Descramblers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2003, 09:59 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to 1Slow6er
Descramblers

Anyone know about cable descramblers? Are they worth it? Do they work?
I was browsing on a few web sites and they all say that there not illegal as long as you tell your cable provider you have one.
1Slow6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2003, 10:04 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Its not illegal to have, but its illegal to run the cable companies cable into that box.
Some cable companies pay people to go on routes , and see if there is a cable connection on the outside of the house. If its not on their list, the disconnect it, and report you.
I would look into that more.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:10 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to 1Slow6er
we already have cable but i wanted to get it for PPV movies, HBO....
1Slow6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2003, 12:04 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Slow6er
we already have cable but i wanted to get it for PPV movies, HBO....
If you are a suscriber to cable, depending on how much this box is, it may be worth just trying it seeing if it works.. i really woudlnt tell the cable company though.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:45 AM   #5
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
I've heard that [urban legend] cable companies send out 'commercials' that legally paying customers systems filter out. These commercials are for customer appreciation giveaways. Sometimes it's a t-shirt, or maybe tickets to the movies or something. Anyway, it directs you to call the cable company, and you give them your name and address, and they know that the only people who can see these commercials are people who have these unauthorized descramblers, and they fine you, or throw you in jail, or beat your dog, or something.

I know this is true because a friend of my brothers cousin said his neighbors uncle had one and this actually happened to him. (sorry, I had to throw that in there ) [/urban legend]
Old 05-13-2003, 06:23 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to matt0239
"Yes, descramblers may be owned and operated legally, but they can also be operated illegally. Under US Federal Law, cable customers have the right to own and operate their own cable equipment, providing that equipment is compatible with the cable system. The descrambler must only be capable of descrambling those cable channels and programs that have been paid for and are authorized for reception by the cable system's operators. The unauthorized reception of cable programming is against the law and can carry stiff penalties and fines for anyone found to be violating the law. As the purchaser of a descrambler, you are responsible for informing you cable system's operators of your intention to own and operate your own equipment and you must inform the operators concerning all the programming that your descrambler is capable of receiving so you may then pay for that programming. Some descrambler manufacturers and distributors can pre-program your descrambler to only be capable of receiving those channels that you are authorized to receive, and most descramblers are programmable by the customer so they will exclude all unauthorized programming."

if they tell you it is illegal to merely own one while still purchasing their programming (not stealing) then they are breaking the law
matt0239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar