Ever thought it couldnt happen to you? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Ever thought it couldnt happen to you?

I was sent an email from ebay stating I had to reset my password, that someone had been trying to log into my account. So I did. Little did I know it wasnt EBAY. Someone with the whole EBAY setup sent it to me and when I changed my pass they were able to log into my account and change the pass so I couldnt get in. They even changed my user name and gained access to my hotmail account and paypal. I contacted ebay when I got another email saying that I requested my emails start going to my new requested email address. I was so pissed. Ebay was able to log into my account. They said the guy was selling all kinds of crap in which the sellers fees was taken out of my bank account. They credited the money back and booted them out of my account. I had to change everything, my ebay account, email, paypal, even my bank account. They even know my address and my phone #. How scary is that? I never really thought This would happen to me. There are some mean A$$ Crooks out there.

One wicked 03 GT FOBRA
ridenmystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Ever thought it couldnt happen to you?

Damn that sucks. Glad they didnt do really big damage though

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

I get emails like that every once in a while... I never respond to anything like that. If you feel it might be for real, call they company up and make sure before you do that stuff. Im glad ebay was able to help you out, they're usually pretty good about that.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
I get emails like that every once in a while... I never respond to anything like that. If you feel it might be for real, call they company up and make sure before you do that stuff. Im glad ebay was able to help you out, they're usually pretty good about that.
QFT....

Don't responde to emails that state something has been going on until you contact the business directly. Typically, if you ever receive something to confirm your personal info/password and private stuff like that...it is a scam about 99.5% of the time.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
Regular

I get those atleast 15 times a day

Reddit
Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Me too...including the ones that keep telling me that they need me to help them extract millions of dollars from various banks in various countries in africa....I keep waiting for them to respond to me and just send me a check for all of the money and I will send them the rest back after I take my cut. But, they never send me the damn money. Bastards...
Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Sorry to hear that happened to you.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
Me too...including the ones that keep telling me that they need me to help them extract millions of dollars from various banks in various countries in africa....I keep waiting for them to respond to me and just send me a check for all of the money and I will send them the rest back after I take my cut. But, they never send me the damn money. Bastards...

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
I almost want to make a fake bank account just for these to see if they ever send me money, if they ever did I'd tuck tail and run lol
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I almost want to make a fake bank account just for these to see if they ever send me money, if they ever did I'd tuck tail and run lol
one of these days I am going to start my own swiss bank account.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:53 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

One of these days I'm gonna stop selling coke. Start I mean. Whatever.

Yeah, if anyone ever asks for a username/password, it is 100% guaranteed a scam. No legit company will ever ask you for that. If something like what they claimed did happen, they would reset your password their self and you would have to change it the next time you logged in. To be safe, never put a password into a link that you followed from an e-mail. They can easily rip all the html layout off of eBay's page so it looks exactly the same.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

yeah i know.. you gotta be careful online nowadays.

similar thing happened to a friend i know about his bank. his bank sent him an email that was pretty important and needed for him to log on... you can figure out the rest of the story.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

I accidentally did that when it first started getting popular. Fortunately, I put in the wrong password and login Normally when I get them I go to fill it in and put for the login "UHomodicksucking****" and password "Youarethemostretarded****nutlivingtoday"

so when the ******* comes home and checks his scandal emails, he'll read my message.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:05 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

dont go to links like that you SHOULD know better by now.... always close the email and go directly to ebay though YOUR EBAY link not by clicking some email....
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Sorry to hear you fell for a old scam. But as SpectorV stated "you SHOULD know better by now". No legit company would ever ask for password or personal info .Bet you would let something like that happen again

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

No they set it up exactly like an EBAY Page. It said someone had been trying to log into my account. So I clicked on the Ebay link it had and it opened the ebay page where you log in. LOOKED EXACTLY THE SAME. Even had the "Report Scam thing" on the bottom. This guy want stop either. When they got my ebay account back I changed everything and put my new email account in my ebay profile so my emails from ebay would go there. I guess since he had put his fake email account in my profile, and when I changed it, it sent a notification to him saying his emails would be routed to his new requested account, like the one I got. So now he has my new email. He sent me another fake email. Again it was an identical ebay page that had a hood on it that said I purchased it. I figured he must had purchased it while he had control of my account. But When I logged back in to ebay the auction was still active. I never knew someone could try so hard.

One wicked 03 GT FOBRA
ridenmystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenmystang View Post
No they set it up exactly like an EBAY Page. It said someone had been trying to log into my account. So I clicked on the Ebay link it had and it opened the ebay page where you log in. LOOKED EXACTLY THE SAME. Even had the "Report Scam thing" on the bottom. This guy want stop either. When they got my ebay account back I changed everything and put my new email account in my ebay profile so my emails from ebay would go there. I guess since he had put his fake email account in my profile, and when I changed it, it sent a notification to him saying his emails would be routed to his new requested account, like the one I got. So now he has my new email. He sent me another fake email. Again it was an identical ebay page that had a hood on it that said I purchased it. I figured he must had purchased it while he had control of my account. But When I logged back in to ebay the auction was still active. I never knew someone could try so hard.

Right click on a page, view source, file->save as->test.html, open test.html = identical web page to the original if the include urls to the style sheets...if not, just add the urls and boom, done. Or, in explorer, save the complete page for offline viewing, and boom, identical web page. It takes someone about 30 seconds to create a replica.

Recommendation...do not open the link that is sent to you to change your information. That will undoubtedly contain code to figure out where you are coming from and other tid bits of info that can be used for various things.

My recommendation, forward the email to the ebay abuse deal and let them take care of it. Do not communicated with ebay through any other means other than if you type www. ebay. com into the url yourself.

Also, if you used any of the free email providers, they probably have a bot that scans for email address or generates them and sends emails to it. I don't have any ebay tied to my hotmail account, but yet I constantly receive emails about abuse from it which go to a link that appears to be an ebay link due to embedded html, but, when you look at the url, you can tell it really isn't.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #18
Regular

I never open any web sites like that via email. I will open Firefox or IE and go to the site manually to see what the deal is

Reddit
Old 08-18-2006, 07:37 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

i just keep getting ones where people are asking if i have sent random items( one guy keeps asking where his "40 year old virgin" DVD is at, another is telling me i have the money in my paypal for their armani outfit.

a long *** time ago i made the mistake of actually following the link and not realizing it was Ebay.uk and i logged in. strangely, it was just the same as ebay.us and it showed all my US purchases, but didnt say anything about me selling anything, recieving any funds nor did my paypal have any funds(if they did send them, i have the integrity to send their money back and let them know they sent it to the wrong place).

now when i get those emails i just delete them. ebay(the real one) has my contact info, as does paypal if they were to actually file a claim, they will contact me personally.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Watch out for the IRS Hoax email

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar