my car is at the Ford dealership... - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
our dealership is KNOWN for ripping people off... but I didn't have another choice

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
You overreacted to the problem!!! Driving to the house and using your fingers in the Yellow pages would have netted you a place that could have checked the rear and lubed it for less that $60. Almost nothing was that pressin gto waste the money they are going to charge you especially when they give you a bill for over 200 and all they did was give you a 49.99 lube but instead you will be getting the super douper rear end lube alright. HAHAHHAHAHHA
Old 05-13-2005, 11:41 AM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
You overreacted to the problem!!! Driving to the house and using your fingers in the Yellow pages would have netted you a place that could have checked the rear and lubed it for less that $60. Almost nothing was that pressin gto waste the money they are going to charge you especially when they give you a bill for over 200 and all they did was give you a 49.99 lube but instead you will be getting the super douper rear end lube alright. HAHAHHAHAHHA
if I had driven home, I probably wouldn't have had a rear end left by the time I got there... I was an hour away from home, and that's if you're driving 70. The town is sort of small.... and no one I talked to when I stopped was sure if anyone else in town would do it.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Wrongo Bucko!! Remember I have been a mechanic for over 22 years. Things dont go bad that quick. All you did was here a whine!!!! Unless all your lube was gone it wont just fail. Think about it!!! Did you see lube leaking out of the rear end or smell the pungent odor of gear lube. It smells bad and if you were burning up something it would smell bad. No you overreacted. I had a friend I got in his car one day and smelled really funky burning smell. I leaned over the front seat to see a burn mark in the carpet. I told him the rear end probably needed lubing. He said "What is that" HAHAHHA. He stopped and we went to the back of the car and the rearend was to hot to touch. He took me home and said he would get it looked at right away. well 2 weeks later at almost 12 midnight he called me to come get him. He had not fixed it and it seized at 75mph on the highway. The carpet had ligh on fire and he said after the car slid to a stop he looked back and the rearend was glowing.

So the point of the story is it took weeks to fail. You had plenty of time to find a place to do it and not ream you.

Whining could be anything but not a emergency that requires you to waste money. Now if you were traveling across miles of desert and it started acting up and the only place for miles was a dealer that would be different.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #40
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Wrongo Bucko!! Remember I have been a mechanic for over 22 years. Things dont go bad that quick. All you did was here a whine!!!! Unless all your lube was gone it wont just fail. Think about it!!! Did you see lube leaking out of the rear end or smell the pungent order of gear lube. It smells bad and if you were burning up something it would smell bad. No you overreacted. I had a friend I got in his car one day and smelled really funky burning smell. I leaned over the front seat to see a burn mark in the carpet. I told him the rear end probably needed lubing. He said "What is that" HAHAHHA. He stopped and we went to the back of the car and the rearend was to hot to touch. He took me home and said he would get it looked at right away. well 2 weeks later at almost 12 midnight he called me to come get him. He had not fixed it and it seized at 75mph on the highway. The carpet had ligh on fire and he said after the car slid to a stop he looked back and the rearend was glowing.

So the point of the story is it took weeks to fail. You had plenty of time to find a place to do it and not ream you.

Whining could be anything but not a emergency that requires you to waste money. Now if you were traveling across miles of desert and it started acting up and the only place for miles was a dealer that would be different.
did you read all of the posts? I think I said I could smell an odor.. pretty strong, when I stopped. My mom also smelled it awhile ago. I said the whinning turned to a very ugly noise. Not a whine at all... like a grinding. In fact, when the grinding was being heard, the whinning went away.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:55 AM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

I didn't think to hop out and touch the rear end.... I was sickened by the noise of it... and I do A LOT of driving. So I had to get it fixed. I start work in like 5 days, which is an hour trip each way. The gf lives almost 5 hours one way away, and I drive that twice a month... in fact, I was supposed to be driving there RIGHT NOW, but my car is getting fixed. I don't think driving around at 70 mph for 5 hours straight would sit well with my rear end.... now, does that make a little more sense why I jumped and let them do it?

Old 05-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
did you read all of the posts? I think I said I could smell an odor.. pretty strong, when I stopped. My mom also smelled it awhile ago. I said the whinning turned to a very ugly noise. Not a whine at all... like a grinding. In fact, when the grinding was being heard, the whinning went away.
What is a while ago???? How long had it been whining.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy

VERDICT IS IN
I just called him... looks like I'm ****ed

Old 05-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

he said when I slide into the ditch, the exhaust slide over and hit some cover off, which allowed all the fluid to escape (funny, I never saw anything in the snow.. or in the driveway...)... and basically, my entire rear axle is junk, all tore up and everything... He said $1200 to fix it. I said "I'll take my car and fix it myself with a rear axle from a junk yard."... so I need help finding a new rear axle.. also, this 'cover' he was talking about. Should I just invest in a GT rear? **** this makes me mad. He said the first thing I have to do is get my exhaust fixed... which I was going to do soon. So maybe I'll get my new bumper on and painted, then, take it to the muffler shop, and have them fix my exhaust, and then fix my axle. God damn it and SOB.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

Time to get a 8.8 and gears and prevent further raping
Old 05-13-2005, 12:06 PM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy

[QUOTE=jimmy_beaner]he said when I slide into the ditch, the exhaust slide over and hit some cover off, which allowed all the fluid to escape (funny, I never saw anything in the snow.. or in the driveway...)... and basically, my entire rear axle is junk, all tore up and everything... He said $1200 to fix it. I said "I'll take my car and fix it myself with a rear axle from a junk yard."... so I need help finding a new rear axle.. also, this 'cover' he was talking about. QUOTE]

The cover comes on the rearend you will buy!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:14 PM   #47
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
defanitely get a better gear ratio

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

better gear ratio = buying speedo.... = mo money being spent (money I haven't even MADE yet)... I already had $2500 spent... then, whatever it takes to fix my exhaust... and whatever it costs to repaint my new rear bumper.... and whatever it costs for new tires..... BY GOD

Old 05-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #49
Legacy Member
Legacy

I feel like crying... anyone wanna hold me?

Old 05-13-2005, 12:58 PM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh, and see Corey... maybe it's a good thing I DIDN'T drive it home... or around town to get it looked at. (and it did just suddenly turn ugly..)

Old 05-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy

well, turns out my friend that bought the Roush, just bought GT to be a doner car to his Roush... and it has a good rear end in it.... it has stock gearing, but it is an option, and I don't have to pay for shipping. Here's the bad news.. he said $800. I told him it wasn't worth that.. and that I would give him $500 for it... he said he'll list it on eBay for $800. Yeah, I was mad at him too.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #52
Legacy Member
Legacy

Dude like I said it would not have left you stranded. You had a while but you were in a panic. Thing is you did not take proper care of your car. I wash my car every week and when I do I always get on my back and look under my car as well as look for dripping fluid . I change my rearend lube every 18 months. I also dont drive around with the stereo at warp 10 all the time so I can hear my car. I constantly keep in tune to what my car is doing. Remember $40 for a lube place to change your rear end lube is a bargain compared to replacing a rearend
Old 05-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #53
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
well, turns out my friend that bought the Roush, just bought GT to be a doner car to his Roush... and it has a good rear end in it.... it has stock gearing, but it is an option, and I don't have to pay for shipping. Here's the bad news.. he said $800. I told him it wasn't worth that.. and that I would give him $500 for it... he said he'll list it on eBay for $800. Yeah, I was mad at him too.
Tell him he should do it. Right now there is a brand new Mosler rearend for sale with brand new axles for less than $700

Your friend is *** BY GOD
Old 05-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #54
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Dude like I said it would not have left you stranded. You had a while but you were in a panic. Thing is you did not take proper care of your car. I wash my car every week and when I do I always get on my back and look under my car as well as look for dripping fluid . I change my rearend lube every 18 months. I also dont drive around with the stereo at warp 10 all the time so I can hear my car. I constantly keep in tune to what my car is doing. Remember $40 for a lube place to change your rear end lube is a bargain compared to replacing a rearend
you haven't really listened. I slide off the road like 2 or 3 months ago. Thus, your 18 month statement isn't valid. I don't drive with my stereo at warp 10, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the 'faint whinning'. Also, I just told you, I didn't notice dripping. I park in the same spot every day, and there is no dripping on the ground. The guy at the dealership said it's moved very slightly. Obviously, it took almost 3 months for the fluid to drip out.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #55
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Tell him he should do it. Right now there is a brand new Mosler rearend for sale with brand new axles for less than $700

Your friend is *** BY GOD
that's what I told him too.... very interesting, I don't know anything about rear ends.... I'm assuming Mosler is really good? Also, I'm gonna need a lot of help doing this swap. My mom said she would help me get my car back to running so I can go to work, and I can pay her back

Old 05-13-2005, 01:14 PM   #56
Legacy Member
Legacy

just because I'm 20 doesn't mean I'm like most 20 year olds.. pedal to the floor everywhere with pounding subs and no respect. I drive very sensibly most of the time. I have my moments where I like to floor it, who doesn't... I also have my moments where I like to hear my subs at full volume, but this isn't most of the time. I usually just like having them on because they give the radio an awesome sound at low volume. Like a full sound. Don't judge so fast Corey.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #57
Legacy Member
Legacy

You did not bother to check under your car regularly. Monday I put my car up on jacks in the rear just to inspect my suspension stuff. Especially after a wrech you should be checking stuff. Preventative maintenance is cheap especially if it is just checking stuff. You said your mother had msmelled a ordor for a whilke and you had whining before grinding. This was all avoidable. But lessons are somethimes learned. You learned a big one today.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:17 PM   #58
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, a faint odor about 3 days ago to maybe 2 weeks at max. I thought maybe it was from the oil change I had just done.... being as I know for sure I spilled some oil on the engine... and then I drove it to town to the bank, and came back.... I'm sure that oil made an odor too....

Old 05-13-2005, 01:18 PM   #59
Legacy Member
Legacy

Not judging I am making a statement that owning a car is more than driving, oil change, rotatiing the tires and filling it with gas. That is why the manual and shops tell you to go get a regular check up at least yearly and especially after you slid off the road. All of this was avoidable
Old 05-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #60
Legacy Member
Legacy

I check my car monthly
I check oil every time I put in gas, and I check air pressure in tires every time I put in gas. I do what I know how to do Corey. It's not my fault if I don't know what to look for. I thought maybe the rear end was burning some lube up because it has an odor, but it couldn't be that much if it was that faint.... which is why I was going to have the lube put in after I got my first pay check from work.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #61
Legacy Member
Legacy

here is the ebay ad for the rearend this place will also put your choice of gears in

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V
Old 05-13-2005, 01:21 PM   #62
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Not judging I am making a statement that owning a car is more than driving, oil change, rotatiing the tires and filling it with gas. That is why the manual and shops tell you to go get a regular check up at least yearly and especially after you slid off the road. All of this was avoidable
I did check it over after I slide off the road. I had to strap the exhaust tubing up off the ground. I checked it as completely as I knew how. As I have said several times... the dealership said there was a SMALL gap between the cover and the differential. Small enough it took several MONTHS for the stuff to drain out. I looked under the car, and saw everything look about like it should, other than the exhaust. Maybe I should take a picture to show you, and see if you can see it.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #63
Legacy Member
Legacy

If lube was leaking out it was while moving if the gap is more than 2/3 up the side of the cover. The tell tale sign is not drippage as much as dark dirty are on the cover and housing. road grime will cover up slick area quickly so you are looking more for grimey sludgy build up.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #64
Legacy Member
Legacy

first you make fun of me for not doing a good enough job of maintenance, and then you make fun of me for reacting too quickly to what happened. I think it should be pretty easy to see that I took every measure I KNEW to. Therefore, it wasn't avoidable... I did what I thought was right

Old 05-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #65
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm new to this car thing. I have learned A LOT, but am still wanting to learn more. Telling me "it was avoidable" isn't the way to go. I didn't mean to make you sound mean in my last post... just that, keep in mind I'm new to this. I want to be able to fix stuff myself. I can save a lot of money doing that, and make sure it's right. Neither of my parents is automotively inclined... so I have to learn this almost purely from forums.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #66
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm hoping this forum will really come through and help me swap rear ends. I know there are a lot of smart people in here, and I truly believe this is the best forum group around. I wouldn't have taken this task on if I weren't part of this forum. I would've just taken it in the *** and had the dealership do it. You guys don't know how much I appreciate all of your input and advice.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #67
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
first you make fun of me for not doing a good enough job of maintenance, and then you make fun of me for reacting too quickly to what happened. I think it should be pretty easy to see that I took every measure I KNEW to. Therefore, it wasn't avoidable... I did what I thought was right
Remember I am a quality engineer, everything is avoidable. Just because it was above your knowledge does not actually mean a thing. You said it was smelling for a while and it was whining. you waited till it was grinding. It was avoidable.

Now saying that I will back down and give you a break. Most people dont know squat about there cars. That is why there are repair shops. almost all types of failures are either factory defects, owners lack of taking care of something before complete failure or poor auto repair technicans, which are everywhere.

I am sorry your car needs repair. If I lived close I would install it for you or help you install it.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #68
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Remember I am a quality engineer, everything is avoidable. Just because it was above your knowledge does not actually mean a thing. You said it was smelling for a while and it was whining. you waited till it was grinding. It was avoidable.

Now saying that I will back down and give you a break. Most people dont know squat about there cars. That is why there are repair shops. almost all types of failures are either factory defects, owners lack of taking care of something before complete failure or poor auto repair technicans, which are everywhere.

I am sorry your car needs repair. If I lived close I would install it for you or help you install it.
I know you're a quality engineer, that's why I look to you for advice Corey. The whinning was so faint, MANY people couldn't hear it. I asked people if they could, and they couldn't. The smell wasn't like "wow, what's that smell"... it was like if you had sprayed perfume outside about 40 feet away, just enough to notice... again, started about the time of the oil change... so I didn't think anything of it. I oil changed it a week or so ago is all... so the odor wasn't anything that's been there for awhile

Old 05-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #69
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh no, this is going to suck.... my exhaust goes UNDER the axles. I will probably have to cut the exhaust to get to the axles. Oh well, I have to get new exhaust anyway... maybe they can reweld the exhaust I cut back on... I wish I had a large lift... instead of just jack stands

Old 05-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #70
Legacy Member
Legacy

ok, so I think this is what I'm going to do. I will get the new GT bumper in next week probably. I will go ahead and get that painted. I am hoping to get in the new rear end a couple days or a week after that. I will get a pipe cutter and cut away the exhaust by the rear end, so I have plenty of room to work... I have to get new exhaust anyway. Then, once the new rear end is in... take a weekend off work. Jack it up on jack stands, and secure it.. and remove the old rear end. I will have already removed the wheels at this point. Then, I will get the new rear end, and swap it in place, and put wheels back on. Right after this, bolt up the new GT bumper.. leave the exhaust how it is until the muffler shop has an opening.. it's just exhaust. Then, turn focus to new tires... maybe new rims and tires... if I can get good looking rims and tires for just a couple hundred more than just tires, why not... and I can sell my old ones. Is this a feasible plan? By the way, I've already got $3700 spent without it even being made yet.... and that doesn't include radiator flush or gas filter or any thing else I might want to do to my car.... just required stuff and my Coe Loan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar