Interesting computer problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Interesting computer problem

Ok, here is a good one. I can't figure it out, so hopefully someone else *cough* computerguy *cough* corey *cough* will have some insight.

Ok, here is the deal. Last night, everything worked fine. Today, I am not able to connect to any non secure web sites. If I go to an address that is http://anything, it fails to connect. It will say web site found, and then will time out. If I try to go to a site in the form of https://anything, it connects up just fine and dandy. Ok, any thoughts? lol This is happening in both firefox and IE. The weird thing is, it was working fine earlier today when I started the 3" exhaust thread, now, nothing (posting from work at the moment).
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Re: Interesting computer problem

Hmmmmm. Did you check the proxy settings or check Firewall settings. HTTPS and HTTP use two different ports, and the port 80 HTTP might be disabled somehow?

Check your firewall configurations.
ComputerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

go to command promt and type as follows:

ipconfig /release "hit enter"
ipconfig /renew "hit enter"

and see if this fixes the problem.
Matt'sredbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy
Hmmmmm. Did you check the proxy settings or check Firewall settings. HTTPS and HTTP use two different ports, and the port 80 HTTP might be disabled somehow?

Check your firewall configurations.
I disabled the windows firewall....my laptop can access the internet through the same router just fine...but the desktop just won't go. It is messing with my head.

Proxy settings for both are to autodetect. I don't have a proxy server at home, I just run through a wireless router where the desktop is hard wired into it. I can't get into it's settings as when I try to log in to the router from the desktop, it fails even though I am entering the right password. Unfortunately I am at work so I can't log into it from the laptop.

This problem happened monday night...I couldn't fix it so I rebuilt the desktop. Everything worked all fine and dandy last night and earlier today. Then, all of a sudden, I can no longer access http web sites. It is a real interesting concept.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'sredbeauty
go to command promt and type as follows:

ipconfig /release "hit enter"
ipconfig /renew "hit enter"

and see if this fixes the problem.
That will do no good...where the first problem lies is that I am remote connecting into my home computer at the moment...I do any ipconfig stuff, it will go bye bye.

another thing that wasn't in the first post that is in my last post is that I am running through a router...so releasing and renewing will only reset the routers provided dhcp address. I can't access the router from the desktop at the moment so I can't get it to renew....it is something I will have to do when I get home.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

unplug both the modem and router from the wall, then plug the modem back in count to ten and then the router see if that fixes it
Matt'sredbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I am at work...so I can't do anything router related...otherwise I could log into the router from my laptop and do the refresh there.

However, I did just think of something that it might could be and am testing out right now. When you have cox for an email provider, you have to use there smtp server as your outgoing server no matter what host you are using. Where this applies is I setup my godaddy email account with my spam blocker and outlook and it was at that time port 80 stopped working. What is the correlation? well, godaddy lets you bypass ISP's blocking the smtp server by letting you use a different port number. Guess what port number they suggest? You got it...80. Once that account was setup, the fit hit the shan. So, I just changed the smtp setting and will see if that fixes life or not once my computer finishes it's reboot.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Ok, now this post is from my home computer...so...the moral of the story is...when godaddy tells you to use port 80 for outgoing smtp...do not use it.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
Ok, now this post is from my home computer...so...the moral of the story is...when godaddy tells you to use port 80 for outgoing smtp...do not use it.
That is retarded. port 80 has nothing to do with SMTP

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

port 80 SMTP, WTF!

who in there right mind would suggest using 80 for something that is most commenly attacked by a hacker in the first 10secs to get access to a box, thats just stupid!

And 80 for SMTP, oh I did say that didnt I...
Old 01-25-2006, 06:13 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
That is retarded. port 80 has nothing to do with SMTP
No it doesn't, but cox blocks port 25 unless it is going to their smtp server...if you user any other smtp server address in there, they block it. So, just like trying to host a website on my home computer, you have to bypass their retarded blocking...hence the reason my home site goes through port 159 instead of 80. They also block the ftp port 21...****ing tards.

The stupid thing is, godaddy really shouldn't be suggesting people use port 80 since it will blow **** up when you have any kind of spam blocker installed....or if you are checking email.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar