More Cobra Awesomeness! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
More Cobra Awesomeness!

sorry but i have to share my newly profound respect for this vehicle.

Its dam fast. i get on it in 2nd and 3rd getting on the freeway at work, and i am still impressed at the power of this vehicle.

SpecV and Smurfin told me to take 3rd to the top and see how amazed i would be, and i was, though thats prolly the cars pulling gear.

i was wrong.

so im coming home from our monthly Stockton Area meet, 12 at night, no lights in either direction going south on I-5. 3 lanes all to myself with no onramps on this stretch for a good 2 miles, so IMO its pretty safe not only to other drivers, but for myself to stretch the cobras legs.

im taching 2500rpm in 6th at 80mph and i slam into 4th and lay hell. the needle instantly jumps from 80 to 120mph in a matter of seconds, in about the time it seriously takes to pronounce "Holy ****!" i hit 5th and take it to 145 where it was still pulling HARD. not gradually getting there, i mean i still had WAY more rpm's and pull. i stopped at 150(fastest ive been in a car, the GST topped out at 148 due to speed limiter)

ive been in fast cars. ive been in a older GT-S Viper when i was younger. ive been in alot of big turbo dsm's and the like. never have i seen a more prominent display of raw power than the 4th gear run in the cobra. only time ive ever see a MPH gauge and a Tach move in tandem is on a bike.

then another strange thing occured. we go to Six Flags Magic Mountain today, and while there, we all go on Superman: The Escape, (The one where they shoot you out on a car via magnetec acceleration up a ramp, you experience 0g's then fall back down to earth, it accelerates from 0-60 in like 3 seconds and reaches a top speed of 90mph before hitting the ramp). mind you, it was me, my best freind, another freind, and my boss(basically my freind as well), all have been in "jaunts" in the cobra(IE 2nd gear pulls), and only my best freind has been in me from launch to the end of 3rd in the cobra.

getting off the one buddy says "dam thats fast" and both my best freind and boss say "Yeah, i think thomas can take it though" and they were dead serious. my response was "Yeah, ok, i need vtec" but they were serious. we went on to the possible bench racing scenarios of length of the track versus my car on a road and the superman car using the same magnetic setup next to the drag strip, and how the car feels faster to the passenger because the passenger is focusing on the speed, while the driver has to focus on driving and cant appreciate the feel of the g's sucking you in.

they came up with, that if i raced the superman ride, the same length from the station to the apex of the ramp, that while the superman would outlaunch me out of the whole, i would have caught up and pulled it before hitting the apex.

so now im trying to find the length of track on the Superman ride from the station to the beginning of the curve(where it curves upward 90* and shoots you into space) and how long the car takes to accelerate from a dead stop to the apex.

BTW! - first mod completed. Anodized Black 6spd Billet Shift Knob. w3wt! 2nd mod on its way - SS Cobra Rear Inserts!

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: More Cobra Awesomeness!

All I'm going to say is to please be careful man.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
amen brotha. i have much respekt for teh cobra.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 01:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Do you think your every going to put a KB or Whipple or other upgraded power adder on it, or do you think its fast enough. :pop2:
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
Regular

Region: Tennessee

My next car will be a 2003/2004 Cobra

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
My next car will be a 2003/2004 Cobra
:yup: My thoughts exactly.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:18 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

You ***, I live near Magic Mountain. Thanks for the heads up

I was with my Evo buddies the other night too and they took me on a canyon run. Going 55-65 on a hair pin turn can make a grown man **** his pants.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
+1

BTW I hate you and your cobra haha jk man im hoping for next summer to be able to afford one. You 3 bastards here with your red cobras make all sorts of jealous...
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

those cars are sweet fastest car i've ever driven was a pullied 03 and i near **** my pants but like they say please be careful

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Fastest thing I've ever driven is a Supercomp dragster, it was incredible to say the least.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Do you think your every going to put a KB or Whipple or other upgraded power adder on it, or do you think its fast enough. :pop2:
well being in california putting a whipple/KB on is going to be an ordeal, because its not smog legal here, so id have to either find a stupid shop, or take it off come smog time and slap the eaton back on.

right now, it is fast enough, but as with everything, there comes a time where you get used to that fast, and its time for more.

ill probably end up going as far as i can with the eaton, IE stage5 porting from Stegemeir with my current 2.93 upper and a 4lb lower pulley, all cooling mods(heat exchanger/resevioir, radiator, the cooling mod which i forget but it needs the tranny removed), and start on suspension, since thats legal no matter what.

if its not enough ill run some nitrous, though i think seeing most making 500+hp with what i mentioned above, will be more than enough for streetable purposes. i can see nitrous being needed if i need to race a bike or something.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
You ***, I live near Magic Mountain. Thanks for the heads up

I was with my Evo buddies the other night too and they took me on a canyon run. Going 55-65 on a hair pin turn can make a grown man **** his pants.
sorry, it was very last minute. basically 4:00 friday me, my boss and my buddy were like "we should do something out of this valley tomorrow" and the general concensus was "Six Flags". we woke up at 4 in the morning to get everyone picked up and on the road by 5am. we stopped for starbucks and food at around 7 just outside of bakersfield and that took an hour, and we still made it to the ticket booths by 10:15.

took me 3 hours to get home, i think I-5 is way way faster than hwy99. i had our tahoe set on cruise at 86mph the whole way.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Aaah, only come by if you got your Cobra then ;P

JK man, but I'm sure my buddy would love to see how a quick race between your Cobra and his Evo would go.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Aaah, only come by if you got your Cobra then ;P

JK man, but I'm sure my buddy would love to see how a quick race between your Cobra and his Evo would go.
aah, yeah we were in teh Tahoe. unless i sell the GT, im gonna try to not put many miles on the cobra. even after selling the GT, ill be looking into a cheap beater, like a CRX or such. i found a crx shell for 300$ and my buddy is pricing out a complete b16 swap with vtak to see how much it would cost to get a quick little efficient dd. plus i can say things like "VEETAK" on the way to work.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

some guy in a BMW tried to get in front of me on the interstate the other day He got to hear 6,000+ rpms and the roots blower that said "Negative you get behind me"
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:38 AM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

If you were doing 80 you should have dumped it down into 3rd and really pulled. 80 is the top of second, so 3rd is right in the sweet spot go give you a nice instant pull. Although, if you power shift down to 3rd with it floored it will break lose at 80...or at least mine does.

But, the higher gears are fun aren't they? Amazing how you can keep pulling in 5th and 6th isn't it? BTW, 6th will also pull when you get up over 140. Just wait till you do some pulley and/or S/C swaps. It will make it harder and harder to stay off the gas.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Pushing the RPMs to close to redline....shifting out of third I would be between 130-140........NICE!!

Sure beats the POS I'm in now.
Riversnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
If you were doing 80 you should have dumped it down into 3rd and really pulled. 80 is the top of second, so 3rd is right in the sweet spot go give you a nice instant pull. Although, if you power shift down to 3rd with it floored it will break lose at 80...or at least mine does.

But, the higher gears are fun aren't they? Amazing how you can keep pulling in 5th and 6th isn't it? BTW, 6th will also pull when you get up over 140. Just wait till you do some pulley and/or S/C swaps. It will make it harder and harder to stay off the gas.
I Hate You and Your Cobra :approve:
Old 10-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang View Post
I Hate You and Your Cobra :approve:
Don't hate the playa....hate the game... /Booker T...aka King Booker
Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't hate the playa....hate the game... /Booker T...aka King Booker
awesome to bad he doesnt do the spinaroonie anymore i miss that ****
Old 10-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang View Post
awesome to bad he doesnt do the spinaroonie anymore i miss that ****
He sold out...traded in the spinaroonie for a leprechan (Finley) and a homoriffic version of William Regal....
Old 10-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He sold out...traded in the spinaroonie for a leprechan (Finley) and a homoriffic version of William Regal....
i seen that the other day i was just like wtf happen...I watch raw mostly and sometimes the wwe version of "ecw" cause that **** isnt ecw well minus last week when bob holly got dropped that was a juicy gash mmhms
Old 10-02-2006, 12:46 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
i still dont know the gearing well enough to know what gear and what rpm's i will be at, so i didnt want to chance over-revving it just for 500rpm. not like i was racing anybody, i just wanted to see what it would do, spur the moment kind of thing.

remember, it already has a 2.93" pulley, billetflow TB and a amazon tune, bassani xpipe and catback.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
i still dont know the gearing well enough to know what gear and what rpm's i will be at, so i didnt want to chance over-revving it just for 500rpm. not like i was racing anybody, i just wanted to see what it would do, spur the moment kind of thing.

remember, it already has a 2.93" pulley, billetflow TB and a amazon tune, bassani xpipe and catback.
Does it have a lower pulley upgrade as well? If you decide you want to go 2.76 upper, let me know. I am taking mine off and putting a 3.10 upper on with a 6# lower.

And, when you decide you don't want that BF TB piece of junk, I will sacrifice myself and gladly trade you my stocker.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

if there was a local dyno that I trust I would get mine tuned... but I am still researching, chances are it will be a far away dyno lol... I could get a baseline locally though at bamachips.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #26
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
if there was a local dyno that I trust I would get mine tuned... but I am still researching, chances are it will be a far away dyno lol... I could get a baseline locally though at bamachips.
If you just wanted a base tune for the car in it's stock form, there are a number of places that could hit it dead on without you being there. However, as you well know, when you do the pulley it will be better to get on the dyno for the tune.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea, if I am going to do it I am going to do it right.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

Without hesitation....my recommendation is Dynospeed in Memphis. Its only three turns to get to their shop from Hwy 72. About 2 1/2 hour drive from Sheffield. Not too bad.

Great bunch of guys. Will not be disappointed. Both owners and at least two of the employees have/drive Cobras.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #29
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversnake View Post
Without hesitation....my recommendation is Dynospeed in Memphis. Its only three turns to get to their shop from Hwy 72. About 2 1/2 hour drive from Sheffield. Not too bad.

Great bunch of guys. Will not be disappointed. Both owners and at least two of the employees have/drive Cobras.
Negative...I say stang Hi performance here in baton rouge...mainly because I want to see what it is like to not be the only redfire vert in town. lol
Old 10-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

thats why I love american muscle the pretty boys with thier imports cant touch a properly tuned and built v8.I know for my next car I'm gonna get a stang I really want a fox but they wifes for some reason hates the style so I might go for a 4.6 and this time I'm gonna get a manual I miss shifting with my SD one reason I like to drive my brothers SD is its got a six speed and I have added cold air so you can hear the turbo whine next or well in the mail is the hypertech stage three kit so much for my little rant
Old 10-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Negative...I say stang Hi performance here in baton rouge...mainly because I want to see what it is like to not be the only redfire vert in town. lol
Ahhh, but Memphis is much more "local" to Spector than BR....
Old 10-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #32
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversnake View Post
Ahhh, but Memphis is much more "local" to Spector than BR....
But not more local to me....what about my needs...lol
Old 10-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Does it have a lower pulley upgrade as well? If you decide you want to go 2.76 upper, let me know. I am taking mine off and putting a 3.10 upper on with a 6# lower.

And, when you decide you don't want that BF TB piece of junk, I will sacrifice myself and gladly trade you my stocker.
nah stock lower. it has 100mm idlers, i guess to help belt slip :dunno:

i dont plan on changing out the lower till the blower is ported and i have all my cooling and fuel mods done. no sense in upping the psi just for bragging rights and blowing hot air.

then again, if what my insurance just sent me is correct, as in, 2,500$ for 6months, i might have to let her go. sucks but i can still make 6-7k profit on it and throw that all into the GT, do the 5.4L/4v/Nitrous/6spd combo i always wanted for the car. but well see, i think thats 2,500 for all 5 cars for 6months. my dad is going crazy now and is gonna call tomorrow and ***** them out.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

500 per car for 6 months? That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I say ditch the GT and keep the cobra though...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #35

Region: Indiana

I wish I had a terminator.

1990 Mustang GT
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar