Kentucky made the tourney: - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Kentucky made the tourney:

They're an 8 seed, playing UAB in the first round. They usually do pretty well in it...not counting that year UAB beat them in the second round...when they were the top seeded team. That sure wrecked my bracket that year. Hey Whitestang, you think UAB's gonna have anything for them?

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Kentucky made the tourney:

Kentucky sucks. UAB will kill them

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

http://kentucky.scout.com/2/508037.html?refid=400

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

To be real, it's going to be a very hard game.

They aren't comfortable at all with how we play. But they saw us in 2004. They'll watch that footage I promise. I doubt we will, what good would it do us to watch an older KY team that we won't be playing? While we have several of the same players from 04, the footage will be an advantage for them.

I'll go down that list from your link Mark and let you know my opinion on them.

1. Not a bad record, but as ESPN said, our out of conference schedule is a little weak. We could be better there. We can't help our conference schedule. If Memphis leaves this year, we may stay one more year, but after that I can't see us staying C-USA, if it stays around that long.

2. We would have beat Memphis in the C-USA tourney had that game been anywhere but Memphis. Don't believe me? We beat them here earlier this year, when they were #3 in the nation. It's hard for anybody to play in an arena with 16k people, when you're used to less than 8k, especially when all but about 200 of those 16k are Memphis fans.

3. Really doesn't matter. Sure, Memphis was ranked, but the only thing that matters in the UAB - Memphis games is who wants it more, and more importantly, where it is at.

4. We both suck from the floor.

5. The 3 point percentage difference is nominal. I don't know who shoots more, so the percentage makes no difference to me. As far as 3 pt defense, that's going to rape us. We don't really have a 3 pt D, and it hurts us bad. If you watched the C-USA championship game, you saw that. We exchange good 3 point D for lots of turnovers. Our defense shifts very hard to the ball, we play close physical ball. It's hard for us to shift all the way out to three-land, especially if they make a quick cross-court pass.

6. Rebounding: We're a relatively small team. We rarely enjoy a positive rebound margin, but we make most all of that back up in steals.

7. We've led the NCAA in steals since the 02-03 season. I'm afraid we lost that this year though. Not enough games. If they don't be VERY careful with the ball, they will lose it and we will win from points on turnovers.

8. We both pretty much suck from the free throw line... They are called free for a reason...

9. RPI doesn't matter at this point.

10. Marvette... watch this kid's shot. It's ugly as all get out, two handed, odd spin... But it sinks... I don't get it. I've seen him hit 3 shots in one game from halfway from the top of the key and half court. His range is phenominal. Memphis had him by his nuts though in the championship game, and as you can see, it hurt us bad. I hope he's able to get some good looks against KY, we will need him.

11. Holmes is all man. He's big, he's ugly, and he's mean. He runs like a drunk deer, but I would not want to be on the court with him. We play physical ball and he, along with Mukubu are probably 2 of the most physical. Foul trouble might plague him, but I can't even think of one occasion where he actually fouled out. We're good about fouls. Squeaky has never fouled out of a college game. Honestly, I can't even think of any time anybody from UAB has fouled out this year.

12. Delaney. He's good. Kinda recently discovered for us, what with Demario Eddins being out for the season. He's very good and can be a game-maker if things work out. He has been before.

So that's my opinion on things. Can we win? YES. Will we? :dunno: We have to show up to play and shock KY again. They have seen us before and I'm sure want revenge.

I'm more worried about UConn...
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
I liek gramer
Legacy

That scout site is pretty nice.

If it would just let me sign up...
Old 03-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

UAB will not lose to kentucky, theyre aweful this year.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
I liek gramer
Legacy

yeah, I finally got on the site. Server was loaded or something, but it let me sign up.

I don't want to say we'll win for sure, because sometimes we just don't show up to games (see UTEP this year. ) but even ESPN is projecting us to win.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
I liek gramer
Legacy

This is from a facebook message. We have an alum from UAB who runs down every team we play with pertinent info to our game.

Long read, but usually pretty good.

3 straight years into the NCAA Tournament, 3 straight years we face an SEC team. 2 years in a row we have won our first game, 2 years in a row we have beaten an SEC team. Let's extend those streaks tomorrow night against a fimiliar tournament team in Kentucky. Most of you remember 2 years ago and our historic Sweet 16 run which led us past Kentucky on some heroics by the Twins and Mo Finley, along with the rest of the guys (Sidney Ball, Demario, Lee Cobb, Gabe Kennedy...) I assure you UK still has it fresh in their minds and they are looking for blood. So let's take a look at this years KY Jelly team and see what we're up against.

Since the new season has started, let's look at KY's record over "Dancing Teams." Victories over WVU, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Alabama. Losses to Iowa, UNC, Indiana, Kansas, Alabama, Florida twice, Tennessee, and LSU (and soon to be UAB). Overall record against tourney teams of 4-9. KY is down compared to traditional years, even compared to 2 years ago. They still have some monsters in 6'10 Soph F #33 Randoph Morris who averages 13.5 ppg, 6 rpg and shoots 62% from the field (he should he sits around the basket all day). The otehr "star" we have to worry about is 6'1 Soph G #4 Rajon Rondo. Rondo averages 11.3 ppg, 6 rpg, is trying to be like Squeaky with an assist/turnover ratio of 2.1/1, and also averages 2 steals pg. Other guys we will see alot of are #32 Joe Crawford, #22 Patrick Sparks, #3 Ramel Bradley, #13 Bobby Perry, #2 Ravi Moss, and #23 Sheray Thomas. KY also has two 7 footers but they don't average alot of minutes so they will be in and out. Morris has only played in 19 games due to injury, but in those 19 games he's climbed to fourth in scoring for the Wildkittens behind Rondo, Crawford and Sparks. Any of you that follow SEC sports (yes I know some of you do, why??) you know Patrick Sparks is not your average looking basketball player. Sparks is to looking like a basketball player as Darrell Hackney is to looking like a Quarterback, just doesn't. Short, big, but Sparks can shoot a 3 almost 40%. Crawford and Moss are also threats from outside both shooting around 37%.
Nobody is real good from the free throw line but Bradley has the best at 77%. To beat this team we have to do two things, control pace and pressure defense. By controllnig the pace, the big men like Morris and Sparks will become tired, which will show in thier games, plus KY is not as deep as we are. Pressure defense will give the guards fits like it did 2 years ago, but this year Sparks, Rondo, and Crawford will be the ones frustrated. Another big key for our victory is not letting them get hot from outside. Sparks is a streaky shooter and if he gets hot and we cant match shots with him, we will be in trouble. They shoot 35% as a team hitting 252/709. Compare to our team percentage of 34.8% hitting 217/623. Obviously they shoot alot more than we do, which is fine if they aren't hitting them. We also average more points per game than they do at 74.7 to 70.5.

Honestly, we match up pretty well statictically, but stats don't show hustle, heart, and drive. Those three things I think we have alot more of. And with 10-11 guys contributing, I think we have very good shot at taking on UConn on Sunday. But let's get this one first because it's win or go home as of Sunday. As I look at the clock I notice we have about 60 hours until game time, and the team is getting ready to head to Philly in about 10 minutes. Once they get there, KY Jelly best be ready for a track meet. Remeber Tipoff is at 845pm Birmingham time Friday Night on CBS or FM101.1. Time to get crazy and hope for another run through the tourney. Cheer on your Blazers ladies and gentlemen, for there is no tormorrow without a W. BRING IT ON WLIDKITTENS!! GO BLAZERS!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar