i'm conflicted.......need opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

i'm conflicted.......need opinions

okay here is what i'm faced with:

i was at midas a couple weeks ago and the guy that was servicing my stang told me about a guy that works down the road from me that is selling a 93 fox with a built up 351 thats puttin out ~500hp, it has a tremek tko 5-speed, and some suspension work to it, along with a new paint job.......he is asking like $7k for it. the reason he is selling it is to put that down on a vette for his fiance. the only downside to the car is that it has no a/c, but for $800 he knows a guy that can have it in the car. now, i told him that i might be interested in a trade, but do you think its worth it. here is how i see it:

-upgrading to a ~500hp built for racing V8
-getting a 5-speed, and a built for racing one at that too
-lower insurance, but if the car gets totalled, then i will only get blue book, which wont cover the cost of the engine, tranny, etc.
-i think the fox body is pretty cool, yet i favor the 99-04 look better
-getting a street legal racing car with about 500 miles on all the new parts
-trading a car that runs damn good and has a warranty for a car that runs way better and way faster, yet has no warranty if i **** something up.

the guy was telling me about how its kinda hard to get traction in this thing. it will burn through 1st, 2nd, and will finally hook up somewhere in 3rd.....he was sayin how he had it hiked up at around 3500 in 3rd and stabbed it and got sideways to the point where the car next to him thought he was gonna hit him. i honestly dont know if i can handle a 500hp car....sometimes instead of tipping into the trottle or just kickin it down one gear to pass, i sometimes like to go WOT and maybe catch 2nd depending on speed to get that hard 2-3 shift, but if i slam that car into 3rd and dump the clutch, its gonna be "hello ditch". and it seems as though with the lack of traction in that car, that it might not be as fun to drive as i would like it to be.

what do y'all think?
any other advantages/disadvantages that i am overlooking?
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq
Re: i'm conflicted.......need opinions

How would insurance be cheaper? is it because it's an old V8 it's lower then your 6?
Sounds like an awesome car but if it was me i would be too spoiled with it. Once you have 500hp where do you go next?
If i were to own a car like that i would want to be the one building it up and doing the work on it. i dunno just something about me doing my own work makes me feel good about it. however 7K is nothing for what kind of thrills you could get out of it and i'm sure it would cost mo money to build it up yourself.

going from your car to that 500hp beast is a huge step.
the down sides i see is money spent on gas and i'm not sure what CR it has but it may require higher octane with that set up.
Everything that hasn't been modified or changed out is going on being 13 years old so you may have some stuff to replace soon.
If i owned that car and only put 500 miles on it, I wouldn't sell it to buy my fiance a car no matter how hot she is and how many times she puts out a day. i'm suspicious about these "dream" cars that are selling for cheap and have low miles on their newly built engine.

i can't imagine the adrenaline i'd have with all that power. I'd look into it and find out more info on it and that may be the deciding factor.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

well its an n/a 351 right now...........i believe he said its set up for a nitrous system, he just never got one for it........also, if i want more power all i gotta do is throw a s/c on that bad boy.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

I like 500hp.
I like foxes.

Go for it.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:47 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang
-upgrading to a ~500hp built for racing V8
sickness
Quote:
-getting a 5-speed, and a built for racing one at that too
even sicker
Quote:
-lower insurance, but if the car gets totalled, then i will only get blue book, which wont cover the cost of the engine, tranny, etc.
who cares, you never get what you put into the car back. its not like a house that gains equity the more work you do to it, if anything, a modded car is worth less than a stock one of the same year and quality. if anything if its totaled or such, they give you blue book, then you go out, find a fox shell, buy yours back, swap everything over in a weekend, and youre back on your feet.
Quote:
-i think the fox body is pretty cool, yet i favor the 99-04 look better
werd, but its better than the civic looking 94-98's.
Quote:
-getting a street legal racing car with about 500 miles on all the new parts
eh, if anything id ask to get all reciepts just so you know exactly what was done, and know where to find replacement parts.
Quote:
-trading a car that runs damn good and has a warranty for a car that runs way better and way faster, yet has no warranty if i **** something up.
its time to learn how to work on the cars yourself. everyone needs a project car to force them to learn the things theyd usually pay someone to do. thats what i used the dsm for, learning how to really get into the nitty gritty, and not be so afraid of messing soemthing up.

Quote:
the guy was telling me about how its kinda hard to get traction in this thing. it will burn through 1st, 2nd, and will finally hook up somewhere in 3rd.....he was sayin how he had it hiked up at around 3500 in 3rd and stabbed it and got sideways to the point where the car next to him thought he was gonna hit him. i honestly dont know if i can handle a 500hp car....sometimes instead of tipping into the trottle or just kickin it down one gear to pass, i sometimes like to go WOT and maybe catch 2nd depending on speed to get that hard 2-3 shift, but if i slam that car into 3rd and dump the clutch, its gonna be "hello ditch". and it seems as though with the lack of traction in that car, that it might not be as fun to drive as i would like it to be.
just have willpower man. more than likely you wont abuse the car like that in fear of breaking something and then being ****ed out of transportation.
Quote:
what do y'all think?
any other advantages/disadvantages that i am overlooking?
umm, other than youd be losing youre super sexeh torch red 99-04, youd also be ridding yourself of that insane powerhouse we have learned to fear, the only motor created by satan himself, the awesome 3.9L.:worship:

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:09 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

How the hell does the 94-98's look like a damn civic?

Personally I would do it, but look at your situation. Can you afford it if the car is down because of a clutch or if something breaks other wise which is more likely with the power coming out of that car.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24

maybe you can pick up a cheap beater as well?

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
gut that ***** before insurance gets there to pick it up

In all seriousness, do what I did with the 90 when it got totalled: They were going to cut me a $1500 check, but I bought the car back from them for $300. So, I got a $1200 check, I kept about $1000 worth of parts (engine, trans, lots of little thing), and then I sold the wrecked roller for $400. I ended up making more cash and saving on parts. Just make sure you don't give them the title!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-

what kinda of tires does it have on the back? Id go for it but your insurance will not be cheaper. And another thing to think of, do you have emissions inspections where you are? might be tricky to get a 500hp 351 to pass emissions considering they do the treadmill test.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:50 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Bane- Emissions here won't be tough. The only thing they test is the gas cap test. They don't hook anything up to the tail pipes or anything. Either way, there are many "lick em and stick up" type places here...so it wouldn't be an issue.

Kyle-
I say you are not ready for this car yet. Based on the way you drive in your 6, and the desire you have to chase down civics, I don't think you are ready for this car yet.

500 hp is a lot of power. This time of year traction is nothing but a dream. It will take a lot of will power for you to stay off the loud pedal. I lose it if I stomp it while rolling in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. At the same time, there isn't much more traction in the summer months either. Granted, you can now use 3rd, but 1st and 2nd have a tendancy to break lose at will with gas.

Now, at the same time, the first couple of times you stomp on the gas in that car, you will gain instant respect for it as it will bury you in your seat and the *** end will start to do funny things. The key is to have that happen in the middle of no where instead of on the streets.

So, basically I am saying that you are not ready for this car. At the same time I am saying you should get it because it is a beast. If you were to get it, you will need to learn respect for it very much quickly and learn to stay off the gas even if the 150 hp guy next to you has smoked you out of the hole.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

do it
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:29 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I gotta agree with Smurfin here. 500 hp is a lot of power. It'll be one of those cars where you simply don't go WOT on the street, unless maybe you're on the interstate. A car like that will absolutely blow the tires off through 1st, 2nd and most of 3rd. By time you get to a gear/rpm where the tires will hook you're already gonna be above the speed limit. Fact is a stock GT will be faster from light to light simply because you won't be able to put the power to the ground, even if you decide to run DR's.

And trust me, you will pull up to some idiot at a light in a 100 hp Cavalier or something, revving at ya and thinking he's the ****. And you're gonna be in a pissy mood and feel the need to absolutely wax his ***. In a 500 hp car, stuff like that can get dangerous fast, whether it be from the police or finding ditches, curbs, etc.

If you were used to driving cars like that, I still wouldn't necessarily recommend going for it. I think you're definitely on the right track when you say that it won't be as fun to drive as you'd like it to be. After all, this is barely even beginning to get into the problems that come with driving a "racecar" everday....

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:35 AM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302
And trust me, you will pull up to some idiot at a light in a 100 hp Cavalier or something, revving at ya and thinking he's the ****. And you're gonna be in a pissy mood and feel the need to absolutely wax his ***. In a 500 hp car, stuff like that can get dangerous fast, whether it be from the police or finding ditches, curbs, etc.
I agree with that because I catch myself doing it in my 500 hp car. Some rice jocky will just get under your skin at a light at you hammer it. Even with the DR's out back, it is roll out...spin...shift...spin...shift...spin...grab finally...
Old 12-22-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Yeh Kyle...I'd have to agree with rob on this one...you drive like I do. Punch it randomly just for the heck of it. If you do that in that car you will lose it lol. Trust me..I'm having to relearn how to drive in my roommate's car. Never give it more than 1/4 gas unless you want to start drifting. His car is fun and all, but there's never really anywhere to use that kinda power sin the drag strip.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin

Kyle-
I say you are not ready for this car yet. Based on the way you drive in your 6, and the desire you have to chase down civics, I don't think you are ready for this car yet.

500 hp is a lot of power. This time of year traction is nothing but a dream. It will take a lot of will power for you to stay off the loud pedal. .
well, i dont romp on the car all the time, i know when to and when not to, i respect my car very much and meticulously mantain it b/c i want it to last me for a while. i take damn good care of my car, yes there are some times where i am on the interstate behind someone doin 60 and i go WOT, but its not like i'm constantly on it, this car is my baby and it will be around for a while. i must be doin something right if i can throw it back on the stock tune and cant tell a difference in how it runs from now to day 1........

and i havent raced a civic in a very very long time, i think they are gettin raped my domestics so bad that they are finally coming around

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Yeh Kyle...I'd have to agree with rob on this one...you drive like I do. Punch it randomly just for the heck of it. If you do that in that car you will lose it lol. Trust me..I'm having to relearn how to drive in my roommate's car. Never give it more than 1/4 gas unless you want to start drifting. His car is fun and all, but there's never really anywhere to use that kinda power sin the drag strip.
yeah, i would have to learn how to drive that car all over again........i dunno though

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar