Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2006, 01:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Region: Hawaii
Posts: 83
Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Thought 1
Is it just me or are the new mustangs the new "Mid-Life Crisis" Car. Where i live it seems that anyone over the age or near the age of 40 are buying these cars, trying to re-live there younger years, or purchasing a car that looks like the car they remeber when they were younger! These are the same people who wouldn't be caught in a FOX,SN-95 or New Edge Mustangs. I actually catch some of them turning their nose up to the older mustangs like it's beneath them or something.

Thought 2
The S197 is pretty plain looking coming from the factory, but dosen't it seem like every body-kit that is made looks the same no matter the manufacturer? I just read the post for the Legend Mustang and it looks like the Ronaele, Cervini, and countless other kits out there!

O.K. I am done venting, all opinions are welcome.

P.S. Some guy In a S197 pissed me off today weaving in and out of traffic like some F***ing NASCAR driver during just about rush hour. First, he revs at me and then he takes off!
__________________
99 Atlantic Blue V6- SOHC 4.6 swap, Tremec 3650, 8.8 rear end/ Flowtech Ceramic LT headers, off-road x-pipe, Spintech side exit exhaust. K&N drop in filter, removed snorkel, 18x10, 18x9, Anthracite Bullitt Replicas 295-35's, 265-35's. Eibach Pro-Kit springs, M&M Camber Plates
wrecked2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Well, it's because its mostly true that S197s are the single greatest vehicle ever created in the history of the world. Their superiority to previous Mustangs is absolutely astonishing. I believe I'm gonna get rid of both my foxes and start buying parts for the 06.
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

its different and some what affordable so you see more people jumping into them with out really knowing much about them and assuming they are fast. I also think they are a bit blah looking... but the 94-98 was as well so lets see what they do when they upgrade the looks.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

I agree with the re-living their younger days. I think that was the point in coming out with it to try and tap into that new demographic that didn't like where mustang was.

I also agree that the car is definitely blah from the factory. It is like the front half was completed, and the back half was rushed to make the design deadline. One thing every 05+ needs is a body kit to make it look finished. The Saleen kit, while expensive due to the name, is TITS. Really finishes the car off. Sad thing is, you pay 28+k for a GT, then you have to turn around and buy a $1500 or so body kit to make it look good.

Have you also noticed that the car just looks super bulky? I had an 05 GT (real Saleen conversion) parked next to me and the car just looks like a hippo compared to mine.

Overall, I think the S197 is doing what Ford hoped...it is allowing all the baby boomers re-live their youth tapping that new market while still appealing to the general customer base.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Thomas91169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Region: California
Posts: 2,280
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
I agree with the re-living their younger days. I think that was the point in coming out with it to try and tap into that new demographic that didn't like where mustang was.

I also agree that the car is definitely blah from the factory. It is like the front half was completed, and the back half was rushed to make the design deadline. One thing every 05+ needs is a body kit to make it look finished. The Saleen kit, while expensive due to the name, is TITS. Really finishes the car off. Sad thing is, you pay 28+k for a GT, then you have to turn around and buy a $1500 or so body kit to make it look good.

Have you also noticed that the car just looks super bulky? I had an 05 GT (real Saleen conversion) parked next to me and the car just looks like a hippo compared to mine.

Overall, I think the S197 is doing what Ford hoped...it is allowing all the baby boomers re-live their youth tapping that new market while still appealing to the general customer base.
It is a Hippo! just look at the weight.

but yeah, its a baby boomer nostalgia car. brings back the 50 year olds to their younger days when they wanted a stang but couldnt afford one, now they can.

IMO the only way id buy one is with the Cervenis CT-500 kit that make them look like what they should have made the actual shelby gt500's look like, and even then it still doesnt look all that right(i think my car looks more like eleanor than theirs). oh well, 99-04 body style or bust for me, or a fox but owners have been overpricing them alot lately.
__________________
-Thomas-

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

they are selling great, thats all ford cared about.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
I agree with the re-living their younger days. I think that was the point in coming out with it to try and tap into that new demographic that didn't like where mustang was.

I also agree that the car is definitely blah from the factory. It is like the front half was completed, and the back half was rushed to make the design deadline. One thing every 05+ needs is a body kit to make it look finished. The Saleen kit, while expensive due to the name, is TITS. Really finishes the car off. Sad thing is, you pay 28+k for a GT, then you have to turn around and buy a $1500 or so body kit to make it look good.

Have you also noticed that the car just looks super bulky? I had an 05 GT (real Saleen conversion) parked next to me and the car just looks like a hippo compared to mine.

Overall, I think the S197 is doing what Ford hoped...it is allowing all the baby boomers re-live their youth tapping that new market while still appealing to the general customer base.
I think the new edge saleens look pretty bulky from the back. I have a friend with an 01 saleen s281 vert conversion, and when I park beside him the car looks about 2 feet wider than mine. Same width rear tires and we're about the same as far as drop goes.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
wiarumas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

i do not like the S197 stock.

BUT

with some body work i think they can be EXTREMELY hot.. like a body kit, louvers, and some nice rims. sex.

i would definitely get a roush body kit though...
__________________

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 996
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
i do not like the S197 stock.

BUT

with some body work i think they can be EXTREMELY hot.. like a body kit, louvers, and some nice rims. sex.

i would definitely get a roush body kit though...
This is what I was going to say. Stock the MFers are FUGLY, but when you hook them up with a body kit, a drop, and some 20's, they look pretty damn HOT.

94-04 Mustangs look stupid with most any cosmetic parts that aren't made by Ford Racing, SVT, Roush, Saleen, or Steeda. Thats not the case with the knew S197's.

It's not the knew GT's I have a problem with, it's the Shelby GT500. When I think of the best Mustang weighing 2 Tons it makes me want to :barf:. This one factor alone makes me literally HATE this car.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude View Post
It is a Hippo! just look at the weight.
Yup. About 150-200 pounds less than that 03 Cobra you're thinking about buying...
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kansas City
Region: Missouri
Posts: 4,043
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
its different and some what affordable so you see more people jumping into them with out really knowing much about them and assuming they are fast. I also think they are a bit blah looking... but the 94-98 was as well so lets see what they do when they upgrade the looks.
You callin my car "blah" looking? You weiner....
__________________

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kansas City
Region: Missouri
Posts: 4,043
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post

It's not the knew GT's I have a problem with, it's the Shelby GT500. When I think of the best Mustang weighing 2 Tons it makes me want to :barf:. This one factor alone makes me literally HATE this car.
you're aware that the 03/04 cobras weighed 3800-3900 lbs right? Its not THAT much different for a helluva lot stiffer chassis as well as that "retro" look if thats your thing. Not to mention the 100hp gain on top of a 5.4L motor over the 4.6L. I cant wait to see what kind of numbers these gt500's start spitting out to shut all the haters up.
__________________

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 996
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
you're aware that the 03/04 cobras weighed 3800-3900 lbs right? Its not THAT much different for a helluva lot stiffer chassis as well as that "retro" look if thats your thing. Not to mention the 100hp gain on top of a 5.4L motor over the 4.6L. I cant wait to see what kind of numbers these gt500's start spitting out to shut all the haters up.
I'm aware that the shelby GT500 weighs over 250 lbs more than the already heavy 03/04 Cobra's. No I wasn't aware that the 03/04 Cobra's weigh 3800-3900 lb's, I thought it was more like 3700 lb's. Yeah I'm hatin on this car. It's to big. Period. I'm not going say when they release the next Cobra That "It's ok that it weight 4300 lb because the car has 600hp".

With the cars weight, power, and price its selling for what is the closiest thing it competes with, big German autobahn cruisers like M5's, ClS 55's, and RS6's, and its nowhere near as nice in terms of refinement, and feature.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,834
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

i'd rather push my 04 than drive an 05. the only thing i give the 05 a for is the 5-speed auto.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,834
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
One thing every 05+ needs is a body kit to make it look finished. The Saleen kit, while expensive due to the name, is TITS. Really finishes the car off. Sad thing is, you pay 28+k for a GT, then you have to turn around and buy a $1500 or so body kit to make it look good.

same exact way i feel.........and i believe i've told you and mike that before
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #16
Registered User
Regular
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 11,873
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang View Post
i'd rather push my 04 than drive an 05. the only thing i give the 05 a for is the 5-speed auto.
Well you are retarded if you would rather do that
__________________

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,834
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Well you are retarded if you would rather do that

well you are retarded if you actually think i would do that. ****, i'd drive a busted *** honda rather than push my car.


its an exaggeration meaning that i am not busting down ford's doors for an 05 mustang........
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #18
Registered User
Regular
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 11,873
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang View Post
well you are retarded if you actually think i would do that. ****, i'd drive a busted *** honda rather than push my car.


its an exaggeration meaning that i am not busting down ford's doors for an 05 mustang........
See, my brain is so fantastical, that I follow the exaggeration, like, "Omigosh, Brent, i'd rather push my 04 than drive an 05." NO YOU WOULD NOT!"
__________________

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:01 PM   #19
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
n8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,216
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
See, my brain is so fantastical, that I follow the exaggeration, like, "Omigosh, Brent, i'd rather push my 04 than drive an 05." NO YOU WOULD NOT!"
w00t for dane!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Nothing is ever official until its official
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 PM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
you're aware that the 03/04 cobras weighed 3800-3900 lbs right? Its not THAT much different for a helluva lot stiffer chassis as well as that "retro" look if thats your thing. Not to mention the 100hp gain on top of a 5.4L motor over the 4.6L.
Negatory....

Coupe 3,665 lb. (1,662 kg)
Convertible 3,780 lb. (1,715 kg)

FORDMUSCLE.com webmagazine - 2003 SVT COBRA SPECIFICATIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
I cant wait to see what kind of numbers these gt500's start spitting out to shut all the haters up.
They are putting down 12.8-14.1 depending on the driver. Good drivers are running them 12.8-12.9 on modular fords...in stock form.

One company has them in the 11s after a tune (Evolution performance) and is shooting for 10s this or last weekend after a pulley swap (waste of money for only 2-3 psi gain) and bolt ons as well as gutted interior and carbon fiber race seat.

None the less, I can't wait till they start hitting the streets down here. I look forward to ***** slapping them around.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,834
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
I can't wait till they start hitting the streets down here. I look forward to ***** slapping them around.
i dont wanna hear that, you had your chance at the poker run. remember that old guy that wouldnt even pop the hood to his orange gt500 vert..........i mean, you could just look at him and tell he was looking for a cobra to run.


you shoulda went up to him and did a brakestand right in front his car and been like "wassup *****."
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:14 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang View Post
i dont wanna hear that, you had your chance at the poker run. remember that old guy that wouldnt even pop the hood to his orange gt500 vert..........i mean, you could just look at him and tell he was looking for a cobra to run.


you shoulda went up to him and did a brakestand right in front his car and been like "wassup *****."
He was looking at my car and asked me where I got to cobra license plate bolt covers. He was a total weenie. I am willing to bet he hasn't seen boost in that car and hasn't been over 70. Seemed very michael-ish in a lot of ways.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

whats the official weight for the 05 GT and vert and GT500 hardtop and vert
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 996
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
whats the official weight for the 05 GT and vert and GT500 hardtop and vert
Ford claims the GT coupe weighs 3520 lbs, I'm not sure about the convertible but I believe its around 3650 lbs.

Ford claims the GT500 couple weights 3920 lbs, and the convertible 4040 lbs. The magazines that weight the cars themselves all give you different weights.

Here the Car and Driver test of the Shelby GT500 convertible. They say it weighs 4008 lbs and weighs 112 lbs more than the coupe.
2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible - Short Take Road Tests - Car and Driver - September 2006
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Fishers Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,507
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

I kinda like the 05+ if its black, with a drop, loud exhaust, a supercharger (aftermarket), the 1/4 windows with covers on it. but I still wont give up my 98.
__________________
Charles
2006 F150 4x4 with the 5.4L V8
Fishers Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,834
Re: Two thoughts on the S197 Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
He was looking at my car and asked me where I got to cobra license plate bolt covers. He was a total weenie. I am willing to bet he hasn't seen boost in that car and hasn't been over 70. Seemed very michael-ish in a lot of ways.

...............or spector-ish
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Tags
s197 mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking at 3 mustangs thoughts? sonic04edge The Bar 15 06-23-2010 11:16 PM
S197 GT500's everywhere? DDTCM General Mustang Discussion 25 05-30-2010 10:57 PM
new s197 owner jroc07gt 2005-2010 Mustang GT 31 05-15-2009 08:40 PM
S197 member here rmays06 New Member Introductions & Greetings 13 11-07-2006 08:59 AM
Mustangs & Mustangs Car / Airplane Show This Saturday in FL JasonVMP Regional Mustang Discussion 2 03-29-2006 04:12 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:38 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.