North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile

North Korea test-launched a Taepodong-2 missile early Wednesday along with several short-range rockets, but the long-range missile apparently failed, U.S. officials said.

The White House said there was no immediate threat to the United States, but called the North Korean tests "a provocation."

U.S. National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley said there were five missile launches in all. One was the Taepodong-2 missile, and the other four were short-range.

A short time after Hadley spoke, North Korea launched a sixth missile, U.S. military sources said.

A senior official confirmed the first three launches were at 2:33 p.m. ET Tuesday (3:33 a.m. Wednesday in North Korea), 3:04 p.m. ET and 4.:01 p.m. ET. The official said the third launch, of the long-range rocket, failed after 42 seconds.

North Korea's preparations for a long-range missile test have been closely monitored for weeks. A senior State Department official told CNN the Taepodong-2, which some U.S. analysts fear could hit the western United States, appears to have failed in flight.

Two smaller North Korean missiles were fired from a different site shortly before the larger missile was tested, U.S. intelligence and State Department officials said.

U.S. military sources said those two missiles landed in the Sea of Japan, one closer to Russia and the other closer to Japan.

White House press secretary Tony Snow said that after President George W. Bush was informed of the tests, he spoke to Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Hadley.

Hadley described the tests as "provocative behavior."

"We can now examine what the launches tell us about the intentions of North Korea," he said.

Christopher Hill, assistant secretary of state, was to travel to North Asia on Wednesday to consult with countries there on the latest series of tests, Snow said.

In Tokyo Wednesday, a government spokesman said Japan will consider sanctions against North Korea over the missile launches, Kyodo news agency reported.

In Seoul, Yonhap news agency said the South Korean government had called a ministerial meeting early Wednesday morning in reaction to the tests.

In Beijing, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman said China was awaiting further information before responding.

Launch Timing

A senior U.S. State Department official said the launches were timed to coincide with the launch of the space shuttle Discovery from Florida, calling it "a provocative act designed to get attention."

Analysts said the tests appeared to have been intended to draw international attention back to North Korea -- and to the stalled talks aimed at convincing Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear weapons program.

North Korea is believed to have the capability to produce several nuclear weapons but has never tested one.

"They are trying to send quite a signal not only to the United States but to the rest of the world that they should be taken quite seriously," said Wendy Sherman, a former State Department official who held talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Il during the Clinton administration.

At the United Nations, U.S. Ambassador John Bolton said he was "urgently consulting" with other members of the 15-nation Security Council.

Washington and North Korea's Asian neighbors -- South Korea, China, Russia and Japan -- have been trying to persuade North Korea to give up its nuclear program since 2002, but those talks have stalled in recent months.

Jim Walsh, a national security analyst at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said the intent of the test appeared to be aimed at drawing attention back to North Korean demands in the six-party talks. But Walsh said the tests "do not represent an immediate military threat to the United States."

"It's very difficult technology. They very clearly have not mastered it," he said. "Most estimates are they will not master it for another 10 years."

The United States, Japan and other countries have warned North Korea against a long-range missile test. The North Koreans fired a Taepodong-1 missile over Japan in 1998, but declared a moratorium on future tests in 1999.

"One would expect from any administration for there to be sanctions, for there to be a tough response to this," Sherman said.

'Harassment' Accusation

On Monday, North Korea's state-run media accused the United States of harassing it and vowed to respond to any pre-emptive attack "with a relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear war with a mighty nuclear deterrent." (Watch why North Korea is talking about annihilating the U.S. -- 2:04)

The White House has dismissed that threat as "hypothetical." (Full story)

But the U.S. Northern Command increased security measures at its Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station in Colorado Springs, Colorado, a few weeks ago, a military official confirmed Tuesday.

The base is the seat of the North American Aerospace Defense Command, and some of its command-and-control operations might be used if the United States attempted to use its ballistic missile interceptors to shoot down a Taepodong-2 test.

But a Pentagon official said the missile appears to have failed on its own, without any American effort to knock it down.

In other planning measures instituted in the past several days, Northern Command, along with the Federal Aviation Administration, has put standby commercial flight restrictions into place over Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and Fort Greely, Alaska, where U.S. interceptor missiles are based.

President Bush warned last week that the isolated Stalinist state would face even further isolation if it launched the Taepodong-2, which U.S. analysts fear is capable of reaching the western United States. (Full story)

"The North Koreans have made agreements with us in the past, and we expect them to keep their agreements," Bush said last month at the end of a European Union summit.

"It should make people nervous when nontransparent regimes, that have announced that they've got nuclear warheads, fire missiles," Bush said. "This is not the way you conduct business in the world. This is not the way that peaceful nations conduct their affairs."

CNN.com - U.S. officials: North Korea tests long-range missile - Jul 4, 2006

Thoughts?

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: North Korea

Japan is more of a threat to them than us. If North Korea keeps it up then Japan is going to bust a cap in their ***.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: North Korea

Red China isn't real happy with North Korea either

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile

maybe theyre just celebrating 4th of july too :dunno:

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:51 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol China + Japan against North Korea?

China will send troops, Japan will send busted up playstations. That should annoy North Koreans for awhile.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

:rofl:

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

lawl....... fear the never to be good Virtual Boy... that stupid thing pissed me off just for the fact it was on a tripod and i couldn't play it at walmart cuz i was to short at the time.... NUKE'EM!
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Kim Jong Il is just a little prick that wants attention. We are doing what we should be by ignoring his pasty ***.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

dude if i was the president man, id make the rest of the world realize you dont threaten the country that invented nuclear technology, by dropping a bomb on each capitol of every country that even so much speaks of ever rising against with nuclear weapons.

i think alot of **** talking countries dont know what nuclear weapons do. japan does, thats why they dont talk ****, even though right now their economy and drive is far superior than ours, they know whats up. all these n00bs to the nuclear arms race need to get smacked back into 1st grade.

id also send a squadron of B52's on full alert and have them circle north korea 24/7, each of them loaded and ready to drop the second ****tard kim jong sends up another missle.

you know what though? i mean its cool if you want to test rockets and **** for defensive purposes and learning weapon technology. i mean if he came out and said maturely "i would like to test weapons that i could use to defend my country, anyone got some pointers?" itd be all good. but he comes out saying "im getting ready to strap a nuke to these and im just seeing how far theyll go. any attempt to disable one in transit is an act of war" is just retarded, especially since he is NOT supposed to have nuclear weapons and just basically admitted to having them and IMO is reason enough to invade his sorry country. too bad well sit behind the UN on this one for a few years till we get the balls to do something about these ****tard dicktaters.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

N. Korea is wanting to get butt hurt... they dont think we can do it or will... they may be suprised.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:59 AM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
N. Korea is wanting to get butt hurt... they dont think we can do it or will... they may be suprised.
No, they won't be suprised. By the time we get around to it Bush will be out of office. With the response he has had over the Iraq deal, the next Pres whether Rep, Dem, or Ind will not do anything to N. Korea. The UN will levy sanctions...we all know how well those work...and we will sit back and continue receiving our ***** slapping from the world community. No one that runs will have the balls to make a stand against anyone. That is just a sad truth about politicians these days. They are like a honduh civics...all show and no go.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

vote for me, i have the heuvos to take care of these ****talkers. if i had the greatest and most powerful military in the world, i would not be afraid to use it.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

It is not our responsibility to thump N Korea it is CHINA's problem. They created N. Korea they can dismantle it. The only thing we are there for is to secure our allies Japan, South Korea and to prevent N. Korea from disrupting of trade between the US and Asia.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
It is not our responsibility to thump N Korea it is CHINA's problem. They created N. Korea they can dismantle it. The only thing we are there for is to secure our allies Japan, South Korea and to prevent N. Korea from disrupting of trade between the US and Asia.
True. If it wasn't for China, we would have finished them off 50 years ago and Korea would be a single, unified country.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
Regular

Region: Tennessee

We should start testing our long range missiles.

Oh wait, we don't have too... we already know ours work.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #16
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

North Korea doesn't have enough gas to invade South Korea.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #17
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
We should start testing our long range missiles.

Oh wait, we don't have too... we already know ours work.
My dad works for a contracter for the missile deffense system. Apparently the tests for this system have been pretty good. So they can shoot at us all they want, they won't re-enter the atmosphere. At least, thats how I understand it.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #18
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

There have been several key failures though. And several times they almost axed a lot of the PAC-3, Patriot, THAAD type programs. But I doubt they will now. I've been away from that stuff for over a year now and god knows how much could have changed by now.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar