Should it be illegal to burn the American flag? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Should it be illegal to burn the American flag?

Simple question. Do you believe it should be illegal to burn the American flag on American soil? If you do believe so what should be the punishment for this crime?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Should it be illegal to burn the American flag?

Yes it should be. While we have freedom of speech and freedom of expression, the Flag is a symbol of that freedom. If you want to burn it, then you must want to burn your freedom up as well. The Flag should be held to be as important and sacred as the bald eagle. Try shooting one of those and see what happens.

As for punishment...a hefty fine and a good numbers of community service. I would say jail time, but we have too many in jail now so there is no sense crowding them with these people. I would say a nice $250,000 fine and a minimum of 1000 hours community service.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

No, but it shouldnt be a crime for beating the **** out of someone that does.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Yes it should !! 1 year Federal Time they gotta 85% of sentance ,100,000.00 Fine

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
No, but it shouldnt be a crime for beating the **** out of someone that does.
Either what he said, or yes.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Road Trip!

After serving this nation for 23 years I am a little more than confused on this one.

Given that we do have freedom of speech, but that freedom comes with responsibilities. You have the right to yell fire, in a crowded movie theatre. but be ready to pay the consequences.

The flag stands for an ideal that is much greater than you or me, or even the cloth that takes the form of the flag. Do I like the idea of burning the flag, NO. But it is the very ideal that gives them the right to protest and burn that flag.

Now for some self admitance. Last year I burned over 50 flags. Every Flag Day we have a ceremony at the American Legion and burn the flags that the townspeople bring in. During the ceremony we say the pledge, and remain at attention and salute as the flags are burning.
ComputerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

isn't it ALREADY illegal to burn the american flag?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

It should not be illegal.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
Road Trip!

SEC. 4 That no disrespect should be shown to the flag the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water,

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying or delivering anything.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The Flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

SEC. 5 During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present except those in uniform should face the flag and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. Those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention. The salute to the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

Cliff Notes: NO
Old 04-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

^ Will do!

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:07 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy
Now for some self admitance. Last year I burned over 50 flags. Every Flag Day we have a ceremony at the American Legion and burn the flags that the townspeople bring in. During the ceremony we say the pledge, and remain at attention and salute as the flags are burning.
I don't think that is the type of burning he is refering to. Torn and tattered flags should always be burned as a dignified retirement of sorts as stated in your later post.

My problem is, if you have a problem with the country to the point you feel you must burn it's symbol....GTFO.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
I don't think that is the type of burning he is refering to. Torn and tattered flags should always be burned as a dignified retirement of sorts as stated in your later post.

My problem is, if you have a problem with the country to the point you feel you must burn it's symbol....GTFO.
I agree. I just don't like a bunch of laws. Seems like everytime Congress make a dicision, or makes a law, we get screwed. Let's make it a law, but make sure there are no spending abiligations to it. The intent is great, we have to remember one thing. With every law comes spending.

Why not do this. Make a flag a Valued item. You go into the store and buy a flag. You have to pay a recycle fee of 25.00. When you return the flag, in tatered shape, you can purchase a new one at cost. The stores donate them for proper disposal.

That way, the idiots who burn the flag in protest are out 25.00. BTW. This is a just off-the-cuff idea! I can see it now, flag abductions. OK Bad Idea!!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Quote:

Smurfin, my thoughts exactly.

This poll is asking should it be illegal to burn the flag on native soil. Obviously if you are on native soil you are either a citizen here, an illegal alien, or some dumbass tourist. My answer to all of the people who may fall into one of these categories is simple.

Get out, while your legs still work.

THERE IS NO REASON for someone to be IN this country if they are going to burn the flag.

The fine should be banishment from America and all it's property(Embassies, Territories, Military Bases, even hospitals.) After you have been banished your legs will either be broken at the femur or dipped in Sulfuric Acid.

And for those of you who say thats cruel and unusual punishment. I say yea it is, but the ****ers are basically spitting in each and every one of our faces when they do it. Get the hell out of my country before I remove you from this dimension you flag-burning bastards.

And I finally feel patriotic enough to use this smiley.... :patriot:
Old 04-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

And lets remember, once they become banished from America, we can have ol George Dubya nuke them.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Yes it should be. While we have freedom of speech and freedom of expression, the Flag is a symbol of that freedom. If you want to burn it, then you must want to burn your freedom up as well. The Flag should be held to be as important and sacred as the bald eagle. Try shooting one of those and see what happens.

As for punishment...a hefty fine and a good numbers of community service. I would say jail time, but we have too many in jail now so there is no sense crowding them with these people. I would say a nice $250,000 fine and a minimum of 1000 hours community service.
amen brotha, but punishment should be exile to a country that does not have the freedoms the person who burned the flag is so used to. thatll teach them right quick.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar