anyone have info about Altimas? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

anyone have info about Altimas?

Anyone have info about Altimas? Good/bad? Would you own one? How are they vs. the compitition?
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
my sister have a 4cyl altima 2004. very nice cars, Seem to be of good quality. it has very good acceleration. very spacious too.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Base price: $17,810
Vehicle type: front-engine, front-drive; 4-door 5-passenger sedan
Interior volume, F/R/cargo (cu ft) 58/44/16
Wheelbase 110.2 in
Length/width/height 192.3/70.4/57.9 in
Turning circle 37.4 ft
Curb weight 3001 lb
EPA city/hwy mpg 24/31
Fuel-tank capacity/range 20.0 gal/480 mi
Passive restraints driver and passenger front, side (opt), and curtain (opt) airbags; rear curtain (opt) airbags

POWERTRAIN
2.5-liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4, 175 hp, 180 lb-ft; 5-sp man

SUSPENSION
F ind, struts, coil springs, anti-roll bar
R ind, multilink, coil springs, anti-roll bar

BRAKES
F/R vented disc/disc
ABS optional

Nissan Altima 2.5
For 2005, Nissan adds the first ever Altima SE-R, which takes one of C/D’s favorite mid-size family sedans to a more sporting level. The SE-R gets new front and rear fascias and a rear spoiler, forged 18-inch wheels, a Z-like three-gauge instrument cluster, and black leather sport seats. The 3.5-liter, DOHC 24-valve V-6 engine has been “tuned” and teamed with sweet-sounding high-flow mufflers to turn out 260 hp, a 10-hp bump over the standard V-6. Matched with a choice of six-speed manual or five-speed automatic with manual mode, a performance-tuned suspension, large four-wheel disc brakes with standard ABS, and sticky 225/ 45R-18 W-rated tires, the SE-R is ready to take on all comers in its niche. If that’s more than you need, there are five additional models—2.5, 2.5S, 2.5SL, 3.5SE, and 3.5SL —that offer cosmetic styling tweaks and an all-new interior for 2005.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

When Nissan introduced the Xterra sport-utility vehicle just a few years ago, everyone thought it would cannibalize sales of the company's other SUV, the Pathfinder. After all, it was roughly the same size, had a similar engine option, and cost a lot less. Guess what? Pathfinder sales are up. Nissan successfully differentiated the target markets for the two products and hit 'em right on the nose. Nissan has a similar plan for the 2002 Altima, which, in its new, enlarged form with an optional 3.5-liter V-6, looks for all the world like a Maxima replacement. But Nissan operatives are confident they can pitch the new Altima at the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord and push their Maxima range farther upmarket. Basically, Nissan will allow the Altima to usurp Maxima GXE sales, which had accounted for about a quarter of Maxima volume, cutting the GXE market share to just five percent. In turn, Nissan will push the Maxima SE to 58 percent and the GLE to 37 percent of total Maxima sales. These developments will result in the 2002 Altima squaring off directly against the bestsellers from Toyota and Honda. The Altima will have a size advantage — it's longer, taller, roomier, and a fraction wider — and an edge in power from each of its engine configurations when compared with the Camry and Accord. It's not bad-looking, either, with an aggressive shovel-nosed front end and a dramatic rear end that flashes occasional Passatlike aspects at you when it isn't fascinating you with a split-plane bumper molding that plays with the light in a most becoming fashion. The front and rear lights are clear-lensed units with a voguish bejeweled look, and we particularly like the round brake lights — like those of the Jag S-type — that appear as concentric rings of light points. The four-cylinder and V-6 versions both have dual exhaust tailpipes, but the V-6 model features cutouts in the rear fascia that give the hind end a tidy, integrated look. All Altimas for the North American market will be assembled in the Tennessee towns of Smyrna and Decherd, and they will be the first Nissans assembled there to benefit from the structural and dimensional integrity of a one-piece body-side structure framing the doors. The three lower-end Altimas — the 2.5, the 2.5 S, and the 2.5 SL — are powered by, yes, a 2.5-liter in-line four that is all-new for 2002, hooked to either a four-speed automatic or five-speed manual transmission. It boasts an aluminum block, balance shafts to cancel second-order vibes, continuously variable valve timing, and a pretty impressive 180 horsepower at 6000 rpm. That's 25 more horses than the preceding Altima's 2.4-liter engine offered, and it should be enough to compensate for this bigger car's 70-pound weight increase. It certainly feels fine on the road, with good midrange torque and a lively power rush at the top end of the dial. Like many smaller-engined siblings in dual-powertrain model ranges, the 2.5 Altimas have sweeter steering and lighter handling than their V-6 equivalents. And even if the cars equipped with four-speed automatics did feel a little down on power at Laguna Seca Raceway, where Nissan hosted track time, they were perfectly adequate on the street. Nissan's Altima 3.5 SE has a downgraded power output compared with the 2002 Maxima (240 versus 260 horsepower), but that's still enough to spank the Camry and the Accord (194 and 200 horsepower, respectively). So is its husky torque peak of 246 pound-feet. As you'd expect, the V-6 tows this car around with considerable authority, offering effortless low-end response and really intense urge as the tach climbs into the 5000s. Keeping all this action on the road is a new strut front suspension, a multilink rear suspension based on the zoomy Skyline model's running gear, and generous wheel and tire packages. The four-cylinders get 16-inch wheels with 205/65R-16 tires; the V-6 models roll on 17-inch alloys shod with 215/55R-17 rubber. At Laguna Seca, this combination demonstrated quite good balance, offering minimal push with an ability to rotate under braking that greatly assisted in lapping the fast track at a respectable clip for a street-spec car. Furthermore, the Altimas were able to thread the tortuous canyon wiggles of the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road south of Carmel without grinding around in terminal understeer.

Despite the generous increases in dimension, the new Altimas are substantially stiffer than their predecessors (170 percent stiffer, says Nissan), and this is evident in their taut and quiet roadgoing demeanor. The 103-cubic-foot interior offers a 1.3-inch front-headroom improvement and a 1.9-inch legroom improvement. This earned two thumbs up from our XL West Coast editor, although with disapproving glances at the roof's stylish downward arch above the rear-seat passengers' heads. And the new interior was well received, particularly the dash design, which features a contrasting-texture waterfall-shaped center console and a three-hole instrument panel with highly legible orange-backlit dials. Three so-called atmospheres are available: Charcoal, Blond, and Frost, along with, uh, "wood tone" trim. A premium Bose sound system is an option. Prices, according to Nissan spokesmen, will be competitive with the obvious marketplace rivals' — figure $16,000 to open, with top-end 3.5 SE models closing in on $23,000. Given the advantages the Altima enjoys in the realms of size, space, and power, this ought to be a very interesting struggle.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
Regular

Region: Tennessee
^ Dude you should totally get a job as a reviewer for Car and Driver OMG!!!!!111111

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

btw the ride is very comfortable.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
my gf's dad has one.... he really likes it, it's the 6 cylinder, and would beat mine like a red headed step child.... but not nearly as quick as a GT

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
i'd own one if i owned a family.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
he asked me if I wanted to race for pink slips... I said no. He said, awww is my car better than your's (yes, he is an ***).... and I said, awwww, is my car the one that'll bring home the *****... yeah, to my gf's dad, hahaha.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 05-29-2005, 08:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
^ Dude you should totally get a job as a reviewer for Car and Driver OMG!!!!!111111

ya caught me. hey, he wanted to know some info on the altima, i found some, and told him about it.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

I had already read stuff from edmunds, vehix, and nissan. Just wanted personal esperience.

Trying to decide if I want one or something else.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:32 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

the 2004 is a really nice car.... also, the v-6 is pretty damn quick... interior is very sharp

Old 05-29-2005, 08:57 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
I like them but have you thought of getting the sentra. Smaller with a bigger aftermarket.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:05 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

I don't want an aftermarket. I am pretty tired of the modding stage of my life. Just want something practical right now that will get me from point A to point B and that I don't have to worry about being stolen or vandalized or whatnot. I have no idea where I will be in 12mos and an Evo in the wrong part of town would be bad.

Oh, and after having xenon headlights, you get so adjusted to them, the halogens on the sentras would be a pain going back to
Old 05-29-2005, 10:44 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
friend of mine just bought a se-r altima, very nice inside/out. he wanted to run me one night and I think my foxbody is still a tad quicker off the line and all cuz he shut down really soon...massive freakin wheel hop. he tried to race a ws6 haha.

but very practical, smooth ride, and all the creature comforts. If I was into foreign cars id own one.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:12 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
altimas are sweet. especially the 2005s. whether you want a 4 cyl 2.5, v6 3.5 or se-r 3.5, they've got pep. the seats are comfortable, there's a lot of headroom and leg room (i'm 6'3" 285 lbs, and i have plenty of room in them) ...the factory stereo is sweet, bose all around. the looks are racy, but still with that air of the family sedan. the auto trannies shift smoothly from gear to gear, and downshift and accelerate quickly when you give it extra gas, i haven't noticed any hesitation with the autos... the manual's rev much more quickly than you'd expect, and the clutch goes in easy, yet is firm enough to give you the proper feedback... they're fun to drive... the stock suspension on the 2.5 and 3.5 is coilover, and about what you'd expect from a sporty sedan, but the SE-R model's suspension is much nicer. firmer on highway, it seems to hover just over the asphalt, rather than on it. it's a great ride in town too... they have some nice colors, but my personal favorite is the blue. it looks so perfect... on the SE-R though, red is definitely the best looking.. funny how a aero kit can change your color preferences, isn't it?

^i know all this for a fact, becuz i build altimas at work, and i drive them regularly. they're a nice ride, and not too expensive. except for the SE-Rs, of course, which cost more due to the aero kit, coloring, interior enhancements, and engine retuning

i'd say if you have the option, get an altima

get a nissan, period
Old 05-30-2005, 04:14 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

except for a sentra... they suck balls! i can't fit inside one comfortably, not even with the seat all the way back, and tilted almost to horizontal

sentra's suck
Old 05-30-2005, 04:21 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

not biased at all are we

Old 05-30-2005, 06:54 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

maybe a little :pnoid:

that doesn't make them less nice though
Old 05-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
as long as they are body kit free, spoiler free, and fart cannon free.. i respect them. nice cars.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher
the only problem i have with them is the shifter is kinda loose, its weird, but im guessing that can be fixed with a short throw, im guessing they make them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

i haven't noticed any shifter issues with the 05 altimas. and i spend quite a lot of time with them
Old 05-31-2005, 05:28 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

i dont know it just seems loose, like really open. but this is an 04

Quote:
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
Old 05-31-2005, 06:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to FloMasta24
hey i fit in my spec v right comfortably but your right it is a lil small....i would love to have an altima se-r tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
vday is like an srt4, at first it sounds good and in the long run it sucks
FloMasta24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas
as long as they are body kit free, spoiler free, and fart cannon free.. i respect them. nice cars.

You must hate my current car then. Eventhough it is kinda quick . Big wing, check. fart cannon, well, full exhaust, but check. body kit, new front bumer, check.

Woohoo!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:03 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

^its slightly faster then any ones car here (dont shoot me please)

Quote:
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
Old 06-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
A lot of oriental cars come with a spoiler, not one that looks like a park bench, but a spoiler.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:41 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
there was a altima at the track, nitrous fed, ran a 12.7 if i remember. and i hear the v6's love nitrous on those, its not rare for nitrous fed ones to hit 12-13's with just nitrous and simple bolt ons. the got like 260hp stock i think, not bad if you ask me for dumping maybe 1000 into nitrous, intake and exhaust and run 12's. but then again the car costs around 25k if i remember.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:43 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonarcher
^its slightly faster then any ones car here (dont shoot me please)
what about 03redfirecobra or god himself Jayber?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:01 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

the 05 altima 3.5 v6's push out 240hp, the 2.5 4bangers push 175hp, and the se-r's push 265hp. they're light too, and the price starts around 19,000 and goes up to 26,000.. but the se-r is move expensive, starts around 25,000 and goes up to 30k. not worth the extra $, imo, but still nice to drive

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar