So I think I want to build a computer... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
So I think I want to build a computer...

...probably over the summer since I will be working at the truck will be paid off. My laptop is getting a little old, but I can keep it for taking to class.

I think the mini PC cubes are pretty cool, but most look like they have only one 5.25" and one 3.5" drive slot, which kinda sucks. Since this is going to be my first home built PC, i plan on starting with a barebones kit instead of going completely from scratch. What exactly does a barebones kit include? case, motherboard, power supply, ports, etc? Do they come with a processor? Should I go celeron or pentium?

I don't play games, but I want a good multimedia computer. what do y'all suggest I get? Of course I will be getting a dvd+r/rw drive and another (probably cd-rw/dvd-rom) disc drive. I want a big hard drive in the 250-300gb range for media storage, and another smaller drive for backups and/or windows/programs probably. I also want a sound card that can handle 6.1 or 7.1 surround and a nice video card with multiple connection options. A dual monitor set up would also be kind of neat. How much memory do I need? how fast of a processor do i need? And of course, what everyone says: cheaper is better in most cases!

Also, is XP media center edition really worth it over home or professional?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: So I think I want to build a computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64
...probably over the summer since I will be working at the truck will be paid off. My laptop is getting a little old, but I can keep it for taking to class.

I think the mini PC cubes are pretty cool, but most look like they have only one 5.25" and one 3.5" drive slot, which kinda sucks. Since this is going to be my first home built PC, i plan on starting with a barebones kit instead of going completely from scratch. What exactly does a barebones kit include? case, motherboard, power supply, ports, etc? Do they come with a processor? Should I go celeron or pentium?

I don't play games, but I want a good multimedia computer. what do y'all suggest I get? Of course I will be getting a dvd+r/rw drive and another (probably cd-rw/dvd-rom) disc drive. I want a big hard drive in the 250-300gb range for media storage, and another smaller drive for backups and/or windows/programs probably. I also want a sound card that can handle 6.1 or 7.1 surround and a nice video card with multiple connection options. A dual monitor set up would also be kind of neat. How much memory do I need? how fast of a processor do i need? And of course, what everyone says: cheaper is better in most cases!

Also, is XP media center edition really worth it over home or professional?
I'll help you build from scratch if you want. Not much too it... get better quality parts too.

I will have you a setup by tomorrow You gave me enough info to put you together a nice comp.

I don't know how cheap I can get a multimedia computer to be.. if you mess with video and lots of images then you need ram... I recommend 2GB from the start. Doesnt have to be the best ram just some name brand Corsair.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I can't really comment on all of what you have posted at the moment, but the main suggestion I have is to go AMD instead of intel. It will be about the same cost in that the chip is cheaper for AMD, but the MB is expensive...and it is vice versa for the intel setup so they about even out.

Memory, I would go about a gig. You probably won't ever use that much. That's how much I have at home right now and it is just fine.

Hard drive, the idea of 2 is a good one. Get one for the OS and programs and such...create a back up of it...and store it on the monster drive. I have 3 HD's at home right now...80 gig OS drive...120 Gig program/development drive...and a 300 gig storage drive.

The PC cubes or "Shuttle PCs" are killer. I used to work on those when I was at Kodak. Those are some nifty little suckers. The usually only have room for, like you said, 1 3 1/2" drive and 1 5 1/4" drive. So, you can't get real creative with one.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
Regular

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...s+New+Computer

This is what I came up with.

We can go from here.

Main specs are:

AMD Opteron 2.4ghz
Abit AN8 MB
2GB Ram
Radeon x800Pro PCI-Xpress
WD 74GB 10kRPM Sata Hardrive (This is for O/S and programs to be installed on)
WD 400GB 7200RPM Sata Harddrive (Storage)
Soundblaster Audigy 7.1 Sound Card
DVD Burner
19" LCD

That system kicks major ***, 1800 dollars with everything in that wishlist. It provides 1) Top of the line power for all current needs 2) Extensive expandibility for the future. So instead of having to do this again in the next 2-3 years you can replace certain parts. PCI-Xpress is here to stay and you don't game which is where most upgrades come from. The current video card will play any game out right now at high levels. It provides Video in and Out. The Opteron Processor is extremely powerful and the motherboard Chipset is 939 which allows for many Processor choices in the future.

1800 dollars is probably out of your budget and once you get back I can figure out more specific things to skim back on if needed. Not that this stuff can be bought overtime which makes this easier. Nothing is overly expensive... ~200 dollar range for each part.

Reddit
Old 12-22-2005, 09:43 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

looks good so far, might have to swap in some less expensive parts, lol
Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 PM   #6
Regular

Yea I figured. I just wanted to get a starting point. Anything can be subbed in.

Reddit
Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

ill help build it.

and AMD mother boards are not expensive. i bought the chip for 100 and the mobo for 80.

i recommend the Creative Audigy ZS 2. Awesome sound card. And if brent picks a PCI express mobo i have just the vid card for ya. I have a EVGA Geforce 6800 GT. Great vid card. bought it for 320. It is brand new, never opened that ill sell to you for 220.

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

The Opteron is probably overkill in this situation. I'd drop back to a regular *** A64 (look at a 4000+ or maybe a 3800+ X2). Get 2 x 512mb RAM. That'll leave you the option to upgrade to 2gb later on for a minimum of expense.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #9
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
The Opteron is probably overkill in this situation. I'd drop back to a regular *** A64 (look at a 4000+ or maybe a 3800+ X2). Get 2 x 512mb RAM. That'll leave you the option to upgrade to 2gb later on for a minimum of expense.
Yea Processor is first place I was going to cut back on.

I would get 1 stick of 1GB myself.. and then later on just buy one more if the need arises?

I know the timings arent as good with 1 stick but he doesnt game and wont overclock so it shouldn't matter.

Reddit
Old 12-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...s+New+Computer

This is what I came up with.

We can go from here.

Main specs are:

AMD Opteron 2.4ghz
Abit AN8 MB
2GB Ram
Radeon x800Pro PCI-Xpress
WD 74GB 10kRPM Sata Hardrive (This is for O/S and programs to be installed on)
WD 400GB 7200RPM Sata Harddrive (Storage)
Soundblaster Audigy 7.1 Sound Card
DVD Burner
19" LCD

That system kicks major ***, 1800 dollars with everything in that wishlist. It provides 1) Top of the line power for all current needs 2) Extensive expandibility for the future. So instead of having to do this again in the next 2-3 years you can replace certain parts. PCI-Xpress is here to stay and you don't game which is where most upgrades come from. The current video card will play any game out right now at high levels. It provides Video in and Out. The Opteron Processor is extremely powerful and the motherboard Chipset is 939 which allows for many Processor choices in the future.

1800 dollars is probably out of your budget and once you get back I can figure out more specific things to skim back on if needed. Not that this stuff can be bought overtime which makes this easier. Nothing is overly expensive... ~200 dollar range for each part.
i could put that together for 1400$ at most, including a full legal version of windows xp, or your choice of linux OS

i got the hook up, yo

:yup:
Old 12-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #11
Regular

Windows XP Media Center? Which parts can you get cheaper?

Reddit
Old 12-22-2005, 10:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

come up with your budget and we will see what is out there. I am considering building a new rig as well.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

my budget depends on my job this summer, lol
Old 12-23-2005, 08:48 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

well we need to know how much and to what ends you will be using the compuer for before we can correctly try to build a computer that will best suit what you are looking for.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar