a judge in FL ruled that a 13 year old is mentally capable to decide to have an abortion or not.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,155326,00.html
Uh and that makes it right , just because some judge says she is 2:

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #21
Regular

Quote:

Interesting logic, not.

Steve

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
She knew it coulda happened, she should have to put up with it. Everyone who has sex takes the chance, and knows it there, so period. Why kill a life just to make up for her mistake.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Interesting logic, not.

Steve
Although i feel that abortion is a last resort, and shouldn't be taken lightly. I dont agree with this comment. Depending on how pregnant she is, the fetus is not really a child yet, and is not capable of thinking. Therefore when it is that young I dont consider it being a child capable of feelings. When young people get pregnant i agree with having an abortion because look at the quality of life the child would have if it was born. The kid would have two teenage parents, incapable of supporting themselves, and chances are they wouldn't be able to attend college. So the parents would barely have a high school education and would be expected to get jobs that would support a family....chances are thats not very possible. The child wouldn't have nice things, and would have to fight for a scholarship to make their life better than the parents. I know that isn't true in all cases, but generally speaking it is. One must realize that a fetus that young doesnt have any thought process, and depending on how far along in the pregnancy the mother is, can hardly be called more than a group of cells the size of your thumb or smaller. Once a fetus gets farther along in the pregnancy and actually can be considered close to "living" then I dont think you should be able to have an abortion.

After saying this, I dont want to step on anyones toes who dont beleive in pregnancy. Everyone has a right to think what they want, this is just my two cents.
The Arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arson
Although i feel that abortion is a last resort, and shouldn't be taken lightly. I dont agree with this comment. Depending on how pregnant she is, the fetus is not really a child yet, and is not capable of thinking.

There are a lot of people who are incapable of thinking that lead lives. Most of them are pro-abortion.

You are falling for the argument that a child in the womb is nothing more than a mass of tissue, like a tumor.

Let's slice the logic.

Can we all agree that after a child is born it is alive?

Can we all agree that before conception there is no life?

I don't think there is anyone sane that disagrees with the above two statements.

The disgareement is when is there life?

Before conception, no life. The argument is when after conception is there life.

What is different between those two points in question?

Conception is what is different and that is when life starts. Any other argument is nothing more than sophistry and a salve to attempt to heal one's mental wounds from killing a child.

Sad thing is that regardless of how the mother got pregnant the only truely innocent person in this whole sad scenario is the one that has to die for it.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:31 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

"shes only a little bit pregnant"
Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sad thing is that regardless of how the mother got pregnant the only truely innocent person in this whole sad scenario is the one that has to die for it.

Steve
Yes but does it actually die when it has never technically lived? I do agree that the line of conception and life is very thin, and i dont know where it is, but i do think that when the quality of life of the child would be effected for the worse, abortion may be necessary. I do agree that when the child is older and more towards actual life....abortion shouldn't be done.

Quote:
There are a lot of people who are incapable of thinking that lead lives. Most of them are pro-abortion.
That is just an unnecessary cut at people who have an opinion that varies from yours. I dont disagree with people's decision to be pro-life...and ask that you dont insult the intelligence of people who have a different opinion than yours.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:39 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Yes but does it actually die when it has never technically lived? I do agree that the line of conception and life is very thin, and i dont know where it is, but i do think that when the quality of life of the child would be effected for the worse, abortion may be necessary. I do agree that when the child is older and more towards actual life....abortion shouldn't be done.

That is just an unnecessary cut at people who have an opinion that varies from yours. I dont disagree with people's decision to be pro-life...and ask that you dont insult the intelligence of people who have a different opinion than yours.
Where do you draw the line on the child being "older and more towards actual life"? Any time conception takes place, there is a life there. To kill that baby is to take a life from this world, plain and simple.
Our's:
Old 05-04-2005, 08:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Where do you draw the line on the child being "older and more towards actual life"? .
Thats a difficult question to answer, and exactly why there are two groups (pro-life and pro-choice) I dont feel that you are wrong for your views, mine just differ.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
Quote:

Interesting logic, not.

Steve
^maybe she was raped. the article doesn't specify one way or another, but it's a possibility
Old 05-04-2005, 08:44 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No cut at their intelligence, just their lack of follow thru in reasoning.

The only difference between no life and life in the womb is conception. Everything else is just growing and developing. Physically I am not the same person I was at 18, much less at conception. I didn't reach 6' tall till I turned 21. Now I got hair growing out of places it never grew before, lol.

At what point does the pro-abortion crowd think life occurs? I know some of the more militant ones think it's alive only after birth. What if they decide it's only when you turn 18 and a judge agrees and you piss your momma off?

Think about it, use logic not emotion.

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
^maybe she was raped. the article doesn't specify one way or another, but it's a possibility
I will grant that there are three limited instances where I can understand an abortion, rape, incest and an endangerment to the life of the mother (not the health or "sanity").

Steve

Quote:
Holy crap he's right.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

I just can't believe our society is coming to a point where abortions are an every day basis. Stuff like this leads to the ultimate downfall of a civilization. So does the whole gay rights debate. Look at all the great empires, look what the circumstances were when the downfall came. We're heading that direction, and it's not looking good.
If I was to ever find out my daughter had an abortion when she's 13 without me knowing, I'm gonna be one pissed off guy.
Our's:
Old 05-04-2005, 08:56 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I will grant that there are three limited instances where I can understand an abortion, rape, incest and an endangerment to the life of the mother (not the health or "sanity").

Steve
or possibly when the mother knows the child will be born with a disease and live a short and pitiful existance. this happened to my grandmother, lost 2 sons to a rare disease before they turned 20, got pregnant and had a test run and the baby would be born with the disease so she had an abortion b/c she couldn't go through it a 3rd time.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #34
Road Trip!

i have a question for you all

who gives a ****?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i have a question for you all

who gives a ****?
i do b/c i care about what goes on in our society and certian issues of society.

i can see why some dont care or dont wanna talk about this issue anymore b/c it has been debated over and under and some are just fed up with this whole issue.

the people that firmly feel its a womans right to choose are gonna stay that way and the people that firmly feel that abortion is wrong are gonna stay that way. the problem is there is no happy medium for this issue. pro-choice people say that since the fetus relies on the mother to survive, then it technically doesnt live, and therefore, aborting it is justified b/c it cant survive on its own. but the pro-life people will argue that it has a beating heart, which as we all know signifies life.

so you're either gonna piss off this group or that group.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar