Are Guns (Firearms) Weapons? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

View Poll Results: Are Firearms Weapons
By definition, YES, Firearms are weapons 20 95.24%
NO, firearms are NOT weapons 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Are Guns (Firearms) Weapons?

Ok, no more hijacking Corey's Thread... God knows he'll find Brother Corey and make us all suffer the wrath of the hose!

Are Firearms Weapons? You decide.

Webster defines a "Weapon" as something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy.

Now using Webster, we look up the following in relationship to Firearms:
Gun
-a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory b : a portable firearm (as a rifle or handgun) c : a device that throws a projectile

Firearm

-a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder -- usually used of small arms.

Firearms, regardless of their purpose, are classified as weapons according to the United States Federal Government as stated in the Criminal Code CHAPTER C-46 Section 2 uner definition of "firearm"

"firearm" means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm;

Having stated that the literal term of the word, and the United States Government definition of the word, I would like to submit that any and all firearms are classified as weapons. Specific use for the firearm is insignificant, hunting, sport, the intent to cause bodily harm, ect. Firearms of any kind are weapons.

Further definition of "Weapon" from the Criminal Code CHAPTER C-46 Section 2 uner definition of "weapon":

"weapon" arme
"weapon" means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use

(a) in causing death or injury to any person, or

(b) for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person

and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm;

In closing, any and all types of firearms are considered as weapons, regardless of their original intent or use. Weapons are not soly classified as objects used appropriately or inappropriately to cause harm or threaten harm.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
for the love of God... yes. Guns are weapons because they have the potential to be used as weapons... thus, many things are potential weapons........ the law agrees with me. You can have assualt with a deadly weapon for having a baseball bat..... however, we wouldn't refer to a bat as a "weapon"... the ball might, but we don't, unless it's POTENTIAL to be used that way is fulfilled... a gun has this potential at any time... and legally, threatening someone with a bat, or a gun, is the same... almost... both are weapons in the eyes of the court.

I'm tired of this argument because it's pretty much pointless... guns are weapons. They don't HAVE to be used against someone to be classified that way. They are designed for one purpose, to fire a round (or several) of ammunition at a very high rate of speed, causing this projectile to do damage to one or more things. Thus, a weapon... as the "thing" could be anything. A pen can be a weapon, all in how you use it.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
*looks for option C*

:pnoid:
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
I'd say if you were gonna argue hand guns weren't weapons... someone needs to mushroom print you in the head..... I can maybe see how not all guns, i.e. shot guns for hunting, would not have a "threatening" thing about them,... but then I remember.. oh yes, IT'S A GUN... and can kill you with one shot, from a distance of approximately 1/4 mile if you're an ok shooter.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 06-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
I'm tired of this argument because it's pretty much pointless.
There is a very specific point I want to make perfectly clear to Chips' narrowminded opinion of the term "weapon".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
*looks for option C*

:pnoid:

What would you like Option C to be in a yes or no poll? :
Old 06-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

^****, the police use shotguns
Old 06-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

what I meant was, it's pointless we have to argue this to Chips... legally, all guns are weapons.... end of discussion. That's it. Look, see the "period" at the end of the sentence?.... no more room for argument.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

C= "who cares?"

lol just messin with ya rellik
Old 06-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
^****, the police use shotguns
not here.... all 9 mm here. The farmer's carry bigger weaponry (see, weaponry..... as it's something that's a gun.....) than the cop (not plural). I'd assume 'down town' they'd have bigger WEAPONRY.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
C= "who cares?"

lol just messin with ya rellik
I know you are Dark
Old 06-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
not here.... all 9 mm here. The farmer's carry bigger weaponry (see, weaponry..... as it's something that's a gun.....) than the cop (not plural). I'd assume 'down town' they'd have bigger WEAPONRY.
not true. every police car i've ever seen the trunk of has 2 shotguns and a ****load of ammo in it

and that's before i moved to the big city
Old 06-02-2005, 10:28 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

of course, that's not their standard weaponry, that's like shootout/ assault gear
Old 06-02-2005, 10:30 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
not true. every police car i've ever seen the trunk of has 2 shotguns and a ****load of ammo in it

and that's before i moved to the big city
I'm going to repeat myself.... the town cop carries a 9 mm.... that's it. That's all he has on him. He drives around in a Cadillac cruiser... and has no other guns in it. The other guns he may have are in the police station in town. He has shown us in driver's ed the ins and outs of his car. I stand by my statement of "he only has a 9 mm".... it's a town of 800 if you count the nursing home... not exactly a huge place.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:30 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
the thing is, most guns, are bought for self defense, hunting, recreation...and with the intent to do some damage

regardless of the intended use of the gun, it will always be considered a weapon, theres nothing we can do about that, i mean, you cant walk up to someone with a gun in your hand, and them not think youre going to use it as a weapon, unless youre handing it to them or something

jimmy, im going to have to agree and disagree with you, the potential of a gun being a weapon isnt what makes it a weapon, the actual use of the gun is what makes it a weapon, generally, a hunting riffle isnt classified as a weapon, but can be seen as one, only because its a gun, but if you buy an AK-47, or even a Glock 9, theyre generaly seen as weapons, rather than "tools"

things can be used as weapons, yes, as was brought up, a pen, a pen can be used as a weapon, but most people dont say "he has a pen, run!", if the pen was used to inflict pain, it becomes a weapon, just as steak knives, screw drivers, hammers, sticks, poles, maglites, all of those can be used as weapons, but are not seen as such
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

hahaha, that's funny you'd say that, a friend of mine stabbed another friend of mine with a pen.... and he DID say that. .... plus, my argument wasn't that "because it has the intent" more as...... in addition to it just being a weapon.... we see a weapon as something that has intent to deliver or inflict pain.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:35 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
we see a weapon as something that has intent to deliver or inflict pain.
which not every gun does not have that sole intent

hunting rifles and recreation guns generally arnt used to deliver or inflict pain, while they can be, the intent is to shoot for food, or to go to a shooting range, and whatnot
Old 06-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

I, again, was not arguing that. All I was saying is that "we", generalization, typically view a "weapon", another generalization, as something that has the potential to inflict pain. It's like a secondary definition of a weapon.... thus, anything used in a hostile manner is a weapon. See where I'm goin' with that? If you're blue, you're also azul... just two different words for the same color. These are two different 'definitions' of things that are weapons... guns are automatically weapons. Knives, depending on length, are weapons... as you only need a knife of a certain length before it is no longer needed to be beneficial.... also, on a side note, I saw a SMOKIN' HOTTIE at TSC today...... Tractor Supply Co. for those that aren't in "hick town".... she was working... and thought it very unusual I only bought 7 - 8/32 locking nuts... lol. For my hood scoop, I'm making the underside look perdy.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
hunting rifles ... generally arnt used to deliver or inflict pain,
Tell that to the hunted animal
Old 06-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

hmm, well, i guess it differs on the other side of iowa. over in sioux city, the cops ride LOADED

here, kind of a slantways point....

guns were created to kill. whether for food, or for war, that's what they were invented for. i tend to think they were invented to kill first, becuz that's just how humans are; and then one day someone said.. "hey, i can use this to get food" ...it doesn't matter if you use it for hunting, or killing people, becuz either way, you're killing something. so, going back to rellik's definition of "Weapon"...

Quote:

and furthermore, what is with this "guns are defensive" line? ...what are you using it to defend against? a mugger, robber, etc etc... the threat of mugging or robbing, perhaps? doesn't that fall under B in that definition? how are you using it defensively? are you using it to kill your mugger? the threaten or intimidate them? if so, then your gun is just as much a weapon as theirs

end of story
Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #20
Road Trip!

its hard to argue generalizations

kinda like saying "blacks like chicken" or "whites are rich", or "asians are hard workers", and arguing it to the end of time
Old 06-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
and furthermore, what is with this "guns are defensive" line? ...what are you using it to defend against? a mugger, robber, etc etc... the threat of mugging or robbing, perhaps? doesn't that fall under B in that definition? how are you using it defensively? are you using it to kill your mugger? the threaten or intimidate them? if so, then your gun is just as much a weapon as theirs

end of story
when did i say a gun used in self defense was not a weapon? Yes, it is a weapon...i...nor anyone else said otherwise, so why is this point brought up? there was no opposition in this
Old 06-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

^sorry, i was reading the old thread at the same time and put that in the wrong thing. chips was the one that said "guns are defensive" i think
Old 06-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #23
Road Trip!

haha, alright, i was all confused
Old 06-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol, it's ok
Old 06-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Bane-
yes, anything has the potential to become a weapon, i.e. this pencil sitting next to me or the keyboard im typing this on. But saying all guns are weapons makes it sound their soul purpose is only to shoot other people, which is false.

Id consider a gun or knife a tool more then a weapon.

Whats wrong with having a gun for home protection? Or better..why not? When I move out Ill have a universal alarm system (pump action shotgun) for anyone to try to break in. I can just about put money on it if someone broke into my house and heard a shotgun cock they would turn around and walk out, but not before they cleaned up everything they broke or knocked over on the way in. And Ill be buying my girlfriend one of the smith and wesson hammerless revolvers for the reason revolvers are damn near impossible to jam and wont have a hammer to worry about.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane-
Whats wrong with having a gun for home protection? Or better..why not?
Thats not what this debate is about. It's about showing Chips that his narrowminded view of what the term "weapon" is completly biased and unjustified.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:39 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane-
yes, anything has the potential to become a weapon, i.e. this pencil sitting next to me or the keyboard im typing this on. But saying all guns are weapons makes it sound their soul purpose is only to shoot other people, which is false.

Id consider a gun or knife a tool more then a weapon.

Whats wrong with having a gun for home protection? Or better..why not? When I move out Ill have a universal alarm system (pump action shotgun) for anyone to try to break in. I can just about put money on it if someone broke into my house and heard a shotgun cock they would turn around and walk out, but not before they cleaned up everything they broke or knocked over on the way in. And Ill be buying my girlfriend one of the smith and wesson hammerless revolvers for the reason revolvers are damn near impossible to jam and wont have a hammer to worry about.

^ummm.... V

Quote:
guns were created to kill. whether for food, or for war, that's what they were invented for. i tend to think they were invented to kill first, becuz that's just how humans are; and then one day someone said.. "hey, i can use this to get food" ...it doesn't matter if you use it for hunting, or killing people, becuz either way, you're killing something. so, going back to rellik's definition of "Weapon"...

Quote:

end of story
Old 06-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24
That's a dumb question. Of course a gun is a weapon, but a weapon is just a tool. The outcome is the result of the user's intentions. People demonize firearms but I've never seen a gun aim itself at anybody and then pull it's own trigger.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Bane-
exactly, guns dont kill people; people kill people. the poor lil innocent gun just happens to be there
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
The number one killing weapon in the world, Non Military death,

THE MACHETE. A tool use to wack dense brush wacks more people than any other device
Old 06-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
A weapon can be almost anything, very true. However, some tools are designed to be weapons, while others just get used for them more often. A firearm is a tool, it is also a machine, but more than anything else it is designed to be a weapon, whether for self defense, home defense, hunting wild animals or whatever the main purpose.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
is the pope catholic?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

I know guys, I know. I only made this thread because of what chips said in this thread:
Another reason living in Cali sux
Old 06-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik
Webster defines a "Weapon" as something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy.
this reason here is why i vote yes.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
no ****
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar