The Skeptics Annonated Bible - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The Skeptics Annonated Bible

So what do all you think of some of the points brought up on this website pertaining to the Christian Bible?

SAB, Absurdities

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow
Re: The Skeptics Annonated Bible

Obviously written by someone who has no understanding of how the Bible is written or what symbolism is.

I have some studying for classes to do, but as I have time, I will dissect EVERY single one of those passages and give more than just that person's lame attempt to interpret them as he sees convenient.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

thats why i follow no holy book.

they are alll outrageous like that.. ancient books and completely irrelevant for the present.

however i will agree that i do enjoy reading it for its moral teachings.. well.. some.

not just the bible but other holy books as well. i recently was reading the book of the way (taoism).. pretty cool stuff.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh, and also.. what i always wondered since i was a kid..

how come most religions speak to angels, god, and/or the devil while creating the holy book. that means someone is lying. unless god purposely made mankind make several holy books and spoke with them all and told us different things.

and lastly, the big bang theory is proven true i believe now. i dont think its a theory anymore. we know that the big bang happened. space was stretching, and stretched out the light waves from the big bang turning them into infared and radio waves and we can actually see parts of the big bang that way now. and with the discovery of dark matter they have a very interesting theory now on what exactly happened. they say that after the big bang the universe was covered in hydrogen and helium gas but dark matter pulled them together to create stars (it pulled enough of it and created enough pressure to have a heat reaction). these stars were very large though and it seemed their only purpose was that they burned up hydrogen and cleared the universal gases and created several other elements like carbon and oxygen in the process and then there was more suns and planets but well im not entirely sure about the whole theory. the two reasons why they are persuing this is the discovery of dark matter and they also found galaxies that are amazingly stretched out as if they were in a fun house mirror.

but anyways, what im thinkin is that if the entire universe started as the big bang.. there must have been an incredible amount of energy. energy can be neither created nor destroyed.. so essentially all the living things on this planet, every star, and every planet, asteroid, and moon are still kind of living off that original energy. now, what im thinkin is that what if god was the big bang. not that he created it.. but what if he was actually nothing more than a super energy explosion that created the universe and exists in every person. now, god cant die maybe he is living within us all and in every planet as some sort of extra force. well.. essentially this is true because the definition is a god is a creator or ruler of everything but the big bang did create everything so.. yanno. now what if there was something mysteriously magical (aka unexplainable for now) about this energy that could potentially have some sort of life force.. that would explain why people have a superior conscious over animals. perhaps there is some sort of obtainable life force like that or somethin. crazy theory but i was proud of myself when i thought about it lol..

Old 08-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Genesis

# God creates light and separates light from darkness, and day from night, on the first day. Yet he didn't make the light producing objects (the sun and the stars) until the fourth day (1:14-19). 1:3-5

Basically what we have here is Moses (presumably the author of Genesis and all the books of the Pentateuch, trying to describe events he does not understand in the best way he can. Imagine being a Revolutionary War soldier who is suddenly brought to the future to see an Atomic Bomb explosion. How would he describe such a thing?

First off, on the first day, he created "Light" itself. The last I knew, our local little sun is not the only thing capable of giving light....?

# God spends one-sixth of his entire creative effort (the second day) working on a solid firmament. This strange structure, which God calls heaven, is intended to separate the higher waters from the lower waters. 1:6-8

The firmament (as described here) is the atmosphere. Is this not rather obvious? That separates the vacuum of space from the earth

# Plants are made on the third day before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes (1:14-19). 1:11

The author of this, whatever it is, has already stated though that light was made before the Sun was created. Just contradicted himself. We don't know what was giving off light before He created the Sun, but again, our little sun is not the only thing capable of giving light.

# In an apparent endorsement of astrology, God places the sun, moon, and stars in the firmament so that they can be used "for signs". This, of course, is exactly what astrologers do: read "the signs" in the Zodiac in an effort to predict what will happen on Earth. 1:14

Wow, this guy is a complete idiot. Now he is taking phrases out of context to suit his needs. Here is the COMPLETE verse: Gensis 1:14 "And God said, let there be lights in the firmament of heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and, and for seasons, and for days, and for years:"
Nothing is said about the Zodiac (as it is used today). Signs is a indication of Hey Pollux is up, it must be winter. Not ohs noes! She's a scorpio and I'm Pisces, it would never work!

# "He made the stars also." God spends a day making light (before making the stars) and separating light from darkness; then, at the end of a hard day's work, and almost as an afterthought, he makes the trillions of stars. 1:16

More twisting. The "author" just gave a "quote" from a verse detailing his creation of the stars and what they were to be used for. Not just an after thought by his very own words.

# "And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth." 1:17

OK??

# God commands us to "be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over ... every living thing that moveth upon the earth." 1:28

Ideally yes. Before sin corrupted the world, we did ahve dominion over all living things. We are the prize of his creation. We were made for him, but the rest of it was made for us. And really when you consider our grasp of the universe and technology (however limited) we are not being driven to extinction by any living species. We ahve outlived the great predators, the only thing that might be giving us a run is bacteria/viruses. Yet with out intelligence we are beating them and staying alive (in most cases)

# "I have given you every herb ... and every tree ... for meat." 1:29

No idea what point he is trying to make here, unless it is the use the word "meat". In the days of King James the second, the word "meat" was used to describe anything edible....that's the only thing I can make out of that one

# God makes the animals and parades them before Adam to see if any would strike his fancy. But none seem to have what it takes to please him. (Although he was tempted to go for the sheep.) After making the animals, God has Adam name them all. The naming of several million species must have kept Adam busy for a while. 2:18-20

Phhtt. God didn't parade them in front of anybody. But he did allow Adam to name them all something that he could remember and have something to call them by. And I have no idea where he is getting that none of them pleased him, just read the passage for yourself. Yeah, I'm sure God paraded microbes, and bacteria in front of him and such . He more than likely paraded the species that were easily visible and the ones that Adam would ahve the most contact with. Plus the Bible never said how long it took him anyway, it might have take years for all we know...

# God's clever, talking serpent. 3:1

Not God's. Satan's.

# God walks and talks (to himself?) in the garden, and plays a little hide and seek with Adam and Eve. 3:8-11

It says meny times, that before Man's fall, God would actually show himself and speak audibly to his creation. God did not play hide and seek with Adam and Eve, he knew where they were. They were the ones hoping he didn't.

# God curses the serpent. From now on the serpent will crawl on his belly and eat dust. One wonders how he got around before -- by hopping on his tail, perhaps? But snakes don't eat dust, do they? 3:14

Hmm. So now we have a contradiction in the same paragraph. He does say that that snake is the only one that cursed (a common misconception is that all snakes were cursed), yet he then makes a comment referring to ALL snkaes eating dust...how does he know THAT snake did not eat dust? Was he there? If so, I guess he ahs a lot to tell the world doesn't he? As being described by someone who is...oh...probably 4,000 years BC, perhaps this serpent could be considered a dinosaur? Imagine some of the bipedal dinosaurs without legs, would it not look like a snake to you? We don't know what the word serpent was used for then. And it is possible that "serpent" is not the most accurate English equivalent.

# God curses the ground and causes thorns and thistles to grow. 3:17-18

OK??

# God kills some animals and makes some skin coats for Adam and Eve. 3:21

All throughout the Bible animal sacrifices have been used to cover up man's sin. This was the first example.

# God expels Adam and Eve from the garden before they get a chance to eat from that other tree -- the tree of life. God knows that if they do that, they well become "like one of us" and live forever. 3:22-24

OMG!! The ONLY forbidden tree was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. By this statement, it can most likely be assumed that they did/could eat of the Tree of Life. The Serpent was not referring to the Tree of Life, he was referring to the TotKoGE.

# Cain is worried after killing Abel and says, "Every one who finds me shall slay me." This is a strange concern since there were only two other humans alive at the time -- his parents! 4:14

BAHAHAHAHA!!!! Sure. Does the author happen to know that at the time of the slaying of Abel, both Cain and Able were well above 100 years old. If anyone cares, read the whole chapter (4) and you will see many referrences to other people at this time. Apparently Adam and Eve were part rabbit.

This is laughable and all I have time for right now. I can continue and dissect all of these, but some of you may have gotten the point by now. If not, I can continue later, lol.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

The bible is a very poorly written book the plot suck and the story line is all over the place

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Anyone who takes the words written in the Bible as 100% true need to get some help.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I've got a question for Wiarumas; if the big bang "theory" is true, then where did the space come from to contain all of the matter that supposedly blew up? Hmmm??? I must be the stupid one, because I've been trying to disprove it for 10 years with no luck. Have any of you taken the time to try to disprove it, or are you just going with what people have told you?

1997 Cobra Convertible 1 of 3 made with Crystal White paint, white top, and Saddle cloth interior.

Rollinthundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
Regular

Ok... where did God come from? Both Theories are severely flawed.

Reddit
Old 08-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Truth is, no one knows. He says He is the beginning and the end. Where did the air you breathe come from? You can't see it, but it's there.

1997 Cobra Convertible 1 of 3 made with Crystal White paint, white top, and Saddle cloth interior.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
Regular

I don't know. I just know someone creating themselves and then creating a whole world is a bit to much for me to take in and believe.

Reddit
Old 08-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you want to check out some opposing big bang theory and evolution stuff, check out Creation Science Evangelism - Creation, Evolution, Dinosaurs, and the Bible.. That's enough out of me, I just want to talk Mustangs.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The opposite view is you believe you came from a rock that turned into an ape that turned into a human? (short version) That one is hard to take for me.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #14
Regular

I'm not claiming to believe one theory or another. They are both too far fetched for me. I do not know how we got here. I just do not believe there is a supernatural being somewhere watching me and judging me....

Reddit
Old 08-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Right on. That's why we live in the greatest country on earth, so we can have our own opinions and freedoms.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Ok... where did God come from? Both Theories are severely flawed.
God by the very definition of a god is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient.

If he fails in either of these things, he cannot be god. If was not THE begining, the creator, than he was a creation and thusly not omnipotent, omniscient, or omnipresent.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #17
Regular

Yea ok.....

Reddit
Old 08-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Darkshadow, harumph!!:patriot:

Old 08-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Yea ok.....
I realized afterwards that should be qualified with a "If you believe in God". Otherwise it will still not make sense to you, lol.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

there are many theories that have not been proven... time will tell. Research the stitch theory.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Time, or death.:cloud:

Old 08-30-2006, 10:14 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
there are many theories that have not been proven... time will tell. Research the stitch theory.
Dammit! You keep saying that and all I get on a Google is a bunch of crosstiching and Lilo and Stich crap!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

maybe the "string theory" will give you better results
lol... I have yet to hear of this "stitch theory"... but string theory is pretty common lingo around the physics halls

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
maybe the "string theory" will give you better results
lol... I have yet to hear of this "stitch theory"... but string theory is pretty common lingo around the physics halls
Ok, yeah I've heard of string theroy, lol. It is pretty interesting.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:51 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinthundr View Post
I've got a question for Wiarumas; if the big bang "theory" is true, then where did the space come from to contain all of the matter that supposedly blew up? Hmmm??? I must be the stupid one, because I've been trying to disprove it for 10 years with no luck. Have any of you taken the time to try to disprove it, or are you just going with what people have told you?
i believe in the universe within a universe theory. hell we could be a whole universe stuffed inside a nucleus of

the reason we cannot comprehend farther than the big bang is because our minds are far too inferior to do so. i also believe that, as humans, to make ourselves feel less insignificant when we looked up to the skies, we created gods whos sole purposes were to watch over us, as to allieviate our fears that we are alone in the heavens. Most, being 99.9% of the population, cannot even fathom the size of the universe, its a mind bending conundrum of epic proportions. its one of those "you think you know, but you have no idea" deals.

i also believe humans either:

1) are not native to the earth - Possible descendants from mars?

2) were planted here by another race

and being a sci-fi dork i am, i believe there is no ****ing way we are alone in the galaxy, let alone the universe, so being as it may, what happens when we do encounter other-worldly beings? what happens to religion when we find out there Is something else out there? and then what happens when they show us where life originated from? then of course you know human nature well start a fight with said species cause war is in our nature and all that jazz.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

One time ET told me the secret to all of this ****, but I couldn't write it down 'cause I forgot my pen.

BTW, there are other "things" out there. They are made of mostly yogurt and can jump like friggin' seven feet high, despite the fact that their planet's gravity is greater than Earth. That's about all I could remember.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:50 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I ment string theory... sorry
Old 08-31-2006, 10:35 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302
They are made of mostly yogurt and can jump like friggin' seven feet high, despite the fact that their planet's gravity is greater than Earth. That's about all I could remember.
i believe they are tacos who poop ice cream.

anyone see that south park?

basically its an episode about how earth was created by aliens to be a giant reality tv show.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:53 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

My brain hurts.:hammer:

Old 08-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude View Post
what happens when we do encounter other-worldly beings? what happens to religion when we find out there Is something else out there? and then what happens when they show us where life originated from? then of course you know human nature well start a fight with said species cause war is in our nature and all that jazz.
Nothing.....

But we will probably try to fight whatever it is. A new form of raceism for us to latch onto.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:19 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I believe there's a hero in everyone.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar