my car is at the Ford dealership... - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #71
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
I wish I had a large lift... instead of just jack stands
dont we all? (those who dont have lifts anyway ) fighting with my starter then speedo cable, and exhaust to name a few...on jack stands sucks
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #72
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I tried to put dual exhaust on my car with it on just jack stands..... that's when I realized how fat I really am... of course my almost annorexic buddy had problems getting under it too... I stopped at having the exhaust after the cats removed, and took it to a muffler shop... at least the rear end of the car is REACHABLE

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #73
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
if I had more money, I would take this time, and opportunity to lower my car as well.... but I don't think I have the money... or the enthusiasm to do it

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 02:09 PM   #74
Legacy Member
Legacy

I don't know, maybe I could lower the rear of my car 1/2" to 1" and then after I work this summer, lower the front too.... but I really don't want to spend the money.... but I really don't want to take the car apart again to lower it... whatever happened to the Cobra fund!!!!

Old 05-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #75
Legacy Member
Legacy

people, cry with me here

Old 05-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #76
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh yeah, good call on my part, the gf is NOT happy about it... but realizes there's nothing I can do to get over there... so I guess it's ok

Old 05-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you really need to pay more attention to your car... if you was missing all or part of the diff cover lol when you change your oil look under there all over really good.

go go www.speedconcepts.net and buy an 8.8 complete minus axles (just re use yours IF you can else they are cheap, 160 for both) and just use your oem brakes and brackets. The install is pretty easy, if you have ABS then you are gonna have more fun doing it, if you have traction control... not sure if the 8.8 will work with it, not sure though.

With this your wheels will sit in .75 inches to much side per side, so buy some wheel spacers.

Thats how to do it new unless you can buy a complete 8.8 from ford for 99+ for cheaper than 725.00 (if it comes with axles remember those run 80 each~)

you can get one from a junk yard but you never know what you are getting so be careful, and remember pre 99 and 99 up's are diff length.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #78
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
you really need to pay more attention to your car... if you was missing all or part of the diff cover lol when you change your oil look under there all over really good.

go go www.speedconcepts.net and buy an 8.8 complete minus axles (just re use yours IF you can else they are cheap, 160 for both) and just use your oem brakes and brackets. The install is pretty easy, if you have ABS then you are gonna have more fun doing it, if you have traction control... not sure if the 8.8 will work with it, not sure though.

With this your wheels will sit in .75 inches to much side per side, so buy some wheel spacers.

Thats how to do it new unless you can buy a complete 8.8 from ford for 99+ for cheaper than 725.00 (if it comes with axles remember those run 80 each~)

you can get one from a junk yard but you never know what you are getting so be careful, and remember pre 99 and 99 up's are diff length.
the cover is all there.. there's just a hairline gap.... and I got a better rear end for cheaper

Old 05-13-2005, 06:11 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
those prices were just for new stuff.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #80
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
check things like craigslist, ebay, various mustang classified forums, etc.

you said theres a hairline gap? and thats where the gear oil got out? take it off and have someone weld up the crack, and just get a whole new set of gears. alot cheaper then spending 800 on a whole new rear end when you dont have to.

and 8.8" rear ends are built to handle more power right? i doubt his v6 will ever see the power level needed to break the 7.5" or whatever, so thats another not really needed upgrade. but then again i just woke up and prolly have no idea what im saying.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 PM   #81
Legacy Member
Legacy

I appreciate the input guys. However, the guy at the dealership said it's all torn up inside there... I have to have new axles and everything. So rebuilding mine is NOT an option. Corey found me a Moser rear end that is new, and I get to pick the gear ratio... no extra charge.
Also, it's not really about the power handling... I know the 7.5 will be albe to handle it... but this one has t-lock, which I wanted, and I can get 3.73's which I want... for free

Old 05-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #82
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
exhaust knocked the cover off...smells like bull**** to me
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:48 PM   #83
Legacy Member
Legacy

not off.... just gave it a small gap... and trust me, it happened. I can see where it is leaking out now. Maybe it got a bit worse or so as I drove it. I got the car home now... got it home on the car trailer. Drove it up the car trailer, and drove it off at home... and then backed it up some ramps and crawled under it. I can see it now, and yeah, there is fluid everywhere.... doesn't look like a slow leak to me.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So, let me see if I understand this.

You slid off into a ditch some time back.

It bent up your exhaust and possibly your axle cover.

You had to strap the exhaust up to get it home.

You didn't do a detailed inspection of the rear to see what was broke.

You heard a whine but still didn't check things out.

You smelled a funny smell but still didn't check things out.

Your axle died.

You whine here about it.

We should all follow your example and IGNORE THE WHINE!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:47 PM   #85
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Sorry to hear about your bad luck man. You know I remember someone telling me a while back they heard a whine from their rear end, I told them it could be low gear oil in the rear end and they should get it checked right away, can't remember who that was... I hope he got it checked.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #86
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol, hey Ponycarman, the damage wasn't that extensive. The car ran fine after the accident. I drove home just fine... the exhaust tip on the one side would some times hit the ground while I was driving, that's why I wired it up. The car didn't really make noise until like the last month and a half or so. And it was just a faint whine... very faint... my passengers often couldn't hear it. Also, the smell just started recently... about the time I changed my oil... a week + a couple days ago.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:16 PM   #87
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
So, let me see if I understand this.

You slid off into a ditch some time back.

It bent up your exhaust and possibly your axle cover.

You had to strap the exhaust up to get it home.

You didn't do a detailed inspection of the rear to see what was broke.

You heard a whine but still didn't check things out.

You smelled a funny smell but still didn't check things out.

Your axle died.

You whine here about it.

We should all follow your example and IGNORE THE WHINE!

Steve
you should read more carefully. I said it created a small gap, not bent. The cover is still in perfect condition... as said the dealership repair guy. Also, I stated by next week I was having the rear end re-lubed. I did not ignore the whine... or the smell. Does burnt oil smell similar to burnt rear-end lube? Yesterday, the whine went from just a faint whine to a grinding horrendous noise in the distance of an intersection... I kid you not. At the start, faint whine, at the opposite end, it sounded like all my gears were being ground against each other... very ugly noise. The damage was between that point and the time I got to the dealership, which was less than 8 blocks. The dealership repair man noted that the differential was leaking lube... and that it was fresh... and tonight, I crawled up underneath the car.... as I have to start taking off exhaust, and I also saw this. The differential is almost completely covered on the bottom side, with fresh lube. My accident was like 3 months ago... if it were 3 months old, it wouldn't be fresh.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:38 AM   #88
Legacy Member
Legacy

the guy at the dealership felt bad for me... very very bad. The diagnosis bill came up to $65, and he said "I'll take care of it.. you have enough stuff to worry about there".... I was like :O :O :O :O :O NO F*IN' WAY.... at a DEALERSHIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar