HELP need topic for speech :) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
HELP need topic for speech :)

I need a give a persuasive speech on some topic that has enough info to talk about for 7 min. I am gonig to need to use sources and site info...

any topics please
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

a pusuasive paper on why street racing shouldnt be done. this is my rough draft, for some reason i cant find the final copy on my computer. but i think it'll help as sort of a foundation for a paper. there are also two sites in here that you can also look at to expand more as this paper is not a 7min speech.........well it can be if you talk VERY slow.

hope this helps

Quote:
Comm. 211
04/11/05

“Zoom Zoom Zoom”

As I was coming to class this past Thursday, I was almost rear-ended by a car that was racing another car on the interstate. Ever since the release of a “The Fast and the Furious” a few years ago, we have seen a very noticeable auto trend, and that is to dress up cars to look like the ones in the movie. However, this trend does not stop here. Some people often imitate the entire movie, which entails a life of street racing. Not only is street racing down right stupid in every aspect, it is illegal; it endangers lives, and can be prevented by going to the drag strip. I will explain in this paper the punishments that can happen if caught, some statistics on street racing, and an example as to why this activity should not be practiced on the street.
The punishments for street racing can vary from state to state, well actually, from city to city. A person can be arrested and their car can be impounded for 30 days. If the person does go to jail, one will be imprisoned for vehicular homicide and possibly attempted murder if an accident occurs. It may be just me but going to jail for something like this really does not seem worth it. If one is lucky, they will only get away with a ticket. Driver’s license can be revoked. Car insurance will increase dramatically if not cancelled.
Still think its okay, well here are some stats from around the country in 2001 about street racing. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration documented 135 fatal crashes to be the result of street racing. In San Diego, almost 300 people were prosecuted for illegal street racing. The California Office of Traffic Safety issued more than 800 citations for illegal street racing in one year. In Florida, 7,216 citations were issued for illegal street racing.
Given the punishments and stats regarding this, I will get at a more emotional nerve now as to why this should not be done on the streets. In Colorado, an 11 year old just returned from school on a Monday morning after being out for two years battling a rare form of brain cancer. Her parents had promised her a big pizza party on Wednesday as sort of a comforting thing for her. As the whole family were about to leave the pizza restaurant, a car that was believed to be going over 100 miles per hour crashed through the front window of the establishment, instantly killing the little girl’s parents and severely injuring the little girl. The young girl now is confined to a wheelchair. Police arrested the person that did this and later arrested another and determined through confessions of the two that they were street racing when this incident occurred. They are now serving life in prison. A young child who had just gotten out of the hospital and finally had a normal life now suddenly did not anymore. She now has lost both her parents because of the acts of two young people.
Given the things that can happen if one decides to do this really asks this one question. Why are there even people that still do this? Well, some do not think they are going to hurt anyone. Those people that were racing who killed others did not have the intention of it, but it happened. I hope that this will make someone think twice when tempted by someone else to street race. If you have the need for speed, please, take it to the track were it is legal.

Works Cited
http://autoracing.about.com/od/forth...alStreet_2.htm
http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~russell/...entsample3.doc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

heres another one on firework safety, again, more research is needed on your part as it isnt a 7min paper, but again, another foundation. cant find the works cited page. but just google in "firework safety" that should help

Quote:
Comm. 211
“Firework Safety”

What is the first thing that you think of when I say “Forth of July,” or “New Years’ Eve?” That’s right, fireworks. Firework safety is very important. Have you ever had a roman candle explode in your hand? If not, it is very painful. I will explain to you a few firework statistics, a few safety tips, some precautions to take when dealing with fireworks, and some state laws dealing with fireworks. Hopefully, with this knowledge, you will not have a roman candle explode in your hand as I have. Did you know that in 2002 over 8,800 people were treated for firework-related injuries, and over the past ten years, homemade fireworks have caused 30-33 percent of all firework-related injuries. These statistics were found by the National Council of Firework Safety.
Here are some safety tips to consider when dealing with fireworks. Always remember that fireworks are explosive materials, even though they make pretty colors when they explode, they are still dangerous. A few main things to remember when dealing with fireworks are to: always use outdoors, follow label instructions, and never experiment and make your own fireworks. I can tell you to pay close attention to the last precaution as I did not one New Years Eve, and it resulted in a homemade firework exploding about ten feet in front of me, which could have resulted in serious injury.
Some precautions to take into consideration are: never use while intoxicated, always light one firework at a time, and never give fireworks to small children. This last precaution, again, is something that I have first-hand experience with.
Some states have even banned some fireworks from the market because people do not know how to use them. As a matter of fact, Arizona, New York, Georgia, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Rhode Island do not even permit fireworks. In Louisiana, at least in some parts, the popular M-80s are not sold anymore because a few years ago one a small child in Baton Rouge lit a M-80 and it blew up in his hand. This, as well as other injuries associated with M-80s and other fireworks are why some of the best fireworks, in my opinion, are not sold anymore. Some other fireworks that are not permitted in Louisiana are: Cherry bombs, tubular salutes, 2” American made salutes, firecrackers exceeding 1½”in length or ¼” in diameter, repeating bombs, aerial bombs, roman candles containing more than 10 balls, and sky rockets larger than 6 ounces. (You know, the good stuff)
Firework safety is very important, and hopefully with these statistics, tips, and state laws, it is important to you. Hopefully, people will not abuse the privilege so that more fireworks are not banned. If we would all just take extra care in dealing with these explosives, then we will all have a good time and get through New Years Eves and Fourth of Julys without having a homemade firework exploding ten feet from you or having a roman candle explode in your hand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

and i finished this class (comm 211) with a B, but again, your instructor might grade harsher. ours graded on your appearance, tone of voice, pitch, rate, clarity, posture, and other things.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
yea, he is nice but I wont be able to steal speaches, he checks for that stuff.... I dont care to write it I have to come up with a topic I like. Ill eventually come up with something... this damn class sucks I should have had it like 4 years ago.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Persuade people to never take speech during the summer.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:20 PM   #7
Road Trip!

BIODIESEL The wave of the future
ComputerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
yea, he is nice but I wont be able to steal speaches, he checks for that stuff.... I dont care to write it I have to come up with a topic I like. Ill eventually come up with something... this damn class sucks I should have had it like 4 years ago.
how would he check for it? these speeches were never entered into a computer, i dont think. really, youre not stealing a speech, just using it as a base
Old 06-17-2005, 08:09 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
since its persuasive.. id go something political about rights or laws or something. things that are contraversial are the easiest to take a side on and persuade others.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar