Mechanic school? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Mechanic school?

So, here I am. I've been out of school since May, and I WAS going to join the Navy, after they didn't have any jobs, (except for Nuclear and Special Warfare)... I gave up on that. I was hoping for Meteorology, just because that'd be, for lack of a better word.. Baller.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, does anyone know anything about schools to become a mechanic? I know of two in MO, Rankin and another... but how do they work? Anyone here actually been to school to become a mechanic?

1996 Chevy Lumina - My old sweetheart. I don't care what anyone says, it just won't ever die. Had more soul then a Temptations record. With 235k on the tach, it'd still roast the front tires.
LuminaV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: Mechanic school?

wait you think nuclear and special warfare isn't baller
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Try the NADC. Nashville Auto Diesel College. BTW, If your asvab scores were high enough, you would have been crazy not to do something in NBC.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I got an 84 on the ASVAB.. and the recruiter said if wanted nuke I could go nuke..

I just don't wanna be a nuke. =\

1996 Chevy Lumina - My old sweetheart. I don't care what anyone says, it just won't ever die. Had more soul then a Temptations record. With 235k on the tach, it'd still roast the front tires.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I went through a manufacturer backed company to get into the automotive business.. it basically buys you a job into a dealership.. Keeping it is up to you.. I've moved on.. but it was a great experience

Look into ASSET/ASEP/TTen schools, do some research and then decide.. I'm sure there are others can't think of them off the top of my head (ASSET is ford, ASEP is GM TTen is Toyota)
Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

^ Thanks. I looked into the ASSET program, and there is a school 4 hours away in STL, its Community College, so I may be able to use my free two years there.. which would be fantastic. Of course, I'd have to go into the ASSET program, owning a Ford and them not being owned by the government... who is notorious for messing things up.

Still open for thoughts. Thanks so far though, it really helps me get an idea.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Mechanic jobs generally are more experience based than anything. They will probably hire you then train you so you get experience and education towards the job. Either way being a mechanic sucks and everyone that I have pretty much ever talked to hates it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

dont do it. please for love of god dont do it. and no im not kidding

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

I went to school for mechanics but I also kept going and got an automotive specific management degree. Mechanics is ok when your young but you don't want to be turning wrenches when you get older. Most guys get tired of it too, working on other people's junk. And I mean junk because they don't take care of it. If there are a lot of cars coming in, the pay can be good but you also have to be good because of working flag time which will take experience and time itself.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Scut, could you explain to me what an automotive specific management degree would be good for? 'cuz in my mind it sounds like your just gonna be a manager at a car fix'n business.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Mechanic jobs generally are more experience based than anything. They will probably hire you then train you so you get experience and education towards the job. Either way being a mechanic sucks and everyone that I have pretty much ever talked to hates it.
I won't argue with that..

BUT getting technical background as a technician can help you BIG TIME in your future career, especially if you are young, and get out EARLY ENOUGH to make a move in your life (IE don't settle down/start a family as a tech, it'll make moving around a lot harder)

I actually attended the same program as Scut95, basically you take your two year automotive degree (like you would get through Ford ASSET) and then add in management/teaching beyond that.. Courses that work with Dynos/etc are all included..

Automotive Technology Management Bachelor of Science Degree (B.S.) - Pennsylvania College of Technology is the degree I went for..

I landed a corporate job after school..

A LOT of people were hired out of this school at the company I work for:

Department of Automotive Technology - Pittsburg State University

Weber state has a well-known program I believe, also

Having technical experience (IE dealer experience) and all ASEs is a HUGE help in finding a good job after graduation

And honestly, having dealer experience for a competitor of the company I was hired for ended up being a PLUS

Just a thought..
Old 09-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Don't think you will for sure end up as a regular mechanic for the rest of your life. You could start your own repair shop and maybe a used car dealership? Or if you get really good and extrememly fast who says you can get on a race team pit crew. To me being a mechanic anywhere is your schooling if you want to go higher.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Now I know my experience and opinion is quite different from the others since I'm not an actual mechanic, I have worked on cars. For two years I worked on car audio, just shy of MECP certification only because I was lazy and never took their test.

Now I know this is no where near the complications that today's techs go through, not only do they have to be mechanically inclined but they now need to computers, but I can't share the feeling of working in such a service industry.

People would come in with $500 cars with a $1000 worth of repairs and spend 3 Grand on crappy equipment that actually made their car lose value. People are disgusting and you have to figure out how well you can deal with that. It only took me two years to learn that it wasn't for me.

If you decide to go for it, I would think you should aim for ACE or whatever else is out there (I don't know too much on that) certification and an area where you can advance in position (like any other good job). It would probably also be best to move to a more urban area where a community is driven by a much more service oriented community.

Around here shops seem to do very well, places are always looking for mechanics. I heard that there is also a huge shortage of machinists so that might be something to look into.

Also dealerships have a standard price, pay and time for their work. What this is say you are required to do a brake job, the dealership pays their mechanics to do this job for $50 in one hour, well whether it takes you ten minutes to do the job or it takes you four hours, you're still going to make that 50 bucks for however long it takes you. This could be good since if you can do it in 10 minutes then you can do 6 of them in an hour, you will make 300 bucks in that hour. The bad thing is if you take the four hours to do it you will only make 50 bucks for those four hours.

Knowing how cars go, nothing ever goes easy and projects always take longer than anytime given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Now I know my experience and opinion is quite different from the others since I'm not an actual mechanic, I have worked on cars. For two years I worked on car audio, just shy of MECP certification only because I was lazy and never took their test.

Now I know this is no where near the complications that today's techs go through, not only do they have to be mechanically inclined but they now need to computers, but I can't share the feeling of working in such a service industry.

People would come in with $500 cars with a $1000 worth of repairs and spend 3 Grand on crappy equipment that actually made their car lose value. People are disgusting and you have to figure out how well you can deal with that. It only took me two years to learn that it wasn't for me.

If you decide to go for it, I would think you should aim for ACE or whatever else is out there (I don't know too much on that) certification and an area where you can advance in position (like any other good job). It would probably also be best to move to a more urban area where a community is driven by a much more service oriented community.

Around here shops seem to do very well, places are always looking for mechanics. I heard that there is also a huge shortage of machinists so that might be something to look into.

Also dealerships have a standard price, pay and time for their work. What this is say you are required to do a brake job, the dealership pays their mechanics to do this job for $50 in one hour, well whether it takes you ten minutes to do the job or it takes you four hours, you're still going to make that 50 bucks for however long it takes you. This could be good since if you can do it in 10 minutes then you can do 6 of them in an hour, you will make 300 bucks in that hour. The bad thing is if you take the four hours to do it you will only make 50 bucks for those four hours.

Knowing how cars go, nothing ever goes easy and projects always take longer than anytime given.
IF you can get into a dealership, conditions are usually a little better - and you're working on warranty, by the time cars become 'junk' people that bring cars to dealerships either have moved on to new cars, or have started going to independent shops - problem solved..
Old 09-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

^This is true. A lot of the BMW and MB dealerships are in need of trained, certified mechanics, who will put them through the school for their own dealership, well that is the student pays to go into their program/school. All this IIRC.

But then again I'm only talking about the local dealerships. And by local I mean the NYC-LI area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

^ I always looked at how awesome it would be to be a Porsche certified mechanic.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I went to the Universal Technical Institute in Houston, Texas and graduated from there in 2004. It was a total waste of money and time. Everything they taught there was on carbs and no fuel injection. Also everything they taught was stuff I already learned from doing my own work. Total waste. I agree that the mechanic profession is an experienced based career.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Monte basically said everything that I was going to say. I also landed a corp position. Having the technical background allows you to understand the systems and how they work but you can use that in many different ways other than turning wrenches.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

A friend of mine always *****ed because Ford would drop the pay amounts (X hours for Y job) so low that they would have to fly through the job to get it done... and generally doing it right took a back seat to the timeline.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I just took my car to the dealership to get it re-aligned, as I smacked a curb goin' about 30 a month or two back.... They charged me 173.31 for a complete adjustment, because the lower control-arms were out of place or something.. took them two hours, so I guess it was almost legit. =\

and because I KNOW someone will ask...

I locked my brakes up on a wet day avoiding an accident. I don't have ABS.=\

Old 10-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

sorry to bring back an old thread. i went to UTI and went through the FACT program. also, i worked in a ford/lincoln/mercury dealership for years but i left and now work at an independent. i dont regret a thing i did. i make pretty good money and enjoy what i do. most people aint cut out for this. you really gotta love it
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #22

i went to school at ESPN RUSSEL RACE SCHOOLS mechanic program its a year long school that follows the race schedule so its not necessarily mon-fri but it was the badest *** school iv ever been to. and compared to like uti or mmi its way better although its set up to train you for the race industry so you dont get a ase cert but iv never had a problem with references as its one of the top ten in the country for that industry. not to mention it costs like half what uti does. and you get hella incar driving classes, you get your scca competion licence and you gotta compete in the mechanic race series once a month oh dam you mean i have to race? lol the formula mazdas are sic cars an its located on the racetrack, the school buildings were relocated still on the track at infinion raceway but into a much more modern facility than when i was there. i recomend the school to anyone and i garantee youll love it.
casper911v8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar