Are Guns (Firearms) Weapons? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

View Poll Results: Are Firearms Weapons
By definition, YES, Firearms are weapons 20 95.24%
NO, firearms are NOT weapons 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to chips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik

Webster defines a "Weapon" as something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy.
that definition alone proves what i've been saying this whole time. a gun isn't a weapon unless it's been used to harm someone or it was designed for the purpose of harming someone.

Quote:
Now using Webster, we look up the following in relationship to Firearms:
Gun
-a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory b : a portable firearm (as a rifle or handgun) c : a device that throws a projectile
that's what a gun is, but i don't see how it's relevant to theis argument

Quote:

Firearm

-a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder -- usually used of small arms.
this is what i'm talking about... people lable all guns as weapons when not all guns are weapons.

Quote:
In closing, any and all types of firearms are considered as weapons,
in closing? you haven't even made a valid argument. all you've done is rehash the same things you said in the other thread and post a bunch of definitions.

Quote:
There is a very specific point I want to make perfectly clear to Chips' narrowminded opinion of the term "weapon".
narrowminded? weapon?

first off, when did i ever define the word "weapon"? how can you say that my "opinion of the term weapon" is narrowminded? i've said all along that a weapon is something made for the purpose of harming someone, or something that has been used to harm someone.

second off, how can you call me narrowminded? lets look at just one gun here... please explain how a CZ bolt action 22 is a weapon. it was made for target shooting and that's all it's used for. how is it a weapon?

and another one... explain how a browning citori, a gun designed for sporting and used for sporting is a weapon. i honestly don't understand how it's a weapon as it's not made for shooting people, and there has probably never been one used to shoot anyone.

i could go on and on posting hundreds and thousands of guns that are not weapons, but i don't think that will accomplish anything since you are obviously too narrowminded to understand that some guns are no more of a weapon then a basketball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Chips, you are incorrect. A gun's sole purpose is to hurl a very small projectile at very high rates of speed.... a gun was designed to kill. It doesn't matter if it was designed for war, or just killing animals. It was designed to kill. Anything designed to kill IS a weapon.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:11 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to chips
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
A gun's sole purpose is to hurl a very small projectile at very high rates of speed....
yeah

Quote:
a gun was designed to kill.
how can you say that every gun is designed to kill? that's just not true. i own several guns that are not designed to kill anything. not all guns are made for hunting or shooting people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 08:28 PM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
ok, let me ask this again............. why were guns invented? Oh yes, to kill.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 06-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #40
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
^case in point
Old 06-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

dark, are you agreeing with me?

Old 06-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #42
Regular

Quote:
ok, let me ask this again............. why were guns invented? Oh yes, to kill.
Why were cars invented? Not to kill people... but you get into one and run soemone over at 50mph and its going to kill them.

The car didn't kill them by itself did it? Nope... just like the gun didn't.

Just because something was invented for a particular reason doesn't mean that all guns following it are going to made for the same reason.

That is the point chips is arguing.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:46 PM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy

I realize that, but guns WERE invented for killing. Not to look at.... not for transportation. The point that you can kill people with a lot of things is null and void because those things' sole design feature is not killing things... as a gun's is. That's why they were invented. Guns > bow and arrow.... which were invented for killing things. Anything invented with killing in mind is a weapon, case closed.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #44
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Yo-Yo's were originally invented as weapons by the Aboriginees.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

however, they have ceased to be used as weapons in most cases because they aren't very effective.... and people don't practice enough to be good at them.... much easier to aim a gun.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy

might I add.... in the general progression of things

yo-yo < bow and arrow < guns

Old 06-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #47
Regular

Quote:
I realize that, but guns WERE invented for killing. Not to look at.... not for transportation. The point that you can kill people with a lot of things is null and void because those things' sole design feature is not killing things... as a gun's is. That's why they were invented. Guns > bow and arrow.... which were invented for killing things. Anything invented with killing in mind is a weapon, case closed.
So what? They were originally invented to kill people. Today not all guns are invented for this purpose. Some are but some arent.

What they were originally intended for doesnt mean **** in this arguement.

Reddit
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #48
I liek gramer
Legacy

BUT yo-yos were invented for killing, and that's what you said defines a weapon.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #49
Regular

We win.

Reddit
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

yes it does. Cars were originally invented for transportation... and to make money... but some people only drive their cars like 10 miles in a year.. does this mean it isn't an agent of transportation?

Old 06-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy

go ahead and play stupid if you want

Old 06-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #52
Regular

Quote:
yes it does. Cars were originally invented for transportation... and to make money... but some people only drive their cars like 10 miles in a year.. does this mean it isn't an agent of transportation?
What the sam hell are you saying?

Look let me walk you through this.

Not all guns made today are made to kill something.

Reddit
Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #53
Legacy Member
Legacy

you can play the "aboriginee" weapon card if you want, I could care less. Fact is, legally, a gun is a weapon. End of story. Argue all you want, a gun is a weapon.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #54
Legacy Member
Legacy

you're right, some shoot flames to light cigarettes....... I don't think those are the guns we're talking about.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #55
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
heres a prime example of a gun not intended for being used a weapon.

that my friend is not a weapon, thats art.

I plan on owning a old 1911a1 when i turn 21 or a H&K USP in .45 aswell
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #56
I liek gramer
Legacy

I agree, guns are weapons. I'm just picking apart your argument because I can.

I also agree that all guns are not made to kill something.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:06 PM   #57
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
a gun is not a weapon, untill it is used as a weapon

pen: writing utensil
pen after stabbing someone in the neck: weapon

fork: eating utensil
fork after gouging out an eye: weapon

shotgun: tool for survival
shotgun after blowing someones chest apart: weapon

as for this "guns were invented for killing", prove it, "guns are legally weapons" prove it

you can say this all you want, prove it, your argument holds no water, and is based on opinion, and what you think and feel, not anything factual, not anything that holds water
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #58
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
a gun is not a weapon, untill it is used as a weapon

pen: writing utensil
pen after stabbing someone in the neck: weapon

fork: eating utensil
fork after gouging out an eye: weapon

shotgun: tool for survival
shotgun after blowing someones chest apart: weapon

as for this "guns were invented for killing", prove it, "guns are legally weapons" prove it

you can say this all you want, prove it, your argument holds no water, and is based on opinion, and what you think and feel, not anything factual, not anything that holds water
you prove it, I'm tired of this BS. walk into a bank, and try to say "it's just a tool".... doesn't matter if you didn't intend to use it for anything... have a gun in your car, try telling the cop it isn't a weapon.... it's just a tool... you're full of it, so you prove your point.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #59
I liek gramer
Legacy

hey, i've got an idea. both of you prove your points!

We can make this like a real argument!

or can we?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:11 PM   #60
Legacy Member
Legacy

I get cranky when I work graveyard shift.... plus, I don't have time to go look for it now, I have to get ready to go to work soon.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #61
Road Trip!

Quote:
you prove it, I'm tired of this BS. walk into a bank, and try to say "it's just a tool".... doesn't matter if you didn't intend to use it for anything... have a gun in your car, try telling the cop it isn't a weapon.... it's just a tool... you're full of it, so you prove your point.
how about this...prove me wrong...other than

"muh daddy toldz me dat ef i tink i B rite, i B rite an a guz a wep0n"
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 PM   #62
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
how about this...prove me wrong...other than

"muh daddy toldz me dat ef i tink i B rite, i B rite an a guz a wep0n"
I didn't get a 158 IQ by having my daddy tell me everything. Maybe you should take a chill pill and get off my case. It's my opinion, and I will find it when I feel like finding it, until then, you can find your side of the argument. I still see Chips is the only one to vote that it isn't, so why not stfu.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:18 PM   #63
I liek gramer
Legacy

Guns can or cannot be used as weapons, just as any other object can or cannot be used as a weapon!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #64
Legacy Member
Legacy

here is the ending of it:
http://www.legal-explanations.com/de...ous-weapon.htm

for those that don't want to link:

Dangerous Weapon
n. Any weapon such as a gun, knife, crossbow, slingshot, sword, etc., that could potentially cause harm to one's body. The victim or survivors can sue for negligence and possibly win a judgment if the weapon is unguarded, not used properly by the operator, or creates harm to the operator (even with permission).

so not only is it a weapon, it's a "dangerous weapon"

Old 06-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #65
Road Trip!

Quote:
I didn't get a 158 IQ by having my daddy tell me everything. Maybe you should take a chill pill and get off my case. It's my opinion, and I will find it when I feel like finding it, until then, you can find your side of the argument. I still see Chips is the only one to vote that it isn't, so why not stfu.
get off my dick

i dont care about IQ, i dont care about knowledge, i dont care about what your dad did or didnt do, if youre going to make an argument, step up, and prove your point

if you learned anything in debate class, if someone calls your argument as false, you must prove your point with facts, not say "n0, j00 pr0ve ur arrrrgumen+ firss cuz mah dik is 2 small"
Old 06-02-2005, 10:22 PM   #66
Legacy Member
Legacy

you're the one semi-flaming to try to prove a point... belittling an opponent is the first thing to look for when realizing someone isn't completely sure on their point... also, I DID just prove it.

pwnd

Old 06-02-2005, 10:24 PM   #67
Road Trip!

actually, youre the one making this huge deal about it, and rambling on without facts to begin with, yes, you finally submitted ACTUAL evidence

im sorry that my IQ cant compair to your 158, and i cant type super fast, and keep up with your 500 posts, one after another after another, i actually put thought, and a little bit of sentence structure and grammar into my posts

Quote:
pwnd
get over yourself, youre doing nothing but proving that you can type and hit "post reply" faster than anyone, and being an annoyance at this point
Old 06-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #68
Legacy Member
Legacy

which post did I not put grammar into?...... plus, you're the one attempting to leet.... plus, I put thought into it.... obviously, I was right... thus, some thought must've gone into it

Old 06-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #69
I liek gramer
Legacy

typing like this.......... isn't exactly good grammar........

but....... this is off topic......... so let's get back to guns and weapons.......
Old 06-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #70
Legacy Member
Legacy

awww, someone's upset. You're the one that played this thing out like I was stupid, and I proved my point, you have yet to, but you keep throwing out insults like you're right. You question my intelligence, and then you try to make fun of me for posting my IQ.... and then you say I'm "on myself".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar