Friend of mine came back from Iraq the other night - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Friend of mine came back from Iraq the other night

From his own words he sent to me in an e-mail:

"I'm missing part of my kneecap, have some nerve damage in my right leg and right arm, along with little pieces of metal stuck in whatever wasn't protected by my kevlar. I've also lost some of my hearing, especially in my right ear. I was the victim of a VBIED, or Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Device, an unnecessarily long term for a vehicle bomb.

I'll heal to the point of being able to run on it again, eventually, but I'll never be as good as I was before. Right now I'm out of Reynolds Army Community Hospital after being stuck at Walter Reed for some time. It sucks. I hate Oklahoma.

My military career is effectively over, yes. I was injured before but not anything close to this. I'll get an MEB, or medical board evaluation, and get paid from the Army and the Veterans Administration for the rest of my natural life.

People there are a lot like people anywhere: Aloof until something directly affects them. Most of them just do their best to blend into the background and remain part of the crowd, they want to go about their daily lives uninterrupted. They don't care about our cause, or the insurgents', they're just ordinary people.

The kids, however, I can't stand. Little ****ers. They'll swarm your vehicle, begging for candy or they'll point at something of yours that they want, and if you tell them "no", they call you "ulooj" (pig) or "ali baba petro" (thieves of our oil) or something along those lines. If you really piss them off, they'll give insurgents advance warning of your arrival.

Feh. I'll never have to go back. It's a ****ing eyesore."

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Tell your friend Thanks for serving. I used to get the same thing where I was stationed.

Remarkable how many of the little pricks want cigarettes! You give them what they want, you are a hero, say no, and you are what they called number 10!

Here's a change, give them Bibles!!!
ComputerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Wow. I have friends over there and I'm always afraid I'm going to get news like that, or worse...

Tell your friend that he has my 100% support, for what it's worth...
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #4
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I say we just pull out and let them beat the **** out of each other for the next 100 years, Better them than us.

Democracy will never work over there.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
^democracy isn't meant to work. it's meant to prevent autocracy
Old 07-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'll tell him, thanks guys.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to tedness
i can't think of one soldier i know that's come backt that thought we should be over there this long. ya def be sure to tell him thnx for what he did
Old 07-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I say we just pull out and let them beat the **** out of each other for the next 100 years, Better them than us.

My thoughts exactly.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #9

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via AIM to electricstang99
Yeah tell him thanks for serving. I have two friends in the army, one is a really high rank captian with like really good intellagence and because of that he cant tell us when he is leaving, but be within this year. Then my nextdoor neighbore/friend is leaving here in october for his second tour of duty then out of the army for good. He is in no real serious danger honestly, he's a mechanic. He is repairing/taking the parts off the damaged humvees and putting them on other ones. But still you gotta give it up for them, not to many of us are the brave/courages to sign up for the army when this stuff is going on. They are the real heros out there. Putting their lives on the line for a nation that is all complaining about the war instead of giving them full support, even if the people dont agree with the war.

....and i was in a heated race with a civic the other day... he was turbocharged. He only won because I tripped on a rock :uhh:
http://mustangunderground.com/uploads/pictures/ME.JPG
electricstang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:09 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Quote:

so why try then in the first place.

i would have agreed with this a year ago, but since were already in for the long term im against that view. once they have a government and start having a thriving economy hopefully they will have enough to defend themselves.

i think if we pull out now some other crazy regime will take over and reign havoc for the next 50 years over there. and as pissed off at us as they are, within 50 years there could be alot more 9/11 types of things.

and seph i feel for your buddy. tell him there are still some people who support him no matter what war he serves. my buddy has orders to depart from San Diego(pendleton i believe) come january. albeit hes a Network Admin, hes still a marine and still will see action. its gonna be hard, hell be the first person i know personally to go to iraq.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:21 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
There is a problem with just pulling out. We did that in viet nam and people around the world saw us as losers and our economy hit the fan and we felt the first oil embargo. Very few of you were even born when the first embargo hit. Driving around to find a gas station that had gas and waiting a hour in line to get some only to find they had a 5 gallon limit.

You dont go in bring down a regime and then just leave. Most of the 25,000,000 are good people and deserve the right to be free. Sure the place suxs but so does a million other places our military has been. War is hell and there are always casualties in war.

I am sorry about your friends wounds and hopefully he will be able to have a normal life.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

I told him your posts today guys, he really is flattered and says thanks

Old 07-05-2005, 03:13 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
dang, I'm too late, but if you talk to him again, tell him I said thanks for serving.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar