my car is at the Ford dealership... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
my car is at the Ford dealership...

I have been hearing a very faint whine from my rear end. I haven't really been that worried about it. I was planning on getting the lube changed here next week some time. Plans changed today. I was driving to a restaurant after practice for my AA degree graduation, which was tonight... and the whine went from very faint to suddenly not faint at all, and quite ugly. It sounded like grinding metal.. not a chunking sound like gears had broken.. just like dry metal being forced against dry metal. So I go another block and pull over. I shut the car off and just think. I sat there for about 5 minutes, and then decided to take it to the dealership to have it looked at. It was ok for the first block or two, no sounds at all, no whine or anything.... then suddenly, it's back. I went another 4 blocks, max speed of 20-25 mph.... Then I pull in. This was at about noon... they said they could look at it at 2:45... I said ok, left my keys, and came back around 5.... they hadn't looked at it yet... said they will see it first thing in the morning. I'm worried I'm going to get raped by their prices... something like $43 an hour in labor costs they charge. Does my car's rear end just need to be repacked? I really doubt I tore the gears out. Again, it wasn't ''chunky'' for driving, it was still smooth, just ugly ugly sound.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Maybe it wasn't even anything to do with your read end gears or anything. I think you blew up an axle bearing or something. I don't know how involved those are to change though.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #3
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Just go ahead, find a table you like, drop the pants, and bend over.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 11:18 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
for the love of God no. But my car rides and coasts smooth still... if it were an axle bearing, wouldn't it be rougher? And why would it get ''better" when the car had a chance to cool? I thought this pointed to rear end, because the rear end gets hot with the friction.. and when lube gets hot, it doesn't lube as well, which means it would 'wear' away again, like what happened when I restarted to go to the dealership

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 05-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

first thing they wrote down was "tires in really bad condition"... that's all they did. I didn't ask them to check the DAMN TIRES. Just check what I asked. I told them I was buying new tires soon... I think they're going to try to force some tires on me

Old 05-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
you wont feel anything from a rear axle bearing

my rear would whine when i would be at constant speed, with light throttle, and it would clunk, so im wondering if its your rear at all
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
do you have a fluid leak? dont sound like it to just come all the sudden, the parts are cheap for a repair, gears are 180 tlok is also about that price, bearings are aroudn 60 bucks then just got to pay teh 1000 for labor lol. ... if they try to charge you more than like 600 just buy an 8.8 rear and pop her in.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

hmmm, weird you'd say 'light throttle'... the ugly noise would gradually go away if I were coasting, but if I light throttled it, it would come back a bit, and then would go away again if I let it coast. But it wasn't ever "chunky". It never sounded or felt like something had broken, and was being destroyed through the rear end. It only happened when I got to or above 15 miles an hour... anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

well, they'll probably tell me "we did the work already... your total is $32,000,422"... yeah, they're bad about doing the work, and just expecting you to pay for it, no matter how much it is. I'd like them to call me if I have to get a new rear end... but I don't think I do. I really hope the plug fell out or something, and the lube was leaking out. Of course, the whine seemed to go down if I filled the tires all the way up. When the one was low, the whine was louder.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

does it make noises when you turn while giving it gas, not coasting but while putting power though the rear end while turnning and not going to fast. Instead of paying like 800 bucks to fix the 7.5... just upgrade to an 8.8 for less money is what I ment.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:50 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

turning makes no difference. The noise was identical while turning, and while not turning. The only thing that affects the noise is throttle, being that it isn't as loud when coasting, and speed.... it is not gear related in that when the car shifts, the noise doesn't change... meaning not tranny issues. The noise is directly related to speed of tires.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:09 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

alright boys (and gals), I'm going to head to bed soon... only got 4 hours last night, and I have to ride into town with my parents, as my car is at the dealership, and will some time need to be picked up.... I think near noon tomorrow.... I hope I have enough cash to cover it. I got $180 on me, and $500 in the bank.... if it's more than that.... screw 'em.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:56 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

tttttt

Old 05-13-2005, 06:36 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
OK, you got up way too early.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:51 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
So you still have stock gears I believe. when was the last time you lubed the rear end or the axles. I say you should have taken it for a lubing and greasing and then you would not need grease on you butt before they ream you. Never take your car to the dealer unless you hav e a warrant period. But it is now almost to late unless you call them and tell them to hault and go ask them to tell you what exactly they are going to be doing and then I would just leave with your car and take it to a place that will grease your axles and change your rear end lube and not charge you $32,000,422"...

Be good
Old 05-13-2005, 07:23 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
have you looked at your rear rotors at all? my brake pistons had vacuum locked in full closed position and it ground the pads down to nothing, then it started grinding the pins against the rotors. i remember the sound started off faint at first, then when the pads wore through it got a lot worse

there's my advice, check your brakes
Old 05-13-2005, 07:51 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

it doesn't sound like that kind of whinning. Just instinctively, it sounded like gear whine. I'm wondering if I popped a plug out when I went in the ditch this winter. The whinning started like 3 or 4 weeks after that I think. To Corey, I haven't lubed it up yet. I've had the car about a year and a half, and am just starting to realize the importance of regular maintenance. Up until now, about the only thing I've done is clean air filter and change oil. I do a good job of both of those. And as of now, I don't really have a choice, because I"m not 100% sure what's wrong with it, and I don't want to drive it making those noises.. across town to hopefully find a place that will do it. They charge $43 an hour labor, and if it's nothing major, they should be done in an hour to an hour and a half. I'm just hoping it's under $200. Relubing everything should be under $200 for sure... I hope

Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

I really don't want to have to buy a new rear end .... been looking at prices, and I don't want to be out a car for as long as it'll take me to get $600 extra. 1.5 weeks... which sucks

Old 05-13-2005, 10:25 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Update

I just called them. Thay saaaid the car would be looked at at 2:45 yesterday... at 5 pm yesterday, 30 minutes from close, I checked, and they said 7:30-8:00 am the next day, which is today. So I just called them, and it's 10:20... and they said "your car is on the rack right now, our technician is looking at it to determine where the problem in the rear end is".... to me, this says one of two things. either the car has been on the rack since 8 am... since was "the first car to go on the rack in the morning" (bull ****)... and they've charged me for 2.5 hours of estimate time... or they just got it up there. Also, we must consider the fact the technician is an impotent dumbass sitting there going "what in the hell is that?".... "let me get the book". They said they would call me back with an estimate... and I can assure you, I will probably crap myself when they give it to me.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to V6STANG007 Send a message via Yahoo to V6STANG007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
I have been hearing a very faint whine from my rear end.....
....Oh man!..sorry Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
OK you are right!!! Maybe I am the Old Crazy One
V6STANG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6STANG007
....Oh man!..sorry Jimmy
haha, nice. But those are generally more of a purr, or a rumble... not many 'whines'

Old 05-13-2005, 10:38 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
haha, nice. But those are generally more of a purr, or a rumble... not many 'whines'
Thanks for clearing that up....lmao

Quote:
Old 05-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

well, it's important people realize I have manly farts... not little pansy ones. Especially this morning, holy cow. I had pizza last night, and for some reason, it's giving me some pretty rank gas.... nice thread steal btw ... still waiting for them to call back with an 'estimate' of the size of dildo their going to use

Old 05-13-2005, 10:50 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol, maybe after the dealership is done with you those farts won't be too loud.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2005, 10:51 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

maybe they'll be louder.... it'll be stretched out... can hold more air

Old 05-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

UPDATE: still waiting... it's been about an hour since I called

Old 05-13-2005, 11:23 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

dealreships are so slow

Quote:
Old 05-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, they've been "looking at it" since 2:45 last night according to their time sheet... It's been over an hour of diagnosis time now... I wonder if this kid had to ride to school on a 'special bus'.. wearing his 'special helmit'.... and going to his 'special classroom'

Old 05-13-2005, 11:28 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

one of my friends used to be a tech at the ford i went to (not at another ford dealership farther away which blows.... ) he used to look a few then go wonder off and relax... cuz they do get paid by the hour so why not take your time since its not warranty work... this way they get all the money off you they can.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, I know... but when they come back with $180 worth of labor to repack the grease into the rear end.... I can smack them in the forehead with my dick and say "guess again".... and then get a lower amount.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
one of my friends used to be a tech at the ford i went to (not at another ford dealership farther away which blows.... ) he used to look a few then go wonder off and relax... cuz they do get paid by the hour so why not take your time since its not warranty work... this way they get all the money off you they can.
Exactly They are going to charge you by what the books says to charge you. I just dont understand why people use a dealership if it is not a warranty issue. People who do should have to wear shirts they say " I LIKE TO BE REAMED on the front and in the back it should have a arrow pointing down saying INSERT HERE !!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:33 AM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

I didn't have a choice Corey.... it was 4 blocks from me... the other place in town that MIGHT do it is like 3 miles away, and if my gears were grinding, I didn't want to drive 3 or so miles on it. I tried to save myself money in that, if I tore out my rear end going to the cheaper place... I just cost myself a lot of money. If it's just a plug and lube, which I hope it is.... it shouldn't be TOO bad.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

^maybe we can get some of those t-shirts printed when Nick gets the ME t-shirts

Quote:
Old 05-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I only use them if i talk to one of the guys there I know and they can fix it for cheap... and I stay there while they work on it.. I would never just go to some dealership where I didnt know the guy working on my car and let em at it unless I had NO clue where a good place was in the area to do work was at.

with warranty work they get on the ball cuz they barly get paid for the time they need anyway those non warranty fixes are what gets em paid... the tech gets like 15-18 bucks of that 43 bucks (here its 55 an hour) so the dealership makes the rest in profit
Old 05-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

maybe I should get a special order one because I'm gonna get SCREWED on this. I just have that feeling. I wish I were sitting there watching them do it... then they'd actually work on it. I just have this image in my head... the car's on the lift... the guys looking up at it, with the rear diff. cover off going, hmmmmm, that looks kinda neat!... with his tongue out and a glazed look in his eye... drooling on his shirt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar