First legit drag trip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to tedness
First legit drag trip

Took the car to the drag for a 'test and tune' at Southern Georgia Motorsports Park tonite and damn I thought I'd do better than I did.

Mind you I was comparing to those lists of specs that say a stock V6 will do anywhere from high 15's to mid 16's.

My best time was 16.3 @ 86mph w/ a 2.55 60' time.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Re: First legit drag trip

I think thats why I am scared to goto the strip. Might be let down from the times I run. I'd rather just think my car is faster than it really is.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:27 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

it was fun though. got about 12-15 runs in.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

60 ft time is good for stock in my opinion. wish i could test my car out, but the closest track to me has LOT's of rules and regulations. since my windows are completly tinted it says to not even bother coming down to try and race. there's a list of like 50 things your car can have and not have. :cussing: bastards.
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:04 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedness
holy shat! my car would break after run 5. if it makes it to the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq
wish i could test my car out, but the closest track to me has LOT's of rules and regulations. since my windows are completly tinted it says to not even bother coming down to try and race. there's a list of like 50 things your car can have and not have.
dam i dont think even cali tracks are that bad. dam with rules like that, i wonder how people wonder why people streetrace. at least undercover people dont go to your track and get your license plate number down and then send cops to your house to do underhood inspections.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

damn your 60' was terrible, no offense intended. you just wern't getting any traction

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois

For the first time at the track that's not bad.
that 60' on an open diff is ok.
Also remember that weather conditions play a big factor in how you run.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Quote:
What was your cooling doing period? did you have any? did you let the car sit for awhile before you went up? what about tire psi?

All those are factors when at the track. but yeah your 60 really isnt that great.
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh i definately had no traction, but i had a lil more w/ the burnouts. they made everyone go through the water...

lets see, that run was the only time i really gave the car a cooling period, and i need a manual fan switch bad, tire psi for rear was around 45 hot. i need a new diff thats for sure. next on the list
Old 08-12-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
oh i definately had no traction, but i had a lil more w/ the burnouts. they made everyone go through the water...

lets see, that run was the only time i really gave the car a cooling period, and i need a manual fan switch bad, tire psi for rear was around 45 hot. i need a new diff thats for sure. next on the list
They made everyone go through the pit? Sounds like the track is run by a bunch of morons. everyone knows it is a must to avoid the pit with street tires. It will create an unsafe environment because you do not get all of the water off your tires which will only spread down track. Down track water, high HP drag cars...can become bad in a hurry. I am guessing there weren't many street tire cars with 60' times at 2.0 or less.

And 45 psi on your tires? Wow, no wonder you had traction issues. Mine will be around 20-22 psi tonight when I go to the track. Hopefully that helps my traction woes.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Quote:

Oh ouch your not suppuse to go through the water box, should have at least reversed into to it for just your rears.

damn 45 psi sheesh dude no wonder. its suppuse to be alot lower. anywhere from 18-22 psi should do the trick.
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

if you HAVE to go through the water box, just do a quick tire spin to kick the water off

Atco raceway (one of the nation's highest rated by one of the N*RA groups.. Has 2 'garage' style doors before their track.. one per lane, no way around 'em and the water pit right under 'em... it's been that way as long as I can remember.. I'm not gonna argue, the track is close, cheap and fun..

I've gotten gobs of traction on stock tires both the 89 and 02 just gotta kick the water off the tires...

2.55 is **** man, no offense, my first run in the 89 I ran a 16.2@88 MPH because I couldn't get traction (2.6 60') and missed third lol..
Old 08-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

On street radials try not to go in the water at all.
Also a big burnout will make traction worse. All you need to do is spin them just enough to clean them off.
2000 Vert 4R70W
Old 08-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

thats wierd be/c i was getting 2.2 60' all night on stock pressure

Old 08-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

ah well i hadn't lowered my pressure from auto-x on sunday and i forgot about those factors. and ya i just kicked the water off, nothing big. the problem is soo many people were doing big burnouts on their drags they said '**** it, everyone goes in water haha they will all suck now'

so i'll remember that for next time
Old 08-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor
thats wierd be/c i was getting 2.2 60' all night on stock pressure
But is stock pressure 45 psi? I know my tires street recommended pressure is 32 psi. My stock F1's were something like 32-35 psi. 45 psi seems quite high.

I used to cut 2.0-2.2 60's in my GT on Nitto street radials at "stock" pressure. But, when I dropped the pressure I was able to hit 1.8-1.9 times.

Needless to say, I will be running 20-22 psi tonight on my first run. If I have a tone of tire spin, I will definitely be hitting the 18 mark.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

your 60ft times are horrible... but for your first time they are ok. Go back have some more fun and get them down to 2.2 to 2.3s and shave off .4~ from your times easy.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
But is stock pressure 45 psi? I know my tires street recommended pressure is 32 psi. My stock F1's were something like 32-35 psi. 45 psi seems quite high.

I used to cut 2.0-2.2 60's in my GT on Nitto street radials at "stock" pressure. But, when I dropped the pressure I was able to hit 1.8-1.9 times.

Needless to say, I will be running 20-22 psi tonight on my first run. If I have a tone of tire spin, I will definitely be hitting the 18 mark.
45 is good for autocross, but yah stock recommends 32 for even cobras.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to NJStang86

What mods do you have?

-Tire Pressure should be set around 20 psi in the rears, and around 40 in the front
-Be sure to take out any unnecessary items out of the car (spare tire, jack, etc)
-Have a fuel level of under 1/4 tank (I usually run with around an 1/8 or less)
-Make sure you cool down the car after every run...Whether you wait awhile before going back in the lanes or you put a bag of ice on the manifold, you need to keep the car cool to get your times lower.
-Traction Control off (if you have it), OD off

An ideal 60' time for you to shoot at would be a 2.3
I can't see you going anywhere under that unless you are running a great set of street tires or dr's, or if you have a posi rear. You could throw tons of money into engine work, but your 60' will still suck unless you can spread the power to both wheels.
NJStang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJStang86
What mods do you have?
Damn, if I show up to the track with that much gas, I would only get 1 run in and run like **** as the gas would be sloshing around so bad the pickup would suck. lol

I ran tonight with just over 1/2 a tank. I ran 4 times. I left with just over a 1/4. lol. Now that I am home, I am right at a 1/4 (about 20 miles to get home).
Old 08-12-2005, 11:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Damn, if I show up to the track with that much gas, I would only get 1 run in and run like **** as the gas would be sloshing around so bad the pickup would suck. lol

I ran tonight with just over 1/2 a tank. I ran 4 times. I left with just over a 1/4. lol. Now that I am home, I am right at a 1/4 (about 20 miles to get home).
I always have a gallon or 2 with me in a gas can for emergencies. You have to remember that our cars have 1 1/2 - 2 gallons reserve once the fuel light goes on. Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ only gives you 3 runs (sometimes more based on the amount of people there), and I've never had to use the extra gas I've brought down. Could be different in your case if you get more than 4-5 runs.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
I always have a gallon or 2 with me in a gas can for emergencies. You have to remember that our cars have 1 1/2 - 2 gallons reserve once the fuel light goes on. Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ only gives you 3 runs (sometimes more based on the amount of people there), and I've never had to use the extra gas I've brought down. Could be different in your case if you get more than 4-5 runs.
Plus I am running a supercharged, not so gas friendly, V8. lol. Mileage when going WOT is in the toilette. You can pretty much watch the needle go down.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci

run your tires at the stock, recommended pressure

airing down street tires is retarded, it kills your contact patch

just spin through the water box untill the tires squeel a little bit, then they are clean and dry
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:35 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

- haha set way too high in the rear
- everything was out to begin w/, as i don't run around w/ all that stuff usually
- fuel was like nearly full becuz there's like no places to fill near the track haha and its like a 2 hour drive
- definately didn't cool anything down or wait except for a few runs, including my best one which occured after a 20 minute break
- v6 = no traction control
- 5spd = no OD option
Quote:
What mods do you have?

-Tire Pressure should be set around 20 psi in the rears, and around 40 in the front
-Be sure to take out any unnecessary items out of the car (spare tire, jack, etc)
-Make sure you cool down the car after every run...Whether you wait awhile before going back in the lanes or you put a bag of ice on the manifold, you need to keep the car cool to get your times lower.
-Traction Control off (if you have it), OD off

An ideal 60' time for you to shoot at would be a 2.3
I can't see you going anywhere under that unless you are running a great set of street tires or dr's, or if you have a posi rear. You could throw tons of money into engine work, but your 60' will still suck unless you can spread the power to both wheels.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:38 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Guys i don't even reach drive none-the-less OD when i go down the strip so thats not a big deal

Old 08-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i have went 50 miles after low fuel before with out hassel

I have filled up right after the light, it comes on at 12.8 gallons~ on my car so i still have a good bit left, around 2.5 gallons.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor
Guys i don't even reach drive none-the-less OD when i go down the strip so thats not a big deal
If you're not hitting 3rd gear in a 1/4 mile then there's a problem...

And the reason why you switch OD off is because the computer tends to shift sooner than it has to when OD is on.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
i have went 50 miles after low fuel before with out hassel

I have filled up right after the light, it comes on at 12.8 gallons~ on my car so i still have a good bit left, around 2.5 gallons.
ive done the same thing, but when you try to open it up, fuel sloshes away from the pickup, and you feel like an *** when its sputtering
Old 08-13-2005, 11:28 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
And the reason why you switch OD off is because the computer tends to shift sooner than it has to when OD is on.
Not at WOT.
2000 Vert 4R70W
Old 08-14-2005, 01:23 AM   #30
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

See, it is discussions like this that make me very much glad I have a manual...no matter how many times the auto police tell me an auto is better. lol.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:31 AM   #31
Road Trip!

untill you miss a shift, then its "i knew i shoulda gotten an automatic car"

im much happier with a 5-speed in my car, everyone tells me ill grow out of it, i doubt it
Old 08-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
untill you miss a shift, then its "i knew i shoulda gotten an automatic car"

im much happier with a 5-speed in my car, everyone tells me ill grow out of it, i doubt it

I never said that to myself when I missed a shift

Funny thing in the 02.. went from missing third with the steeda shifter to missing second.. I dunno why, must have just been my angles
Old 08-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have one of each.
The 5-spd is a blast to drive & the auto is dead-on consistant at the track.
2000 Vert 4R70W
Old 08-14-2005, 08:59 AM   #34
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

Yeah, but us autos will stomp yall in some bracket racing.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:03 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
See, it is discussions like this that make me very much glad I have a manual...no matter how many times the auto police tell me an auto is better. lol.

see, if you would have just gotten that automatic cobra that guy asked you about friday, then you wouldnt have had a problem

and yeah, i wish i had a manual now......my first truck was a manual and i sweared my next car would be an auto b/c in bumper to bumper traffic, its not that fun......now i wish i would have stayed with a manual. but oh well, the programmer makes the auto a helluva lot more fun now
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar