myspace.com - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
myspace.com

I was reading the Boston Globe/Boston Herald (I don't remember which, but it's really insignificant to the point) this evening. There was a huge article on myspace.

Pretty much bashing the site - describing it as a place for pedophile predators seeking out these teen children posting emotional thoughts about themselves, pictures of them in their underwear, troubles they are going throught, etc..

WTF is myspace. some EMO kid (ok, I still don't understand EMO) signs off and now it's in the newspaper.

and MY parent's couldn't understand MY generation..

WTF is going to be happnening when my 6yr and 4yr old are 16?

I'm scared
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Re: myspace.com

You should be.

Myspace is basically like an online journal. Anybody can sign up and see who your friends are, see any pics you put up, and see whatever you write in your journal. Not my cup of tea.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
I liek gramer
Legacy

and emo in a nutshell:

I have everything I could possibly want, so I'm going act like an angst ridden teenage girl, even if I am a boy. I am going to pretend to hate everything and everybody, turn everything into DRAMA, and act suicidal so maybe somebody will 'appreciate' me. I'll dress like a girl if I'm a boy, and like a dyke if I'm a girl. I'll listen to ****ty music to go along with my ****ty outlook on life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 04:08 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I would be absolutely terrified if I had kids growing up in today's world...the stuff that is out there nowadays is mind boggling. Ppl are posting their private thoughts and pictures all over the internet, without giving it a second though. People are posting their social security numbers, credit card numbers, etc etc all over the place for all to see. There will have to be something done soon about the security issues online or nothing will be private anymore. Think about it, how often do you hand out your ssn without giving it a second thought. How many documents have you put it on. How many databases have your street address, email, ssn, personal information, etc etc etc. It's scary in today's world. Anything someone needs to know is right here on the net, and unless there is some sort of reform done on this soon, I'm scared to see what it turns out like. There is talk of implanted smart chips, stuff like that. All I see is another form of big brother taking over, watching our every moves. All a smart chip would do is put all of the world's personal information in one location, instead of spread over everywhere. But, if you don't give out your information, you get nothing and nowhere. Who knows...maybe it doesn't mean anything, maybe it means the end of privacy as we know it. I see it as a threat on my way of life, and a threat on my privacy, but what is one person against the world? Who knows...
Just my few thoughts on this...probably wayyy off subject, but this has been building up inside for a while.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:11 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

And I see myspace as just another way for young teens to be targeted. All I can say is watch what your kids are doing, both online and offline. Things that were unheard of 15 years ago are everyday occurances now. More and more...I think the people who are keeping their kids away from the tv and the internet are doing the smart thing. But, once these kids get into the real world, and see how life really is, will they be any better off? This is a two edged sword either way you look at it. If you shelter, it will only bring on shell shock, if you don't shelter, it will simply bring on a life of acceptance for the loss of privacy, the loss of sympathy for life, the loss of everything that was held true and dear not so long ago.
Our's:
Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

welcome to the information age.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to V6STANG007 Send a message via Yahoo to V6STANG007

It scares me too, And what scares me the most is that I know I won't be able to protect my kid from all harm. That won't stop me from trying though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
OK you are right!!! Maybe I am the Old Crazy One
V6STANG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6STANG007
It scares me too, And what scares me the most is that I know I won't be able to protect my kid from all harm. That won't stop me from trying though.
All I can say is get a good internet filter. My parents got the afo filter, I hated it, but ya know what, it kept me outta trouble. That's about the best ya can do...
Our's:
Old 12-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

i find it all just a bunch of conspiricy theorists IMHO. Call me over relaxed about it all, but hell I already have a folder the size of a text book in the FBI records. Also the military has a folder on me the same size. The life I chose to live gave me that. The goverment is not out to get you, unless you are a terrorist or a criminal.

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:17 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrATEX
i find it all just a bunch of conspiricy theorists IMHO. Call me over relaxed about it all, but hell I already have a folder the size of a text book in the FBI records. Also the military has a folder on me the same size. The life I chose to live gave me that. The goverment is not out to get you, unless you are a terrorist or a criminal.
I'm not saying the government is out to get us...eventhough they could declare martial law and force us to be slave laborers if they want to...but that's another story. I'm simply saying that anyone, anytime, can pull up a picture of you, your residence, you vehicles, your family, any information about you, etc etc.
Our's:
Old 12-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

that is a risk that we live with in the information age. And all these firewalls, and blockers and stuff like that dont do crap but stop the 12 year old messing around from hacking in. A hacker that wants to hack into your computer can do it with minimal effort.

I forgot to address the chip thing earlier. they are already testing it on animals. You can guarentee that it will be put to use with the Military in a couple years. And it will hold all your info, medical history, social, stuff like that. But it will be no different then the CAC Card. (common access card, i.e. military ID) There is a chip in the ID card that holds all your information they have on you. Pop the ID into a CAC reader and bam, your info. Im sure one day everything will be in a chip implanted in your hand/wrist. No more ATM cards, ids, drivers lisences etc.

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yup, I knew about the id card, have several friends here in the armed forces. Pretty crazy stuff. Think about it, all the sex offendors on the coast are not unaccounted for. If they had been implanted with chips, we would be able to pull them up on a computer and see exactly where they are. But then you get into the issue of crooked doctors and people like me who do surgery on themselves digging in and taking out the chip so they aren't traced anymore. And yeh, eventually, there'll be no more cards, no more licenses, it'll all be scanned on your chip. Just a slight magnetic field, and they can pull all your info. I'm still kinda skeptical of the whole thing though...it's gonna be a while before I let someone implant a gps enabled chip in me...but who knows, we may already all be implanted with them as part of a secret plan...who knows.
Our's:
Old 12-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

you all now you each have one. :yup:

me, yeah.. I keep in touch with my HS class, thats it.

Car Domain
12Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm on facebook..but not myspace.
Our's:
Old 12-11-2005, 04:31 PM   #15
I liek gramer
Legacy

^ x2
Old 12-11-2005, 04:45 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci

The problem with myspace isnt so much that people are predators, and use myspace to lure people in, its that people are totally stupid. "Ill post my picture, my name, address, and my hobbies for eleventy-billion people to see", i dont care who or what is viewing it, the people who posted it are stupid. Hell, half of you guys on here probably dont even know my name.

While its a shame people take advantage of the information posted, people put the information out there. Its like those kids in school who brag on having sex with so many people, then get upset with being called a slut, youre the one that put the information out there.

Reap what you sow.
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrATEX
that is a risk that we live with in the information age. And all these firewalls, and blockers and stuff like that dont do crap but stop the 12 year old messing around from hacking in. A hacker that wants to hack into your computer can do it with minimal effort.

I forgot to address the chip thing earlier. they are already testing it on animals. You can guarentee that it will be put to use with the Military in a couple years. And it will hold all your info, medical history, social, stuff like that. But it will be no different then the CAC Card. (common access card, i.e. military ID) There is a chip in the ID card that holds all your information they have on you. Pop the ID into a CAC reader and bam, your info. Im sure one day everything will be in a chip implanted in your hand/wrist. No more ATM cards, ids, drivers lisences etc.
testing? i dont think so. my dog has one in her. they are starting to imlpement it.

we are going towards an age of robotics. did you know they are developing chips to cure blindness and deafness? what will stop people from throwing in night vision, the ability to zoom, and the ability to take pictures. also, they are creating prosthetics that you can move with your mind.. and force feeback (aka the ability to pick up an egg by detecting pressure and the ability to crush 2x4s). my question is, what will stop people from getting legs on that can jump fences and walls and the abilit to run really fast? theives could get it or professional athletes. i think this kinda runs parallel with the whole info chip being put into a person. we will become cyborgs.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas
testing? i dont think so. my dog has one in her. they are starting to imlpement it.

we are going towards an age of robotics. did you know they are developing chips to cure blindness and deafness? what will stop people from throwing in night vision, the ability to zoom, and the ability to take pictures. also, they are creating prosthetics that you can move with your mind.. and force feeback (aka the ability to pick up an egg by detecting pressure and the ability to crush 2x4s). my question is, what will stop people from getting legs on that can jump fences and walls and the abilit to run really fast? theives could get it or professional athletes. i think this kinda runs parallel with the whole info chip being put into a person. we will become cyborgs.
Biochips have been out for a long time. The problem is...what happens when a blind person gets the blue screen of death driving down the road? They go blind, and they hit **** lol.
Our's:
Old 12-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Biochips have been out for a long time. The problem is...what happens when a blind person gets the blue screen of death driving down the road? They go blind, and they hit **** lol.
lol.. depends if he can reboot in time.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:42 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Exactly my thoughts lol. Or what if a guy is driving down the road, and the biochip used to control his legs stops. Or the biochip controlling his arms stops. Or the biochip giving him enough brains to drive in the first place goes out. There are just too many what-if's at this point.
But think about it, if you have money, you can be virtually inhanced...in all aspects. May not be a bad thing...
Our's:
Old 12-11-2005, 09:59 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
I would be absolutely terrified if I had kids growing up in today's world...the stuff that is out there nowadays is mind boggling.
yes, but its no stranger than what our parents parents had to do for our parents, back when they said atari was rotting their brain.
Quote:
Ppl are posting their private thoughts and pictures all over the internet, without giving it a second though. People are posting their social security numbers, credit card numbers, etc etc all over the place for all to see.
thats their problem. if theyre posting their "private" thoughts, they must not think of them as private thoughts. if youre dumb enough to post up your SSN and CC numbers, then you will learn your stupid ways the hard way.
[QUOTE=lowflyn]There will have to be something done soon about the security issues online or nothing will be private anymore. {/quote]
yeah, and it all starts with the user not being stupid and using their brain.
Quote:
Think about it, how often do you hand out your ssn without giving it a second thought. How many documents have you put it on. How many databases have your street address, email, ssn, personal information, etc etc etc.
does it matter, your info is readily available anyways through other sources you dont even know exist.
Quote:
It's scary in today's world. Anything someone needs to know is right here on the net, and unless there is some sort of reform done on this soon, I'm scared to see what it turns out like.
whats scary about knowledge? all that information was available before, you just had to go to a library and do some reading instead of a google search.
Quote:
There is talk of implanted smart chips, stuff like that. All I see is another form of big brother taking over, watching our every moves. All a smart chip would do is put all of the world's personal information in one location, instead of spread over everywhere.
big brother has already taken over, if you have nothing to hide, then you probably havent noticed it. big brother is only there to monitor those who are the reason big brother exists. so a smart chip would be like hooking up our brain to a wireless internet system, if thats the case, hook me up. im a big trekkie, and if what you said is true, it would be the same as the Borg, my favorite other than human sci-fi species.
Quote:
Who knows...maybe it doesn't mean anything, maybe it means the end of privacy as we know it. I see it as a threat on my way of life, and a threat on my privacy, but what is one person against the world?
privacy is dead already, and has it changed much of anything? anytime you go into a public area, its said you have 2-3 cameras viewing you at one time, do you feel any different when you step into the doors? probably not, unless youre either hiding something, or some conspiracy theorist crackhead.
Quote:
Who knows...
Just my few thoughts on this...probably wayyy off subject, but this has been building up inside for a while.
i hate it when that happens.

personally i give out my SSN everyday, cause i must put it on my tip report before handing it to my superiors. i know that no matter what, if someone wants my identity, theres other ways to get it other than that, and it doesnt even have to include technology, just a freind in high places or a quick phone call, something thats been around for years. besides, nowadays, if identity theft happens, it really doesnt affect the victim all that much. if someone steals my SSN and CC info and buys a vette through my bank account, my bank refurbishes me for the amount and submit a claim, i get a new SSN and CC or whatnot, and be on my merry way. then the feds get the claim and get to do their job.

its our society, europe doesnt rely on credit cards or SSN(or their version of it) in their daily lives, and they hardly have any identity theft, much because they dont live with a debted economy as we do. most euros dont like the idea of debt nor financing, most europeans have CC's for emergency and/or pay off balances monthly. they only spend what they have, not what they might have but cant pay it for a month. they save up money and buy cars outright.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar