500 Chemical Weapons Found in Iraq Since 2003? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
500 Chemical Weapons Found in Iraq Since 2003?

Quote:
The United States has found 500 chemical weapons in Iraq since 2003, and more weapons of mass destruction are likely to be uncovered, two Republican lawmakers said Wednesday.

"We have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, chemical weapons," Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., said in a quickly called press conference late Wednesday afternoon.

Reading from a declassified portion of a report by the National Ground Intelligence Center, a Defense Department intelligence unit, Santorum said: "Since 2003, coalition forces have recovered approximately 500 weapons munitions which contain degraded mustard or sarin nerve agent. Despite many efforts to locate and destroy Iraq's pre-Gulf War chemical munitions, filled and unfilled pre-Gulf War chemical munitions are assessed to still exist."

Click here to read the declassified portion of the NGIC report.

He added that the report warns about the hazards that the chemical weapons could still pose to coalition troops in Iraq.

"The purity of the agents inside the munitions depends on many factors, including the manufacturing process, potential additives and environmental storage conditions. While agents degrade over time, chemical warfare agents remain hazardous and potentially lethal," Santorum read from the document.
FOXNews.com - Report: Hundreds of WMDs Found in Iraq - U.S. Senate

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #2

Region: Missouri
Re: 500 Chemical Weapons Found in Iraq Since 2003?

I was waiting for this to happen. I just cant believe how ignorant everyone was when we couldnt find any. Of course he had chemical weapons, he used them!! Do we really think that a guy like Saddam Hussein would cooperate with the U.N. and get rid of them? Not a chance. It is a shame that the Bush administration took so much flack because we couldnt find any. I have been counting on this day since the war began
blk99stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Yes, I have heard of this. There have also been other weapon finds that have not been disclosed but the troops know about them...

Old 06-21-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to 12second5.0

I knew they would find something.I bet the liberals and the liberal media are dissappointed...........
12second5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

News like this has been out for a while, but the media hides it for the most part.

That's why it seems new to everyone, and 90% of the population will never know.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

it was never on any democratic media stations(95% of them) because its good news about why were there, and proves the president made a good decision.

i DO remember hearing tidbits on FOXnews but it never got past that. one station can only do so much.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ya but, Michael Moore said.............
Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 AM   #8
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12second5.0
Ya but, Michael Moore said.............
nothing you idiots!
Michael Moores's dead, he's locked in my basement! (Ha-ha!)

Reddit
Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
nothing you idiots!
Michael Moores's dead, he's locked in my basement! (Ha-ha!)
He never lies.He speaks the truth..........
Old 06-22-2006, 12:55 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Saw it coming.

I should walk around with a shirt that has that report on it, with big bold letters on the WMD's found in Iraq

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:57 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Here is the deal with all of this. Whoever thought we should have found everything in 1 or 2 years as most liberals suggested shows how little they know about searching for items a rogue government wants to hide and their lack of understanding the history of searching for hiden secrets.

It was years after WWII before we found all the secret stuff hidden by the Nazi's.

Iraqi Generals captured after the Military conflict was over said Saddam had deployed Chemical weapons to the Artillery units of the Republican Guard only to pull them at the last minute. But no the liberal's never wanted to consider that intell as valid.

I bet 10 years from now we will be finding more info on Iraq.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:04 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

^ Not to mention the hundreds of miles of desert.

It's like looking for a single flea on a caribou.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:06 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

and you know american guys, we look at something and if we dont see it we give up. Where is the remote... dont see it so im not moving to look for it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I agree that there are WMD's there and we have not found them yet. We have known about those and those weapons have been there since before the Gulf War. Those are unusable weapons that we have known about for years so sadly those dont count as to what we are looking for
Old 06-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
I agree that there are WMD's there and we have not found them yet. We have known about those and those weapons have been there since before the Gulf War. Those are unusable weapons that we have known about for years so sadly those dont count as to what we are looking for
Actually you are wrong. Some of the chemical Artillery shells that were found were manufactured well after Desert Storm. See this is where the comedy of the press comes to play. After the Iraqi Army capitulated in 2003 several Generals of the Republican Guard Artillery divisions told US interrogators that Saddam had issued Chemical shells to the divisions to be used if the US forces invaded. When Saddam realized we were coming about a week before the invasion his son who controlled the RG had trucks come and retrieve the shells. Saddam had 12 years to play the shell game with inspectors and the US forces. To believe for one moment a year or so to find evidence, as the media and the liberals suggest, in a country the size of Texas is insane. Like I said on another thread After WWII we were uncovering material and programs 20 years after the Germans surrendered and that is a country the size of Alabama. You have to remember some of the UN 12 resolutions against Iraq was a failure to destroy WMD as it was also a condition of the cease fire during desert storm. So in effect there should be zero shells.

It is that simple
Old 06-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

I remember at the begining of the war we found these chemical trucks, where they were like Vans or trucks that had a chemical lab in the back of it to make chemical weapons.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
I remember at the begining of the war we found these chemical trucks, where they were like Vans or trucks that had a chemical lab in the back of it to make chemical weapons.
No. Those were described in the lead-up to the war as justification for invasion. They were never found.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
No. Those were described in the lead-up to the war as justification for invasion. They were never found.

Actually they were found. The problem with those were they were not mobile labs. The UN had originally said they were for testing food but why were all 11 buried in the sand. No they never found any trace of Chemicals or Biohazards in them. But what was found is they were used to fill surveillance and weather baloons with Hydrogen. But again I ask why were they buried?????
Old 06-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
But again I ask why were they buried?????
Really bad sand storm?

It is rather funny how this story is being downplayed on some other boards. some serious thought is going into posts on why this news it not proof of the pres' claims at the beginning.

I still stand by my statement of...I don't care if they find a million or no WMDs...we still need to be there for the good of those *****ing about us being there....we just need a stiffer back bone while we are there.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:23 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

here is a reply from someone on svtperformance.com I dont say I agree with what is said just interesting.

Thread for reading: SVTPerformance

Quote:
Eddy’s right here. And from the looks of it, I’m just a little too late. Looks like a couple of your republicans already came in your pants. Too bad, but I’m going to have to wake you from your wet dream.

ROFLMAO!!!! Are you for real?! This is your smoking gun?! PLEASE tell me you aren’t serious. I have finally figured out the difference between Republican’s and Democrats. Republicans believe anything they read without taking the time to understand what they actually read.

Before we begin this analysis, let’s get one thing perfectly straight. Something that BOTH republicans and democrats agree. Saddam had and used chemical weapons before the Gulf War. Only an idiot believed Saddam NEVER had chemical weapons. Everyone knows he used them on the Kurds. That isn't why we invaded. It was because he was supposed to destroy them after the Gulf War and we said he didn’t, was actively pursuing their production, and was stockpiling them..

Now that we have established that there were Pre-Gulf War chemical weapons in Iraq, I suggest you more carefully READ the document and TRY and understand what has been said, and NOT said.

There are 6 key points. Let's examine and consider each one separately.

Here we go:

1. "Since 2003 Coalition forces have recovered approximately 500 weapons munitions which contained degraded mustard or sarin nerve gas."

Well... what are 'weapons munitions' exactly? A bullet is a munition. In the above context, these are most likely be motar rounds, artillary shells, storage canisters, etc. Further what does 'contained' mean? Does this mean, weapons munitions which had previously contained these chemicals agents and which merely now have trace amounts of the substances? This is what I suspect, else the statement would use the present tense of the word ‘contain’, instead of its past tense ‘contained’. Finally, the 'degraded' is the key word that has to be examined. Chemical weapons don't degrade overnight, so these agents were old, as in Pre-Gulf War munitions. Also, it doesn’t way where they were found or how long they had been there. You can still find unexploded artillery and mortar shells on old WWI battle fields that have degraded mustard gas. So what?

Frankly, all this statement tells me is that in three years of looking 100,000 plus U.S. troops and god knows how many "coalition" troops have found 500 or so old *** motor shells, artillery shells, or even containment canisters, most of which only had degraded trace amounts of old *** chemical weapons.

500 munitions is darn near nothing. That is a small amount when you consider the size of the army and the number of chemical weapons that Saddam originally had. Hell, I’m surprised we didn’t find much more of the old stuff.

This is hardly a stock pile. This isn't an arsenal. This isn't even usable in any true tactical sense that represented itself as a threat to the US or any other nation. Now this is a key point. If what had been found truly represented a threat, the Bush administration would have been waving it around like a flag and proclaiming “SEE!!! SEE!!! I told you so!!!”

2. "Despite many efforts to locate and destroy Iraq's pre-Gulf War chemical munitions, fill and unfilled Pre-Gulf War chemical munitions are assessed to still exist."

Now this is a weird statement. "ASSESSED to still exist"?! What the hell does that mean? It means they are "believed" to still exist based on information but haven't been found yet. Note that it only refers to "PRE” Gulf War chemicals. This tells me that they now believe Saddam had abandoned his chemical weapons programs, as he said, and didn't manufacture or acquire any new chemical weapons after the Gulf War.

This also tells me that we believe that there are still remnants of the old pre-gulf war chemical weapons laying around somewhere. Duh.... Do you honestly think that after having a chemical weapons program and stockpile, that despite anyone’s best efforts that some of the stuff would get overlooked or misplaced? Hell, even the US lost an entire nuclear bomb!

3. "Pre-Gulf War Iraqi chemical weapons could be sold on the black market. Use of these weapons by terrorists or insurgent groups would have implications for Coalition forces in Iraq. The possibility of use outside Iraq cannot be ruled out."

Duh... No ***** Sherlock.... IF they truly exist and IF the insurgents and/or terrorists can get their hands on them, and IF they are still anygood. But there is one HUGE glaring fact: In three years, the terrorist/insurgents have NOT used them in Iraq or outside of Iraq. This is a strong indication that they can't find them either, or that having found them, they were no good.

Do you think they haven't looked just as hard as we have? And if they found them, and they found more than just a handful, they would not have already used them in their attacks? Hell, even if they had a little bit, they would have used it already just to make a statement and to do what they most want to do: TERRORIZE!!!

This statement is meaningless. All it says is that "IF" insurgents/terrorists find old Pre-Gulf War chemical weapons they would use them against us. Duh.... is this really a big new revelation to the Republicans that requires a declassified document to figure out?

4. “The most likely munitions remaining are sarin and mustard filled projectiles.”

WOW… another huge revelation. First the words “most likely” equals SPECULATION. This means this statement is an educated GUESS. But I agree with this guess. These are what Saddam had PRE-Gulf War and is what would most likely remain in Iraq today. Stop and think about it: Unexploded battle field mortars and/or artillery shells that didn’t explode when used, or discarded shells left on the field during exercises or during use. And simply misplaced ordinances.

This statement is just another statement of the obvious. If there are misplaced or unaccounted for chemical weapons, these are what they are most likely are. Again… did it take this report to help you figure this out?

5. “The purity of the agent inside the munitions depends on many factors, including the manufacturing process, potential additives, and environmental storage conditions. While agents degrade over time, chemical warfare agents remain hazardous and potentially lethal.”

This is just more of the same… a statement of the obvious. It means nothing more than the following: If there are PRE-Gulf War chemical munitions which are located, they could still be lethal, harmful, or maybe just worthless. It just depends.

<yawn> You mean that unexploded shell from the attack on the Kurds, or that was discarded or misplaced may not be a threat at all? That’s right Jack. It just depends.

Now, I do like the way they left their best statement for last:

6. “It has been reported in open press that insurgents and Iraqi groups desire to acquire and use chemical weapons.”

Alright, which General had to read this kernel of wisdom in the paper to figure this out?! I mean COME ON!!! They are killing us with bullets, RPGs, and bombs. Don’t you think they would love to take out even more of us if they had a juicy chemical weapon ready to go?

SUMMARY:

When you boil this document down here is what it says:

After three years of searching our assess off, a small number of various munitions used to deliver chemical agents have been found that were from prior to the Gulf War which had trace amounts of degraded chemicals on or in them. There is likely more laying around somewhere. The insurgents would love to get their hands on it and use it against us. Of course, whether or not the stuff is still any good after all this time just depends.

POINT OF INTEREST:

Why the weird wording? Why now? If you think for a second that this document isn’t purposefully prepared and worded to make the administration look good then…

Well…. Just look at the effect it had on DaleM and 203Cree. And I told them not to give candy to the children so close to their bed times!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
here is a reply from someone on svtperformance.com I dont say I agree with what is said just interesting.
That would be the thread I was mostly refering to in my downplay statement. I thought about posting that reply for discussion too...Just reading that you can tell the guy is a lawyer...
Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #22
Regular

He made good points

Reddit
Old 06-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Very Good Points !! Like Danger Dude said we'll be finding weapons for years to come

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

Thread for reading: SVTPerformance
That was laughable reading from a person who right off the bat slams Republicans and Conservatives. He tries to make what appears factual claims but he is riddled with inconsistancies and untruths such as. He claims we lost a Nuclear Weapon. We as a country have never lost a Nuclear weapon and not known where it was. We have had Aircraft crash and subs sink with nuclear weapons on them Hell we even dropped one accidently near Las Vegas but it was not armed but we have not misplaced one.

He is also one of those who think we should have uncovered every stone in a year or so. Really I will disagree simple because there are places in the Sunni triangle that are way to dangerous to tromp around in with experts looking for WMD. remember it is not going to be sitting in a warehouse marked WMD. That is only on Road Runner and Wiley Coyote cartoons or some other goofball show. Like I said it is bull crap no matter what is found the nay sayers are going to make some excuse why it does not count and that is ****ing nonsense. Saddam had 12 years to get rid of all the WMD like he said he did and he lied and now he stands trial in Iraq BY GOD
Old 06-22-2006, 04:01 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

One more thing most people dont know. When the UN shut down the nuclear facilities in Iraq after desert storm, where do you think they stored the 2 tons of enriched uranium and several tons of natural and depleted uranium. Well the UN stored it in Tuwaitha where the development was occuring. The UN was safe guarding it until they were kicked out in 98. Well guess what it is gone!!!!

If you want real reading read these

room 3-03 The Briefing Room

Greenpeace - Nuclear Press Archive

I typically dont post greenpeace sites but this shows even the ultra liberals knew there was weapons grade nuclear material there and it was unguarded.

Well it seems there is a boat load of Enriched Uranium is missing. REALLY and they had no weapons program. Why did Saddam prevent and lock up his nuclear Scientist until they were freed when we toppled Saddam.

To think for one minute Saddam did not have a plan to rebuild his military infrustructure after the Sanction had been lifted lives with their head deep in the sand
Old 06-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #26
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12second5.0
{re:Michael Moore}
He never lies.He speaks the truth..........
...and teh mighty LS1 can nevah lose!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR
People are finally starting to figure it out! My prayers have been answered!

I like turtles.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:48 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

^ D'oh!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:50 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR
Now we must understand why this. For you see, he who knows not the taste of victory may never truly taste defeat.

I read that in a cookie somewhere.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:23 PM   #30
Regular

Truthdig - A/V Booth - Fox News Debunks Santorum's WMD Claim

Quote:
Mere hours after Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) announced breathlessly at a press conference that “we have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq,” a FOX news reporter found out that Santorum was hyping a document that describes degraded, pre-1991 munitions already acknowledged and dismissed by the White House’s Iraq Survey Group.

Reddit
Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
here is a reply from someone on svtperformance
i dunno bout you, but i usually would stop right there.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

All he is doing is what he said the administration is doing: skewing the article to serve his purpose. You can look at any document you want and turn it into a Bible with as many interpretations as there are people. He proved absolutely NOTHING in all that "blah, blah, blah". And the stuff he pulled out not pertaining to the article, he has offered no proof of. Not very impressive to me if he is a lawyer. But I suppose it would convince most of the "sheep" people out there.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

The fact of the matter is, when the administration was pitching this war to washington, us, and the world, old weapons dumps full of degraded munitions left over from a war that's better than 20 years old weren't the reason that we were going over there. Chem\Bio\Nuke weapon production was the reason. Saddam was building an arsenal of everything we are afraid of and he was going to hand it all off to everybody that wanted to hurt us. We were going to see an Iraqi made smallpox epidemic, Iraqi sarin gas released in metropolitan areas, and Iraqi made nuclear weapons detonated in our large port cities. Colin Powel wasn't standing in front of everybody pointing to a map of Iraq saying "out there somewhere are a few stores of 30 year old chemical weapon artillery shells. They're degraded and worthless, but we need to invade and find them."

I like turtles.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
The fact of the matter is, when the administration was pitching this war to washington, us, and the world, old weapons dumps full of degraded munitions left over from a war that's better than 20 years old weren't the reason that we were going over there. Chem\Bio\Nuke weapon production was the reason. Saddam was building an arsenal of everything we are afraid of and he was going to hand it all off to everybody that wanted to hurt us. We were going to see an Iraqi made smallpox epidemic, Iraqi sarin gas released in metropolitan areas, and Iraqi made nuclear weapons detonated in our large port cities. Colin Powel wasn't standing in front of everybody pointing to a map of Iraq saying "out there somewhere are a few stores of 30 year old chemical weapon artillery shells. They're degraded and worthless, but we need to invade and find them."
All I know is I don't care if we went in there because Bush was having a bad case of Vaginitis...we needed to remove sadam and his family from this planet. They did no good for humanity. Torture, rape, and murder are good enough reasons for me. Not to mention the fact they were hording so many collectible cars that they didn't deserve.

I don't care if the CIA botched the information they gave to Bush. The regime needed to go...period.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Some have degraded however that does not mean they are worthless but under the UN resolutions and conditions of surrender after Desert Storm Illegal to have and he said they were destroyed!!!

But I am not here to defend Bush. I think there were calculated mistakes leading us up to war. I would have rather him had said SADDAM was a sponsor of terrorism (Which he was) and a essential target on the war on terror and we will come after you when we are through with Afghanistan and put thoses additional 130,000 troops in Afghanistan and completely wiped the taliban and Al Queda off the map.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar