500 Tons of Uranium found in Iraq. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
500 Tons of Uranium found in Iraq.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...2/220331.shtml

Saddam's 500-ton Uranium Stockpile

Thanks to Leakgate Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald's decision to indict "Scooter" Libby last week, Bush administration accuser Joe Wilson is once again the toast of Washington, D.C. - recycling the fifteen minutes of fame he first purchased in July 2003 with the claim that Bush lied about Iraq's plan to acquire uranium from Niger.

Why was Bush's uranium claim so important? Because if true, the mere attempt by the Iraqi dictator to acquire uranium would show that he had clear and incontrovertible plans to restart his nuclear program.

Maybe that's why the press seldom discusses the fact that Saddam already had a staggeringly large stockpile of uranium - 500 tons, to be exact.

And if his mere intention to acquire uranium was enough to justify fears of Saddam's nuclear ambition, what would the average person deduce from that fact that he'd already stockpiled a huge quantity of the bombmaking fuel?

In its May 22, 2004 edition, the New York Times confirmed a myriad of reports on Saddam's nuclear fuel stockpile - and revealed a chilling detail unknown to weapons inspectors before the war: that Saddam had begun to partially enrich his uranium stash.
The Times noted:

"The repository, at Tuwaitha, a centerpiece of Saddam Hussein's nuclear weapons program, . . . . holds more than 500 tons of uranium . . . . Some 1.8 tons is classified as low-enriched

Resident Liberals... please what is your take on this!

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2005, 11:34 PM   #2
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Re: 500 Tons of Uranium found in Iraq.

[smug look]

[/smug look]
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:43 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

is that plain uranium, or enriched? I believe only around .3% of uranium is U-235 which is needed for bomb making... Or maybe it's U-238, I'll have to get my chem notes to be sure... if it's enriched, then he was right... though I'm still not sure he proved it at the time.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2005, 11:45 PM   #4
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
is that plain uranium, or enriched? I believe only around .3% of uranium is U-235 which is needed for bomb making... Or maybe it's U-238, I'll have to get my chem notes to be sure... if it's enriched, then he was right... though I'm still not sure he proved it at the time.
Regardless of what kind...

What does Iraq need with Uranium period?

and don't tell me power plants... Sadaam did not care about providing power to all his citizens..

Quote:
that Saddam had begun to partially enrich his uranium stash.

Reddit
Old 11-08-2005, 12:00 AM   #5
Regular

On another note... this is the first political thread started by me in forever on this site.

Reddit
Old 11-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

nice find.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

not suprising.

i bet if we were to unearth all the sand in iraq wed prolly find a whole lot more **** out there, prolly ready to fire ICBM's minus a warhead and such.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:16 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

and notice 1.8 tons is "low-enriched"... I realize that's a lot of "any enriched" uranium, but still... that means 498.2 tons of that is unusable for weapons... well, 99.7% of the 498.2 tons, but that .3% has to be refined out of the 'ore'. So Saddam may have had the uranium, but he couldn't really have done anything with it. You need pretty decently enriched uranium to make a good bomb. Also, who knows how long he's had that... it does take time to enrich uranium.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 11-08-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
Regular

Quote:
and notice 1.8 tons is "low-enriched"... I realize that's a lot of "any enriched" uranium, but still... that means 498.2 tons of that is unusable for weapons... well, 99.7% of the 498.2 tons, but that .3% has to be refined out of the 'ore'. So Saddam may have had the uranium, but he couldn't really have done anything with it. You need pretty decently enriched uranium to make a good bomb. Also, who knows how long he's had that... it does take time to enrich uranium.
So we don't go into Iraq.

How much more time you want to give him to enrich the other 99.7%

Reddit
Old 11-08-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
I liek gramer
Legacy

Jeez, some people never cease to amaze me.

Meanwhile, I'm going to start collecting smallpox virus and whatnot. It's not like I can kill everybody with just a couple test tubes full of it.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:36 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

It's Newsmax. Somebody post the story from a reputable source, please.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:37 AM   #12
I liek gramer
Legacy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3872201.stm
Old 11-08-2005, 12:44 AM   #13
I liek gramer
Legacy

after some more research, I found several articles from 2004 talking about U.S. plans to move Uranium found in Iraq.
for example:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...22uranium.html
Old 11-08-2005, 12:52 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

I didn't say we shouldn't have gone in and gotten him... God damn people. I said, he didn't have enough enriched uranium to do anything.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:54 AM   #15
Regular

Quote:
I didn't say we shouldn't have gone in and gotten him... God damn people. I said, he didn't have enough enriched uranium to do anything.
I can pull eleventy billion statements you made on this forum in the past saying we shouldnt have gone into Iraq

Reddit
Old 11-08-2005, 12:55 AM   #16
I liek gramer
Legacy

besides, it doesn't have to be a nuclear weapon that creates a frikkin mushroom cloud.

Dirty bomb Jimmy. Dirty bomb.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:17 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I can pull eleventy billion statements you made on this forum in the past saying we shouldnt have gone into Iraq
first, you're going to have trouble finding eleventy anything....

second, I'll make a small change... I never said if nuclear material did exist, we shouldn't remove it.

Also, I think we are better off with Saddam out of Iraq.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:02 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

we find WMDs there all the time. However they are just small rooms in some little house or bunker full. Not an entire warehouse of weapons so the media doesnt cover it. Trust, been once, plus have an Army EOD buddy that is gone on his second trip.

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24

Yeah, the media doesn't cover it cuz they don't like Bush, plain and simple.

If a story doesn't jive with what the media wants to report then they do their best to ignore it.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

^Exactly. Whatever is found over there, which is more than most people even realize, the majority of the populace will be in the dark about it because the liberal controlled media doesn't want to admit Bush was right. Our CIA is the BEST intelligence in the world, solar system, galaxy, quadrant, etc. If they say it was there, it was there. The original finders of the WMD's, the Brits, also have an excellent intelligence agency.

If it were left to the UN, Saddam would still be slaughtering all who oppose him or those he just chose not to like, funding worldwide organized terrorism (or at least silently supporting them by allowing them to have training camps within his borders), and further developing his own weapons for mass terrorism.

Who cares if we NEVER find any Uranium, he was a maniacal, mass murderer who should have been shot on sight!
Aargh!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to tedness

i always thought it was U-238 to be usable.

even so that's enough to wipe out emerica's important cities.

so...he was or wasn't planning to restart his nuke program? (too lazy to read everyone's posts)
Old 11-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Enriching uranium increases the amount of "middle-weight" and “light-weight” uranium atoms. Not all uranium atoms are the same. When uranium is mined, it consists of heavy-weight atoms (about 99.3% of the mass), middle-weight atoms (0.7%), and light-weight atoms (< 0.01%). These are the different isotopes of uranium, which means that while they all contain 92 protons in the atom’s center (which is what makes it uranium). The heavy-weight atoms contain 146 neutrons, the middle-weight contain 143 neutrons, and the light-weight have just 142 neutrons. To refer to these isotopes, scientists add the number of protons and neutrons and put the total after the name: uranium-234 or U-234, uranium-235 or U-235, and uranium-238 or U-238.

The fuel for nuclear reactors has to have a higher concentration of U-235 than exists in natural uranium ore. This is because U-235 is the key ingredient that starts a nuclear reaction and keeps it going. Normally, the amount of the U-235 isotope is enriched from 0.7% of the uranium mass to about 5%. Gaseous diffusion is the only process being used in the United States to commercially enrich uranium. Gas centrifuges can also be used to enrich uranium.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Regular unrefined uranium is just barely radioactive. It's about like lead. Poisonus if you ingest it, but otherwise pretty harmless. A small percentage of uranium is U-235, the good stuff. It takes alot of refining to get that out of regular ole "out of the earth" uranium. Then you're left with a pile of useless U-238 (we use it for depleted uranium shells) and a much smaller pile of U-235. Iraq had a non-military nuclear program (Israel destroyed one of their reactors that could have produced Pu back in the early 80's, that the French were building), so it shouldn't be any suprise that there is stuff like that in the country.

Edit: got 235 and 238 backwards...

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Yeah, good old SoDamnInsane's reactor.

Making Pu, which is Plutonium.

Which makes a hell of a bigger bomb than common everyday buy it wallymart Uranium.

SoDamnInsane just wanted a nuclear reactor for electricity that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Also, while I'm on my soapbox, if he didn't have anything to hide, why didn't he want the UN inspectors there, and even when he did allow them in, he took them to nice little storefront factories and warehouses and our wonderful little polite crossdressing head inspector was more than pleased to oblige.

Aargh!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:03 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

^^exactly why we went to war against him.

UN passed countless iraq resolutions to gain access into areas he wouldnt allow inspectors(for the little amount of time inspectors were even allowed in). it was obvious he was hiding something. it doesnt take a million satellite photos and hundreds of intellegence agencies for me to use common sense and deduct that a man who doesnt let inspectors in and has no intent in co-operating with the world doesnt need to be running a country. i personally dont give a rats *** if they ever find any traces of WMD(as if scuds burried in the desert arent enough) cause i know the world is a better place without ****heads like him. now if only we could get micheal moore........

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
^^exactly why we went to war against him.

UN passed countless iraq resolutions to gain access into areas he wouldnt allow inspectors(for the little amount of time inspectors were even allowed in). it was obvious he was hiding something. it doesnt take a million satellite photos and hundreds of intellegence agencies for me to use common sense and deduct that a man who doesnt let inspectors in and has no intent in co-operating with the world doesnt need to be running a country. i personally dont give a rats *** if they ever find any traces of WMD(as if scuds burried in the desert arent enough) cause i know the world is a better place without ****heads like him. now if only we could get micheal moore........
:yup:

I can't stand these people who are like, "NO WMD's, Bush lied, we shouldnt be at war..."

Saddam needed to be taken out a long time ago, even if he didn't have WMD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:12 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well, ya know, if people keep saying that "Bush lied" then they hope that people will eventually begin to believe it. I just wish that the White House would go on the offensive and go after the liars out there. It is simply irresponsible for people to keep bashing the President without a shred of evidence to back up their claims.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 11-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

there is no "IF we ever find WMDs," we HAVE found weapons of WMDs. No Nuclear warheads that I know of, but we have found tons of chemical and biological weapons. A WMD isnt just a nuke, they are Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological weapons, or NBCs. We have dug up and found caches of weapons scattered through the Iraqi desert. But as i stated our media, has the news so bent and twisted to put their own spin (even Fox News, who is the only one I will even attempt to trust) to give the story they want, that they wont tell the general public to know these things. They wont say because they want this country to believe what they are saying. If there were more people that knew what was really going on, then there would be more support for Bush and the War in Iraq.

Another reason I support my need to have gone to the Desert when I did, and have volunteered to go back. Very few people know about this. Since we imposed the no-fly zone over Iraq after Desert Storm, our aircraft patrolling the No-fly zone were shot upon numerous occasions. All the way until we invaded Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom. So over 10 years US war planes were fired upon. IMHO that is an act of war. But for over 10 years we did nothing....Granted 8 of them were during Clinton's administration, who did nothing for our military but make it smaller and take away funding. Just something else to chew on

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Heck, you ought to call into Hannity and tell him some of the things you've found out in the desert.

-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 11-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipster24
Heck, you ought to call into Hannity and tell him some of the things you've found out in the desert.
you should email O'Reilly too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrATEX
Clinton's administration, who did nothing for our military but make it smaller and take away funding
that reminds me of...

"This is the man who wants to be the Commander in Chief of our US Armed Forces? US forces armed with what? Spitballs?" Sen. Zell Miller (D)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #32
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
235 is the unstable dangerous isotope.
238 is the stable, slightly radioactive base material, that the U-235 is refined from.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #33
Regular

Damnit this thread is OLD

Reddit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar