what's faster, modded V6 or stock GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq
what's faster, modded V6 or stock GT?

Ok say theres a NA 4.2L V6 putting out the same amount of HP and trq as a basic 99+ GT. Assume both drivers have the same experience and everything. what do you guys think would be faster? in the quarter mile and just in general. the 6 is working harder to make the power of the GT, but what do you all think would be faster in your opinion?
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
Re: what's faster, modded V6 or stock GT?

it depends on whats done to the stroker

you can put a 4.2L rotating assembly under a stock set of heads and intakes, and put down maybe 10 more hp, but a bit more torque, or you can go wild and put down a serious number

than, and every engine build, regardless of parts, does not net the same power numbers, its all relative
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

If you are talking about putting a v6 versus a gt with the same power, same driver, same conditions, the v6 will win b/c simple weight. The v6 weighs less than the GT under the same conditions.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

lowflyn is right.

What's done to the V6 doesn't really matter. Nor does how "hard" the engine is working.

It's all about TQ and HP, if they are the same and all else is the same then whomever weighs less wins.

HOWEVER, you will rarely find a smaller displacement engine that makes the same PEAK hp/tq numbers as a larger displacement engine win if the weight is also the same. Why? Power under the curve or to make it easier to understand average power. While peak numbers might be the same the average numbers will almost always favor the larger engine and that is what will beat the smaller engine. Because the engine spends more of it's time at other than peak power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

drivers race.

my buddy has a 95 5.0(username182) and we raced a 03/04 cobra from a stop. it wasnt until 3rd gear that the cobra started to catch up. that is because my buddy is a super insane excellent driver, while the cobra guy has to rely on his sheer power to gain an advantage, and even then, it took a while.

then again a stock GT isnt much to gloat about. i laugh at all the people "omg i beat a GT omg my honduh is teh own". theres a guy on my dsm board who went nuts cause he beat a GT, and his mod list was the same as my eclipses, though he had a full dyno tune and water/alchy injection running 25psi. i was like "wow, thats it, just a GT, i mean, cmon dude, 400hp and you are gloating over a GT with flomasters?". sad part, he didnt even win by that much. he said around 3 cars by the time he went into 4th(which is around the 100ish mark). imo if that gt had more things done than just exhaust, it prolly would have kept up.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:19 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
drivers race.

my buddy has a 95 5.0(username182) and we raced a 03/04 cobra from a stop. it wasnt until 3rd gear that the cobra started to catch up. that is because my buddy is a super insane excellent driver, while the cobra guy has to rely on his sheer power to gain an advantage, and even then, it took a while.

then again a stock GT isnt much to gloat about. i laugh at all the people "omg i beat a GT omg my honduh is teh own". theres a guy on my dsm board who went nuts cause he beat a GT, and his mod list was the same as my eclipses, though he had a full dyno tune and water/alchy injection running 25psi. i was like "wow, thats it, just a GT, i mean, cmon dude, 400hp and you are gloating over a GT with flomasters?". sad part, he didnt even win by that much. he said around 3 cars by the time he went into 4th(which is around the 100ish mark). imo if that gt had more things done than just exhaust, it prolly would have kept up.
And the gt is alot more reliable
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #7
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom

Also depends if the six is single or split port. Single is gonna have some stuff done to run with a 99GT.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
And the gt is alot more reliable
eh, again, its all about the owner and how the car is maintained. you could beat the **** out of a stock GT and then call it unreliable when it breaks, or you could baby a modded dsm and it could be the most reliable car you have.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
eh, again, its all about the owner and how the car is maintained. you could beat the **** out of a stock GT and then call it unreliable when it breaks, or you could baby a modded dsm and it could be the most reliable car you have.
yea i was reading in my auto book about how people turn off their car right away after racing around and the hot oil just sits on the rear bearing at like 400+ degrees. i assume they didn't have a turbo timer or anything, but yea it depends on the upkeep of the whole turbo system.

with the 6 and the 8, it was just a random question assuming both cars were equal power and everything. i have weird (different) thoughts when i'm tired. lol
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:33 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion

Are these questions about my car???

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:47 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq
yea i was reading in my auto book about how people turn off their car right away after racing around and the hot oil just sits on the rear bearing at like 400+ degrees. i assume they didn't have a turbo timer or anything, but yea it depends on the upkeep of the whole turbo system.
not necessarily that. i never turbo timed my car. mitsu turbos are oil and water cooled. so if you drive agressive all night, but still drive 10 minutes with a light foot home, it will be cooled off by then. only time i waited to turn the car off was at the track. its bad if you, say, do a run, then come to the pits and just turn the car off. especially with larger turbos that are only oil cooled, then the oil will bake inside the turbo, and itll fry soon after its started up next from lack of lubrication.

im talking ghetto, people that vent their BOV's(when venting, the air thats usually recirculated is alread accounted for by the ecu, take that air away, and you run majorly rich during shifts), people that run 20psi with no fuel system to back it, and people that generally drive their cars like total maniacs, always going full throttle to impress whoever they think theyre trying to impress, at the same time failing to do regular maintenance, then saying its a POS car, when its their fault, not the manufacturers.

Old 09-24-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

run faster than a 14.0-14.2 and you are as fast if not faster than an average stock 99 up gt.... thats the BEST way to determine it if you must....
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar