The do you believe in God thread - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
Yes, I believe. 22 73.33%
No, I don't believe. 5 16.67%
Agnostic 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:50 PM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: The do you believe in God thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Sorry just can't buy into the fact that there is some supernatural being that gets to decide how I live
He doesn't decide how you live, that's the whole point. God has given us freedom of choice to choose what we do in our own lives. He has simply given his son as the sacrifice for the sins we commit. We have freedom of choice to do as we please, there are just consequences to how we live.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 10:51 PM   #37
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
He doesn't decide how you live, that's the whole point. God has given us freedom of choice to choose what we do in our own lives. He has simply given his son as the sacrifice for the sins we commit. We have freedom of choice to do as we please, there are just consequences to how we live.
Right follow him or burn in hell.

So basically he chooses how you live should you not want to suffer for eternity.

Yea...

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:52 PM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

So basically he chooses how you live should you not want to suffer for eternity.

Yea...
Would you rather have freedom of choice to choose him freely or just no chance at all and know that you will spend eternity in hell with no hope of repentance. He sent his son to give us, as sinners, a way back into repentence and heaven. Without God sending his son, we would have no other way into heaven.
Our's:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 10:55 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Quote:
Would you rather have freedom of choice to choose him freely or just no chance at all and know that you will spend eternity in hell with no hope of repentance. He sent his son to give us, as sinners, a way back into repentence and heaven. Without God sending his son, we would have no other way into heaven.
Here is something I never understood, God sent his son to die for our sins. Without Jesus dying we would all go to hell? But isnt god the one who decided who is admitted to heaven? Why couldn't he just forgive the sins without sacraficing his son?
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #40
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE View Post
Here is something I never understood, God sent his son to die for our sins. Without Jesus dying we would all go to hell? But isnt god the one who decided who is admitted to heaven? Why couldn't he just forgive the sins without sacraficing his son?
because the story wouldnt have been as good

Reddit
Old 07-20-2006, 11:00 PM   #41
Regular

Quote:
I'd rather not have someone who somehow created himself out of nothingness to tell me I had to live one way or I was going to a "hell" to suffer for eternity.

Reddit
Old 07-20-2006, 11:00 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Here is something I never understood, God sent his son to die for our sins. Without Jesus dying we would all go to hell?
no read the old testement(sp) it was possible to go to heaven before jesus died on the cross, it just took alot more work.

as for the other part, he did it so he could let us know he loved us more than anything else, including his son.

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:02 PM   #43
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor View Post
no read the old testement(sp) it was possible to go to heaven before jesus died on the cross, it just took alot more work.

as for the other part, he did it so he could let us know he loved us more than anything else, including his son.
He he wants us to know he loves us more than anyone else he should start by not allowing a 12 year old girl to be killed by a drunk driver that has suspended license for 2 other dui's.

Remember the flood?

I am pretty sure that the current world is in a state much worse than anything that was going on in Noahs day.

So whens God say... alright enough sin... kill em all!

Reddit
Old 07-20-2006, 11:02 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor View Post

But why sacrafice his son to make it easier to go to heaven? HE is the one that decides.
Aren't we also God's children? Coudn't God show us he loved us by showing himself and telling us as opposed to scraficing his son?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #45
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:

Yea...
See, I think that is where religion falls short. I don't believe it says anywhere that "if you don't believe in me, you will burn in hell or rot in purgatory". We have the choice to believe or not believe, but I Think it is just a fabrication of the church that says believe or burn. I think the whole problem with religion...and the total downfall of it...is the church. I think you also need to do more than just "believe" to not burn. I think you need to live your life right...help others...and not be a selfish prick that says **** everyone but me. The church doesn't say this....because they want your money and are trying to scare you into believing and I Think that is a major reason as to why so many do not believe. No one wants to be forced to think a certain way.

Well...I guess I will stop now...I don't think there is any way to prove anything until you are dead. When you are dead...you will either reunite with the alien souls that were banished here....meet God or the Devil....or just feed the wormies in the ground. Either way, you won't know what is going on and you won't be able to prove it to anyone....
Old 07-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #46
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

rob...
ur genious turns me on
+1 for titty shots
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:07 PM   #47
Regular

Rob turns you on?

Damn.. a religion thread has gone gay.

Reddit
Old 07-20-2006, 11:08 PM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
But why sacrafice his son to make it easier to go to heaven? HE is the one that decides.
Aren't we also God's children? Coudn't God show us he loved us by showing himself and telling us as opposed to scraficing his son?
He is his son, they are one in the same. Ever heard of the trinity, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. So, He did send himself to earth to show that he cares and that he is willing to forgive. And it wasn't to just make it easier, it is the only way. True, in the old testament, you could make sacrifices from all you have in order to give atonement for sins. The whole point is, you have to realize you have done something wrong, know there is no way into heaven after that point except through his Son, and believe and accept his Son for who He is.
Our's:
Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 PM   #49
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

lmao brent i was j/p 8P

but the +1 to titty shots... i owe him that.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 PM   #50
Regular

So whats a sin to you?

Is drinking a sin? Is saying a word that society deems inappropriate a sin?

Each religion defines different sins.

Who to follow?

Reddit
Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
There has to be some sort of atonement for the sins. In the old testament days this atonement was made by giving a part of your livestock, your harvest, all you have in order to atone for the wrongs. If there was no consequence to sin, then what's the point in knowing you have done wrong, nothing bad will come of it.
Our's:
Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #52
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
So whats a sin to you?

Is drinking a sin? Is saying a word that society deems inappropriate a sin?

Each religion defines different sins.

Who to follow?
The 10 commandments covers it all...
Our's:
Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #53
Road Trip!

HEY GAYS CAN MARRY... YEA ****EN RIGHT!
that **** needs to stay heterosexual....

i did see a bumper sticker the other day saying, "Your parents didn't CHOOSE to abort you. You should give your child the same choice."

there argue homosexuality and abortion in a religion thread, that shoud spice it up..... and stem cell research ftw!!! and yes, im catholic.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #54
Regular

Quote:
The 10 commandments covers it all...
The Ten Commandments is the old law. According to my church we are under the new law.

Reddit
Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #55
Road Trip!

you people are stupid.

you can't take the bible literally... nor anything in a religion.

its all metaphors and round about sayings to keep people in order.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:13 PM   #56
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun JungleBoy View Post
you people are stupid.

you can't take the bible literally... nor anything in a religion.

its all metaphors and round about sayings to keep people in order.
No one is stupid. No one can prove anything its all a matter of opinion

Reddit
Old 07-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #57
Road Trip!

touche touche
Old 07-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #58
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
and yes, im catholic.
Damn...that wasn't blatently obvious from the day I met you.

And I can't believe you just said what you said about religion being metaphores. You will definitely burn for that one....don't believe me....just as a priest. Catholics are the biggest offenders of scaring you into believing and into dropping cash into the church....
Old 07-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #59
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
No one is stupid. No one can prove anything its all a matter of opinion
I agree...

Quote:
I don't think there is any way to prove anything until you are dead. When you are dead...you will either reunite with the alien souls that were banished here....meet God or the Devil....or just feed the wormies in the ground. Either way, you won't know what is going on and you won't be able to prove it to anyone....
Old 07-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He is his son, they are one in the same. Ever heard of the trinity, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. So, He did send himself to earth to show that he cares and that he is willing to forgive. And it wasn't to just make it easier, it is the only way. True, in the old testament, you could make sacrifices from all you have in order to give atonement for sins. The whole point is, you have to realize you have done something wrong, know there is no way into heaven after that point except through his Son, and believe and accept his Son for who He is.
Isn't faith all about not nedding to be told god loves you. Why did he do that if its the human's responsability to love god and know god loves them. And if god did have to show his love why do it in only one part of the wolrd with the coming of jesus, why could he just not make himself appear to everyone in the world and tell them he loved them then go back to heven?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #61
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
The Ten Commandments is the old law. According to my church we are under the new law.
Well that's your church...the 10 commandments pretty much sums it up for me.
I'll post where they are in the old testament and where they are restated in the new testament for anyone saying they are old law.
1. Though shalt have no other god before me (this includes anything that comes before him: cars/money/people/etc etc etc) Exodus 20:3, Acts 14:15
2. No idols: Exodus 20:4, 1 John 5:21
3. Taking the lord's name in vane/swearing: Exodus 20:7, James 5:12
4. Keep the sabbath holy: Exodus 20:8, Colossians 2:15 (states that your freedom in christ should not be traded for a set of useless man-made rules regarding the sabbath.
5. Obedience to parents: Exodus 20:12, Ephesians 6:1
6. Murder: Exodus 20:13, 1 John 3:15
7. Adultery: Exodus 20:14, 1 Corinthians 6:9,10
8. Theft: Exodus 20:15, Ephesians 4:28
9. False Witness: (untruthful testimony, the reason we have a swearing in before court on the Bible) Exodus 20:16, Colossians 3:9,10
10. Coveting (the desire to have what another has) Exodus 20:17, Ephesians 5:3

So, I still stand by my words, the 10 commandments sums it up for me, whether you're an old testament or new testament church.
Our's:
Old 07-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #62
Road Trip!

no no no... see with me being catholic
you become confirmed at the age of 16
now aday, or junior in high school.
when you are confirmed you are then
"an adult in the catholic faith" and you
should make your own decisions....
well i made my own decision and never
returned to church.

had religion be like how it was for my parents, where you are taught to fear god and that satan will kill you instantly you do one wrong thing... i maybe a little closer to my religious side... i hate how people donate so much money. who ever invented religion is the richest guy in the world. have people come to a place, where you watch a guy tell you how inferior you are to everyone else around you and if you give some cash in a little wooden basket you are then a cool guy. then to send your kid to a catholic school takes thousands upon thousands of dollars.

see, i guess growing up in this, i realize... its so retarded. i even had a religion teacher tell me that. just because you donate tons of money doesn't make you a better person... k well i won't then. its how you treat yourself and those around you and make sure you just do the right things.... when i consider religion i just take into effect morals. i know things are right and i know things are wrong.

now the whole conscience thing... freaks me out. if i do soemthing wrong ill lay in bed.. and be like, wtf that was so wrong of me.... omg this is horrible then i try to convince my self nah its ok... no one cares... lol
Old 07-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #63
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Isn't faith all about not nedding to be told god loves you. Why did he do that if its the human's responsability to love god and know god loves them. And if god did have to show his love why do it in only one part of the wolrd with the coming of jesus, why could he just not make himself appear to everyone in the world and tell them he loved them then go back to heven?
He gives Christians the great commission to make sure everyone in the world is given the opportunity to learn of Christ and make their own decision. This is the reason Christianity has missionaries all over the world spreading the word. I can't say I understand all of it, just what I have read and studied.
Our's:
Old 07-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #64
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
now the whole conscience thing... freaks me out. if i do soemthing wrong ill lay in bed.. and be like, wtf that was so wrong of me.... omg this is horrible then i try to convince my self nah its ok... no one cares... lol
I see your conscience as being the Holy Spirit convicting you. The conviction is meant to lead to asking for forgiveness. This is just how I see it though...
Our's:
Old 07-20-2006, 11:29 PM   #65
Regular

Quote:
Well that's your church...the 10 commandments pretty much sums it up for me.
I'll post where they are in the old testament and where they are restated in the new testament for anyone saying they are old law.
1. Though shalt have no other god before me (this includes anything that comes before him: cars/money/people/etc etc etc) Exodus 20:3, Acts 14:15
2. No idols: Exodus 20:4, 1 John 5:21
3. Taking the lord's name in vane/swearing: Exodus 20:7, James 5:12
4. Keep the sabbath holy: Exodus 20:8, Colossians 2:15 (states that your freedom in christ should not be traded for a set of useless man-made rules regarding the sabbath.
5. Obedience to parents: Exodus 20:12, Ephesians 6:1
6. Murder: Exodus 20:13, 1 John 3:15
7. Adultery: Exodus 20:14, 1 Corinthians 6:9,10
8. Theft: Exodus 20:15, Ephesians 4:28
9. False Witness: (untruthful testimony, the reason we have a swearing in before court on the Bible) Exodus 20:16, Colossians 3:9,10
10. Coveting (the desire to have what another has) Exodus 20:17, Ephesians 5:3

So, I still stand by my words, the 10 commandments sums it up for me, whether you're an old testament or new testament church.
#1 gives me a problem. I like my Mustangs

Reddit
Old 07-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #66
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
#1 gives me a problem. I like my Mustangs
Haha, I like mine too, just can't put it before God. It's the same as being an idol, if you were to use your car to worship God, that would be idoletry.
Our's:
Old 07-20-2006, 11:55 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

i'm a believer
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #68
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

#10 bugs me.

somewhere, someone at some time has something we all want.

i want 4v heads with VT cams and the NOS direct port nitrous kit, somewhere, someone already has that, so i am teh lose?

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:46 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise

Not me..... I was born and raised Catholic, I went to Catholic schools from K-12 and my grandparents on my Dad's side were big time church goers, but not once have I seen a single thing in my 26 years on this planet that would convince me that there's so almighty spirit, thing, whatever that supposedly "loves us" and is watching over us.... not with all of the bull****, pain and suffering in this world. I don't care what kind of good there is out there.... I'm sorry, but no.

I believe in chance, not in some so-called "devine plan" or whatever some might call it. If I die tomorrow in a rollover accident where my car does a quadruple sowcow with a half twist, and lands in the river upside down, exploding into a million pieces, I don't want to hear "Oh, it was meant to be", or "It was all a part of God's plan". Again, sorry, but no. If that happens, it will be because of mechaincal malfunction, myself being stupid and/or not paying attention, someone else being stupid and/or not paying attention and you might be able to factor in road conditions as a possibility of that as well.

Now having said that, I do believe that religion has brought some great things to the table. Things like the commandments about stealing, murdering, lying, etc can be appreciated by all people of all races. I believe that the Bible itself has some great teachings in it, but to live your life by it word for word is something completely different.

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #70
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

All that Jesus was referring to with "being under the new law" is this:

The Old law was a time where you had to make animal sacrifices yearly to atone for your sins committed throughout the year. You also had to follow MANY other laws as detailed in the books of Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. This was not a period of grace, it was a very strict difficult time to fulfill all the the things that were required to go to heaven when you die. It truly was works based, but you also had to have faith in God.

The New law is the time after Jesus' death and resurrection. This means that essentially all you have to do is believe that Jesus made the scarifice and that he will forgive you of everything if your desire is to "become His child". All it takes is faith. Not faith in God. Faith that he made the sacrifice and that you are forgiven. It's very simple, but it's "religions" that have complicated things to, yes, control.

However, just because we are under the New Law does NOT mean we are to forsake all the teachings and principals of the Old Law. That is why we still have morals and do not just wander around raping and pillaging because "we all know we will be forgiven".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar