possibly going back across the pond - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
possibly going back across the pond

Well this morning I was sitting in the usual, boring ole meeting like every other day when something caught my attention. AMC has been asking for flight crews to go back overseas. Well looks like they will be asking for Maintenance here soon too. So myself, my room mate, and the Iso Dock Chief are all volunteering to go back over to the Desert. Something I am not sure of happening or not. No definite one way or the other as of yet. Don't even know of a location. Pretty much been told anywhere there is a C-130 we can go. So Al Udeid, Saleem, K2 (if it is still up and running), Bagram, Afghanistan, Iraq, where ever they are. Probably a 4 month tour this time. Im gonna see what I can do to get at least a 6 month tour if we are gonna go. Going to get to continue doing what I joined to do hopefully. This trip up to D.C. got to me I suppose. Don't like just sitting here while my fellow members are suffering. Just doesn't feel right. So I wanted to let my internet family know since y'all supported me through the last one. Also so it doesn't come as a shock to everyone when my orders just randomly show up saying you are going now. Couldn't do that to you all.

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: possibly going back across the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrATEX
Well this morning I was sitting in the usual, boring ole meeting like every other day when something caught my attention. AMC has been asking for flight crews to go back overseas. Well looks like they will be asking for Maintenance here soon too. So myself, my room mate, and the Iso Dock Chief are all volunteering to go back over to the Desert. Something I am not sure of happening or not. No definite one way or the other as of yet. Don't even know of a location. Pretty much been told anywhere there is a C-130 we can go. So Al Udeid, Saleem, K2 (if it is still up and running), Bagram, Afghanistan, Iraq, where ever they are. Probably a 4 month tour this time. Im gonna see what I can do to get at least a 6 month tour if we are gonna go. Going to get to continue doing what I joined to do hopefully. This trip up to D.C. got to me I suppose. Don't like just sitting here while my fellow members are suffering. Just doesn't feel right. So I wanted to let my internet family know since y'all supported me through the last one. Also so it doesn't come as a shock to everyone when my orders just randomly show up saying you are going now. Couldn't do that to you all.
I admire you man, I wish I could do what you do. Good luck and be safe man!

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

that is awesome. thanks for your voluntary service :patriot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

You just want that tax free money and combat pay, dont ya?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

I am sure I have told you this before Tex, but thanks for serving our nation.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Man I wanna join the A.F. to help you guys out..

I wouldn't mind being a pilot either (I think it'd be quite awesome) but my vision isn't perfect its like 20/17
Old 10-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
Man I wanna join the A.F. to help you guys out..

I wouldn't mind being a pilot either (I think it'd be quite awesome) but my vision isn't perfect its like 20/17
couple things.
1) 20/17 is better than 20/20. You need 20/40 to be a pilot, and corrected vision to 20/20.
2) To enter the A.F. as a pilot right now, you need to already be licensed and have logged quite a few flight hours. You also need a college degree and then go thru the whole application process. Right now I'm at about 13mos worth of application process.

Hopefully I'll be at Maxwell with SrATEX here soon
Old 10-20-2005, 06:14 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

thanks guys. Hey thats awesome. Going through OTS? that means you are going to be a one of those cadets i laugh at. When you graduate gotta hit me up.

Supermotors

Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

:patriot:

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:01 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
thanks guys. Hey thats awesome. Going through OTS? that means you are going to be a one of those cadets i laugh at. When you graduate gotta hit me up.
yup, if I ever get re-qualified. They waited 6mos to tell me my old glasses weren't good enough to correct me to 20/20 and I have to get new ones or I lose my spot at OTS.

But yes, for 12 weeks, feel free to laugh at me. I'll be a peon. But after about 6 weeks (when I have weekends and such off, supposedly) we can hang out.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

Quote:
When I had one of my interviews for the academy a couple weeks ago, my ALO told me if your corrected vision can be 20/20, you can fly...it doesn't really matter for me b/c my uncorrected is 20/15, but i found that suprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:57 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

i applied for the Academy and they just laughed at me.

yeah its something like that. I see the cadets running around all the time. Suppose to be your basic training and you get the liberties of my tech school. BS is what i call.

One piece of advice, when you put that butter bar on, DO NOT, tell some enlisted person that you would make a chief salute you. You will just get laughed at and many of other things. Also...dont forget about the Enlisted, officers may lead us, but we are the back bone of the Air Force. Take care of your troops and they will take care of you.

Supermotors

Old 10-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
couple things.
1) 20/17 is better than 20/20. You need 20/40 to be a pilot, and corrected vision to 20/20.
2) To enter the A.F. as a pilot right now, you need to already be licensed and have logged quite a few flight hours. You also need a college degree and then go thru the whole application process. Right now I'm at about 13mos worth of application process.

Hopefully I'll be at Maxwell with SrATEX here soon

I have a license, have had it since I was 18.. 500+ hours.. mostly in a cessna 185..
have an associates degree..
Old 10-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
yeah its something like that. I see the cadets running around all the time. Suppose to be your basic training and you get the liberties of my tech school. BS is what i call.

One piece of advice, when you put that butter bar on, DO NOT, tell some enlisted person that you would make a chief salute you. You will just get laughed at and many of other things. Also...dont forget about the Enlisted, officers may lead us, but we are the back bone of the Air Force. Take care of your troops and they will take care of you.
Don't worry. I already know that that butter bar is lower than an E-1 in respect. I have no ambition to tell someone who has been doing the same job for 10yrs how to do it when I have no idea how. For the first 2yrs, my philosophy will be "Enlisted will teach me, but the decision and blame falls on me"

I had a friend in the army and he basically told me how quite a few LTs come in thinking they are hot **** and no one respects them, and their enlisted guys try to sabotage them. Not what I want.

Quote:
I have a license, have had it since I was 18.. 500+ hours.. mostly in a cessna 185..
have an associates degree..
that's cool then
you need a bachelor's
Old 10-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleUSAF
When I had one of my interviews for the academy a couple weeks ago, my ALO told me if your corrected vision can be 20/20, you can fly...it doesn't really matter for me b/c my uncorrected is 20/15, but i found that suprising.
No. your ALO does not have the facts.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjo...ilotvision.htm
pilot - 20/70 uncorrected 20/20 corrected
nav - 20/200 uncorrected 20/20 corrected.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:14 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Don't worry. I already know that that butter bar is lower than an E-1 in respect. I have no ambition to tell someone who has been doing the same job for 10yrs how to do it when I have no idea how. For the first 2yrs, my philosophy will be "Enlisted will teach me, but the decision and blame falls on me"

I had a friend in the army and he basically told me how quite a few LTs come in thinking they are hot **** and no one respects them, and their enlisted guys try to sabotage them. Not what I want.

that's cool then
you need a bachelor's
very good attitude to have..if you keep up that line of thinking then you will make a good officer and a good leader. You will get the respect of you troops if you listen and not just decide. We (enlisted) know what we are doing. It may seem strange or out of whack to someone who is new, but give it time and you will understand. As long as everyone is following tech date they are good. And if you get into maintenance...we have developed little short cuts. We are still following tech data, just found a quicker and easier way of doing something. Ask and learn. We will guide you through

Supermotors

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar