Friend just bought an Evo 8 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Friend just bought an Evo 8

DAMN!

It's white, 70 miles on it, got it for 33 grand. 2005 model of course.

He did his first mod to it, got a shorter antenna He wants to put gauges in it next and do some nice interior work because the interior is crap. Then he'll do performance stuff. He came by after he waxed it and let my brother and my dad feel how it is to ride in one of those.

Fun car, I wouldn't mind having one.. but I'd still get a Cobra. I'm not a drifting man..

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Friend just bought an Evo 8

nice.. for 33 grand id get a cobra though..maybe 2 older ones :-p

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:05 AM   #3
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Evo's arent really for drifting... lol

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 01:54 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well that's what he's using it for

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:12 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

yeah ummmmm................... you cant really drift a awd. it might get sideways for a second or two, but itll grip pretty quick. even pretty well built evo's cant drift. mitsu's awd system kicks ***. even my buddy(username182) 1g awd or 2g awd had a hard time getting loose in the rain, and his 2g was at least 300hp(evo status).

yep i predict it wont be long before that evo is either blown up from him overboosting and thinking the factory boost gauge displays actual boost, or itll be wrapped around a tree.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:32 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

He does a lot of the canyon runs around here (illegal illegal illegal). Going up around the hills here and driving like 60-65 down them where all the twists and all are at. He's still scared of the car though So he's taking it easy.

I talked to him tonight, he said he was going to change the oil, get this magnet thing for the oil pan (no idea what he was talk'n about there), and get the boost gauge and oil gauge.

He also commented on how he thinks his car isn't fast enough now I'm like, **** man if I super charged my Mustang I'd be as fast as he would be so be grateful! So now he's thinking about buying this $200-400 programing chip that will give him 20 hp instantly. And if he needs to take it back to the dealership, press the "Default" button and everything goes back to normal.

If I had an STi, it'd be the Subaru Blue color, and my Evo 8 would be all black. But I like Monkey's car color too!

Old 09-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

I can't wait for the "UPDATED" part of this thread... it will say something like this:
"Buddy was drifting and blew his transfer case. Gonna cost him almost $3000 to fix it." That will be a fun one. Evo's don't drift. You will ruin the drivetrain, and the transfer case is $2400 from mitsu. Clutch install is $600-900 depending on where and how good they are (That is just labor for the clutch install.)

What interior stuff does he want to do? It's not that bad. It's a lancer's interior, but it's function over form on the Evo.

Oh, and there are no "chips" for the evo. Whatever he is talking about, tell him it's a scam. No one on the evo boards has a chip. It's all reflashed computers. And he can get 20whp from a cat-back system and it's still legal w/ the warrenty

My color was exclusive to 2003/4. They came out with a different blue for 2005 that almost changes to purple in different light angles. Looks sweet.

Tell your buddy to register on here and PM me. Or check out www.evolutionm.net
Old 09-06-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

What's the numbers on the new evos? I have a friend that just got one..looks like crap compared to the evo8's, but still not a bad car.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

there are only evo8s in the US. The 9s are not out yet.

The 2005s have 276bhp
Old 09-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

All I know is the one I saw looks totally different from yours...
Our's:
Old 09-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
All I know is the one I saw looks totally different from yours...
I have an aftermarket front bumper.
Photos of USDM evo8 here

evo9
Comes out in Oct. and it looks almost identical except for very small changes and a new front bumper.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Oh snap, I feel stupid now, what I saw was the new Subaru WRX...ignore me, I'm going back into my business law book.
Our's:
Old 09-06-2005, 11:43 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Clutch install is $600-900 depending on where and how good they are (That is just labor for the clutch install.)
mother of god, where are you getting that from?

you can get act clutches(2100 and 2600) for around 350, and the most ive ever seen charged on a awd(cause more is involved cause of the t-case) is 400 for a install(given you supply the clutch, which is better anyways)

brandon, ive been hearing alot of people are doing dsmlink in the evo's now, theres quite a bit involved but its worth it. you should look into it. best thing i ever did for my car.

and seph, tell your freind canyon racing is stupid and he needs to grow up. tell him to give the evo to someone who will treat it with respect and do things right, and tell him to buy a "mad tyte jdm 240" and he can do all the drifting he wants.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I dont like the looks of them... and dont like 4 doors.... the performance is not bad.... for the money I just couldnt do it... not my thing; however they are nice cars.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
I dont like the looks of them... and dont like 4 doors.... the performance is not bad.... for the money I just couldnt do it... not my thing; however they are nice cars.
x2
Old 09-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

I believe everyone has to admit that these are nice cars. A 4cyl car with almost 300 hp? Tune it and add a few mods and you've got that sucker over 300 easy.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #17
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
x3

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
I believe everyone has to admit that these are nice cars. A 4cyl car with almost 300 hp? Tune it and add a few mods and you've got that sucker over 300 easy.
yeah the best part is the turbo is very capible of making enough power for 90% of evo owners. the stock fuel system is very stout also. 2 things i wish my 2g had from the get-go.

if it wasnt a 4dr i would get one. but after being in the dsm world, theyre still too expensive, and you can get a 1g awd in ok condition for ~2k, slap 3k into mods and run 11's easily, and still be under the limits of the 4g63.

but im done with the turbo thing. i like having power there when i want it, and not have to wait for it. its nice for when you want to race, cause the power is all up top past 4k where you want it. but daily driving, having a turbo makes for a sluggish feeling car. plus the bov gets annoying after about the first week, and all the little ricer kiddies flocking to your car asking if you got nawss and where the body kit is and park bench is gets annoying too.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

LOL

So what are you going to do with your GT?

Old 09-07-2005, 10:35 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
mother of god, where are you getting that from?

you can get act clutches(2100 and 2600) for around 350, and the most ive ever seen charged on a awd(cause more is involved cause of the t-case) is 400 for a install(given you supply the clutch, which is better anyways)

brandon, ive been hearing alot of people are doing dsmlink in the evo's now, theres quite a bit involved but its worth it. you should look into it. best thing i ever did for my car.

and seph, tell your freind canyon racing is stupid and he needs to grow up. tell him to give the evo to someone who will treat it with respect and do things right, and tell him to buy a "mad tyte jdm 240" and he can do all the drifting he wants.
ACT for my car is in the $450s. I don't know what the difference is, but there is one.

I have been quoted by the only shop in Dallas I trust doing the clutch swap at around $600. I guess it is a different awd setup? Some people get it done at the dealership and get charged around $900.

I haven't read too much about DSMlink. Is it stand-alone?

As for the turbo -- I have enough torque off the turbo that my car is fine to drive in daily traffic. I drive it every day 20mi to work and 20mi back. half the time in stop-and-go traffic.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:30 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

dsmlink is like right under standalone. it uses the stock ecu, but has amlost all the controllable paramaters like aem does, minus the ability to monitor pitch, yaw and rotational momentum...........(yeah sorry for the bad joke). i havent looked into it all that much, but i believe it involves some modification of the wiring harness and lets the evo run on the 95 eprom ecu from a 95 gsx/gst.

and your awd system is basically the same as 90-99 dsm's, aside from a few changes in the t-case and diffs to make them more stout, youre basically a 4dr 90-99 gsx with the engine switched backwards.

the GT will be mostly stock performance wise. aside from 4.1's, intake, exhaust(mac o/r h-pipe and spintech side exit), underdrive pulleys and sct tuner, nothing major is going into it. outside, a full roush stage3 kit with side exhaust(actually spintech mufflers with roush tips, sounds better than a roush anyways), C-springs to lower it bout a inch, and deep dish bullitts out back. i might switch the bullitts over to the chrome ones, but well see. interior will be a MGW short throw(orange one), bullitt shift knob, some billet accessories(but nothing over the top). i might need to get a new mach deck cause mine is possessed. i know i want to stick with the mach deck cause i like it since its a 6disc in dash and sounds good enough for my needs. might make a nice little custom box for a couple 10's, again nothin too fancy.

the GT is already pretty fast. it lacks the top end pull the gst had from the turbo, but it makes up for it down low where the gst lacked horribly. i think with what i listed above, it should pep it up quite a bit. but i dont want to do too much cause i want to maintain its reliability for going back and forth between central cali and san diego(girl is moving there, so the gt will see lots of long trips more than likely)

Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
any car in the $30k+ range is a "nice car". I still think they are ugly. I just prefer a v8 to a I4.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar