Home construction question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Home construction question

Ok, I am going to be helping a friend build a screened in porch onto his new home but I have a question about it for anyone experienced with such things. I have built additions onto homes before as well as porches, but they were all back in NY. We don't have hurricanes in NY. So, my question is this. What would be the best way to attach the roof to the existing house so that it would be relatively hurricane proof? In NY, we would just attach a double 2x12 header to the house and attach the roof to that via joice hangers. I am not sure how wind proof that would be in relation to the storms that we can get here.

The parish I will be doing this in does not have hardly any building codes, so they don't give two ****s how it is attached so they are no help. This structure will have 3 open walls that are just studs and screen. My concern is if the wind were to hit the house and lift the roof up since it will just stick out into the open back yard with no trees or building serving as a wind break.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Home construction question

On a related note, does anyone have any blueprint software?
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

The make hurricane straps to tie the limber together. You may wish to look at Florida building codes for direction in hurricane proofing your addition.

As for blueprint software, I tried a couple of free versions but I find it easier, simpler and more enjoyable to simple bust out my drafting stuff and draw it up myself. Back when I took drafting CAD/CAM was a gleam in some geeks eye and we used pencil and paper, along with a T square, and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Yeah, I have graph paper at home that I typically use. I was just looking for something to print out a plan for when we get the building permit. My writing leaves a lot to be desired. lol. I will check into the florida codes.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I would recommend scabbing into the roof joists already in place if you really want to make this thing stand up to the weather. That would involve cutting away the whole rain drip section and scabbing into it. It will take some work, but it won't just pull away from the house like a 2x12 just tagged onto the house will do.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
I would recommend scabbing into the roof joists already in place if you really want to make this thing stand up to the weather. That would involve cutting away the whole rain drip section and scabbing into it. It will take some work, but it won't just pull away from the house like a 2x12 just tagged onto the house will do.
I figure the 2x12 thing isn't going to be the answer like it was in NY. However, to scab into the roof would give the screen room a 25 foot rise over 22 feet. Needless to say, that would be an interesting looking roof. lol.

See, he has a 2 story which is what makes this question come up. I should have mentioned that earlier. The roof of the screen porch is only planed to have a 2 foot rise. This will bring the top of the roof to about a foot below his second story windows. This is what leads to my dilema of attaching the roof to the house without risk of ripping off.

What I am thinking the answer is, is to run the header like I mentioned and then make super sure the eve end of the roof is securely attached and that the walls are securely attached to the slab. This is the best way I can think of to prevent lift on the roof. I have read about some sort of hurricane straps for the even end of your roof. What do you think?
Old 10-07-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Hm...I really have no idea bout hurricane straps, never used them before in my life. I'd go talk to someone at like lowe's or something that has a good knowledge about the stuff. And yeh...being a 2nd story, that's a completely different story.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar