World Reacts to Katrina - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
World Reacts to Katrina

World Reacts to Katrina's Devastation

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

VIENNA, Austria From papal prayers to telegrams from China, the world reacted with an outpouring of compassion Wednesday for the victims of Hurricane Katrina (search) in messages tinged by shock that a disaster of this scale could occur in the United States.

Islamic extremists rejoiced in America's misfortune, giving the storm a military rank and declaring in Internet chatter that "Private" Katrina had joined the global jihad, or holy war. With "God's help," they declared, oil prices would hit $100 a barrel this year.

Venezuela's (search) government, which has had tense relations with Washington, offered humanitarian aid and fuel if requested.

The storm was seen as an equalizer proof that any country, weak or strong, can be victimized by a natural disaster. Images of flood-ravaged New Orleans (search) earned particular sympathy in central Europe, where dozens died in raging floodwaters only days ago.

"Nature proved that no matter how rich and economically developed you are, you can't fight it," says Danut Afasei, a local official in Romania's Harghita county, where flooding killed 13 people last week.

Throughout Europe, concerned citizens lamented the loss of life and the damage caused to New Orleans, often described as one of North America's most "European" cities.

French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder sent messages of sympathy to President Bush. Chirac, who has famously quarreled with Bush over the Iraq war, addressed this letter, "Dear George."

Pope Benedict XVI said he was praying for victims of the "tragic" hurricane while China's President Hu Jintao expressed his "belief that that the American people will definitely overcome the natural disaster and rebuild their beautiful homeland."

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II also sent a message to Bush saying she was "deeply shocked and saddened" at the devastation caused by the hurricane and expressing her condolences, "especially to the families of those who have lost their lives, to the injured and to all who have been affected by this terrible disaster."

The U.S. Embassy in Bern, Switzerland a capital at the foot of the Alps hit by flooding last week said calls were rushing in from Swiss individuals and institutions looking for a way to donate to relief efforts.

"We are getting calls from the Swiss public looking to express their condolences, (and) people are also asking for an account number where they can make donations," said spokesman Daniel Wendell.

The Internet-edition Vienna daily Der Standard had recorded 820 postings commenting on a front-page story on the hurricane. In one of the postings, signature "Emerald" asked where money could be donated to the victims, but the question sparked a debate about whether a rich country like the United States needed such aid.

In response, one posting, from signature "far out," argued that hurricane victims who are poor still needed support.

Amid the sympathy, however, there was criticism.

As U.S. military engineers struggled to shore up breached levees, experts in the Netherlands expressed surprise that New Orleans' flood systems failed to restrain the raging waters.

With half of the country's population of 16 million living below sea level, the Netherlands prepared for a "perfect storm" soon after floods in 1953 killed 2,000 people. The nation installed massive hydraulic sea walls.

"I don't want to sound overly critical, but it's hard to imagine that (the damage caused by Katrina) could happen in a Western country," said Ted Sluijter, spokesman for the park where the sea walls are exhibited. "It seemed like plans for protection and evacuation weren't really in place, and once it happened, the coordination was on loose hinges."

The sympathy was muted in some corners by a sense that the United States reaped what it sowed, since the country is seen as the main contributor to global warming.

Joern Ehlers, a spokesman for World Wildlife Fund Germany, said global warming had increased the intensity of hurricanes.

"The Americans have a big impact on the greenhouse effect," Ehlers said.

But Harlan L. Watson, the U.S. envoy for negotiations on climate change, denied any link between global warming and the strength of storms.

"Our scientists are telling us right now that there's not a linkage," he said in Geneva. "I'll rely on their information."

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Regular

Re: World Reacts to Katrina

Quote:
French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder sent messages of sympathy to President Bush. Chirac, who has famously quarreled with Bush over the Iraq war, addressed this letter, "Dear George."
That's it?

Thanks for nothing you stupid ****ers.

Reddit
Old 08-31-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

they need to send some ****ing oil our way.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Well, a couple of countries (Germany and England I believe) have offered help if asked. I don't give a **** if any other country comes to our aid. Stay out really. What I have issue with is why aren't our celebs jumping to the front saying "Here's my money for help." or asking what they can do to help. Lots of money and food and other supplies are needed around here (here being all affected areas). They sure jumped for the sunami. Why not this on their own home ground?

Oh, and I found it kind of funny that the dems (Kennedy) blamed bush for this too. Yes, it is all his fault. He didn't put giant fans in the gulf to generate wind sheer to weaken the winds.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
they need to send some ****ing oil our way.
No, they need to send us refined gasoline...not oil. We can't refine more oil. We need it pre-refined for us.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
Regular

Honestly NO was not ready for this like they should be.

They knew it was going to happen sooner or later and they never did anything about it... they knew a direct hit from a category 5 hurrican would destroy the city.. literally.

The Netherlands is below sea level.. 16 Million people below Sea level. They have taken the necessary means to protect themselves should something like this happen to them... NO simply did not and they have paid the ultimate price.

If it is Bush's fault then its Clinton's fault as well because no one before Bush thought it necessary to secure the levees.

Reddit
Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

you know what I mean.

and pogs, I need to start my collection of pogs again.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 PM   #8
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
No, they need to send us refined gasoline...not oil. We can't refine more oil. We need it pre-refined for us.
Ding Ding!

Thanks to PETA and every other stupid tree hugging enviro wacko in this ****ing country that havent allowed us to build oil refineries since 1973 despite the fact that we have increased our oil consuption ten fold we now pay 3.00 a gallon for gas within a ****ty economy... now add a city of 1.3 million destroyed, two wars, and Airlines still going bankrupt, striking and what do you get?

One hell of a recession/depression heading our way.

Didn't honestly think it would come to this but unless Bush, Congress stop being ******* and looking out for themselves then this problem is only going to get worst.

I honestly can not wait to get my new site out in public, I have so much to do to it with so much information to add but its going to be worth it in the end. Maybe it will open peoples eyes to just how ****ed up our government is.

Reddit
Old 08-31-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

i doubt well get any aid whatsoever. which is fine by me. **** the rest of the world, we dont need their pity.

and celebs dont give 2 ****s about america, hell they bash it every chance they get. the last thing we need is another live aid for the NO victims, just so they can turn it into a anti-bush fest.

and dont you just love how everything is bush's fault. gas goes up, bushs fault. i mean seriously, you think he wakes up and says "hrm, i think ill raise gas prices today". like stated above, if it werent for certain ****tard groups, wed have our own refineries and wouldnt be paying 3.00+ a gallon.

sadly though i think NO will be uninhabitable for possibly the next 6 months, and it wont be at least a decade till the city is remotely back to normal. every house that has been touched by water WILL be dozed. every high rise will have to be renovated. every inch of the city will have to be decontaminated. and thats just NO, not to mention Biloxi and the surrounding areas that are seeing 90% losses.

if it were me, id just say **** it. everyone that lived in NO can find somewhere else to live. bulldoze everything and start over from scratch.

and you know what would really suck right now for the US economy, if the big one hit cali. everything happens in 3's. Tsunami, Katrina, Biggie. just food for thought.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to V6STANG007 Send a message via Yahoo to V6STANG007

I gotta say I am surprised by venezuela's reaction, offering aid and oil.
There is something definetly wrong with the way we are aproaching potential problems though. I mean we where aware of the terrorist threat before 9/11 but nothing drastic was done about it until after we got hit. Same here with New Orleans. they were well aware of the devastation a hurricane of this magnitude would cause, I bet know that the city has been completly destroyed they will protect it better when they rebuild. We need to start acting before the fact not reacting after its too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
OK you are right!!! Maybe I am the Old Crazy One
V6STANG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:32 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
if it were me, id just say **** it. everyone that lived in NO can find somewhere else to live. bulldoze everything and start over from scratch.
its not that easy

around here, theyre building more and more housing, housing that is 450K and up, so are these people, who have lost everything from NO going to be able to buy a house and start over? how different would that be if they cleaned up and salvaged everything they could and rebuilt on the property they already own?

the thing with NO, everyone dragged their ***, as soon as i heard the storm was up to category 4, i woulda been outa there, spent the day packing anything of value, finding someones house to crash at, brought my dog, and did everything i could to be able to have my life at a remote location, so many people waited for the day before the storm to pack and leave, causing people to not make it out, get stranded, lose lives, and if they lived through it, lose everything else in their life
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:33 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

and as far as aid. If we receive nothing from other countries, we will still overcome this. We just need to stick together.
and with that in mind, here is a link to the redcross:
http://www.redcross.org/
every penny helps

Quote:
Old 08-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6STANG007
I gotta say I am surprised by venezuela's reaction, offering aid and oil.
There is something definetly wrong with the way we are aproaching potential problems though. I mean we where aware of the terrorist threat before 9/11 but nothing drastic was done about it until after we got hit. Same here with New Orleans. they were well aware of the devastation a hurricane of this magnitude would cause, I bet know that the city has been completly destroyed they will protect it better when they rebuild. We need to start acting before the fact not reacting after its too late.
We have always been a re-active nation and not a pro-active one. The one thing we do in a pro-active manner gets slammed daily in the media. (Iraq)

I do agree with the netherlands though on their statement about how can this happen here? Why wouldn't you prep for the "perfect storm" instead of preparing for the "average storm"? Seems silly to protect against a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 5. I know it is driven by money, but still, how much would it have saved had it been ready for a Cat 5? This clean up is going to cost billions. Much much much more than it would have cost back when the system was implemented.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
Seems silly to protect against a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 5. I know it is driven by money, but still, how much would it have saved had it been ready for a Cat 5? This clean up is going to cost billions. Much much much more than it would have cost back when the system was implemented.
just like building cars

"ill just skim by on some stock cast pistons when i turbo the car, and prepair for a rebuild later...oops...i threw a rod through my block"

spend more money the first time, and not need to spend it again
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:47 PM   #15
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

They aren't going to help us. I seriously expected this:

"The world's reaction to Katrina:

"
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon

it really bothers me how we help out other countries so much, take the tsunami for example we sent everything over to help. now when we have a serious crisis, the rest of the world may send there condolences via letter or phone or whatever, but what else are they helping with?
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:37 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

YAY!!!!! LETTERS!!!!!!

thanks you ****tards :fu3:
Old 08-31-2005, 07:26 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24

Yep, we won't get jack from anybody and shouldn't expect to. it would be nice if we would stop sending so much aid to countries that hate us.

Then there's the frigging libs that are blaming bush for a hurricane. That has to be just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.... "bush created a big hurricane machine out in the middle of the ocean" Maybe we will finally get the clue and start drilling for our own oil instead of depending on all of these hostile countries for our supply... But I'm not holding my breath.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:43 PM   #19
I liek gramer
Legacy

^ For the billionth time. () We don't need oil. We need refined oil. We need more refineries. But stupid tree huggers don't want us drilling OR refining.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:46 PM   #20
lex

Region: Canada

i agree with all of you, regarding the oil and aid. and yes I'm Canadian
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #21
I liek gramer
Legacy

mg:

Did you just get lost up there and decide to stay?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

nobody's commented on how retarded the global warming accusation is. global warming itself is unproven, and if global warming is occuring thats a GOOD thing in regards to hurricanes.

http://www.techcentralstation.com/091404D.html

"And there is no reason to expect increases in hurricanes due to greenhouse warming. Climate models, for all their problems, are unanimous in at least one respect: they predict that most of the future warming will be in high latitudes, in the polar regions. This will reduce the north-south temperature gradient and make poleward transfer of heat less vigorous -- a task in which tropical storms play a major role. All other things being equal, a warmer world should have fewer, not more, hurricanes."

****ing global warming is just a political football.
Kenne Bell SC w/ intercooler, 90mm maf, mac cai, 70mm throttle body, 3:73 gears, Kenne Bell performance chip
99CobraVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:18 PM   #23
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
mg:

Did you just get lost up there and decide to stay?
LMFAO

Oh god havent laughed that hard in awhile

Reddit
Old 08-31-2005, 08:29 PM   #24
Regular

You know this just pisses me off with Bush tapping our oil reserves. Leave them the **** alone and grow some balls and pass legislation allowing the building of oil refineries in America!

I agree with the Democrats on ANWR, it was stupid to first put up legislation to drill in ANWR when we cant even refine the oil we have now.

But these same stupid Democrats are the ones not allowing us to build more refineries because they have to take the side of the retarded hippies so they can get their oh so important vote come election time.

It is just ludacris how we allow the government to be so stupid with our money, oil, way of life....

Reddit
Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Let's discuss global warming.

It is aproven fact that Both Venus and Mars are warming, as is earth.

Them ****ing American's use of fossil fuels is ****ing up Mars and Venus.

Right.

Go **** yourselves left wing dick heads.

You people want a change? Then YOU grow some balls and start protesting the idiocy of the left wing fruitcakes.

All politicians listen to is the last ******* to holler the loudest.

Be that *******.

Come join me.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:48 PM   #26
Regular

Its not just the left....

Reddit
Old 09-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well, I am all about saving the environment and I have hugged my share of trees
If we destroy the environment we can't survive. But there has to be a balance, we can't put the country in a situation where we are paying over $3 a gallon for gas. Like I said there has to be a balance, we do need more refineries. Maybe since we are a "re-active" nation we will look into building these refineries after this gas price fiasco. I just don't get why we have to wait for the worst to happen before we do something about it.

Quote:
Old 09-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Its not just the left....

Ok, show me where the right has put us into this hole.

As for balance, yeah, right, show me where the left has ever shown a balance in anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #29
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
Ok, show me where the right has put us into this hole.

As for balance, yeah, right, show me where the left has ever shown a balance in anything.
Show me where the right has fixed the problems we are in right now. You know, they do have complete control over the Senate and House and Presidency. (Oh since 2002)

Instead of passing legislation to build new refineries we are passing legislation to drill in Alaska which will do no good what so ever.

So the left is not 100% responsible for our problems if the current right wing that is in control refuses to fix it.

Reddit
Old 09-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #30
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dom

But didn't the EPA just lower the standards too?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #31
I liek gramer
Legacy

Yeah, for a while.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

i guess since republicans have been in office since 2002, everything thats wrong today is their fault. and drilling for new oil wont do us any good? it will too. yeah refineries are crucial and we need more, but to say we dont need to drill for oil in anwar would only be correct if we werent getting oil from the middle east. for our national security we need our own sources of oil as well.
Kenne Bell SC w/ intercooler, 90mm maf, mac cai, 70mm throttle body, 3:73 gears, Kenne Bell performance chip
99CobraVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Anwar does nothing for the immediate problem or for the near future. The damn oil companies are making record profits and they wont build new refinerys simply because they dont want to. Over 9,000,000,000 profit for exxon just over the last 4 months, why should they worry about it. With oil tight they are making billions and are paying republicans and democrates alike to do nothing and not force them to do so. You want to see a true reversal of current oil companies greed. Get the fed government to tax there profits and watch the national debt go away and them clamoring to build new refinerys. But what will happen is the oil companies will ***** about how much a refinery cost to build and the Feds will give them tax break to do it and the oil companies will laugh all the way to the bank.

I say lets force a economic slow down. So driving unless necessary, Stop buying stuff you absolutely dont need, dont spend a dime you dont have to especially this labor day and let the retailers, hotels, theme parks, vacation destinations, airlines start raising hell. Let the economy come down to a crawl then gasoline will come down and only then. We as consumers can fight back with our wallets
Old 09-01-2005, 09:51 PM   #34
I liek gramer
Legacy

Good luck telling that to the guy at the gas station today who filled up 15 10 gallon cans with gas.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:58 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
Good luck telling that to the guy at the gas station today who filled up 15 10 gallon cans with gas.
I say club him and take his gas. Hording mother F***ers are causing the gas station outages. There is no shortage of oil. They said there would be a slowdown in production but not a stop. Today they announced the pipeline that caused the run on gas was back up to 35-40% and with the oil reserves being temp open they will be up to 85-90% until the trefinery's are back up operating in NO in a week or two

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar