Battery Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to 04MonteSS
Battery Problems

I know this isnt the place to go, but everything else is Mustang and I am Chevy. My problem is that my battery is just draining nonstop, i didnt drive it for like two days and it was just dead. Took it to my mechanic, and he couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. I do have two 12" MTX subs with an Infinity 611A 761 watt mono amp. But the thing is, my mechanic said that it isnt the system that is causing the battery to drain. Does anyone know what might be causing the problem? Thanks much, and sorry for this not being in the right forum.
Michael Moore and I actually have a lot in common - we both appreciate living in a country where there's free expression, but Michael, if you ever show up at my front door with a camera - I'll kill you.
04MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Battery Problems

Bad battery?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I brought it in on January to Pepboys so they can charge it, which is when it died on me the 1st time, and they told me that everything was good with it.
The paper said " Beginning: 11.20v 52 CCA Ending: 12.86v 801 CCA Battery Condition: Good Battery, Battery meets industry performance standards"
Michael Moore and I actually have a lot in common - we both appreciate living in a country where there's free expression, but Michael, if you ever show up at my front door with a camera - I'll kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

It's been pretty gay whatever it is. I think it's a -Chevy- thing

I also would be pretty grateful if anyone could help fix this problem.

Otherwise as soon as he gets a job he's going to charge the battery, trade in his car, and let some other person deal with it and then return it to the dealership

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
It's been pretty gay whatever it is. I think it's a -Chevy- thing

I also would be pretty grateful if anyone could help fix this problem.

Otherwise as soon as he gets a job he's going to charge the battery, trade in his car, and let some other person deal with it and then return it to the dealership
well, I will agree that it is a chevy thing. I have a 99 lumina in my driveway that is doing the same thing. We just replaced the battery and alternator in January-ish when it happened the first time. We figured the alt just died, so we replaced it. Now, about 2 months later, the car sat over a weekend and it is now dead again. We do not have and sound stuff in the car.

I would like to fix it if anyone chimes in on what it might be...otherwise, I am going to let the POS sit until the woman is ready to get into something else...get it running long enough to trade it in and be done with it. ****ing chevies....
Old 03-14-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

If the charging and battery check out, then you need to check the vehicle for a battery draw. You will need a digital multi-meter than can handle at least 20 amps of current. Did you add anything electronic to the car recently?
You can't completely check the alt. and battery with just a meter, but you can do a few things. First, check the cables and connections Most vehicles could stand to have their battery and cables cleaned with a brass brush or emery cloth. Secondly, set your meter to a 12 volt DC scale and place the black probe on the negative battery post and the red one to the positive post. You should get a reading of 12 volts or higher. If you don't your battery needs a charge or needs replacing. If that checks, then start the engine while still leaving the meter probes connected. Get someone to watch the meter display while you start the motor. Hopefully your meter will be good enough to react quickly and show you the battery voltage during cranking. It may take a few starts to get an average reading. The voltage shouldn't drop below 9.5 volts during crank. This test isn't always accurate as the quality of the test equipment isn't ideally suited for this test. After the vehicle is running the voltage should read around 14.4 volts. If it does, turn on some accessories like the headlights, wipers and rear deffogger etc.. The voltage reading may drop a bit but shouldn't go below 12.5 volts. If neither of these last two readings are good then your alt. isn't charging the battery properly.
Ask your mechanic if he did a full charging and starting test. There is specific equipment that can thoroughly test both your battery and alt. under proper loads. Ask him if your battery passed a load test. If all this checks out OK, then you'll have to test the battery for a draw.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

My problem is specifically a draw somewhere and it can kiss my *** since I have no idea how or where to check for one. The battery is fine if the car is driven everyday...once it sits for a couple of days, the battery is dead. I can't do any of the tests you mention because the batter reads dead. I can jump it and get it running to check the alt readings and such, but I am 99.9% sure it is a draw somewhere...

Unfortunately, I don't have the proper tool (read explosives) to properly fix the issue. Told her she should have never bough a chevy.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang
If the charging and battery check out, then you need to check the vehicle for a battery draw. You will need a digital multi-meter than can handle at least 20 amps of current. Did you add anything electronic to the car recently?
My mechanic did do the amp test on it, and I was there when he was testing it out. He was pointing out that the battery was charging and putting out enough power since it does have to deal with a computer. And that only added electronics I have added was the sound system
Old 03-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well that was my best shot good Luck with the problem

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 03-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Lol thanks anyways man
Old 03-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Here's something else

The best way to isolate a current draw problem, is to use an ammeter that will handle a 10 amp draw. Remove each fuse that always gets 12 volts, and put the meter probes across the terminals where the fuse was. Any current draw shown is what that circuit is drawing with the car shut off. (If connecting the meter probes causes an interior light to come on, wait until it automatically shuts off, before assessing current draw).

If you don't have an ammeter, your only option to isolate the circuit, is to use trial and error:
1) do a test to prove you have no problem with fuse removed? If so, you can focus on this circuit, and skip to the next paragraph.
2) if the problem happens with fuse removed, remove all the fuses that get 12 volts with the key out of the ignition, and do another test with them all removed.
3) assuming that the problem doesn't happen in step 2, add one fuse back at a time, to see which one triggers the problem. Then focus on that circuit.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Good idea on removing the fuse to see if it still drains it, we'll try that

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar