HERE comes AMD - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
HERE comes AMD

FOXNews.com - Dell to Put AMD Processors in Servers, Desktops - Business And Money | Business News | Financial News

Dell to Put AMD Processors in Servers, Desktops
Friday, August 18, 2006

Dell said Thursday it would begin using AMD's chips in a new line of servers and desktop PCs as early as next month.

The announcement came four months after Dell ended a long-standing exclusive relationship with Intel and agreed to start using AMD processors in some servers.

Shares of AMD closed at $24.20, up $1.63 or 7.22 percent, in Thursday trading on the New York Stock Exchange. They fell 2.9 percent, or 70 cents, to $23.50 in after-hours trading.

Henri Richard, AMD's chief sales and marketing officer, said the latest move represented another escalation in the company's fierce battle with Intel for market share to supply the chips that act as the brains of computers.

Santa Clara-based Intel, the world's largest chip maker, has lost share in recent quarters to AMD, whose products have been viewed as faster and cheaper to run. Last month, Intel revamped its server and PC chip lines in an effort to be more competitive.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: HERE comes AMD

I'd love to have some AMD shares right now. Hate to have Intel

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'd love to have some AMD shares right now. Hate to have Intel
I have AMD stock MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 08-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

I've made good money on AMD over the years. I sold the last chunk of it I had to help me pay the down payment on my house. Wish I still had some.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

i wish i was graduated so i could afford ANY stock

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
i wish i was graduated so i could afford ANY stock
x2
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

classic American vs Import

though I have to admit i use AMD... only because its so much easier to keep up with chipsets and compatible boards. ect. ect. not because of price.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

for all of you in this thread that own stock... how do you go about purchasing it?

i'm tryin to get into the market
Old 08-18-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

AMD pwns.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Now we know why AMD bought ATI last month or so. Analyst were saying it was a bad move. Boy were they wrong. Dell is the largest computer manufacturer right now and the largest Laptop maker. Now being that Intel was in every Dell computer and ATI was the top onboard video maker for Intel you begin to see a picture where AMD is putting Intel in a corner and no matter what Intel will either have to spend more money reconfiguring their motherboards or pay AMD

That has got to hurt. Intel must feel like Mike Tyson just beat their *** BY GOD!!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

i love AMD, all i use, granted i prefer NVidia over ATI though

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

They still have a long way to go before catching Intel. Intel has a $119 billion market capitalization (Mar. 2006) compared to AMD's $13 billion (end of 2005).

AMD's have become popular for gamers... but that's about it. In schools, corporations, etc, all you see is Intel. AMD sucks. Remember when they tried to steal the Intel i386 microcode? Not to mention the supercomputer arena. I don't see the Google server farms running AMDs any time soon.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #13
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
They still have a long way to go before catching Intel. Intel has a $119 billion market capitalization (Mar. 2006) compared to AMD's $13 billion (end of 2005).

AMD's have become popular for gamers... but that's about it. In schools, corporations, etc, all you see is Intel. AMD sucks. Remember when they tried to steal the Intel i386 microcode? Not to mention the supercomputer arena. I don't see the Google server farms running AMDs any time soon.

Google Shifts to AMD on the server

This website is powered by two AMD Opterons btw

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:59 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

Intel is bigger but they lost there biggest home and business desktop and laptop customer to AMD. No matter how you see it AMD is catching up. Will they ever become #1 maybe not but Pepsi use to be a underdog to Coke and though they are still #2 they are on the heels of Coke at every turn.

By getting Dell's business AMD is now not just a wannbee they are now a major player and if Intel wants to keep ATI video onboard on Intel motherboards they will have to pay AMD. The hit came with the ill fates 64 Bit processor for Intel. AMD started catching up with Intels failures.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Google Shifts to AMD on the server

This website is powered by two AMD Opterons btw
I guess I should have picked a better example...

Still, the majority of their servers are Intel chips. They aren't replacing all the old servers, just using AMD for the new ones. And that may not be the case for long... Intel Swaps Clock Speed for Power Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
Intel is bigger but they lost there biggest home and business desktop and laptop customer to AMD. No matter how you see it AMD is catching up. Will they ever become #1 maybe not but Pepsi use to be a underdog to Coke and though they are still #2 they are on the heels of Coke at every turn.
Really I'd say it's more along the lines of Coke and RC Cola... I don't think some people realize just how much bigger of a scale Intel operates on.

AMD
Revenue: $5.848 billion USD (2005)
Net income: $165.483 million USD (2005)

Intel
Revenue: $38.83 billion USD (2005)
Net income: $8.7 billion USD (2005)

In 2005, Intel was the leading seller of semiconductors (basically any type of chipset) with over $35 billion in sales. The next closest was Samsung at $17 billion. AMD was 15th on the list with $3.9 billion.

Scary stuff.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

I used to be an Intel supporter in a real big way. My laptop's got a P4M chip in it. After I built my first A64 system, though, I've just been real big on AMD.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

Still, the majority of their servers are Intel chips. They aren't replacing all the old servers, just using AMD for the new ones. And that may not be the case for long... Intel Swaps Clock Speed for Power Efficiency

Really I'd say it's more along the lines of Coke and RC Cola... I don't think some people realize just how much bigger of a scale Intel operates on.

AMD

Intel

In 2005, Intel was the leading seller of semiconductors (basically any type of chipset) with over $35 billion in sales. The next closest was Samsung at $17 billion. AMD was 15th on the list with $3.9 billion.

but his example was AMD and intel are like Pepsi and Coke, Pepsi used to not be so big, but over time, Pepsi got to the point where it is right behind coke now. i dont think it will be too long before AMD is right behind Intel. Maybe not in the next year or two, but not very far away

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

AMD

Intel

We are talking Processors for computers. Samsung is the worlds largest maker of Memory and about every other type of electronics on earth. AMD builds processors period

There is no RC Cola in the Desktop or laptop CPU Market. It is Intel or AMD anything else is a joke. The real deal is AMD use to be a cheap alternative and a gamers/ geek builders processor. Now it is in the big league's. No not as big as all incompassing Intel but in Computer/CPU and Video processor market AMD is becoming a Giant. It is Intel's own fault. They screwed the pooch with the 64 bit processor and AMD bit them in the *** and took valued market shares and Intel got beat up. You want to know what is funny, things like this cause chain reactions. Intel is scrambling to fix what arrogant ******** who though they were kings of the hill and untouchable have done to their company. GUESS WHAT!!! Those clueless dickheads at Intel are just the newest losers in long line of losers the in the history of Capitalism who did not pay attention to what the competition was doing.

Here is what Intel did to there so called partners and especially Dell. They forced them to buy only from them or faces huge markups for even using AMD products in the lowest models. Intel was not only using cost as a weapon but also tech support. If you signed with intel they would also develope most of the components and do all the compatibility testing for you saving the computer companies wads of money. AMD did not have the money or people to invest in that type of support so they hired Sanmina SCI to help them with the customer developement of the 64 bit processor and they did a uppercut to the chin of intel. When Intels 64 bit processor was bust AMD picked up valued shares. Intel started to press there partners like Dell to stay on board or else all the while jacking up their prices. Most computer companies had enough and jumped ship except for Dell which is the largest computer manufacturer. Well Dell started loosing shares of the business while paying way to much for product in a declining market and smaller companies offering 64 bit AMD processors in their computers started making money. So Dell bailed Intel.

Now AMD is offered in most computers and now AMD ownes ATI which was a major Intel partner.

Wheres Intel partners now??? I guess they can call bbunt302 a partner MUHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

In capitalism no one stays on top forever in the computer industry except maybe Microsoft!!!! Where is IBM in the Home/ Desktop computers??? Gone and sold to the Chinese company Lenovo

NEXT!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
We are talking Processors for computers. Samsung is the worlds largest maker of Memory and about every other type of electronics on earth. AMD builds processors period
That's not entirely true. AMD for a long time was a world leader in flash memory sales. In Dec. 2005, they entered an agreement with Fujitsu and Spansion (originally created as a 50-50 deal between AMD and Fujitsu) to stop producing it. However, they still own a large share of Spansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Now AMD is offered in most computers
Uh... no it's not.

Maybe if by most you mean 26%. Taken from the article that you posted...

Quote:
Last quarter, AMD had about 20 percent of the server market and 26 percent of the desktop market, said Nathan Brookwood, an analyst with the Insight 64 research firm.
And this one...

Quote:
The latest news was expected, and some investors may have been disappointed that Dell did not announce plans to include AMD chips in its notebook computers, said Doug Freedman, an analyst with American Technology Research.
Guess you still can't get a Dell notebook with an AMD. This announcement doesn't mean that Dell is going to solely offer AMD processors now. It means they will offer both. Yes, it is a big step for AMD, but I wouldn't say that this is any major threat to Intel, as shown by these two articles:

Dell's profit evaporates as AMD love swells | The Register

AMD's Dangerous Dell Deal - Forbes.com

It seems to me that this is more of a desperate attempt by Dell to regain some business than anything else. I really don't prefer either Intel or AMD, they both make good processors. But the reality is that AMD still has a long way to go before catching up to Intel as far as market share is concerned (and high-end performance, see the new Core 2 Conroe XEs).

NEXT!! MUAHAUAHAAHASHFAHSDFHASDLK!

Scary stuff.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
That's not entirely true. AMD for a long time was a world leader in flash memory sales. In Dec. 2005, they entered an agreement with Fujitsu and Spansion (originally created as a 50-50 deal between AMD and Fujitsu) to stop producing it. However, they still own a large share of Spansion.

Uh... no it's not.

Maybe if by most you mean 26%. Taken from the article that you posted...

And this one...

Guess you still can't get a Dell notebook with an AMD. This announcement doesn't mean that Dell is going to solely offer AMD processors now. It means they will offer both. Yes, it is a big step for AMD, but I wouldn't say that this is any major threat to Intel, as shown by these two articles:

Dell's profit evaporates as AMD love swells | The Register

AMD's Dangerous Dell Deal - Forbes.com

It seems to me that this is more of a desperate attempt by Dell to regain some business than anything else. I really don't prefer either Intel or AMD, they both make good processors. But the reality is that AMD still has a long way to go before catching up to Intel as far as market share is concerned (and high-end performance, see the new Core 2 Conroe XEs).

NEXT!! MUAHAUAHAAHASHFAHSDFHASDLK!

Get off your Intel soapbox you goofball. You are just like the rest of the heard of cattle drawn to Intel. Screw Intel, Screw their arrogance.

When you post your Intel crap all I hear is MOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

And when you post about AMD all I hear is "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA".

Seriously though, I couldn't care less. My current PC is an Intel because it's the best deal I found at the time. If I ever getting around to building another, it will most likely be AMD. For a relatively cheap, yet quick, home PC they are hard to beat for the price. If I decide to go all out, I'll go with a new Core 2, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

I'm more concerned with the product than the brand. Unless it's Ford we're talking about, but that's a whole different ball game.

Scary stuff.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
And when you post about AMD all I hear is "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA".

Seriously though, I couldn't care less. My current PC is an Intel because it's the best deal I found at the time. If I ever getting around to building another, it will most likely be AMD. For a relatively cheap, yet quick, home PC they are hard to beat for the price. If I decide to go all out, I'll go with a new Core 2, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

I'm more concerned with the product than the brand. Unless it's Ford we're talking about, but that's a whole different ball game.

Well Ford better wake up or they will be MOOOOOOOOOOO!!! also.

American car companies did not pay attention in the late 70's and early 80's and got caught with big *** cars and no one to buy them again. Interesting how history repeats itself over and over. I personally believe cars are not made for the buying public I believe they make cars and people will buy them. this whole SUV craze was driven by the media and entertainment industry. They basically showed that you need a SUV, all the bling and a cell phone are you a nobody. American are cattle driven by the media MOOOOOOOO!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Well Ford better wake up or they will be MOOOOOOOOOOO!!! also.
True. The main reason I'm so loyal to Ford is #1) The Mustang. #2) My granddad retired from Ford Motor Co. and my dad worked at a Ford dealership for about the first 14 years of my life. So they put food on the table for my family for a long while.

Scary stuff.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

As Intel crumbles. Damn they blew it.

FOXNews.com - Report: Intel May Cut Up to 10 Percent of Workforce - Business And Money | Business News | Financial News

Report: Intel May Cut Up to 10 Percent of Workforce

Friday , September 01, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO Intel Corp. (INTC), the world's biggest microchip maker, may cut up to 10 percent of its work force as early as next Tuesday, a technology news site said on Thursday, citing sources familiar with the plans.

Earlier this month, the company wrapped up a 3-month review of its operations aimed at saving it $1 billion a year and making it more competitive with rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD).

Analysts have said the Santa Clara, California-based firm is almost certainly preparing to slash its 100,000-strong work force, and the size and timing of the cuts have been a topic of heated speculation in recent weeks.

Intel spokesman Chuck Mulloy declined to comment on the specifics of the report, which was carried on News.com, a technology news site run by CNet Networks.

"We will keep our commitment to disclose the results of our efficiency study by the end of the third quarter," Mulloy said.

Previous estimates by Wall Street analysts have put the size of the cuts anywhere from a few thousand to 16,000 employees.

The cuts would be the latest in a string of actions taken by Intel Chief Executive Paul Otellini to try to restart growth at the company, which posted a 56 percent drop in net profit for its second quarter.

In July, Intel fired 1,000 managers in its biggest work-force reduction in 4 years.

The company has also moved to jettison unprofitable units.

In June, Intel sold its communications chip business to Marvell Technology Group Ltd. (MRVL) for $600 million, and in August sold its telephony technology unit to a private Canadian firm for an undisclosed amount.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
this whole SUV craze was driven by the media and entertainment industry. They basically showed that you need a SUV, all the bling and a cell phone are you a nobody. American are cattle driven by the media MOOOOOOOO!!!
thats the most retarded thing ive ever heard. youre basing the SUV craze on the media cause a couple wankstas bought them and threw 26" rims on them?

the SUV craze was created cause families found they get the seating of a sedan and the hauling capacity of a truck. you cant fit a family of 4 in a truck comfortably, and you cant haul a boat and camping equipment with a taurus. as far as "Gas Guzzler", the newer SUV's from '00 and up get very good mileage, the whole 12mpg SUV is a thing of the past, the newer motors are more powerful and soak up less fuel because their power makes up for the weight.

if i get a family, ill get a SUV to haul them around in. i dont see the need for a "Family Car" thats slower than most SUV's and isnt as comfortalbe and doesnt haul ****.

sure SUV sales are down, thats because IMO
1) SUV's are very reliable and not many families need to upgrade
2) Fuel prices scare the ignorant.

as soon as the fuel crunch is done(IE we take over the world or sue the piss out of every company to make them bring down numbers and not rake in a 78bil profit margin) you will see SUV sales up once again, and ford will once again struggle to shift from crap cars to SUV/Trucks.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude View Post
thats the most retarded thing ive ever heard. youre basing the SUV craze on the media cause a couple wankstas bought them and threw 26" rims on them?

the SUV craze was created cause families found they get the seating of a sedan and the hauling capacity of a truck. you cant fit a family of 4 in a truck comfortably, and you cant haul a boat and camping equipment with a taurus. as far as "Gas Guzzler", the newer SUV's from '00 and up get very good mileage, the whole 12mpg SUV is a thing of the past, the newer motors are more powerful and soak up less fuel because their power makes up for the weight.

if i get a family, ill get a SUV to haul them around in. i dont see the need for a "Family Car" thats slower than most SUV's and isnt as comfortalbe and doesnt haul ****.

sure SUV sales are down, thats because IMO
1) SUV's are very reliable and not many families need to upgrade
2) Fuel prices scare the ignorant.

as soon as the fuel crunch is done(IE we take over the world or sue the piss out of every company to make them bring down numbers and not rake in a 78bil profit margin) you will see SUV sales up once again, and ford will once again struggle to shift from crap cars to SUV/Trucks.
Retarded no. The gas guzzler craze is not over. GM, Ford and Dodge still build the dinosaurs, that is whay there sales are down. I never see women driving big *** SUV's with them loaded. If you have a big *** family I can see it but most don't. It is a status thing I see it at work. he oil crunch will never be over until the use of oil goes done and that is not for years to come. every year we use more and more as does the rest of the world

Fuel prices dont just scare the ignorant. It scares small business that has to deal with rising cost to do business and passes it to the consumer.

Sorry I am not retarded just a realist. You stick your head in the sand and wait for the US to dominate the world and take the oil. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. SO LIVE IN YOUR PIPE DREAM AND SMOKE THAT WACKY STUFF. I will be a realist and understand that there are TARDS that dont give a **** about the future so I will prepare for **** to get worse.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar