We can grow custom fitted bladders? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
We can grow custom fitted bladders?

Quote:
U.S. doctors have successfully implanted bladders grown in the laboratory into patients with bladder disease. These custom bladders grew from the patients' own bladder cells on a specially shaped mold. The surgeons hope to use the technique to repair or replace other complex internal organs.
Seven youths aged four to 19 are the first beneficiaries of new bladders engineered by Dr. Anthony Atala and colleagues at Wake Forest University in North Carolina. "In terms of actually engineering a complex construct that we engineer outside the body and then we implant inside the body, this is really the first time we have been able to do that," he said.
That is kinda weird and cool at the same time.. now can we grow new hearts and livers and lungs?

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-04-04-voa42.cfm

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Dark02Pony
Re: We can grow custom fitted bladders?

Just add water! cha cha cha chia heart!
Operation: Evolutionization.......Member #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
Ford Motor Company = FoMoCo..
what does that make Honda Motor Company????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole
Mineral Gray is such a hott color. Much better then orange
Dark02Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Actually this is quite cool I have 2 friends that will be taking anti rejection drugs their entire life and have since 16. They were both born without kidneys. If we are able to grow cultures of our own cells to grow any of our organs the drugs would be unneccessary.

Science working in our favor

Old 04-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

Yeah, we'd have been able to do it a long long time ago if politics hadn't gotten involved.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
Yeah, we'd have been able to do it a long long time ago if politics hadn't gotten involved.
Stem cells are not needed for the tissue samples. These come from the person needing the organs
Old 04-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
I liek gramer
Legacy

ahh, didn't read the article, just saw the headline earlier and assumed it was stem cells.

Stem cells could have done this long ago, if politics hadn't gotten involved.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Stem cells flim cells. Do you really want the problems associated with fetus stem cells??? Think about it. it would be another abused system they would actually accelerate the spread of AIDS at a rate unfathomable to us right now. To me it has nothing to do with religion. Think Nick???
Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
I liek gramer
Legacy

How do you know it would be another abused system if it's never had the chance to prove itself???

I don't understand the AIDS reference...

I don't want what was done in this article associated with stem cells because it too will become political.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Here is what they dont talk about because it is politically incorrect. Big Money. Major Medical corporations if allowed to collect fetus stem cells for research there would be a rush to buy fetuses which would create a demand. What does the poor, 3rd world and greedy do when there is money to be made. Rush to get some of the money. What happens next is the poor, 3rd world and greedy go crazy having unprotected sex to create fetuses. You can't pro-create having protected sex. The Aids virus would spread faster than we could ever dream of all because of some desired need for science to use fetus stem cells instead of adult stem cells or cultured live human tissue.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
I liek gramer
Legacy

They're crazy having unprotected sex now. I understand the AIDS reference now, but I would certainly hope that there would be some sort of screening process... They have it for blood donations, plasma donations, why not for fetus cell donations??? Who would accept an organ cultured from fetus stem cells with a 90% chance of AIDS?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
Regular

It will never happen like Nick wants it to (and me too) because the corruption of our POS government will **** it all up

Reddit
Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
They're crazy having unprotected sex now. I understand the AIDS reference now, but I would certainly hope that there would be some sort of screening process
Not like they would if it was worth money to have unprotected sex. It would be a boom for crack ho's and improvished people with no access to medical attention to go have unprotected sex with whomever. If you were a girl living on the street ho'ing for money and you could get a decent sum of money just to get knocked up and then abort in 4 months. Hell they would barely show.

Quote:
They have it for blood donations, plasma donations, why not for fetus cell donations??? Who would accept an organ cultured from fetus stem cells with a 90% chance of AIDS?
The current amount of Fetuses from abortions is not enough. You really trust all companies that they will test every fetus. Damn just a month or so ago a NJ company admitted they sent out thousands of body parts and tissue they purchased from morgues illegally and untested. No the problem is greed and overseas operations dont give a rats *** about ethics as long as the money is good. They would start fetus farms where they would get improvished women pregnant and house them in filthy conditions and abort them at the best time and wait awhile and do it again. No I have no faith that it would be done right
Old 04-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #13
I liek gramer
Legacy

you're probably right corey to a degree, but we'd be better off with it than without it imo.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
you're probably right corey to a degree, but we'd be better off with it than without it imo.
There are other option to fetus stem cells like adult stem cells from people being taken off life support. There is no risk there because it would be done in a controlled environment as in a hospital. all you have to do is have yourself listed as a donor on your drivers lic and it is done. Also make a will specifying the use of your body for science. Then the greed factor, fetus factories and Aids would be nullified
Old 04-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Stem cells are not needed for the tissue samples. These come from the person needing the organs
what happens when the organ isn't present at all?... then you're SOL... because your body doesn't have totepotent cells, like a stem cell is.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
what happens when the organ isn't present at all?... then you're SOL... because your body doesn't have totepotent cells, like a stem cell is.

They dont need tissue from the same organ. You need to read the article. They are currently using only partial Bladder replacement but they are working now to develope more complete organs with general body tissue. They are already growing ears and they use regular skin tissue. These are baby steps towards the day they can regenerate body parts.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Corey, I'm going to have to disagree with you... see, the problem is you can't just get pregnant, and have an abortion, and get the stem cells... those aren't totepotent stem cells... totepotent means the cells can turn into ANY cell needed in the human body.... not just the body, but the placenta also. If you have pluripotent cells, those can turn into any human body cell... now, the problem is that totepotency ends very early on in the pregnancy, before the blastocoel forms... by that time, you have pluripotent to multipotent cells. Multipotent cells mean they can form MANY types of body cells... but not all. Think mesoderm, ectoderm or endoderm, those are the three main types. Now, the cells at the blastocyst level are these types of cells. So, if you have mesoderm multipotent cells, you can't use those to repair nervous tissue... you'd have to find ectoderm multipotent cells. But, if you can get to stem cells, which are totepotent, and you put them in an area with damaged nerve tissue, they will differentiate to form new nervous tissue...

So, by the time the woman knows she's pregnant, it would be too late to get the stem cells that are even pluripotent. What scientists want to do is take unfertilized eggs, fertilize them in a dish, and take the totepotent cells when there are roughly 16 or so in the zygote... those are totepotent.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 04-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

k too many big words.

i want a second schlong, so i can whip jimmy over the head with it when he starts using big words.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Corey, I'm going to have to disagree with you... see, the problem is you can't just get pregnant, and have an abortion, and get the stem cells... those aren't totepotent stem cells... totepotent means the cells can turn into ANY cell needed in the human body.... not just the body, but the placenta also. If you have pluripotent cells, those can turn into any human body cell... now, the problem is that totepotency ends very early on in the pregnancy, before the blastocoel forms... by that time, you have pluripotent to multipotent cells. Multipotent cells mean they can form MANY types of body cells... but not all. Think mesoderm, ectoderm or endoderm, those are the three main types. Now, the cells at the blastocyst level are these types of cells. So, if you have mesoderm multipotent cells, you can't use those to repair nervous tissue... you'd have to find ectoderm multipotent cells. But, if you can get to stem cells, which are totepotent, and you put them in an area with damaged nerve tissue, they will differentiate to form new nervous tissue...

So, by the time the woman knows she's pregnant, it would be too late to get the stem cells that are even pluripotent. What scientists want to do is take unfertilized eggs, fertilize them in a dish, and take the totepotent cells when there are roughly 16 or so in the zygote... those are totepotent.
Dude have you been awake over the last few years concerning aborted fetus stem cells. If science want to play with unfertilized eggs go for it I have no problems with that. You are in the wrong arguement.

Please post in the thread titled " totepotent and there uses"
Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
k too many big words.

i want a second schlong, so i can whip jimmy over the head with it when he starts using big words.
my bad... sorry, kinda just went over this in Bio... that's why I'm waiting for Corey to unleash his fury on my post... I'm mainly talking about repairing damaged tissue, because you can't get a brain transplant... and if you had some damage to your heart, you wouldn't need a new heart... you could just have some stem cells injected to the damaged area... and they would differentiate to form new cardiac tissue... sort of a way to fix the problem without having to have to grow a new organ, or have a donor.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #21
I liek gramer
Legacy

Basically, he's trying to say that by the time anybody knows that they're pregnant, it's too late for cells that can grow into anything.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #22
Regular

Quote:
Basically, he's trying to say that by the time anybody knows that they're pregnant, it's too late for cells that can grow into anything.
Thank you

Reddit
Old 04-04-2006, 11:00 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Dude have you been awake over the last few years concerning aborted fetus stem cells. If science want to play with unfertilized eggs go for it I have no problems with that. You are in the wrong arguement.
aborted fetus stem cells are not totepotent stem cells... science ultimately wants to get totepotent cells... but to get them, scientists would have to 'create life' and then destroy it... which is where a huge part of the "controversy" comes up. The eggs don't stay unfertilized.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
yes, thanks for clarifying... sort of like how you have these blood cell precursor stem cells that make a bunch of different blood cell types, and depending on the hormones present, the cells they throw off will differentiate into different things.

(fyi, erythropoetin is the hormone mainly responsible for red blood cells... a lot of athletes will take it to up there RBC counts to boost performance)

Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats pretty much all i understood, the rest was greek to me.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
aborted fetus stem cells are not totepotent stem cells... science ultimately wants to get totepotent cells... but to get them, scientists would have to 'create life' and then destroy it... which is where a huge part of the "controversy" comes up. The eggs don't stay unfertilized.
again wrong arguement. We are talking about 2 different things. There is vast differences in lab fertilized eggs and aborted fetus. One is trying to develope living tissue with no conquences like AIDS or greedy corporations the other is a nightmare in the making. Totepotent cells have barely divided into between 40-100 cells. I dont think many rational people would consider that a living human being. You need a microscope to even see it. Still this is the wrong arguement
Old 04-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
again wrong arguement. We are talking about 2 different things. There is vast differences in lab fertilized eggs and aborted fetus. One is trying to develope living tissue with no conquences like AIDS or greedy corporations the other is a nightmare in the making. Totepotent cells have barely divided into between 40-100 cells. I dont think many rational people would consider that a living human being. You need a microscope to even see it. Still this is the wrong arguement
I'm willing to bet you're against abortions?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
I'm willing to bet you're against abortions?
I am willing to bet you are dead wrong. You confuse my political conservatism with religious right wing conservative idology. That is an assumption you should not make. I am a Realist. I would not even being to fathom the money that would have had to be required to provide for the estimated 30,000,000 aborted and unwanted baby's in this country alone since Row Vs Wade legalized abortions.

Why dont you read my first posts instead of jumping in half ***
Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am willing to bet you are dead wrong. You confuse my political conservatism with religious right wing conservative idology. That is an assumption you should not make. I am a Realist. I would not even being to fathom the money that would have had to be required to provide for the estimated 30,000,000 aborted and unwanted baby's in this country alone since Row Vs Wade legalized abortions.

Why dont you read my first posts instead of jumping in half ***
That seemed to be the only reason why you were against the whole stem cell research, seeing as how jimmy disproved the whole spreading of AIDS. If people whould not know they are pregnant by the time the time had expired then how exactly would unprotected sex get them money?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:02 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
That seemed to be the only reason why you were against the whole stem cell research, seeing as how jimmy disproved the whole spreading of AIDS. If people whould not know they are pregnant by the time the time had expired then how exactly would unprotected sex get them money?
Again these are 2 different arguements. He was discussing the use of genetically engineered stem cells and We were originally discussing the use Human tissue to create organs which was confused with stem cell research. 2 vastly different debates and uses. Jimmy disproved nothing because he was even discussing what we were.

Did you come in on this thread just to start trouble???
Old 04-05-2006, 12:55 AM   #31
Regular

Quote:
Again these are 2 different arguements. He was discussing the use of genetically engineered stem cells and We were originally discussing the use Human tissue to create organs which was confused with stem cell research. 2 vastly different debates and uses. Jimmy disproved nothing because he was even discussing what we were.

Did you come in on this thread just to start trouble???
Why do you think he is trying to cause trouble? Maybe he just doesnt understand exactly where everyone stands on this cause I'll be honest I don't understand the exact science behind it either.

Reddit
Old 04-05-2006, 01:04 AM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Why do you think he is trying to cause trouble? Maybe he just doesnt understand exactly where everyone stands on this cause I'll be honest I don't understand the exact science behind it either.
The jumping in on post and making statements without reading the whole
thread just seemed apparent to be a response to come to jimmy's side because
the first thing that was mentioned was if I was against abortion. Not about
the actual thread. Nothing was ever mentioned about abrotion or religion.
Just " I bet you are against abortion" Come on brent if you cant see thru
that what do you need. This was a thread about a triumph of science and Nick
just mentioned Stem cells and he called it saying this would be political
and Jimmy and 232stang did try to make it so.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:08 AM   #33
Regular

but then the thread did turn political with Jimmys thread, of which you responded to. So 232stang asked a question based on you two responding to each other :dunno:

Whatever I just do not think he was trying to cause problems

Reddit
Old 04-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
but then the thread did turn political with Jimmys thread, of which you responded to. So 232stang asked a question based on you two responding to each other :dunno:

Whatever I just do not think he was trying to cause problems
No Jimmy never mentioned politics. It was all science. Unfortunately Jimmmy was talking a different stem cell usage than I was. 232 brought the first political post with "I bet you are against abortion". Which if he read the entire post he would have seen there was no implied abortion issue in this just strictly science.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:23 AM   #35
Regular

Okie Dokie lol

Reddit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar