motorcycle question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
motorcycle question

ok, so if I don't get the Saleen, I'll get a GT, and I'll have some $$ left over. So I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle. I don't know all that much about them, so what I'm wondering is this: what is a good motorcycle that is decently cheap. Also, I haven't thrown out considering a crotch rocket. I'm thinking of under $3000-$3500.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to 12second5.0
Re: motorcycle question

Buying used at that price range is a gamble.I'd take someone who is very knowledgeable with you to look at the bikes you are interested in at that price range.
12second5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:02 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

dont go buy yourselve the meanest machine in the world either... thats the detour to the morgue.

i agree with 12second5.0, take one of your knowledgable buddies with you.. or buy one off a friend.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

I'd get something that would look badass, but nothing with too much power..

Then again, I'd also like to have that Doge V10 motorcycle lol

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

I'd stay away from the crotch rocket !!! Lost 2 friends in a year who bought fast bike and didn't have the skills needed to ride then .
look into a used harley clone --- Honda ,Yamaha you can find one in your price range 12second5.0 makes a very good point take someone who knows bike with you

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah Beaner, get a bike.

Like your mature enough to ride responsibly and not splat yourself somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

are you still dealing with that saleen thing, I figured you would have got it already or it would have been sold.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to tedness

crotch rockets take a lot of responsibility to ride sensibly. if you get a cruiser you're definately less likely to try anything silly or dangerous.

however, from my experience it also depends on what you need it for. me for example, i'm getting a bike for the purpose of getting me around in town.

i'm considering a honda shadow spirit 750 as it's got a decent sized engine and it isn't real expensive
Old 04-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang
I'd stay away from the crotch rocket !!! Lost 2 friends in a year who bought fast bike and didn't have the skills needed to ride then .
look into a used harley clone --- Honda ,Yamaha you can find one in your price range 12second5.0 makes a very good point take someone who knows bike with you
dude thats the dumbest thing ive heard. you can die just as fast on a cruiser/chopper compared to a crotch rocket. you nailed it on the head, they didnt have the skills to handle it. though i dont see why people just dont have willpower, you can ride a hyabusa off the bat if you wanted to, just dont go full throttle and have a little self control and youll be fine, or you can get a 600 and go full throttle everywhere and end up being scraped off the pavement with a shovel.

id look for mid 90's sportbikes if i were you. personally im looking at the early 90's FZR-600's, theyre cheap(under 2k) but still look just as nice as todays R1's and such. my buddy got one for 1500 and i loved it, if i had the money i wouldve got it from him when he sold it.

however i do like the Star cycles, the ones you can customize right out of the factory.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
dude thats the dumbest thing ive heard. you can die just as fast on a cruiser/chopper compared to a crotch rocket. you nailed it on the head, they didnt have the skills to handle it. though i dont see why people just dont have willpower, you can ride a hyabusa off the bat if you wanted to, just dont go full throttle and have a little self control and youll be fine, or you can get a 600 and go full throttle everywhere and end up being scraped off the pavement with a shovel.
Dude, don't criticize him for looking out for people. You can die just as fast walking out of your house as you can riding a crotch rocket if you wanna think about it. He's just looking out for others. I wouldn't have wanted to have a Cobra just dropped in my hands on my 16th birthday, looking back. I'd have gotten myself killed.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Dumb ? No just my option

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 04MonteSS

I'd consider getting an older bike, if I were to get one, it would be this one. I mean with a sidecar there is less of a chance of falling over plus you can put like a backpack or something in that sidecar. Plus I love the style of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d0_1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	12858  
Michael Moore and I actually have a lot in common - we both appreciate living in a country where there's free expression, but Michael, if you ever show up at my front door with a camera - I'll kill you.
04MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Monte
I'd consider getting an older bike, if I were to get one, it would be this one. I mean with a sidecar there is less of a chance of falling over plus you can put like a backpack or something in that sidecar. Plus I love the style of it
That looks like the bikes the Nazis rode in Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
Yeah Beaner, get a bike.

Like your mature enough to ride responsibly and not splat yourself somewhere.
please don't judge my maturity when you've never met me. I obviously have no problem obeying the speed limit... considering I've been driving since 16 (5+ years), and have never been pulled over for speeding... or doing anything wreckless. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm dumb.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 04-24-2006, 06:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude

id look for mid 90's sportbikes if i were you. personally im looking at the early 90's FZR-600's, theyre cheap(under 2k) but still look just as nice as todays R1's and such. my buddy got one for 1500 and i loved it, if i had the money i wouldve got it from him when he sold it.

however i do like the Star cycles, the ones you can customize right out of the factory.
You can die fairly easily on anything with 2 wheels. I like sport bikes. I used to have one.I decided to get rid of it because the temptation was always there to go fast or do something stupid.( I like speed) My current ride is a Harley softail.Great bike.Looks good,sounds good and the temptation of doing something dumb is not there any more. I will agree that everyone is different and has different maturity levels as well as skill levels but saying someone wrecked and died because they just couldn't handle a bike is just as equally dumb.There is just too many factors.............
Old 04-24-2006, 06:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I say get what you want Jimmy.Keep this in mind,if you have never ridden a bike before then don't get one until you get some seat time on something like a dirt bike.You can't hardly hurt them but you can hurt your self.If you can't ride with no obstacles(such as cars) then you have no business on one..........just my 2 cents......
Old 04-24-2006, 07:26 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12second5.0
I say get what you want Jimmy.Keep this in mind,if you have never ridden a bike before then don't get one until you get some seat time on something like a dirt bike.You can't hardly hurt them but you can hurt your self.If you can't ride with no obstacles(such as cars) then you have no business on one..........just my 2 cents......
I know... but unfortunately for me, my learning will happen on the bike that I'll ride. Also, luckily for me, Iowa doesn't have a lot of traffic, so I'll be able to learn without obstacles for the most part. Our driveway is big enough for my first full day's worth of learning. Also, I live 1/10th of a mile from the highway, and we get maybe one car every 10-15 minutes... but there are times during the day when it's like 1 car every 30 minutes... so if I got feeling ok on the bike, I could try to take it out during that time. I just need to get good enough on it that I can pass my motorcycle test.

speaking of which, what all is entailed in becoming legal? I learn very quickly, and I'm hoping to get legal in not very long. Oh, by the way, this IS happening, I'm not just putting it out there. Notice, I never asked if I should get one, I asked which one I should get... but I think I've found what I want... an I'm leaning towards the Suzuki Katana.. the 600 cc species. I realize it's not as fast as the 750 cc, but I don't need or want to go that fast... I want a hot looking bike that can get up and go if I need it to. I think they said 80 horsepower on the 600 cc.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

A katana is a good bike.I had the GSXR 750 which is a big step above.Suzuki builds great street bikes and you should be able to find a Katana in your price range.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:39 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
A katana is a good bike.I had the GSXR 750 which is a big step above.Suzuki builds great street bikes and you should be able to find a Katana in your price range.
yeah, I've found several... even the 2002's are in my price range which I love... but also, I saw a 1992 that still looked HOT. What's a good mileage on a bike? Like what kind of average mileage in a year? I know for cars they figure about 10,000 miles a year.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It's really hard to average the miles on a street bike.Every region of the country is different due to riding conditions.I'd consider any bike that has less than 10,000 miles and 5 years old or less.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
It's really hard to average the miles on a street bike.Every region of the country is different due to riding conditions.I'd consider any bike that has less than 10,000 miles and 5 years old or less.
I found a 2002 with 2000 miles, and it's not that far from me... I asked them about a price, so we'll see what happens. I could pick it up this weekend if they get back to me on it... I'll be using some of my check from my insurance check for my car to buy it.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Good deal.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

so what all is involved in getting legal to ride them?

Old 04-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #24
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

i believe most areas have "motorcycle classes" or training or something, which can lead to getting your license. I think they give you a bike to ride at the classes and you can get a discount on your insurance.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

they don't let you ride your own bike? Plus, how many of these classes until most people get their license? I learn really fast, so I'm hoping I can get legal quick.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
they don't let you ride your own bike? Plus, how many of these classes until most people get their license? I learn really fast, so I'm hoping I can get legal quick.
Why use your own bike to crash? I suggest taking the course and using their bike.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:01 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

alright, but I'll make sure to drive my dad's F-250 to the class, with my bike in the back of the truck ... just because I have separation issues.

so anyway, I'm looking for a timeline, about how long should this take for me to be able to ride around legally?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
That looks like the bikes the Nazis rode in Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade.
Russian actually, I love the look of that bike, just put some decals on it and its done.
Michael Moore and I actually have a lot in common - we both appreciate living in a country where there's free expression, but Michael, if you ever show up at my front door with a camera - I'll kill you.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Naw, the Jones's always fought Nazis. Except in Temple of Doom. But that movie sucked, so it doesn't get counted.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:44 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Well the bike in the pic is Russian
Old 04-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

All my dirt bikes were Yamaha's All my street Bikes were Suzuki's The Katana 600 or 750 are excellent bikes they are really the same bike with the only difference being the engine. I had a Katana 750, Katana 1100 and a GSXR 1100. I never spilled or got road rash on any streetbike . But I was a cautious rider. I rarely zipped between traffic and I always watched out for car and truck drivers not paying attention. Never drive in the blindspot of a car. The biggest cause of wrecks is not paying attention and road gravel especially on exit ramps and entrance ramps on Highways and curves where there is washout from rain and gravel in loose on the road, you hit that stuff while leaning into a curve and you are going down. The tires will slip on the gravel and the bike will just come out from under you. I have probably 30 friends that this has happened to.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Mark, thats the same thing I was thinking when he posted the pic of that bike lol
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

these are the two bike models I'm looking at.

The Suzuki SV 650S

The Suzuki GSX/Katana
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suzuki SV650S 2.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	12883   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998 Suzuki GSX-Katana.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	12884  

Old 04-25-2006, 10:24 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

i know nothing about bikes but i do know that the first one is sexier. in my opinion, the other one looks too big and hunky.. like a cacoon or something.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:48 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have to agree... I love the looks of that SV 650S... even though it only has 71 horsepower. It's a 2 cylinder, 4 stroke engine... how much better is the 4 cylinder, 4 stroke?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar